Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8643-web.jpg
image-932.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_8647-web.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Just got my Fish Tales and the drop target wasnt working so I lifted the hood and realized that two wries were dangling. A dark brown / green wire and a light brown yellow. And two solder head of coils missing each a wire. Since I dont have the schematics or manual yet I was wondering if someone could take a quick look under their FTs ad let me know which goes were.

Thanks.

IMG_8647-web.jpgIMG_8647-web.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Your game can tell you.

Go to coil test, scroll through to that coil. Hit the start button, and then start hitting the + diagnostic button. This steps you through coil, transistor, fuse, connector, WIRE COLORS, etc.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

The two dangling wires don`t seem to be the right gauge either unless I'm mistaking.

#4 10 years ago

Light brown with yellow stripe goes to the green coil and the brown wire with green stripe goes to the smaller yellow coil. They are indeed small guage wires.

#5 10 years ago

Don't reconnect them without testing the driverboard! My guess is the transistor that drives the solenoid is shorted on. I had this exact same situation with mine. I put a new coil in, hooked it up, smoked the new one.

#6 10 years ago

The power wires are the same for both coils. The reset coil control side is brown and the drop target drop coil (small one) is brown/green. Take note of the side mine are connected to. Yours seems reversed on the reset coil but I not sure if that matters since these do not have a diode

Also - I am guessing those are disconnected for a reason. Put a meter across the both coils lugs one at a time. Of they read 0 ohms they are dead coils

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-932.jpgimage-932.jpg

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Don't reconnect them without testing the driverboard! My guess is the transistor that drives the solenoid is shorted on. I had this exact same situation with mine. I put a new coil in, hooked it up, smoked the new one.

Ive never tested a driver board before. Any pointers... kinda like A B C. Ive been very lucky with the past games that I have had and never really had to test anything. I popped the target up manually and it locks in place. when it gets hit by the ball the target drops.

Here`s another angle.

Quoted from Chrizg:

Yours seems reversed on the reset coil but I not sure if that matters since these do not have a diode

Also - I am guessing those are disconnected for a reason. Put a meter across the both coils lugs one at a time. Of they read 0 ohms they are dead coils

Do you have this diode hooked up to your assembly?

IMG_8643-web.jpgIMG_8643-web.jpg
#8 10 years ago

You'll need a multimeter with a diode test setting. Here's a thread I started at RGP 3+ years ago as a noob.

http://rgparchive-removed.com/rgpforum/showthread.php?t=270509

LTG taking me to school. It has the transistor number to inspect.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Ive never tested a driver board before. Any pointers... kinda like A B C. Ive been very lucky with the past games that I have had and never really had to test anything. I popped the target up manually and it locks in place. when it gets hit by the ball the target drops.
Here`s another angle.

Do you have this diode hooked up to your

These two coils do not have diodes.. Per pinwiki for the coil

13 Testing a coil

If a driver transistor shorts on, it will cause the associated solenoid to activate at full power and stay activated. If the coil wire gets hot enough, it will burn out its plastic coating, shorting the wires and dropping the resistance to near 0 Ohms. If this happens and you replace the broken driver transistor, but you don't check the coil, the shorted coil will cause the transistor you just replaced to be damaged.
If you are unsure of the condition of the coils in a machine it is very wise to check each coil's resistance *before* switching the machine on. The human nose can be a very useful tool in diagnosing when something has burned, so use it!
Some flipper coils are "two coils in one," where they have a power coil and a hold coil. These are normally identified as having three lugs instead of two. You can treat these as two "separate" coils for the purposes of the tests below.

13.1 Testing resistance

To test a coil's resistance:
set your DMM to 'Ohms' and attach your red and black probes to the coil lugs.
If you see a reading of less than 2 Ohms, the coil has either shorted internally or there is a wiring fault. Note: Some flipper coils will read less than 2 ohms but still be fine.
Desolder the wires going to the coil lugs and check the resistance across the coil lugs again. If it reads the same value when disconnected, then the problem lies with the melted coil. If the coil resistance reads 'normal' when it is disconnected (ie the coil is 'ok'), you may have a wiring or driver transistor issue.
It is wise to check all wiring and transistors associated with a melted coil before replacing it and powering on again.

Transistor

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-drop-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.