IMG_8277 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1424 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1419 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1422 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1425 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240410-104039 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1566 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Wow!! I did not even realize, or take the time to think about the actual length... that’s a bummer why one would make a lighting flipper bat that’s not a lighting Flipper bat length is beside me??

From IPDB:
The flippers have a lightning bolt pattern molded into them and reportedly are 1/8 inch shorter than the standard Williams flippers. Designer Mark Ritchie stated that the European distributors had wanted a shorter flipper.

#1568 6 years ago

wayout440 point of clarification I’m fully aware of the difference between a normal
Flipper and lightning flipper. The discussion
Above was about a seller on Pinside selling flippers with the lightning bolt molded into
It...yet they are normal Length... that makes no sense was my point

I understand - I just posted it for those who might not be familiar. As you were

#1569 6 years ago

Yessssss I'm In!

a9a2d1241ba08e4d792f922320892553a3d50bb2 (resized).jpga9a2d1241ba08e4d792f922320892553a3d50bb2 (resized).jpg

238138a7dfa96526df15057bac00e9a5b3beffcd (resized).jpg238138a7dfa96526df15057bac00e9a5b3beffcd (resized).jpg

3332fbeeb5c16b409e9af9b6814a976e39cd0bfc (resized).jpg3332fbeeb5c16b409e9af9b6814a976e39cd0bfc (resized).jpg

#1572 6 years ago

Nice great looking Fish bright side decals how’s the other side

Decals are nice and bright both sides. Just a wee bit of wrinkling around where the legs attach. Not really that important at the moment. I have to get it apart, get it to the basement game room and then go through it thoroughly piece by piece starting with the fuses and ending with clean and wax, this is going to be fun.

#1574 6 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

Hi Casters club. I checked out a project f.t. local to me yesterday. P.f. Looks not too bad, but has a couple of little chips by edges of some big fish inserts,small fish inserts and tackle box, those inserts have sunken a very small amount, but the rest of p.f. looks good. Cab is faded bed, and all exterior needs work. It doesn't boot up, but sounds like it's trying to with only vertical bars on dmd showing up.
I am after a project, and this looks like good bones....thoughts anyone

All depends on the price and what you want the game to become. Some people would leave the cabinet alone and be perfectly happy with it. If you are good with electronics, sounds like a fair project.

#1589 6 years ago

I have a question. When the ball returns down the left spinner lane, how often is it SDTM? (Shooter shot or loop shot when ball is medium to fast speed). Sometimes mine seems to "bounce" off left rail just above reel. There are no obvious defects and rail appears to be in its manufactured position. Game is level and I have tried tweaking the level. I would guess about 1 in 4 times the ball goes SDTM. Normal? Anyone ever see this?

#1591 6 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Zero is normal on the 2 Fishtales I've had.

Ok. Thanks. The last 2 games I played were not too bad, but I also noticed the flipper bats are out,of alignment a little. I already have new bats on order, so after they are correct I will see how it plays.

#1593 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Mine did that. Play with the level of the game until it stops. It took a bit of tinkering to get just perfect

Yes. It goes against intuition, but if it is low on the left the ball hugs the outside rail and spins out away from it. Tweaked it up and it has improved greatly.

I don't even have this game dialed in yet and it is so much fun. Just got rock the boat champion and beat my wife's score. I know what she will be doing tomorrow.

#1598 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

that's what I was going to look at, just haven't had a chance yet, but I'm not sure how much adjustment is in the guide itself.

Quoted from northerndude:

Could be a bit of leveling issue, or the guide needs a baby tap over a bit. It should hit the left bat nicely

Yes, seems all in the leveling. No play in the rail at all which is screwed firmly into the playfield. If you think "raise the right side levelers to make the ball hug the left rail to return to the left flipper,'...that seems to make it worse, causing the ball to spin off the rail prematurely into the center of the flippers. ...that was what I found to be happening anyway.

#1600 6 years ago

Got it all working great with a new reel,belt from Marco Specialties. ROCK THE BOAT!

0403181711 (resized).jpg0403181711 (resized).jpg

#1602 6 years ago

I'm in the club. Great. Lookin forward to fixing this up.....

Welcome!

#1605 6 years ago

Check continuity from your third prong on your main plug to the ground braid to the metal parts (rails, lockbar, coindoor)
It sounds like they are ok and doing the job of shunting unwanted current to ground, thereby blowing the fuse.
Somebody on the playfield is shorting to the side rails, most likely a switch because F115 is a fuse for switch matrix +12VDC

#1608 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

i will check this next, also i misspoke its fuse f105 for a batch of coils on plug j130, the catapult, ball launch, slingshots and a couple other.

OK. Check stuff under the apron, ball launch - the wires and such can get moved around inadvertently when you are constantly raising and lowering the playfield. Could be a wire pinching somewhere etc...

#1609 6 years ago

Just spent a grueling session with this game. It's really pissed off today. Brutal. I love it.

good-day (resized).jpggood-day (resized).jpg

#1613 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Marco has the fish and the shell decal in stock, they are currently out of the topper dome but keep an eye out as they will get more and sell out in a week or so...

My topper dome was missing the shell decal, just a long strip of glue where it used to be. I cleaned off the old glue, then I ordered the Marco decal and I put it on without thinking much about it - and now realize the inside art of the shells is crystal clear, where I am seeing pictures of this topper with shell decals with a translucent white center. I kind of like those better because they hide the bulbs. I don't if anyone knows anything about this, and I thought I would mention it in the case anyone else orders them in the future.

0411181544 (resized).jpg0411181544 (resized).jpg

#1614 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

All my pins are 6.5 slope.

Mine are close to this as well.

#1618 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

this is the one I got from Marco a few months ago...

Argh!!! YES that is great, that is the one I like. Anyway, I messaged Marco. We'll see if anything comes up about this. Pic on their site looks white too. I don't get why mine are clear, it's like looking at next to nothing. It's a stupid little thing but I really like this detail and wish it was correct.

large (resized).JPGlarge (resized).JPG

#1622 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Got this fixed, turned out to the the ball launch coil, it got tweaked or something and was rubbing against the housing, which then rubbed through the wrapping and the coil winings were touching the housing, sending coil voltage to the housing, which was connected to the service rail which feed through the apron and over to the other service rail. That was annoying lol.

Well, at least its behind you now. Good find.

#1623 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

It is a small detail, but I would not be happy with the clear one either. Marco will send you a replacement.

Marco found the problem and is sending replacement. Again, proving to be one of the best suppliers in the hobby.

1 week later
#1649 6 years ago

So I was having some issues lately when I turn on my machine the reel not aligning correctly... After doing some digging, and replacing the opto transmitters and tons of other stuff... I finally noticed the pulley on the motor was SUPER worn and allowing a ton of slack, thus moving. I'm surprised that pulley does not have a set screw or made of metal... seems the inner could get worn pretty easily.

They simply weren't designed to run this long. The plastic pulley was probably cheaper. This is a common complaint I have heard, and the best way to fix it is replacing the pulley..

#1657 6 years ago

Its the only one I have been playing since I got it. We had a family gathering last week so they all got some love. Going to be doing some real fishing as soon as the temps warm up a little. I went out for "casting practice" this morning - 30 degrees!

3 weeks later
#1672 5 years ago

Hi guys, I hope this isn't too cheeky to ask, but you guys who have L.E.D out you f.t. do you have the bulb list? What types of bulbs did you use? What colors and how many?
I'm rebuilding a f.t. and going to get leds soon, was thinking comet pinball, 2smd cool white for g.I. color matched inserts and leaving the incandesant flashers in. Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Justin

Leave the incandescent in. Especially the backglass. You will be happy with a nice, even light that does not spot or cause excessive glare. Color match the inserts with LEDs is ok.

#1681 5 years ago

Wayout440, I get what you mean, I've left incandesants in the backbox of my dredd and the J. P. I flipped, I thought the leds were too bright in the backbox. But I really like led in the g.I. I like the subtle flicker it has when the ball is rolling, hard to explain.

LOL. Usually people express how much LED flicker bothers them, odd that it is found enjoyable. Although I do admit the shimmering effect of LED aquarium lighting is pleasing.

#1683 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

2) The service buttons are going crazy...either they dont work or when I push them they cycle forever. What do people spray with to clean them out?
THx

Do not spray anything to clean any switches - ever. The push button sealed switches should be replaced if they are sticking. The same with lever style sealed switches. Exposed blade style plated contact switches should only be cleaned with a buisiness card. High voltage (tungsten) switches should be cleaned with a point file, unless they are too pitted - in which case they should be replaced.

#1698 5 years ago
Quoted from justdavid:

Or, you could just replace the plunger with one that is longer.

Or, you could re-bend/shorten this right angle in the bracket.

c738f0050bd422551091981ce07d364fac445148 (resized).jpegc738f0050bd422551091981ce07d364fac445148 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1720 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

, but those colors do drown out the beautiful airbrush work on the fish. So, don't rule out going with white up there.

White, especially incandescent is best to me. A fish doesn't belong in a neon rave, natures art is fabulous in natural light.

3 weeks later
#1767 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Check out the FT demo sketches from TWIP via dead flip.
I see playfield drawing is signed Python Angelo Productions.

Is there any provenance to prove these sketches are legit? I can draw and forge a signature. They are cool drawings for certain, but where did they come from?

1 week later
#1777 5 years ago
Quoted from mjs2:

All lamps and switches test fine.

This is key. Your hardware is fine, operation from there is software (ruleset)

2 weeks later
#1792 5 years ago
Quoted from Junkhauler:

Does anyone sell the screenprinted plastic that surrounds the speakers and dmd on a Fish Tails?

Not everyone's cup of tea, but there is a lighted one for sale if you are interested
ebay.com link: Fish Tales FT Lighted Pinball LED Speaker Panel ULTIMATE

2 weeks later
#1823 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

I joined the club Saturday and picked up a very used FT from a good friend and a good price. I spent most the weekend stripping the playfield, inspecting and cleaning. I have a few questions....
1. Where can I find a new mini playfield, the boat in the middle? Are these obtainable?
2. I need to replace the sticker on the transition ramp from the main playield to the mini playfield. Suggestions? Just replace the sticker or the entire metal piece and sticker?
3. The area between slingshots (the fish on the stringer "tackle box") has wear around the light inserts. I know they make an overlay. Anyone use one of the overlays? ebay.com link » Fish Tales Pinball Machine Tackle Box Overlay Decal
4. I want to remove the factory mylar. Has anyone done it sucessfully? Advice?
Thanks for your help.

I've seen both the boat and ramp sticker on EBay. Almost bought the sticker myself, but mine is just a little worn on the edges, not enough for me to pay the price.
Research the removing mylar threads here, regardless of what method you use, take it slow and careful. I use a heat gun, and the plastic comes off nicely. Its getting the glue residue off that is a PITA.

1 week later
#1845 5 years ago
Quoted from WannaTheater:

So I tested all related switch diodes, and they are OK. I then disconnected the switch matrix from the MPU- The problem still happens. My thinking is now that this may be an MPU or Driver board issue.
Suggestions?

No previous corrosion or repairs otherwise to this game that may be suspicious? Still could be originating from the switch matrix logic section on the board (you disconnected the playfield, but the switch matrix logic is still active on the board itself) I'd probably start by checking rows and columns directly at the board, and if nothing found there, check the logic at the 74LS374 in the coil drive circuit and look for stray pulses coming downstream, possibly from a wonky PIA.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index2.htm#switch

#1849 5 years ago
Quoted from WannaTheater:

1) It IS normal for the catapult to fire when entering test mode

Well, good thing you found that out before doing all the crap I suggested...sorry.

1 week later
#1866 5 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

This will happen on my FT if you restart a game with a ball locked.

Yes, and you should hear a warning callout "here it comes!" to let you know it is spitting a ball out the catapult back to you

1 month later
#1957 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Is it just me or does the shooter handel look very dark.
[quoted image]

I believe most had black handles to begin with. Mine is black with considerable wear, showing silver underneath. Very similar to this one.

cast-handle (resized).jpgcast-handle (resized).jpg
#1968 5 years ago

The mods are ok except for the mermaid. IMHO, a mermaid has nothing to do with fishing. Except for being wet.

#1970 5 years ago

It looks like she is holding a taco with a bite taken out of it.

#1974 5 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I guess that the mermaid fits in with the back box art.

I stand corrected. The mermaid is also on the back of the upper playfield.

3 weeks later
#1999 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallKid:

What do you guys think? I can post pictures if need be!
Thanks!
Tim In Motown

I'm thinking around $4000.

#2002 5 years ago

4k, nice that makes me feel better about mine
[quoted image]

I can't see details, but yours looks well cared for, and I respect the color of powdercoat you have there. You have no worries about the value, but that point is moot - because this is one of the best games and you will never, ever consider selling it.

2 weeks later
#2055 5 years ago
Quoted from tbaum:

So two other questions - I'm planning on giving the new machine a shop job and wax it. Are there any really good tutorials on this? Any Fish Tales specific ones?
Also, is it best to leave the machine on all the time, or turn it off at night/occasionally?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

I turn my games off at night. No need to waste electricity or degrade parts over time (mostly due to heat) If they were in a commercial location requiring constant uptime I would put them on a commercial mechanical timer...in fact, we use one for our Comet in the company breakroom just to turn the game off at the end of the day should someone leave it on unintentionally.

1 week later
#2089 5 years ago
Quoted from Badamack:

The crazy solenoid behavior quit after i replaced the f104 fuse again and one of the 3/8 amp fuses on the display board that looked bad.
It played well for a few days, just an hour or so a day.
Now I’m getting weird behavior again on those pops, shooter, and slings that are on the f104 fuse.
Does this sound like a board problem? Or some other type of short?
Any thoughts / recommendations are welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Adam.

Sounds like a board problem. Something in the logic section going wonky that ends up sending signals to the solenoid driver circuits. You'll need to examine it with a scope or logic probe.

1 week later
#2106 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Now...do I make a topper for it?? Maybe a quiet topper??

No! That's how you know the topper is going when you are not looking at it. Loud and violent. I wouldn't be heartbroken if you added splashing noises to it, however.

#2113 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I will look into that option as well. We will see what the deal is after I tear back into it tonight.

Try raising the levelers just a little on the left side. It's counter intuitive, but that is how I fixed mine. The trick is not to raise the left too much so that every time the ball gets near the right outlane when it bobbles it drains right too much. I tore mine apart once because this was driving me crazy, and the rail is straight- no discernable bump, and there is no adjustment. It's pretty solid and the screws are fixed holes in the playfield and rail. The key seems to be in the leveling.

3 weeks later
#2158 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

Having some problems with my fish tales fish finder light not activating when ball comes down right return lane. I checked that switch in test mode and it triggers appropriately but the light fish finder light does not light. Checked the actual light in test mode and it blinks appropriately. I am comfortable doing some circuit board work, but i dont have the schematics. Any help please?

Hmmm. If the switch is reading correctly in test mode, and the lamp is lighting correctly in test mode, then all your peripheral I/O is confirmed as working. It appears to a software problem, just my guess.

#2160 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

does that mean replacing an eprom, if so which one?

Please do not rush too fast. This isn't making complete sense. Does the feature lamp light up when the left switch is activated? Does the right switch operate 100 percent when you roll a ball over it in test mode? (Try it about 6 times, with a ball and not anything else such as your finger)

Does the display show as below on power up?

IMG_20190101_143301_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20190101_143301_1 (resized).jpg
#2162 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

but when the ball rolls over it, it isnt clicking.

Easy fixes are good.

Aha (resized).pngAha (resized).png
2 weeks later
#2218 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Looks like it's hitting the ball guide so yer suggestion about leveling it just right makes more sense now.
Also...just noticed this is a Diamond Plate! Were all FT Diamond Plate pf's or just the lucky ones?

I've heard that nobody has ever seen an FT that was not Diamond Plate. Same with T2, which was the first game to get Diamond Plate for the full production run.

It's also in your manual:
untitled2 (resized).JPGuntitled2 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2238 5 years ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Ok not sure I understand the way the drop target should work, I get the different functions in settings, easy medium hard etc. Iv just gone through the solenoid test in 12 it goes up but in 13 it doesn't go down. Please can someone advice why,and what part I would require. ( by the way switch 48 is working ok )
Thankyou

There are 2 coils to operate the drop target, one to push it up and another to drop it. Do some troubleshooting first. You'll have to look at the mechanism under the playfield, see if any wires have broken off, look for any damage.
Get a DMM/voltmeter and check if solenoid power is making it to the coil. If nothing is found there, this could be a driver board problem...just don't jump to conclusions without performing some troubleshooting.

1 month later
#2276 5 years ago

Freshened up with new rubber and Cointaker LEDa. (Premiums and retro warm whites)

inCollage_20190312_190218339 (resized).jpginCollage_20190312_190218339 (resized).jpg
#2278 5 years ago

Thanks. It also plays better. I never changed the black rubber, visually it looked ok when I picked it up. Then as I started removing it, I noticed it had taken on the shapes of the posts and such. Circlular rubber probably shouldn't look like a triangle when you remove it from a slingshot.

#2281 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

It looks like some of the inserts have different colors from left to right. Are these two pictures of the same game? - do you have some color changing insert leds?

Same game, no color changers. Taken during lamp test flashing, probably a camera illusion and/or bleeding.

#2300 5 years ago
Quoted from king-pin:

It does look home made, but a wire gate like that definitely belongs there.

I peered in and I have the gate too.

#2306 5 years ago
100000000000043 (resized).jpg100000000000043 (resized).jpg
#2308 5 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

French Canadian busted! I won't even correct it.

2 weeks later
#2326 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

(was a pleasant surprise but are all Fish Tales Diamond Plated?

"Starting with Gilligan's Island, all of Williams playfields were DP, whether
marked or not. LTG "

Definitely replace the board if severe corrosion damage. Will save you headaches in the long run.

Don't even use the stand arm - they are almost never safe, and push up on one side of the playfield, often causing twisting or breaking plastics. I have the convenience of being able to tie a support to the ceiling above in my workshop.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.