Screenshot_20240410-104039 (resized).png
20240406_211505 (resized).jpg
IMG_0804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4496 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4493 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1521 6 years ago

been looking for a FT if anyone wants to sell theirs, let me know!

1 month later
#1552 6 years ago

I am happy to announce that I am finally in the Fish Tales Casters Club! I picked up my FT yesterday. There are a few things I need to address and am making a parts list. One thing I noticed after setting up and playing a few games is the tail on the fish doesn't seem to move as much as I remember others moving, it's more like a "twitch" than a flip. I am thinking maybe something is wore out or broken? The coil fires strong and is loud like I remember others being. Is the tail supposed to have some more travel to it or is it just supposed to twitch like mine?

Is there anything that is common that breaks or wears out I should look at?

#1555 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I guess the tail should move more than the twitch I'm getting? I will pull the dome and take a look at the stuff you mentioned. On a side note, does anyone know where to get a replacement dome? I was thinking they were available somewhat cheap, but so far only saw one for $120 on Marco's site and they are out of stock.

My game has standard flippers on it and I don't like it, I want to put Lightning flippers on it, but would like green flipper bats. Has anyone ever heard of or seen green flipper bats?

#1557 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

pindude80 the Williams branded lightning flippers you won’t find in green. However there is a seller on here that makes aftermarket ones. The only place I have seen topper domes lately was starship fantasy http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Whitewater-Topper-Dome

Do you by chance know who makes the aftermarket flippers? I was thinking of getting regular yellow flippers and spray painting green, but would rather have ones made in green. Thanks for the link on the topper dome, more than I probably want to spend right now, was thinking they were cheaper, all of a sudden mine doesn't look too bad!

#1559 6 years ago

Thanks for the link, but he says they are 3" long, I believe that is regular length and lightning flippers are 1/8" shorter, not quite sure why he would call them lightning, but would have been cool if they were the right ones, I would have ordered a set!

#1563 6 years ago

Wow!! I did not even realize, or take the time to think about the actual length... that’s a bummer why one would make a lighting flipper bat that’s not a lighting Flipper bat length is beside me??

I'm not sure either, but I did contact him to double check, he said he has a new supplier and they are shorter, but he didn't know the actual length.

#1564 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Yellow bats, Green rubber looks great

Thanks for the idea, found this pic in the gallery and I do like it!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1581 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Thanks for the replies! I guess the tail should move more than the twitch I'm getting? I will pull the dome and take a look at the stuff you mentioned.

I had time to pull the dome yesterday and I figured it out. There is a small metal plate that is on the backside of the fish that that plunger hits and the plate tore a hole in the fish and was pushed in. I took it out, put a couple washers behind it to increase the area the plate makes contact with on the fish so we'll see what happens when I get it back together and play it again, figured I would try this before I spent $70 on a new fish!

#1582 6 years ago

My stretch the truth sign was leaning back farther than I thought it should. I took a look at it yesterday and figured it out. One of the spacer/posts the sign bracket mounts on was gone and the other one wasn't screwed in. I am getting ready to order some parts, I looked at the manual, couldn't find the part on the diagram, but did find what I think is right on the parts list, can anyone confirm if this is the correct part? http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=9DBB1F16AFF0B5CC6ABA34B55857C404.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=02-4433

#1584 6 years ago

yes on both side, I am missing one. Are you able to get a height measurement?

#1586 6 years ago

cool, thanks!

#1594 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I have a question. When the ball returns down the left spinner lane, how often is it SDTM? (Shooter shot or loop shot when ball is medium to fast speed). Sometimes mine seems to "bounce" off left rail just above reel. There are no obvious defects and rail appears to be in its manufactured position. Game is level and I have tried tweaking the level. I would guess about 1 in 4 times the ball goes SDTM. Normal? Anyone ever see this?

Mine does this and was actually meaning to take a picture and post about it. At the bottom of the left outer lane guide in the orbit there are 2 posts with a rubber around them that if the ball hits this it goes SDTM. I was wondering if maybe my lane guide is out of adjustment or the rubber was too thick. If I recall correctly the outer ball guide on the right is the same with a single post and a rubber ring. It does the same thing on my game, but not as often as the left orbit.

#1596 6 years ago

that's what I was going to look at, just haven't had a chance yet, but I'm not sure how much adjustment is in the guide itself.

1 week later
#1616 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

My topper dome was missing the shell decal, just a long strip of glue where it used to be. I cleaned off the old glue, then I ordered the Marco decal and I put it on without thinking much about it - and now realize the inside art of the shells is crystal clear, where I am seeing pictures of this topper with shell decals with a translucent white center. I kind of like those better because they hide the bulbs. I don't if anyone knows anything about this, and I thought I would mention it in the case anyone else orders them in the future.

That kind of sucks the shells are clear! I just ordered a new dome from Starship Fantasy and a decal from Marco. I will have to check my decal, but I bet it's the same as yours. Would probably be a good idea to contact Marco. I also like how the factory sticker hides the bulbs...

4 months later
#1884 5 years ago

Is the drop target always supposed to be up at the Caster's Club at the beginning of multiball? The people that are getting to the super jackpots must be a lot better player than I am. I think FT has one of the hardest to achieve jackpots in all of pinball- hit the drop target, hit the caster's club then the left loop all to make one jackpot, then if you miss it, no re-light, even as mean of a game as TZ can be, no ball save even, it will give you a chance to re-light to the jackpot!

#1886 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

No, not in default settings. It should also be down when you start a game. Frequently the mech that lowers the drop target needs adjustment.

Thanks for the info! I will have to take a look at mine. I did notice sometimes it was down at a certain point in the game and other times it would be up at the same point in the game. Do you know what I need to look at on the drop target?

#1892 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

[quoted image]
The coil should pull in the arm to push back the drop target so it falls, and the spring returns the arm to idle position.
Before adjusting it, make sure the coil is working. In coil test mode, if you give the arm a little push, can the coil pull it in? Confirm the wires are soldered on tight to the coil lugs.
Assuming the coil and power are OK. It is 26yrs old and the connections are not as tight as new, and things get a little worn. You can bend the ears at the base/hinge of the knock down arm, so it sits a little closer to the coil and grabs the arm every time. You can also bend the arm a little so it is a bit closer to the drop target, and it hits the drop harder if it is always clicking in but not always knocking it down. Some try stretching the spring a little, but that is tricky.

Thanks for the detailed post and pic! I'll have to do some inspecting and adjusting on mine.

#1894 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

[quoted image]
The coil should pull in the arm to push back the drop target so it falls, and the spring returns the arm to idle position.
Before adjusting it, make sure the coil is working. In coil test mode, if you give the arm a little push, can the coil pull it in? Confirm the wires are soldered on tight to the coil lugs.
Assuming the coil and power are OK. It is 26yrs old and the connections are not as tight as new, and things get a little worn. You can bend the ears at the base/hinge of the knock down arm, so it sits a little closer to the coil and grabs the arm every time. You can also bend the arm a little so it is a bit closer to the drop target, and it hits the drop harder if it is always clicking in but not always knocking it down. Some try stretching the spring a little, but that is tricky.

I pulled the assembly and mine isn't looking so good. It appears it's missing something that goes from the arm to the drop target. The the push mechanism has an interesting "fix" we'll call it! The lower switch that the drop down target activates isn't hitting. The knock down coil looks toasty as well. I wonder if it's going to be a better choice to buy the whole assembly since it looks like mine is going to need more than just an adjustment. https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4546

Also, is there supposed to be a decal on the drop target? Mine doesn't have one.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1y1OvWw4V0pHTZnq46Fjy_OWi-9o-i-0v

#1896 5 years ago

Here are some pics I dug up of mine[quoted image]

thanks for posting. do you have a picture of the actuating arm, and anything else that might go with it, that mine is missing? The manual lists an actuating arm guide with a part #, but I can't pull anything up under that part #. I'm not sure what it is, mine might have it.

#1899 5 years ago
Quoted from JoshinDC:

You need 01-8647-R
Marco has it: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-8647-R
I just replaced mine on my new-to-me Fish Tales as it was snapped off when I purchased it. I had to bend the arm a little so that it would hit the drop target and not the metal bracket (I assume this may be why it broke?)
After replacing it my target still wouldn't drop, so I jammed a screwdriver between the coils of the return spring and stretched it a little. Now it works perfect! I'm not sure that spring is even necessary, and it definitely doesn't need to be half as strong as it is.
Good Luck!
Josh

Thanks Josh! I think I am going to try and fix mine by order that actuating arm, the smaller coil, micro switch and the drop target reset arm that someone made one out of a key on mine

#1902 5 years ago
Quoted from JoshinDC:

Ha! I didn't see the key before, that's pretty awesome.
The small coil might still work; does it pull the plate towards it in solenoid test mode? It's not a very high-duty coil so I don't imagine it's likely to burn out.
To answer your other question: I don't have a decal on the drop target, and I don't think I've seen one anywhere (although that doesn't mean much). The drop target is pretty much completely obscured from view by the casters club though, so I don't think you'd see a decal anyway.
Josh

Yeah the key is a great touch! lol I didn't check the small coil, but it looks kind of crusty; it's only $10 or $12 so I figured I would go ahead and replace it while I am "rebuilding" the drop target assembly. Good point about the drop target being hidden and wouldn't see a decal if there were one on it.

1 week later
#1911 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The pic helps. Thank you. I’ll look at mine later. This game is kicking my tail right now!

Mine kicked my arse for a while when I first got it, but I just kept playing it and eventually got better. I hadn't played it much in the past couple months, fixed the drop target assembly last week, been playing it a bunch and it's back to kicking my butt! I'm having a problem dialing in the caster's club shot lately; able to hit everything else pretty well.

#1912 5 years ago

blitzburgh99 Are you referring to the hinge? Or the bushing it rides on?
Here you can see the hinge and bushing in the up position. Offer times it’s jist the spring is missing which can cause issues
[quoted image]

Will you post more pictures of your side art blades with the playfield down? I guess they came from Tilt Graphics? He doesn't have very good pictures of them on his website installed on the game.

#1920 5 years ago

About 50% of my ball launches go down the left orbit and the other 50% end up in the roll over lanes and go into the pop bumpers. I'm assuming that the ball is supposed to go to the left orbit and feed the left flipper 100% of the time. I need to take a look at this and was going to check out the ball launch coil sleeve. Are there any common problems that would cause this or that I should look into?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.00
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club?tu=pindude80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.