IMG_8277 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1424 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1419 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1422 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1425 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240410-104039 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mancave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#405 8 years ago

Well i'm in the club now. I was sad to see my Sttng waltz out the door but the cash in pocket was a bonus. I just had to fill the gap in my pin collection and Fish Tales seemed a good choice (also didn't wipe out the cash intake). It's got the usual faded cab decals although the actual cab itself is in very good condition, just one small ding in the front left . There's some insert damage as far as lettering, etc and a little bit of wear but other than that all the plastics are good, ramp is good and solid wire forms. The fish has a broken tail (got one on order) and the machine had previously been fully LED and colour choices weren't too shabby. I've only got one LED out which is the red jackpot light below the lock lights, checked for a blown LED (nope) and swapped with working ones (still nope), tried changing holder / checking connection etc but still doesn't work. All the rest of the lights on that board work so wondering what it might be? (cracked track in the board maybe?)

DSC01733.jpgDSC01733.jpg

DSC01734.jpgDSC01734.jpg

DSC01735.jpgDSC01735.jpg

DSC01736.jpgDSC01736.jpg

DSC01737.jpgDSC01737.jpg

DSC01738.jpgDSC01738.jpg

DSC01739.jpgDSC01739.jpg

#409 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Cold solder joint on the connector header pin on the board

Cheers mate, thanks, re-flowed the solder on all the pins (just to be sure, to be sure) and that sorted it

1 week later
#416 8 years ago

So i spent the afternoon doing a semi shop job on my machine and changed over all the old white rubbers to Titan green ones and added blue Titan rubbers to the 5 posts. I also had a couple of anodized gold flippers hanging around and put those on as well. I then spent an hour fiddling with the LEDS in the back box trying to find a nice balance between making it pop in the right areas and being subtle in others and i think i've got it about right over all. I then finished off indulging my love of all things Monty Python by adding an appropriately related custom message I'm pretty happy with the results. Does anyone know if you can get the drive belt in colours other than white? It would be nice to match it with the green rubbers, just looks out of place now.

DSC01751.jpgDSC01751.jpg

DSC01752.jpgDSC01752.jpg

DSC01742.jpgDSC01742.jpg

DSC01744.jpgDSC01744.jpg

#418 8 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

The drive belt for this should be clear.

It's white on my machine, know where i can get hold of a clear one?

#423 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Notice any difference in play with the green rubbers?

Overall i don't think there is much noticeable difference between the Titan rubbers and regular rubber, certainly the flippers didn't seem much different, still the same in bounce and catch qualities etc. I do feel the slings may be a tad bouncier, just seemed to be a bit more deflection distance but i haven't put in enough games after the change to really quantify it just yet. I've got super band flipper rubbers on my other machines and i have definitely noticed a difference with those but i don't buy into some people's assessment of them though. I've seen reports of "major" playing differences, poor catch quality, lack of bounce, etc, etc and people saying it makes machines far easier to play. As Colonel Potter off the show M.A.S.H used to say "Buffalo Bagels"
A difference? Yes, a major change to the machine, No!!
The pics aren't fantastic but you'll get the idea, think i might add the rubber list choice to Titan's kit file as well.

DSC01754.jpgDSC01754.jpg

DSC01755.jpgDSC01755.jpg

DSC01756.jpgDSC01756.jpg

DSC01758.jpgDSC01758.jpg

DSC01757.jpgDSC01757.jpg

1 month later
#445 8 years ago

I'm thinking about getting the shooter handle re-coated as mine is fairly worn. What's the original colour?, going off mine it looks too dark for chrome and too bright for straight black. Were they originally a black chrome?

1 month later
#464 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

If anyone is on the list that doesnt want to be for a cpr playfiled, let me know! Im on the standby list

So am i but after i was confirmed for the list Kevin told me he expected there to be left overs, keep hope

2 weeks later
#467 8 years ago

I've been adding a few extra's to my machine recently which include, 3 extra blue flashers in the back of the fish topper (sorry but the pic is a bit ordinary, will get the idea though), a new dome and fish (both of which were knackered), a new LED button on the shooter handle (i'm not sure if the one on my machine was original but i never liked the feel of it), a green LED start button and matching LED flipper buttons, the cool monster fish mod with purple LED's from theGiven, some flipper toppers, some blue LED pop bumper rings (much brighter than they look in the pic). I had added 3 green captive balls to my JD machine and had a 4th ball spare so put that into the boat ramp and also replaced a few of the plastics along the way as well. Got a new mini playfield on the way and on the list for a full size one when they are available. Last thing to get hold of (badly needed) is some new decals and then to put it all together to make some beautiful, banjo playing, yeeeehawing good times happen Loving this machine, think it's a keeper and my mates dig it too!!

DSC01933.jpgDSC01933.jpg

DSC01935.jpgDSC01935.jpg

DSC01939.jpgDSC01939.jpg

DSC01940.jpgDSC01940.jpg

DSC01941.jpgDSC01941.jpg

DSC01943.jpgDSC01943.jpg

DSC01944.jpgDSC01944.jpg

#472 8 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Where did you get that from? It looks cool.

Type this into Fleabay and it should show the same listing >>> 19mm 12V Green LED Stainless Switch Momentary Push Button waterproof
The only thing i needed to do was use another small square of black perspex to drill a larger hole into to mount the new button and of course wire it up to the 12v for the LED, easy enough to do. I did find that the center of the button is flush with the outside so i stuck on one of those door protectors just to give it a bit more height (also added a nice feel to it)

3 weeks later
#492 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

This just came a couple of days ago from austria
All it needs now is to be re-chromed

Wish i could find 1 spare bolt/combo's, mines only got 2 and they seem to be completely unobtainable(well 1 side is still available at marco's)

#495 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I've been working on some apron overlays. I'm having them printed on magnets or decals. I did this one for Fish Tales.

I'd be interested. When you say magnet though, do you mean a magnetic sheet/overlay? will that just be for the top of the apron? I've seen some decal type overlays that wrap over the front part of the apron.

1 week later
#507 8 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

New decals and topper dome arrived for my fishy. It's gonna get the love it deserves. Wish I'd have put me down for a cpr playfield now!!

Contact Kevin, there's a good chance you can still get one, i was advised that there will be leftovers. If you go to the CPR site it does show that

#511 8 years ago
Quoted from Silvercoin:

Where does one get a new topper dome? And decals??

Mine is kinda cracked.

Little shop of games has both topper dome and seashell decal, probably better deal for you being in the states

#541 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

unsure now, do i go with a chrome looking one or black ?

The black one would look good too. Personally i chose the chrome because at some point down the track (hopefully soon) i'm going to get the whole shooter handle chromed. Also bare in mind you can use any colour surround piece that you can cut a hole in (Green, Red, Chrome, etc)

#546 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

looking at the description is says that it is not a push-to-mach switch rather than a spst button , is yours a push to make switch ?

It is a momentary action switch, probably not the technical name for it but it clicks when depressed and activates and then releases by itself which is exactly like the one i had on my machine. I'm not sure if the switch that was on my machine was an original mind you, sure didn't look factory installed. The new one works excellent and i can sink heaps more boats, that's of course if i haven't sunk too much Bourbon before playing
I've had a request for some more detailed pics so here's the inside shots of the handle and the "door protectors" i used to give the button a bit more height and feel.

DSC02047_(resized).JPGDSC02047_(resized).JPG

DSC02048_(resized).JPGDSC02048_(resized).JPG

DSC02045_(resized).JPGDSC02045_(resized).JPG

DSC02046_(resized).JPGDSC02046_(resized).JPG

#549 8 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I didn't even realize you could shoot with the caster button

LOL i didn't realise you could shoot with the flipper buttons

1 month later
#646 8 years ago

CPR playfields MUST be close to release, it's disappeared from the "pipe"

#651 8 years ago

Got fed up with having a faded/patchy shooter handle so finally had mine chromed. Really happy with the results and now need to get the cab decals done. Might wait for a new playfield first though That brings me around to my question >> Does anyone know if Kevin gets in touch with people on the waiting list for leftover playfields? OR is it just first in best dressed after they have contacted all the pre-order mob?

DSC02162_(resized).JPGDSC02162_(resized).JPG

DSC02163_(resized).JPGDSC02163_(resized).JPG

#653 8 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

I emailed to go on the reserve and I got a confirmation email from Kevin

Yeah i did too but i mean does he contact when it's time to purchase though, after the pre-order guys have been sorted?

3 weeks later
#703 7 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Haven't been through the whole thread, so pardonnez moi if it's already been posted:

I'd not seen this before, confirms what i had suspected though, the button on my shooter handle wasn't original

2 weeks later
#715 7 years ago

So i added 4 spotlights to my machine (2 either side on top of the slings), hooked into the GI, and initially looked awesome, sure lit up that dark area in the center of the machine. However upon starting a game, BAM, all the playfield GI went out. I checked what i suspected and sure enough blown fuse at 106. I de-soldered the spots, whacked in a new fuse and now alright so it wasn't a short that caused it but most likely an overload.
My tech question is this >> On my Judge Dredd machine i have a total of 7 spots all tied into the GI circuit and haven't had any issues in well over a year (nearly 2), any particular reason why FT would be more fragile when it comes to adding spots to the GI circuit? As far as i'm aware both machines are virtually the same when it comes down to the GI, etc. I also have all the star posts lit on both machines (also attached to the GI) Any Ideas??? The only thing that is different on the FT compared to Dredd normally is that during attract mode all the GI turns off for a little while whilst it cycles the playfield lights. Surely that wouldn't make the difference??

#717 7 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Shouldn't be an issue really. Do you use bulbs or leds?
Are you sure your installation isn't shorting anything?

Using LED's and after de-soldering the spots the machine has been left on for 4 hours now and played a few games as well

#723 7 years ago

Just an update on the mystery, i've got it sorted now although i'm not sure of the technical issue that caused it. The right side double spots are wired into the under sling LED GI socket (which is yellow/white wire), the left side double spots were wired into the GI socket that is one of the back ball guide one's (has yellow wires and violet/white). I swapped the left spots over to one of the sling sockets (same string as the right side) and it's been fine ever since. NO IDEA why to be honest, if it was an overload you would think the extra set of spots on the same yellow/white string would create the same issue. I've not had the extra time to follow up on just what is allocated on the violet/white string but for some reason the 2 spots were pushing it over the edge. I guess this is a good lesson for anyone wanting to add extra lighting into the system but i'm hoping someone can provide a more detailed technical explanation as to the reasons why it occurred. I also added a 12 volt LED strip behind the flippers to finish off that portion behind the scope of the lower facing spots. The pic looks super bright but that's just my camera adjusting to the lack of ambient light (it's very good at low light shooting). All the room lights were turned off and the only thing on was the FT machine.

DSC02264_(resized).JPGDSC02264_(resized).JPG

1 month later
#760 7 years ago

First time i've ever cracked it for the super jackpot

DSC02398_(resized).JPGDSC02398_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#787 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

the fire button on the fishing rod shooter: doesn't light up, right?

I added an LED button to my shooter handle, go back a few pages, there's a description on what to search for on fleabay and some after pics. First post on page 14 shows the handle after i had it re-chromed and with the LED installed.

2 weeks later
#797 7 years ago

Wrong on so many levels that is

1 week later
#802 7 years ago
Quoted from newy16216:

Hi all fellow casters , I have just finished shopping my machine and can't find were this plug goes , not sure if it's just a spare one or not

Attaches to the flasher light board for the boatramp pretty sure it only goes one way.

#806 7 years ago
Quoted from newy16216:

Any idea where this one goes

There's only 2 x 7 pin plugs (6 pins + 1 key) in that area and both have similar colour wiring, one goes to the light board on the boatramp (right beside the flasher board) which you've got hooked up and the other one goes to the right hand light board (the one that covers the 3 green lock inserts)

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from newy16216:

Found were it goes , through the playfield and connects to the 4 bank board on stretch the truth . Thanks for all your help

I didn't look at the top of the playfield, ahh well, 1 out of 2 ain't too bad

#819 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Get the stern tournament start button from pinballlife.

Yeah not keen on those myself, prefer the one i used. Square buttons just don't suit the handle i feel, the round type look aesthetically more eye pleasing. Personal choice of course

#826 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Thought you guys might be interested caster handle mod which I don't think anybody has done apart from us

Interesting effect. So is that a piece of semi transparent coloured perspex and a led strip behind it? In a lot of ways i like that better than my lit button actually

2 weeks later
#836 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Thought you guys might be interested caster handle mod which I don't think anybody has done apart from us

I guess i could say i was the first in this club to do an LED button although i doubt very much it hadn't been done before. I was inspired by your effort so i did my own version of it
I used a red piece of acrylic (perspex) as i already had the green LED button and i wanted to have some contrast between the two. Instead of a socket i used a 12V red LED strip (the type with adhesive backing) inside the roundish curve of the handle and also hooked it up with one of those dimmer/mode switches. LED strip has 5 levels of brightness (on FLAT OUT in the pic ) and also has varying types of pulse/flash/speed settings. I've also added the green button LED into the same circuit so they are in unison. I did find that i needed to use some black electrical tape inside the handle along the seam/join of the two halves as there was some light leakage. The whole circuit is still hooked into the coin door interface board, as it was before with the LED button, but i used some of those small red plug connectors you can get on fleabay to make the job neater and also easily removable. I can provide some other pics if people wish to see how i went about it. I needed a job distraction, my JD project machine has been annoying the crap outta me, lol.

DSC02534 (resized).JPGDSC02534 (resized).JPG

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

One of our signature lines will be lighted speaker panels

They look good but i'm wondering if the effect of the yellow highlighting on the fish you would normally see is a bit lost with the lighting? It's a bit hard to tell in the pic but is the portion normally yellow on the standard panel white on these? If so, do you have plans to do them in a different colour, if possible that is. To my eye it just looks a little washed out with white.

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I did find that i needed to use some black electrical tape inside the handle along the seam/join of the two halves as there was some light leakage.

BUGGER, on closer inspection of the photo i see i missed a bit

#845 7 years ago

I have used a relatively local furniture removalist company over here. Got a pin from Brisbane to where i am, which is a LONG way away, like close to 2000km (perhaps more) It was shipped on it's legs with the head box down and arrived in TOP shape all for the price of $200 Oz money. I'm wondering about the quality of shipping in the states now to be honest!!

2 weeks later
#892 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Does anyone have a partial decal sheet? My inserts are all fine with the exception of a chip on the "Auto Cast" insert. I need that decal, but hate to buy a whole sheet just for that one. I thought maybe someone had a sheet they bought just for the fish? Thanks

Yeah i've got a sheet with the following insert decals still on it >> L, I, E, Lock 1, Lock 2, Lock 3, Special x 2, Lite Fish Finder x 2, Cast Again, Video Mode, Rock The Boat, Lite X-Ball, Hold Bonus 1,000,000 and the Auto Cast one your are chasing. I wont be needing any of these as i will eventually be swapping to a new CPR playfield.

#901 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

Also does anyone have any nice apron cards made up for this game?

I've got some spare ones i don't need that are printed on photo paper, laminate them and they come up sweet (not my design mind you. Aurium does them), message me with your postal addy and i'll send them to you. This is his site by the way >> http://www.pinballcards.com

DSC02652 (resized).JPGDSC02652 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#1012 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Do anybody have leads on either one of these plastics for purchase? Also can you purchase just the plastic case that covers the topper?

Here's where you can get the "Stretch the truth" plastic and the other one. This link is for the STT plastic
http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/fish-tales/4172/fish-tales-plastic-30-0676-8-sp?c=2826
Topper dome seems to be out of stock most places at the moment except Ministryofpinball.
You can also buy a complete plastic set from Littleshopofgames <<< might work out cheaper in the long run considering postage, etc from pinballcenter for 2 plastics.

#1015 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Thank you very much. I did find a full plastic reproduction set and ordered. Are the plastics in this set identical to originals or are there some differences?

To be honest i'm not sure. Most repro's are exact but i have heard of some copies not being up to scratch. The FT's ones look ok going off the pics. Ahhhh bugger about the topper dome, thought they were showing as in stock, sorry about that

4 weeks later
#1052 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

What do you guys recommend for the rubbers on this game? The original thick white ones? Green super bands?

I really like Titan rubbers and colour of choice for that. I've used Super Bands for flipper bat rubbers and liked them, there is a slight difference to normal rubber (some argue it's HEAPS different) but i've since changed all my machines over to Titan rubbers all round

4 weeks later
#1081 7 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Williams lollypop side rails

OK, what are these? psychedelic coloured side rails? I must admit, my interest is piqued

#1089 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Insane FT seen at TPF show

Interesting Rail/Legs colour, is it gold coated? or yellow paint?

3 weeks later
#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

After hundreds of hours of work and an incredible learning curve I completed my first full restoration on a FT

Excellent job
Did you source the Chrome coin door from somewhere OR get your original chromed? The reason i ask this is because it doesn't seem to have the obvious hexagonal bolt/rivet heads showing like some bought chromed doors do. This is what i'm looking to achieve for my BOP restore. Can you provide some info on this if possible? I was going to get my original door chromed but i need to find a way to "cover" those hex heads so it doesn't show in the finish.

2 months later
#1173 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Where do you get a 3d translite from?

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TLT

or

http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/williams/fish-tales/fish-tales-translite-3d.html

Considering Euro conversion you're better off ordering from Planetary. I can vouch for how good they look on the machine, i have the Prototype on mine. Stunning is the best description

1 week later
#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't get to my machine at the moment to check where the GI for that is connected to, busted wires anywhere?

1 month later
#1224 6 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

i cant find it anywhere,its so sad

Marco's don't have the complete assembly in stock but they do have most of the parts needed to construct the assembly though, from what i can see.

#1226 6 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

thxs man can you link me to it

This is a link to the parts list for Fish Tales at Marcospecialties, i didn't have a major look but pretty sure i spotted most of the bits needed for the assembly, including the main bracket and coil holder brackets. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/252

The drop target is integral to the game play, i've not actually tried playing my machine with no target to be honest

1 month later
#1252 6 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

I replaced the 2 fuses, and turned the game on, same 2 fuses blew up straight away just like before and I get same errors on DMD.

My initial thought would be that you have shorted/buggered diodes on a flipper coil, this can also cause a cascade effect which will blow the corresponding TIP's on the Fliptronic's board. If you have blown TIP's and replace them definitely replace the diodes on the flipper coils also.

1 month later
#1271 6 years ago
Quoted from RichandKellie:

Anyone know where to get a replacement reel?

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/williams-parts/fish-tales/target-21.html

It's second hand so not sure what it's like condition wise but pretty sure it would still be fine, they wouldn't put it up for sale otherwise.

#1277 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yes cosmo, that is decal only and sadly, they dont ship to usa anymore, ended Jan 1.

Only way around that is perhaps get someone outside the US to buy items and then ship to the US from there, costly exercise but if something can't be sourced locally may be the only option.

#1278 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Im also looking for the reel handle ball launch

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=fish+tales+handle

Left side only though
or
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/21-6689-4

Also only left side. No idea why the right side is hard to get, seems a bit weird.

#1283 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I have looked everywhere and only the left side is available. I was told that PPS will be running 500 units of reel handles in a few months. I was also told marco would get 250 sets. Im going to use a MM style ball launch button until the repro is ready

I've also heard of people adapting a real fishing reel also but not seen one myself as yet.

#1284 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

How come left side only? What's the difference really? Please enlight me

The handle is split into 2 pieces vertically so they are not identical, rather, a mirror image, so you can't just use 2 left's to make a complete handle.

#1286 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Is it possible the right side was more prone to tarnishing because of the way the hand hits it? I know the outside of Demolition man handles are worn more than the inside. Possibly people only needed the right side because it was the only side with wear. Just a shot in the dark.

Yeah most likely correct, i guess that proves there's more right handed people out there than left handed

#1288 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Then I realized you can only shoot with your right hand on fishtales

Ahh true, for vid mode! If i remember correctly someone mentioned back in the previous pages that you can use the flipper buttons to do that, which i wasn't aware of at the time, i've always used the reel handle.

#1290 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Well, according to the E mail I got from Dave at Marco the tooling for the right side of the handle does not exist. They are not expecting anything to be available in the near future.

Damn, that's a real bummer. Wonder if someone could make a resin copy (or something similar) using the two halves as a templates?

2 weeks later
#1315 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I'm in the same "boat". Picked up a Fish Tales yesterday. It's a bit of a project but included a lot of extras including a new boat playfield, all new plastic set, plastic protectors, and a few other things. Very excited!

Looks to be in usual shape for a FT machine, decal fade is normal for these and yours isn't as faded as mine is. If your machine isn't working then get it operational and enjoy, absolutely fun machine to play

1 week later
#1347 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Another question: What's a good source for instruction cards? I downloaded some, but they were Stern sized and don't fit the Williams apron. See Photo

I believe the ones you have got there can be scaled when you print them out, so you can do them different sizes. It's been a while since i did mine so i can't remember exactly the process sorry.
Edit* Ok, just looked on his site, you have to select "Do not scale" in your printer settings.

1 month later
#1482 6 years ago

I had a few reset issues with mine recently and the ribbon cable from the CPU to the driver board was the culprit. I've also heard that re-seating the ASIC chip can sometimes help.

3 weeks later
#1537 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

badamack I bought a gold a few months ago for I think around 900.00,

Yeah that sounds about right. Over here they ended up being about $1450 but of course shipping is over $300 and the conversion rate is a killer too

3 weeks later
#1562 6 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

My game has standard flippers on it and I don't like it, I want to put Lightning flippers on it, but would like green flipper bats. Has anyone ever heard of or seen green flipper bats?

This mob have green lightning but i'm not sure of the sizing though, might have to message them.
http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/flipper-components/flipper/2402/flipper-with-lightning-bolt-green?c=2212

#1579 6 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

I think it has a dmd driver problem, as no picture, only thick vertical lines displayed

Could also be due to a bad ribbon cable, or just need's reseating.

1 month later
#1680 5 years ago

I'd add my 2 cents worth about my choice of led's also but the most relevant thing has already been stated (Personal preference). I think you will find that trying a few different options is perhaps the best, so maybe just get a couple each of a target group of led's, trial them out and go from there. I've added certain led's before, stood back and thought "Yeahhhh dig it"..... few days later turn on the machine and go "WTF was i thinking and who slipped the acid tab in my breakfast cereal?"
A bit of trial and error never goes astray and it's quite likely even your own tastes for lighting your machines will change with time.

#1691 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

how hard to make a board

It wouldn't be too hard to create one no, main thing is getting all the mounting holes for brackets, etc lined up where you need them. You would also need to replace the front water decal or possibly remove the old one to re-use. You could also carefully chisel out part of the board where the bracket for the coil sits (perhaps 5mm), hence making the coil sit in closer, food for thought

#1693 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

the large plastic cover for the board? it’s just stapled on and mine is loose

Yeah that's the bit i meant. Further back in the pages of this club thread someone also posted several options for that scenery as well if you wanted to get it printed out/laminated.

#1695 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx. anyone know what kind of wood it is? particleboard? plywood? a laminate ?

I think it's possibly MDF or an equivalent particleboard anyway. I'd be going for a nice plywood if you want to make one or even a hardwood perhaps?

#1697 5 years ago
Quoted from justdavid:

Or, you could just replace the plunger with one that is longer.

That would work too but depends on how much extra length is needed (i'm tipping it's not a lot) and the increments in plunger size lengths.

1 month later
#1778 5 years ago

I've just added a little extra bling to sit above the topper, bolted to the wall bracket behind and not actually touching the topper itself. I spotted these listed in a local buy-swap-sell Facebook group and just couldn't resist buying one, especially when the words fit so perfectly with the call out.... FISH ON !!!!
I could get more of these if people are interested, it was air brush painted by a local artist and the price was $50 Aus + $16 Aus posted to me. I guess they could be shipped overseas, doubt there is anything restricted involved as it's just painted pine board with scalloped edges.

DSC03667 (resized).JPGDSC03667 (resized).JPGDSC03668 (resized).JPGDSC03668 (resized).JPG
#1779 5 years ago

I'm thinking about getting a color dmd for my machine, i have the LED version on my JD. What is the better option for FT?...LCD or LED, and yeah i know it's a personal preference thing where everyone has their own favourite BUT, it's also true that one or the other version suits particular machines graphics better also.

#1782 5 years ago

Hahahahahah 1 all, but i did expect it to be like that

2 months later
#1928 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Are my balls too big?

I'm sorry but i spat my bourbon on my monitor when i read that bit

1 week later
#1938 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I changed the batteries and lost all my scores except for Grand Champion ( 31 rock the boat's and 26 tales told all gone)

Did you change batteries with the machine off?

#1940 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

No slowly one at a time, second time it has happened.

Hmmm with the machine turned on it shouldn't matter if they were all taken out at the same time, unusual, not had that happen before.

1 month later
#2012 5 years ago

Something to do with the sound chips perhaps?? Try re-seating them if they are socketed (pretty sure they are) otherwise i got no ideas.

1 week later
#2079 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Rick and the 3D guys have had a falling out this year and the 3D guys are not happy about it. 3 titles in the cue that never get any response from PPS. They have essentially thrown in the towel.

It's an absolute bloody shame too and i don't blame Mario and the 3D crew for that either

#2080 5 years ago
Quoted from Badamack:

Ill check button. Thanks.
Solenoids 9-16 all on fuse f104 i see

Have you checked that fuse? usually if a string of solenoids are effected it's most likely a blown fuse.

#2082 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

It’s most likely a blown fuse because one of the items in that string in shorted and blowing it.

True, there will be a catalyst for the issue somewhere.

4 weeks later
#2153 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Anyone know where I can find these decals? Pinball Center is the only place I can find them but they want 420 euros to ship them. That's just ridiculous. Guess that is their way of saying they don't ship to the US

Another way of getting round that is to create an account with a mob like Shipito. There is a European address (Austria) that you can have items shipped too cheaply and then from there to the US (usually quite cheaply also). Once at your US address it's another relative small postage charge to get delivered. It will be sure cheaper than 420 Euros

1 week later
#2166 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

I've gained a fresh appreciation for Fish Tales lately as it really is an excellent example of 'less is more' game design. Take off the wireforms and the fishing rod, and the game boils down to just four shots, one guarded VUK, one captive ball and five targets, four of which act as linked pairs, but it feels so much busier than that to play. Space has also been well used in incorporating the mechanics and keeping everything clear and uncluttered. If a certain podcaster is right in the industry needing to bring more ball 'magic' back while making rulesets easier to get into, Fish Tales is a good way to go about it

Totally agree. I sold a STTNG as i needed some extra cash at the time and bought my Fish Tales with half that cash.... i have never missed the Trek once, the first game on Fishy and i was hooked So from a rules outlook, i went from a complex machine to a far easier one but i reckon the fun factor doubled easily

1 week later
#2211 5 years ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

I just got the fish tales

when the ball hits at some solenoid point the game closes and re-opens after only , or after closed

see the video from 0:30

You've got a reset issue, quite often caused by the watchdog circuit that monitors 5V on the driver board which will shut down the MPU and then restart if the voltage drops below a certain point. It could be other issues also but that's the most likely, it's difficult to diagnose the exact cause going off the vid.

2 months later
#2312 5 years ago

Checked my machine for that gate........didn't even know it had one

1 week later
#2330 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I don't see anyone with the topper dome in stock, except in Europe

Also here.
https://www.rtbb.com.au/product-category/game-specific-parts/fish-tales/

1 week later
#2338 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

Ive only been able to find the left side of the shooter reel. Have you seen the reel anywhere else?

Pretty much not available anywhere that i know of unless you find a 2nd hand one. If yours is only cosmetically damaged, as in the nickel plating is worn off, then just get it re-coated. You can get them done in black nickel, brass, chrome or powder coated in any colour you choose. I had mine chromed and it came up a treat

#2340 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I was planning on chroming out mine. Is it a process or just spray paint kind of thing (which sounds to easy to be true)?

Best option is to have it chromed professionally, it may cost a bit more but the results will be worth it and will LAST. I personally wouldn't use any chrome type spray paint as it generally doesn't wear well (particularly with something being handled a lot) and the finish will dull with the handling quickly. I had mine chromed for about $240 AUS (about $170 US) but on hindsight i paid a bit too much for it at the time.

10aab1cb4f56cf454cd3cf58b8e39794bfbfa548 (resized).jpg10aab1cb4f56cf454cd3cf58b8e39794bfbfa548 (resized).jpg
#2342 5 years ago

I did the swap here. Great work

Bought some chrome items from this bloke before, sure does some great work

1 month later
#2378 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hello,all,does anyone know where to buy the "Wave" decals on the bow of the boat???Or are they now unavailable!!Thanks!!!!

These one's?
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/decals/decals-playfield-ramp/fish-tales-williams-pinball-machine-ramp-water-decals-bottom-mount-under-ramp/
There is 2 types also, one lot mounts on top of the ramp plastic, other one underneath.

1 month later
#2429 4 years ago

HOLY SHHHEEETTTT

3 months later
#2586 4 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

This is the bracket I'm trying to find

PSPA over here has a 2nd hand right hand side of the bracket with the wheel attached but unfortunately not that left side bracket Surely someone out there would have an old assembly floating around.

1 week later
#2625 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Pinball parts Australia is out of stock but you could see if they are going to get more . They have the left-hand side , why is the right-hand side so hard to get ?

That complete left and right sides i believe was one set Mark found in his stash, that he's been working through for some time now. Don't think it lasted long on his site either It seems the bolts for the handles are also impossible to find too, well, at least one side of them is. Always did wonder about the lack of right hand sides too, maybe cause a majority of players would be gripping the assembly with the right hand and it wears quicker? Not that it would stuff the metal though, only the nickel plating.

2 weeks later
#2684 4 years ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

Hi, I can't solve my problem. There are a total of 9 lights. I can't find the mistake ... it's almost all of Row 8. except the start button. there are 7 ROW lamps and the two I of the word L and E. Then I have this maybe it has something to do. I ask for help

Are the bulbs making good contact in the holders? sometimes it can be a simple issue.

#2693 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

$640 shipped to OZ , that's a lot of fish

Yeah paying premium on the shipping charge with CPR unfortunately but i guess we should all be used to it over here It always amuses me when i see posts from our US pinball brothers from other mothers about the cost of shipping parts (etc) from Oz to US We definitely cop the raw prawn over here in comparison!! And before anyone comments, yeah i know CPR is Canadian but of course payments are in USD.

2 weeks later
#2740 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Hot Rod plating for Xmas ! Looks beautiful as always but switch worked perfect, swapped out and now nothing ?

I’m
Stumped, I can hear it click etc

Looks awesome!! Only thing i can recommend is taking it apart again and checking all the solders to the switch BUT before that try checking the connector/re-seating where the whole assembly connects to the wiring loom. From memory it's a 2 or 3 pin plug.

1 month later
#2816 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

What voltage? looks like Amazon has a ton of options

If you are plugging into GI or controlled inserts it will be 5V, flashers are always 12V.

#2821 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Yes, you have to add a resistor in series. Usually those 3mm diodes come with a reference table explaining with X voltage, use Y size resistor

Correct, and the resistor value is 510 ohms (1/4W). This resistor value will work with up to 12V input. I've used these myself on 3mm Led's which depending on colour can range in voltage value i might add. White/Blue/Green are usually rated at about 3V while colours like Red/Yellow are slightly less value at for example 2.2V etc.

Jon9508 Those pre wired types are fine unless there is some tension/stress on the wires, the leg of the resistor is tacked straight onto the leg of the diode and in a very poor way. If there will be any possibility of stress on the wire then it's better to buy the resistors yourself and solder it onto the wire further down from the diode.

2 weeks later
#2845 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Game is set to Free Play. NVram installed Once home I'll check the Service Menu and see what comes up

It would give you the time/date message if you have just recently swapped to using the NVram. It is worth noting that most NVram's (certainly the ones i've used) don't keep accurate time and date anyway.

#2868 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Trying to get angel eye cast button to light up
scoured thread for wiring
I have launch button working ok
but no combination of L87 wires Red/Grey-Yellow Grey to +/- will make ring light work ?
this is the angel eye I got

Possibly the same one that i used originally i think. I will PM you later on, about to have some chow

#2870 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If you can be stuffed , do you want to put a picture up

Post #651(Pg 14) in this thread shows the button in question that i added to my machine after i had the handle chromed. I don't have the pic on this PC unfortunately. Post #467 (Pg 10) was the original post after i had added the button and another follow up at Post #546 (Pg 11)

#2878 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I was thinking Jaycar would be the place to go to get one ,did you have to change the surround and which one did you get

Bought mine off fleabay originally but you should be able to get them at Jaycar or maybe Altronics? The one i got was 19mm diameter from memory (the body of it not the top) and you will need to drill out the area. Or get a tad trickier and use a square of coloured acrylic (think i used 6mm) and add another LED or LED strip to light the area up also. Got both the button and acrylic LED strip hooked up to one of those optional touch pads that have brightness control and flash effects.

DSC04847 (resized).JPGDSC04847 (resized).JPG
#2880 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Ok , so the button a comes with a light in it but the red is being lit up with a separate LED strip .

Yep, button has an internal LED and i have a 6 LED red strip stuck to the inside round edge (closest part to where it flares out and gets bolted to the cab). I did have to block out some of the light shining through the slight join gap of the two halves ... missed a bit too

#2903 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I would actually like the light on all the time

If you want the LED lit all the time the easiest way is to source 12V and Ground from the coin door interface board (below the left flipper button inside the cab) @ connector J2, the pins are marked on the board which one is 12V and which is Ground (Pin 4 grey/yellow is 12V and Pin 5 black is ground) On the button the 2 circled pins are for the LED, + for 12V and - for Ground. For attaching the button to the original button wiring the following is from a message i sent to another FT user some years back BUT the button i used (and the other bloke) only had 3 pins. Yours has 2 sets of the same so i'm not totally positive it will make any difference which set you use as long as they are aligned with each other??

The new switch has 3 terminals in a row (in the middle) and 1 terminal either side (these are the LED 12v and ground terminals). You will see letters beside each of the 3 terminals, these are >> NC (normally closed), NO (normally open) and C (closed or comm). Your original switch should have been wired the same as mine and the 2 wires went to a plug inside the machine. There should be a white wire and a green wire, the white wire goes to NC and the green wire goes to NO. I soldered the diode in the same way it was on the micro switch which is >>> One end to NC and the BANDED end to C (banded end has a grey band around it)
57e59385bffc83e956fa6a7a2dd60214a5c16caa (resized).jpg57e59385bffc83e956fa6a7a2dd60214a5c16caa (resized).jpg

#2905 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought that the LED in the launch button would put too much strain on the board , especially if you have changed original bulbs to LEDs

Nope, that single LED is fine on the system and mine is running LED star posts, extra lighting (floods) and a few mods.

#2908 4 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Good to know, thanks! Was concerned, since I wasn't sure what the 12V ran and have resets on other games with too many mods

Having too many mods can definitely tax the system for sure!! I've found on some machines you always find out when you've reached critical mass With a machine completely changed over to LED's from standard globes you gain a slight buffer point from the original design parameters but it is worth mentioning that some mods draw more power (generally speaking mech mods with motors, etc)

#2914 4 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Can someone post me a picture of how the playfield hinges are set up? I picked up a Fish Tales and the hinges are right so cant pull the playfield all the way out. Mine looks as follows

Looks like it's missing the tension spring.

2 weeks later
#2951 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Really enjoying playin FT again, Soooo much fun

Machine looks awesome!!! I've really got to get mine re-decaled, and whack in the CPR repro PF. Too many projects on the go at the moment...one day

1 month later
#2999 3 years ago

Is the OCD board even required if you have the Rom with the non ghosting patch??

1 week later
#3033 3 years ago

I had some spinner decals made up, really find the prismatic decals plain and boring...rip that spinner!!

DSC04951 (resized).JPGDSC04951 (resized).JPGDSC04952 (resized).JPGDSC04952 (resized).JPG
#3040 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Pretty sure they were supposed to look like an actual spinner blade, for fishing. That's what the prismatic / hammered metal look was supposed to be, I assumed.

Never thought about it, but you sould source all sorts of different blade pattern decals from a tackle supply.

I guess you could look at it that way yeah but a lot of machines of this era had a prismatic decal on the spinner/s and most have no reference to fishing. BOP being one that comes directly to mind.

1 month later
#3159 3 years ago

$999 for a complete topper is an insane price
The only part of the topper that is probably hard to find is the light board at the base i would be guessing. The rest of the parts that incorporate the topper are easy to source and relatively cheap (apart from the dome and the fish itself of course)

2 weeks later
#3186 3 years ago

For those that were chasing the reel handle (left and right side) i spotted this just before
https://www.pinballlife.com/fish-tales-shooter-reel-left-and-right-metal-brackets.html
OR go for broke and get the whole assembly
https://www.pinballlife.com/fish-tales-fishing-reel-handle-assembly.html
Awesome to see these available again!!

#3195 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Thanks for posting this!

Absolutely no worries!! I was excited as all get out to see the listing and i don't even need a new handle

2 months later
#3307 3 years ago
Quoted from sugarhillabe:

So was playing tonight and when I turned on the machine it reset to factory settings. I've had the machine for 4 years and never had this happen before. Has anyone had this happen to their machine? Is this something to be concerned about or is it just something that occassionally happens with a 25+ year old machine? Thanks in advance!

Have you ever changed the batteries in the headbox? I'm assuming of course that you have a regular battery pack setup and not a NVRam. If the batteries have died then it would revert to factory settings for sure. If you have the batteries on the MPU board itself and not the remote pack style then check for battery leaks as soon as possible!!

1 month later
#3368 3 years ago

For those that have a Color DMD on their machine, there has been a firmware update listed on their website and is now version 4.2
https://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware_colordmd.html

Update Description is >> Added color to fish finder, some attract mode frames including "Extra Ball At", and the volume indicator.
Happy Fishing

#3371 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I have been tossing up between the 3D translite and the mirrored back glass .
Has anyone seen them in person and have any thoughts

I have the 3D translite, actually won a signed one in a comp that Mario ran on Pinside and quite like it. I do have a mirrored BOP glass on that machine and it's also cool although there is some slight but noticeable variations in colour to the original BOP translite. Haven't seen the FT mirrored in person but i've heard there's the same slight colour variations i've just mentioned.

3 weeks later
#3421 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

It should spin like it would roll UP the playfield if it could

Yeah mine spins towards the headbox.

#3436 3 years ago

Your missing your metal rails for the plastic to affix to

A MOST critical item

1 month later
#3533 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Also Doctor Who and Popeye

And also apparently Black Rose although there seems to be some debate on that one.

#3540 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallKid:

I’m just wondering if anyone else tends to try to set this easier for guests.

I usually have all my machines set on 5 ball for guests only as most of my mates aren't really pinheads. This is particularly the case for a deep rule set game like Iron Maiden as most 'newbies' get frustrated and don't enjoy it as much with 3 balls.

#3551 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I notice that ball savers *really* confuse the heck out of non players

LOL or scare the crap outta them

4 weeks later
#3577 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Pictures of dots and distortion

Normally when i see something like this on a dmd i would suspect the data cable first and foremost but you mention you have replaced the data cable/s (with new ones??) and specifically the one between the dmd and the display board? Next up i would suspect the dmd itself but it doesn't look like the usual line out scenario you would expect with a dmd on it's way out. Is there any rust on the legs of the game rom chip or corruption in the socket? Seems that if the dmd and the data cables are both fine then i can't think of anything else that would cause this issue other than corrupt game rom or some kind of issue with the display board perhaps??

#3598 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Replaced existing ROM D-6 with a new one.
Dots and distortion still exists. It was worth a try.

I noticed that my Hot shots basketball had a rottendog dmd board installed. I swapped it into the Fish Tales and the dots and distortion were gone.

I’ll either get the board repaired or buy a new replacement.

Hot Shots (Premier/Gotleib) from 89' or Hot Shotz (Bally/Midway) 85'?? either way how was that board compatible?? I must be missing something here sorry

#3600 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Hot shot basketball (1994)

No idea why but can't find that on the IPDB, alternative name for another machine?

#3602 3 years ago

Cheers!, yeah i have totally overlooked it i guess cause it's not highlighted in blue being classified as a non pinball (redemption machine)

3 months later
#3710 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I installed the translucent drop target and put a blue star post led under it

Looks COOL although it's kind of a shame that the decal negates the overall glow effect of the translucent target but that's unavoidable. I meant to order one of these targets in my recent PL order...damn it... forgot

3 weeks later
#3748 2 years ago

Come on monster fish!! You were supposed to catch the bloody ball and lob it back onto the play field, not get clubbed in the back of the head with it

DSC05344 (resized).JPGDSC05344 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#3762 2 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Hi joining the club anyone sell the led light up launch button mod already wired up

I'm pretty sure someone did make a plug n play option of my original idea but i couldn't find a listing for it anywhere, could swear i spotted it once before though.

#3775 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Not in this thread , because if it was , I would have brought it

Yeah i did another episode of googling and couldn't find any mention of a plug and play style for sale but i could have sworn it used to appear at the bottom of the page (when in this thread) that shows mods. I must have been imagining it i guess. I posted about this long time ago and how i went about attaching the LED angel eye button on my caster but that is a 12V LED button and is hooked up to my CDI board. I did add one of those control pads in the circuit so you can make it flash at different speeds and change the brightness (plus turn it off) and i also changed the black plastic panel the button goes through to a red acrylic with extra strip LED to highlight that. That's the other thing that made me remember the plug and play mod, pretty sure it was all wired directly for the existing caster connector plug to power the LED and that's only 6.3V not 12.

2 weeks later
#3846 2 years ago

screaminr well there ya go, it wasn't a figment of my imagination after all
This was the post i was thinking about
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1059-pinballtoys/03783-fish-tales-caster-switch-illuminated

2 weeks later
#3902 2 years ago

Anyone know what the part number is for the playfield prop rod/arm? All i seem to be able to find is the prop rods for WPC95's not the earlier type, which i believe is a different length??

#3904 2 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Anyone know what the part number is for the playfield prop rod/arm? All i seem to be able to find is the prop rods for WPC95's not the earlier type, which i believe is a different length??

I think this is the correct one i'm looking for but out of stock over here
Anyone know of stock anywhere else?? Not sure if the part number is correct either.
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/01-10797.html

3 months later
#4111 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

The restart might be because Q2 seems damaged from C2

That's some interesting looking gunk on top of that part?? Weirdly looks like mold

3 weeks later
#4262 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Could you replace the black bezels with chrome

LOVE chrome coin doors!!
I haven't seen too many powdered coated options that have really grabbed me i must say, guess i'm a bit of a traditionalist in some ways

a9cb081287dc235b9fa5c8a096d7d4dc5fe5c9b2 (resized).jpga9cb081287dc235b9fa5c8a096d7d4dc5fe5c9b2 (resized).jpg
#4264 2 years ago
Quoted from Luk3:

Anyone know about a topper for one?

Checked online and not seeing an all inclusive topper. Found a background and clear box. That's about it.

At one stage you could buy the fish from Marco's but they are showing as out of stock, not sure if anyone else stocks that part?? There's not much else apart from what you mention that isn't attainable, or at the least, able to be done by other means. Apart from the back board and dome there's only a coil and bracket for the tail flapping, globe socket for the eye and a light board for the base which has 4 wedge style sockets attached (for the seashell decal at the front), plus of course the associated wiring loom and connector. The coil and all those other bits are easily bought and the light board could be done by other means so really it's just the fish itself might be the sticking point.

3 months later
#4599 1 year ago
Quoted from weasel671:

I recently bought a FT. The one wire form has some surface rust on it. Is there any easy or safe way to clean it up without buying new?

A product like Autosol is great for polishing up metals/chrome and will take away light surface rust or tarnishing. I've used it for quite a few applications and it brings back the shine quite nicely.
http://www.autosol.com/category_s/1817.htm

1 month later
#4702 1 year ago
Quoted from BT-ADL:

Bit off topic but my pinball collection’s demise due to COVID restrictions and the effect on my income has meant I’ve gone from 5 machines to 1 over the past couple of years. Each time I’ve sold up it’s been tough, but needless to say I’ve been happy with the return on investment with prices the way they are.
This is the order in which they’ve left;
Jack-bot
Judge Dredd
Getaway II
Simpson Pinball Party
Still have; Fishtails which I don’t think will ever leave.
Surprisingly, the one I miss the most is Jack-bot.
Let me know what order you would have sold them, and if anyone has a machine you’d sell fishtails ahead of.

Still have a Dredd and a Getaway (never owned a Simpsons) BUT out of all the machines i have owned then moved on, Jackbot is the one i most regret selling!!

#4705 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

For me Fish Tales is the perfect game and I've had it for 22 years , I know by now it's never leaving

In a collection of pinnies that would include some more 'technical' machines with harder rule sets and some earlier SS machines that are pre multi ball and ramps then FT is the perfect FUN fallback machine i reckon!! Not one i'd consider moving on either

1 week later
#4737 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Be interested to see what people think

Has that been done with their new digital printing or the original screen prints??

#4741 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I’m guessing digital as they don’t mention screen printing, and it looks digital.

That's what i was thinking too but wasn't sure if they had gone full digital with everything. I knew that the plan was to do most previous titles they had done before with the new system. Totally agree with Neal, would be getting in touch with them and see how you go.

3 weeks later
#4803 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

2 x 4 Welded Box Fencing

So is that just square mesh fencing? Got a pic to share please?

#4804 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Get a couple sets of these. They install from the top, and look amazing.

These do work well but i've found that they do have a tendency to lift up away from the PF over time. Probably not too much of an issue on this machine but on my Iron Maiden it's a PITA due to the ball sometimes getting stuck and also preventing roll back from the flipper up the lane. I'm most likely gonna remove them.

1 month later
#4864 1 year ago

Yup, mine's like that too so that's 4 votes

#4869 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just for the record , mine has to hook on the bottom and I'm pretty sure it's 100% original .
Logically it makes sense to have the flat Edge along the habitrail .

Yup totally agree, same with mine pretty sure it's original. TBH i reckon it looks crap with the smaller face up against the rail, just looks.....wrong
If the manual shows it that way it must be right!!! Surely the manual wouldn't be wrong.......

3 weeks later
#4889 1 year ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I could be wrong here but shouldn't the launch button be normally closed (no continuity) and open (continuity) while pressing it down?

Yes that sounds correct as the launch button isn't a push to lock on - push to lock off type its a temporary contact button. The normal state would be normally closed yep.

#4890 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

As said the switch in the gun gives continuity on my DMM and when button is pushed it stops beeping

Had the switch been rewired recently? This is from a convo i had about wiring up a led button/switch and states how the existing switch should be wired >> There should be a white wire and a green wire, the white wire goes to NC (normally closed) and the green wire goes to NO (normally open). There is a diode on the microswitch which is >>> One end to NC and the BANDED end to C (banded end has a grey band around it).
If you haven't rewired the switch recently then disregard this.

4 months later
#5088 1 year ago

Blue looks nice but i think i prefer the green one

2 weeks later
#5131 1 year ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

Hi.
I'm having some troubles with some lamps, exactly n. 41 and 42, on the center of the playfield.
They are not lighting
Cables are ok, so bulbs (led) cause they are new.
Other lamps in the 4 column are lighting, so the other lamps in the raws 1 and 2.
I tested diodes directly on the card in the picture, all ok.
Does someone has the schematic of that card or suggestions about how to solve the issue?
What does the component circled is ?

This might sound silly but i know of heaps of people that don't check it.
Have you tried bending out the contact wires on the 555 wedge globes, sometimes the metal blades in the socket spread out and new globes in particular won't get good contact. You can also compress the blades together somewhat also but i do find that flaring the wire on the 555 LED so it's out past the edge of the plastic body helps too.

1 week later
#5146 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Went to play a game the other night and she won't boot up. Most likely culprits?

Open up the backbox so you can view the boards, is the driver board getting power (LED'S lit on the board) If the board is powered but not booting then check/re-seat the short wired connector between the driver board and the MPU. If the driver board isn't powered then i would check the mains unit box near the on/off switch. Could be a line filter blown so check the fuse in that box, if it's blown then a line filter is a distinct possibility as i had this happen to my BOP just recently.

#5155 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Went to play a game the other night and she won't boot up. Most likely culprits?

tomdotcom Did you have any luck with the machine, work out what was going on??

#5158 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

All the test points checked out fine as far as I can tell. TP 1,2,3,6,7,8. LED's all look in the proper state. Main fuse in cabinet is good as are the rest of them in the backbox. I have not sorted it out yet. I haven't put a ton of time into diagnosing it. I do have a spare MPU, so I may try that. I reseated some cables...etc

Hmm ok, that's an odd one then. Sounds like the driver board is powered and fine but the MPU is either not getting power or something has gone awol on that board. I know that a faulty/loose ASIC chip can cause a machine to not boot too from what i've read although i've not run across that issue with my Bally/Williams 90's pins. Have you got another machine that uses the same MPU board? Could try swapping it over to see what happens with that machine although of course you will need to swap over the game roms.

#5173 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

With regards to my machine not turning on, I swapped in a new RocketCPU and all seems well again. I realize that's not a very exciting shotgun approach lol, but it's working again. So that's delightful

I also bought a LED ColorDMD for it today too. Woot!!! Fn expensive though.

Great to hear you got it going again Definitely means the issue is with the original CPU board and i'm still leaning towards the ASIC chip
It might only need re-seating too....Or i could be totally wrong and it's failed somewhere else

1 month later
#5232 1 year ago
Quoted from MagnumChris:

Two and a half weeks ago, one of my plastic flippers broke

Totally not a comment about the pro's and con's of the precision flippers. I've owned machines for over 12 years and NEVER had a flipper bust like that nor have i heard about one busting there either. I would suggest that was quite a random event to happen but i could be wrong.

4 weeks later
#5246 11 months ago
Quoted from joostproost:

Hey Hey, I was wondering what the flipper alignment you guys are using (lightning flippers)? I read about the toothpick method .... I find it more easy to shoot the "Casters Club" .... any thoughts?

I find that puts the flippers to far up but that's a personal choice and everyone has a different one when it comes to flipper alignment. I generally have the center of the flipper tip aligned with the hole itself. If you look at the angles when you do it that way you find that the flippers are virtually parallel with the angle of the lane guides. From what i've read over the years, this seems to be a favoured position by most.

2 months later
#5315 9 months ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

I'm looking for the following decal sheet. I can only find it for sale a German store that doesn't ship to the USA. Does anyone know of another source for this? Thanks.

Only other thing i could suggest is if you know someone in Europe who could purchase and ship on to you OR you could try a company like Shipito (in the US) who have a depot you can get things sent to in Rastenfeld (Austria) and then shipped on to the US. There's a few companies similar to this but i've used Shipito before mainly because you can have several packages consolidated into one and this does sometimes cut down on postal charges to here in Oz. It's obviously going to cost extra in postage but so would having someone in Europe do the same thing for you. Might be the only options if you can't find any other sheets with the inserts you need outside of Europe.

#5328 8 months ago

Hate to be a party pooper but the colours on the overlay are WAY out compared to the orginal colours. That's not to say that it doesn't look great compared to having worn inserts etc.

#5333 8 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

That's a good looking fish , I've seen a few dodgy ones .

Yep, looks like one of the originals, some of the repro's were not as good in the quality department.

#5337 8 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I was at pinball spare parts and I saw some fish and said they look like crap are they repros and they said no they were originals

Hmm interesting. The one that was on my machine when i bought it was definitely an original one but unfortunately was buggered, was torn through the tail near the coil and split further up the body. At the time Marco's still had some fish in stock and i bought 2. Both of those were most noticeably lighter in colour with the green and yellow and the eyes looked much cheaper (also a slightly lighter colour too) I was assuming they had been repro'd due to the differences to the original.

#5339 8 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Do they look anything like this

Yep!! The one's i got from Marco's are like the second pic. My original stuffed one is like yours, heaps darker in the green and the yellow is darker too.

#5350 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

the target decal on the captive ball target is a pic of my dad fishing on the lake

That personal touch is a lovely little tribute!!

1 week later
#5358 8 months ago
Quoted from dfester007:

Can anyone help me ID the correct punchdown tool for this connector on the LED PCB?

These are pricey BUT are the absolute BEST tool to have and will last a lifetime, also handy to have the smaller .100 version if you have earlier SS machines too. I've owned the cheaper punch in type in and they are just a fiddly PITA. Some connectors in the 90's DMD era also use the smaller connector as well but generally speaking are the larger type.
https://www.pinballlife.com/pancon-156-idc-termination-tool.html
Pancon's ROCK!!!

2 months later
#5421 6 months ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Monster fish is from Scooby Doo. There is one on AliExpress.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLH8xGW

That's the 5 inch version. There is a smaller 2.5 inch version which was the one used for the monster fish mod with the LED eyes (can't recall who made it originally)

#5424 6 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Here is the direct link parsed out of that mess lol

First link worked fine for me, works the same as yours.

4 months later
#5555 42 days ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Appreciate you taking the time, I'll have to inspect the lugs - shouldnt be a tough fix if that's all it is. The rest of the solenoids work fine and I don't believe there is a dedicated fuse for the fish coil, so it's gotta be a wire or the sleeve is fused/jammed up.

Don't think there's a fuse just for that coil, it would most likely be in a group. It will have it's own TIP on the driver board however but it's more than likely going to be something simple like a busted wire, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
$ 169.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mancave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club?tu=mancave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.