Fish Tales - Flipper coils pulsing when held on

By JKirby

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,

I can hear the flipper coils on my Fish Tales 'pulsing' when the they are held up, resulting in a full power flip, and then a noticebly weakened flip. Entire flipper assembly is new, and the EOS switches work in switch test. Fliptronics board (rottendog) has been swapped with another RD fliptronics board, same result.

Any ideas where I should start looking to resolve?

Thanks,

Joe

#2 2 years ago

Hi !

So you can hear the coils when buttons are pressed down ?

When you hold the flipper and then let go and press the button, the flipper action is slow coming up ?

Is this something that has unfolded in front of you ? Your flippers worked fine and now this ?

Could you make a video ?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from JadedHesher:

Hi !
So you can hear the coils when buttons are pressed down ?
When you hold the flipper and then let go and press the button, the flipper action is slow coming up ?
Is this something that has unfolded in front of you ? Your flippers worked fine and now this ?
Could you make a video ?

Hi Jared,

Yes, you can hear them pulse when the flippers are held in. I'm in the middle of a total rebuild of the machine so I'm not sure when it started exactly (machine was in pieces for waaaaaaaay too long).

I'll try to make a video this evening.

Thanks,

Joe

#4 2 years ago

Well, I got nothing else to go on so i'm gonna call it ...

Your flippers seem to be experiencing drag caused by either the plunger shaft/ coil sleeve or maybe the linkage.

The buzz/hum/pulse is normal. A lot of people go years without noticing it. Some people claim only stern machines do it, others claim its fixable ...

It is what it is. When you're at an arcade and the machines are loud and music is blaring, you don't notice. A lot of people notice when they play their machine without glass for the first time.

I've seen experienced pinball technicians chase their tale around trying to "fix" it. Swearing something is wrong.

It sounds like the flippers drag while moving up but not down, which tells me your return springs are strong.

There's a few videos on fixing the flipper buzz but they're comedy bits that end in telling the viewer that flipper buzz is nornal.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-flipper-coils-pulsing-when-held-on?hl=jadedhesher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.