Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by freezie
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2011-11-18_23-23-15_192.jpg
2011-11-17_18-48-27_454.jpg
2011-11-12_10-16-28_409.jpg
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG

#1 6 years ago

With all the tips, I had my first attempt at re-decaling my FT. Also did some other suggested mods - blue bumper caps, white elastics, LEDd the playfield, flipper change over.
Happy with the result, but could have got the front decal straighter (I'm a dumb ass).

IMG_0552.JPG // Error: Image 116489 not found // IMG_0711.JPG IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0725.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0702.JPG

#2 6 years ago

Looks great, nice work, I miss my FT, great game!

#3 6 years ago

Looks good! I like the flippers.

#4 6 years ago

Great work! Fish Tales will be my brother and I's first decal effort as well!

#5 6 years ago

awesome looking, but for the love of pete, put lightning flippers on it!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

awesome looking, but for the love of pete, put lightning flippers on it!

They are lightning flippers, as far as I know (they have the bolts printed on them)

#7 6 years ago

"If you want the game to play the way I designed it. Throw the lightning.flippers in the trash where they belong" -Pyhton Angelo

#8 6 years ago

To cool! mind sharing where you found them? they look great, I thought you went to full size to get the better look

"I love playing FT with lightning flippers!" - me

#9 6 years ago

The German site - http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/flipper-components-flipper-c-167_212.html?language=english

matched the green ones with the yellow rubbers to match the fish mouth.
The origianal lightning flippers are smaller aren't they? I prefer these. game goes much faster.

#10 6 years ago

Hey,

Quick question, as I may be attempting this myself. I don't want to make you look bad in any way, but would like to learn from you. What caused you problems on the front decal, and what would you recommend to avoid it in the future? Thanks.

Luke

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

The German site - http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/flipper-components-flipper-c-167_212.html?language=english
matched the green ones with the yellow rubbers to match the fish mouth.
The origianal lightning flippers are smaller aren't they? I prefer these. game goes much faster.

Too bad they have an X instead of the W logo on them.. looking for these for a while..

#12 6 years ago

I'm think of giving it a try myself soon

#13 6 years ago

I will be doing this this winter for sure .

#14 6 years ago

Hey,
Quick question, as I may be attempting this myself. I don't want to make you look bad in any way, but would like to learn from you. What caused you problems on the front decal, and what would you recommend to avoid it in the future? Thanks.
Luke

I can make myself look bad, don't worry about that. I just didn't line up the circle over the start button properly, so the decal was too far to the left. Because the decal is much larger than the surface it's coverning, there is some latitude to do it incorrectly, which I capitalised onto.
I dedided not to use the wet/soapy method as I was doing it on carpet and didn't compeley strip the machine down. Once you apply the decal, the thing is stuck. I used clamps to help on the sides.

IMG_0722.JPG

#15 6 years ago

Fish Tales is such a stupid good game, so addicting!

#16 6 years ago

Waiting on the side rails I see

#18 6 years ago

Decalling over the old decals?? Sure you CAN do it but honestly I would keep the originals vs spending the money to do it that way. But if you are happy with how it came out that's all that matters (until you sell it of course)

#19 6 years ago

Good job for a first timer!!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

"I love playing FT with lightning flippers!" - me

I have to agree, I hated them at first, but got used to playing with them. I believe it adds to the challenge of FT and improves your overall skill with flipper saves on other games. They are really annoying at first, I am glad I kept them in the game

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Decalling over the old decals?? Sure you CAN do it but honestly I would keep the originals vs spending the money to do it that way. But if you are happy with how it came out that's all that matters (until you sell it of course)

A number of signwriters I know have all said to leave the old decals on, smooth out the cabinet and apply the new stickers over the top.

Their reasoning is that the new stickers adhere to the old decals much better than they do to plywood.

Who am I to argue with a professional?

So I do all mine this way too. Never had an issue. Whereas I have seen a couple of "take it back to the plywood" jobs where the stickers have lifted on the edges.

rd.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Their reasoning is that the new stickers adhere to the old decals much better than they do to plywood.

I thought, once the decals have been removed, and the cabinet prepped, you paint the cabinet prior to installing the new decals.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I thought, once the decals have been removed, and the cabinet prepped, you paint the cabinet prior to installing the new decals.

Yes.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Can't see the point in that myself. But each to their own.

I always paint the inside of the cabinets. Don't see the point of doing the outside if you are going to put stickers on the top. Will they stick better to paint than wood? I would think so. Would they stick better to old stickers? I would think so.

rd.

#25 6 years ago

2011-11-12_10-16-28_409.jpg2011-11-18_23-23-15_192.jpg2011-11-17_18-48-27_454.jpgMy AFM came to me with decals installed over the old ones. You could see the outline of the old under the new, everywhere they werent in the exact same location. They were peeling off at every edge. Maybe the guy just did a crummy install, but I sanded/painted/ installed decals and they came out pretty good for a 1st attempt. The other detail is that prep is half the work. If you don't fill in every dent and scratch they look way worse and exaggerated once new decals are over them. By sanding/ bondo filling/sanding/painting, you can see that the surface is smooth before in stalling the decals. Just my experience, this FT looks awesome from what I see.

1 week later
#26 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

My AFM came to me with decals installed over the old ones. You could see the outline of the old under the new, everywhere they werent in the exact same location. They were peeling off at every edge. Maybe the guy just did a crummy install, but I sanded/painted/ installed decals and they came out pretty good for a 1st attempt. The other detail is that prep is half the work. If you don't fill in every dent and scratch they look way worse and exaggerated once new decals are over them. By sanding/ bondo filling/sanding/painting, you can see that the surface is smooth before in stalling the decals. Just my experience, this FT looks awesome from what I see.

I know the decals are usually way bigger than the cabinet, are you cutting them to size before installing? I will be doing this soon and plan on doing a lot of sanding, filling, sanding and painting before installing. Do you like the wet method? I thought I saw a post a few weeks ago somewhere on pinside where someone was recommending a product that would allow the decal to be put on wet but then once the water is squeegeed out it helped with adhesion. Anyone ever use something like this? I am installing inner cabinet decals as well so I might just prep and paint the whole inside of the cabinet down to the bottom and leave the bottom natural (try to clean it up the best I can) I dont know if this will be acceptable or not.

#27 6 years ago

The way it's been explained to me is, the adhesive on the vinyl is contained within millions of tiny bubbles which is released when you apply pressure. Yes, there is some present to get the vinyl to stick initially. Once applied, I go over all the surfaces with a laminate roller and push like a mofo.

#28 6 years ago

install decals first, then cut with a straight edge. my pic showz the decal hanging over the edge. I used that stuff to install it with the wet method. I can't recall the name, but I can look in the garage if you need. It worked great. Squeegee it out, cut decals to fit and let dry. The wet allows you a last "oh shit" adjustment if you need to reposition.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

install decals first, then cut with a straight edge. my pic showz the decal hanging over the edge. I used that stuff to install it with the wet method. I can't recall the name, but I can look in the garage if you need. It worked great. Squeegee it out, cut decals to fit and let dry. The wet allows you a last "oh shit" adjustment if you need to reposition.

Would the same solution you use to apply window tints work likely? I have some of that left over from a window tinting I did. I know it's a purer solution than something like windex and is chemically engineered to work well and keep the receiving surface clean.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

AFM decals look great, I'd like to know the name of the product as well, also is there a tutorial that you watched on how to do/use it, I also have a FT that needs new decals? Cheers.

Edit: FT decals job by Op looks awesome as well, hope mine turns out as well.

#31 6 years ago

Rapid Tac?

Worked great for me.

#32 6 years ago

that's it! thanks.
Thanks fr the compliment I watched several videos, but honestly I can't remember who posted them. Prep is the key, take yoir time sanding and filling. There is a spot I missed and it drives me crazy that I didnt see it while I was sanding.

#33 6 years ago

FT decal job looks great. I did my first backbox decal job tonight. Used Windex. Repainted the top and back as well. The cabinet decals are tomorrow.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Rapid Tac?
Worked great for me.

Quoted from yzfguy:

that's it! thanks.
Thanks fr the compliment I watched several videos, but honestly I can't remember who posted them. Prep is the key, take yoir time sanding and filling. There is a spot I missed and it drives me crazy that I didnt see it while I was sanding.

Yeah you guys have all done a great job on decals! I will one day need to re-redecal my AFM as the last job isnt the best(but also isnt the worst im sure). Ive never done the decals on a pinball machine but I have applied plenty to dirt bike shrouds and side panels so I should be ok. I just hope it looks good because it isnt my machine I am doing it to! Thats why I am trying to ask the questions now so I have no major surprises. Thanks for your help guys!

#35 6 years ago

Nice Job..mine is next I hope.I have to sell a full TOM cabinet set I done need first

#36 6 years ago

I did my snowmobile with rapid tac, the stuff works fantastic.with the odd shape of the sleds I couldn't have done it without the rapid tac.
http://s81.photobucket.com/user/freezier134a/slideshow/Sleds

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside