You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

blnk.jpg
15809513218313131690507141288406 (resized).jpg
5C4F2A9C-0B6C-4BD9-A36E-18F756683DBD (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

My Fish Tales power driver board slowly died over the last couple months.

The symptoms I'm experiencing are that none of the lights on the cabinet come on when I turn on the machine. The DMD works absolutely fine and I can even start a game, but only the flippers have power, not even the ball launch has power.

This was a slow death crawl that progressed. In the beginning, I could power on the machine and everything would become normal after maybe 10 seconds. Then that progressed to 1 minute, now it has progressed to 5 to 10 minutes.

I know that if I swap in a rotten dog board all of the problems go away, so I narrowed it down to the power driver board. I've done the usual troubleshooting, checking and reseating all the couplers multiple times, replacing fuses, reflowing cold solder joints. I even replaced a bridge rectifier that looked potentially problematic.

Not sure what to check next. Here are some voltages I took while the machine did not have illumination:

TP1 13.92
TP2 4.91
TP3 11.89
TP4 .368
TP5 -.06 mv
TP6 70.4
TP7 20.8
TP8 16

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 4 years ago

The main cable ribbon that connects from the driver board to the CPU board what condition is that in?Keep in mind ribbon cables play a big role and over time they do go bad...(just a thought)

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

The main cable ribbon that connects from the driver board to the CPU board what condition is that in?Keep in mind ribbon cables play a big role and over time they do go bad...(just a thought)

That's a good thought and something I did consider, I tried swapping out a ribbon cable from another game at one point and that did not correct the problem. The cable in the game currently looks to be in excellent condition.

It feels like a voltage or capacitance issue, but I just don't know how to tackle it.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

That's a good thought and something I did consider, I tried swapping out a ribbon cable from another game at one point and that did not correct the problem. The cable in the game currently looks to be in excellent condition.
It feels like a voltage or capacitance issue, but I just don't know how to tackle it.

Yeah,have you tried installing the rottendog driver board just to see if problems go away? The board that’s giving you trouble sounds like BR1 or BR2 issue.I know you have stated that you have replaced a BR But might need to be tested in diode setting on the meter.

#5 4 years ago

Here’s some more info from another thread about testing BR from Chris Hibler

5C4F2A9C-0B6C-4BD9-A36E-18F756683DBD (resized).png5C4F2A9C-0B6C-4BD9-A36E-18F756683DBD (resized).png
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Here’s some more info from another thread about testing BR from Chris Hibler[quoted image]

When I plug in the Rottendog driver board, all problems go away.
I already replaced BR2 since it was failing the diode test, I just pulled the board again and checked all the BRs including the new one and they pass the diode test.

I did notice that led number 3 was blinking at some point when the machine was booting up (I think that is for low voltage detection). Based on the voltage readings in my first post that would make sense.

#7 4 years ago

Maybe another piece of useful information, the longer I wait in between turning on the machine, the longer it takes to turn on completely. if I wait an hour or two in between turning on the system, everything turns on normally quickly. If I wait a day, it takes a minute or two. If I wait a couple days, it takes up to 10 minutes.

That really feels like a capacitor issue, but looking at all the capacitors they look fine. Is there a way to test them?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Maybe another piece of useful information, the longer I wait in between turning on the machine, the longer it takes to turn on completely. if I wait an hour or two in between turning on the system, everything turns on normally quickly. If I wait a day, it takes a minute or two. If I wait a couple days, it takes up to 10 minutes.
That really feels like a capacitor issue, but looking at all the capacitors they look fine. Is there a way to test them?

With a MM, if the ohms steadily climb it’s good, there’s a +/- on the capacitor, - will have a stripe on it

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

With a MM, if the ohms steadily climb it’s good, there’s a +/- on the capacitor, - will have a stripe on it

Thanks for the tip! I will try testing them.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

So I just checked and C2 on the board steadily declines in ohms when I check it. Does that mean it is bad then? It does look somewhat suspect like it has already been replaced and there is a wire trace someone added for it to connect to what I think is a transistor with a heat sink on it (see pic).

There was some other capacitors, mostly the very large ones, that I could not get any ohm readings on.

15809513218313131690507141288406 (resized).jpg15809513218313131690507141288406 (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago

I also saw that if C2 goes bad usually the fliptronics go haywire. The flippers are the one thing in the machine that actually work immediately when booting up. I'm still quite at a loss of what to do here.

#12 4 years ago

Is there continuity between J113-pin31 and U2-pin1 ? (Both on powerdriverboard)

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Is there continuity between J113-pin31 and U2-pin1 ? (Both on powerdriverboard)

No there is not. Should there be?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Should there be?

Yes.

You can put a wire between J113-31 and U1-1 and U2-1
.....or fix the trace in red circle

blnk.jpgblnk.jpg

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Yes.
You can put a wire between J113-31 and U1-1 and U2-1
.....or fix the trace in red circle
[quoted image]

You, sir, are a godsend! First of all, I can't believe you were able to diagnose my issue so easily, and second of all I can't believe your eagle eyes to see that the trace was bad. I put in a jumper wire, and everything is perfect. Thank you so much, my friend across the ocean!!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

everything is perfect.

daveyvandy

Good call from zaza . However, everything won't be perfect for long. C2 has leaked and needs to be repaired along with cleaning up/repairing the traces around it. As these boards age, C2 leaks fairly frequently. What leaked from it is what corroded pin 1 of that chip and severed the connection. In this case, replacing and repairing the area around C2 is an "ounce of prevention"...

I can take care of it if you'd like. Drop me a PM. Happy to help.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

daveyvandy
Good call from zaza . However, everything won't be perfect for long. C2 has leaked and needs to be repaired along with cleaning up/repairing the traces around it. As these boards age, C2 leaks fairly frequently. What leaked from it is what corroded pin 1 of that chip and severed the connection. In this case, replacing and repairing the area around C2 is an "ounce of prevention"...
I can take care of it if you'd like. Drop me a PM. Happy to help.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Ah, thanks for the explanation. It all makes sense now. I'll definitely hit you up if I have any further problems. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 169.00
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-driver-board-problem?hl=daveyvandy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.