Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200727_191727 (2) (resized).jpg
IMG_20200802_143428 (resized).jpg
IMG_0158 (resized).jpg
IMG_0157 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

You don’t need a multimeter to confirm some of these components need changing....

IMG_20200727_191727 (2) (resized).jpgIMG_20200727_191727 (2) (resized).jpg

I changed the components highlighted (Q4, Q5, Q6, D4, D4 & R5) in yellow except BR2 as I have tested it and it seems fine.

IMG_0157 (resized).jpgIMG_0157 (resized).jpgIMG_0158 (resized).jpgIMG_0158 (resized).jpg

BR Test using Multimeter in Diode testing mode gets a reading of between 0.5v to 0.7v for :
==> -ve MM lead on either the AC legs & +ve MM lead on the -ve DC leg of Bridge Rectifier BR2
==> +ve MM lead on either the AC legs & -ve MM lead on the +ve DC leg of Bridge Rectifier BR2

IMG_20200802_143428 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_143428 (resized).jpg

All looking good and thought I was on for a quick easy fix but put it back in the game with the DMD unplugged and fuse F602 blows straight away.

FYI I have tested it in another machine so it's definitely the DMD Controller Board.

==> Is it possible that the Bridge Rectifier (BR2) can test ok but at higher voltage cause issues??

==> Are there any other components which could cause F602 to blow which I have not yet replaced??

I think I will be replacing BR2 just in case.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

#2 3 years ago

C9 which is a .1 uf @ 500 volt ceramic disc capacitor.

C7 which is 150 uf @ 160 volt electrolytic. I use a 220 uf @ 160 volt as a replacement.

Definitely replace that bridge rectifier anyway. It's dirt cheap.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Evangelist:

You don’t need a multimeter to confirm some of these components need changing....
[quoted image]
I changed the components highlighted (Q4, Q5, Q6, D4, D4 & R5) in yellow except BR2 as I have tested it and it seems fine.
[quoted image][quoted image]
BR Test using Multimeter in Diode testing mode gets a reading of between 0.5v to 0.7v for :
==> -ve MM lead on either the AC legs & +ve MM lead on the -ve DC leg of Bridge Rectifier BR2
==> +ve MM lead on either the AC legs & -ve MM lead on the +ve DC leg of Bridge Rectifier BR2
[quoted image]
All looking good and thought I was on for a quick easy fix but put it back in the game with the DMD unplugged and fuse F602 blows straight away.
FYI I have tested it in another machine so it's definitely the DMD Controller Board.
==> Is it possible that the Bridge Rectifier (BR2) can test ok but at higher voltage cause issues??
==> Are there any other components which could cause F602 to blow which I have not yet replaced??
I think I will be replacing BR2 just in case.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

In one direction, you should get .5-.7 in the other, you should get infinite. If its bad, you might get 0. You didn't list the measurement in the other direction.

As Ken said, replace both of the filter caps C4 and C7. It could have failed shorted.

1 week later
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

C9 which is a .1 uf @ 500 volt ceramic disc capacitor.
C7 which is 150 uf @ 160 volt electrolytic. I use a 220 uf @ 160 volt as a replacement.
Definitely replace that bridge rectifier anyway. It's dirt cheap.

BR2 replaced and found C9 was shorted so replaced it... DMD working now like it did in 1994.

Thanks

#6 3 years ago

Congrats on the fix!

This is an example why you don't overfuse a circuit. If you would have simply tried a larger fuse in that circuit, you could have burned traces off that board making the fix more difficult and messy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

12,500 (OBO)
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-dmd-controler-board-fuse-f602-blowing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.