View topic image gallery

IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
ft_overlay.jpg
image2.jpeg
image.jpeg
#1 12 years ago

I'm in the market for a Fish Tales. Most of the ones I've seen so far have moderate to serious wear on the insert decals above the flippers (which is pretty typical). I see that there is an overlay for this particular problem available: http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=256

Anyone out there using this? Does it blend in with the rest of the playfield art well? Also, I'm wondering if it affects gameplay at all by having an additional overlay right in the center of the playfield.

Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

I used the 4 separate fish decals. Used the windex trick and they look perfect. I am sure the big one would work exactly the same.

Super easy to install just clean the PF really good and line it up

Mat

#3 12 years ago

Theres a nice FT here in FL for 2200.

#4 12 years ago

Just bought a fish tales with insert wear and wondering the same thing. Anyone have any experience with the durability of these decals and whether they affect play ? It seems the single large decal would work best as long as you can get it properly aligned.

Jerry

#5 12 years ago

I replaced the insert decals on my FT, its not too hard, i just used sharp razors to peel the original insert decals then pasted the fresh ones on. If you end up having to do this, make sure you order the decals that wont need clear coat over the top of them, otherwise they will wear very easy.

#6 12 years ago

I can't imagine it would be any worse than playing the game with a chunk of mylar on top of them.

I say go for it! Just make sure you use the "wet technique" when you apply them. It allows for a repositioning if you lay it down incorrectly.

On a side note, I just finished fixing/cleaning the one I bought last week. FT rocks! I blame not liking it before on never being able to play on a working/well maintained machine before.

#7 12 years ago

yeah those fish decals is a real bummer mine has wear on all 4 fish. i wish that section wasnt so prone to problems

#8 12 years ago

we hit the jackpot when we picked up our FT (no pun intended). PF almost perfect, just needs new decals to make it a 2000+ game.

1 week later
#9 12 years ago
Quoted from TJ141:

I replaced the insert decals on my FT, its not too hard, i just used sharp razors to peel the original insert decals then pasted the fresh ones on. If you end up having to do this, make sure you order the decals that wont need clear coat over the top of them, otherwise they will wear very easy.

I'm picking up a Fish Tales tonight!

It's in pretty good condition, but the very ends of the triangle "tail" insert decals are starting to show wear. I won't need to replace them right away, but will need to eventually. Where did you buy your replacement decals that don't need clear coat? Most I've seen online don't indicate one way or the other.

#10 12 years ago

The overlays are nice. Be careful the wax you use. the art can come off if it's not sealed

#11 12 years ago

Congrats! Fish Tales is a great game

#12 12 years ago

Fish Tales is a fun game,it,s fun just to go out to the garage
and knock out a couple games.My insert problem is with the
smaller stringer of fish higher up on pf.The far right one is completely
missing. What's the best way to repair this problem?

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

I say go for it! Just make sure you use the "wet technique" when you apply them. It allows for a repositioning if you lay it down incorrectly.

I've re-levelled the inserts and will be applying the overlay as soon as it arrives (hopefully by Friday). Can someone please explain the "wet technique" to me? I thought that was more for cabinet decals.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I used the 4 separate fish decals. Used the windex trick and they look perfect. I am sure the big one would work exactly the same.
Super easy to install just clean the PF really good and line it up
Mat

did you removed the old inserts before you put the new ones on?

9 months later
#15 11 years ago

Anyone have a picture of their playfield with the decal installed?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

I've re-levelled the inserts and will be applying the overlay as soon as it arrives (hopefully by Friday). Can someone please explain the "wet technique" to me? I thought that was more for cabinet decals.

The wet technique is spraying windex lightly on the sticky side of the decal and applying it to the playfield position. Once in position, it allows you to squeegy with a credit card or any other flat hard object, the decal so it has no air bubbles. The liquid will squeeze out, allowing for a perfect, no air bubble application. Just allow to dry after wiping excess off.

#17 11 years ago

I had a fish tales with horrible wear on the whole middle fish area. I used the decal from mad and it blended in perfectly. I also used the wet method. I was scared to use much, but just a little water did the trick for me. I'm sure I have a picture. I will post shortly

#18 11 years ago

I have a FT and I ordered the individual fish inserts.

They didnt fit. As you can see in the picture I had to make a cut to make it 'long' enough to fit the fish.

Had the same issue with the insert covers for Roadshow (the fish actually!). Simply too small to fit.

Never did get the issue resolved with the seller but thats a post for a different section!

image.jpegimage.jpeg image2.jpegimage2.jpeg

#19 11 years ago

I ordered one of the big decals vs. the individual fish

Quoted from GameyMcGame:I have a FT and I ordered the individual fish inserts.
They didnt fit. As you can see in the picture I had to make a cut to make it 'long' enough to fit the fish.
Had the same issue with the insert covers for roadshow (the fish actually!). Simply too small to fit.
Never did get the issue resolved with the seller but thats a post for a different section!

Thanks for posting the pics!
I'm ordering the big decal as opposed to the individual fish. I've never installed an overlay decal before so I hope it turns out OK. The wet method using Windex seems to be the way to go from what I've read. I plan on posting some before and after pics when I'm finished.

#20 11 years ago

Post some progress pictures as you do it , I'm thinking I might have to do the same ,if my deal works out .

#21 11 years ago

Pic of Fish Tales with decal....shitty quality pic.

ft_overlay.jpgft_overlay.jpg

#22 11 years ago

they are ok, but they are better if your restoring the field. I've done them a lot for people. The first ones I did kinda sucked, because they are more transparent than you may think. So you have to get every little bit of art off that insert before using them, or you'll see it when it's backlit. But then you have to level them out in clearcoat, or you will get ball redirection from the mylar patch.

5 months later
#23 10 years ago

I put my decal on. I plan on getting the CPR playfield whenever that comes out in a year or two, so I didn't spend a ton of time on prep & application. The decal is decent, it's a little too transparent for $50 or whatever it cost. The outline shows up with GI in a dark room, but it looks pretty darn good from player perspective with the game off. I sprayed it with water and squished it out once i was happy with placement.

IMG_0494.jpgIMG_0494.jpgIMG_1103.jpgIMG_1103.jpg IMG_1104.jpgIMG_1104.jpg

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I put my decal on. I plan on getting the CPR playfield whenever that comes out in a year or two, so I didn't spend a ton of time on prep & application. The decal is decent, it's a little too transparent for $50 or whatever it cost. The outline shows up with GI in a dark room, but it looks pretty darn good from player perspective with the game off. I sprayed it with water and squished it out once i was happy with placement.

Thanks for sharing the information. I think I'll be biting the bullet and doing this next month!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

man all that on fish tails, I would dump it for a demo man, or a roadshow. and besides all those LED's how can anyone even tell they are busy in epileptic shock rehab.

1 year later
#26 9 years ago

Hello, anyone can tell me where can I download the cabinet decals for a Fish Tales? Thanks!

2 years later
#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

The overlays are nice. Be careful the wax you use. the art can come off if it's not sealed

how you seal them?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-decal-overlay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.