IMG_8277 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1424 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1419 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1422 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1425 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240410-104039 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2043 5 years ago

Picked up a Fish Tales yesterday, too! I've always wanted one so good day. Pins from the early 90s are the best. Needs some work and a full shop, though. This one is definitely not huo. Big thing is pf hinges are messed up. Hoping those won't be too hard to replace.

Translite has seen better days. Anyone buy a repro? Do they look as good as the originals? I've seen some on other games were they don't look that great. Might be better to look for a decent used one.

20181121_180550 (resized).jpg20181121_180550 (resized).jpg
#2067 5 years ago

Anyone buy repro translite? Wondering what quality is like.

#2076 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

2nd that. Love my 3D Fish Tales.
Indeed buy them while you can. When there gone there gone.
Rick and the 3D guys have had a falling out this year and the 3D guys are not happy about it. 3 titles in the cue that never get any response from PPS. They have essentially thrown in the towel.

Don't think I want the 3D version. It would be cool to have one frame on the wall but just prefer the stock look for my game.

2 weeks later
#2107 5 years ago

Could use some help with reel button. It currently has some non standard switch and various hardware. Where do the green and white wire attach to new switch?

Also, any tips to sourcing black plate that the button sits on? Manual says it is part 01-10508 but cannot find that anywhere.

20181209_172520 (resized).jpg20181209_172520 (resized).jpg
#2111 5 years ago

Thanks for the help, guys. Any diode?

Looks like I have to make a plate. Previous owner put a rusty round washer. That's got to go.

#2125 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Prop bar on Fish Tales?? Are you thinking of a different pin such as Addams Family? Maybe yours is a prototype?

Don't all WPC pins have that prop bar thing you can use to prop up the playfield half way? It lays down flat on the right side of cab. My other pins have it but not FT. Probably just removed at some point. I don't really like using it because it doesn't seem that safe especially on heavy playfields.

1 week later
#2152 5 years ago

Anyone know where I can find these decals? Pinball Center is the only place I can find them but they want 420 euros to ship them. That's just ridiculous. Guess that is their way of saying they don't ship to the US.

image_63699_1_484x484 (resized).jpgimage_63699_1_484x484 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2169 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm diagnosing why too many plunges don't make the full orbit, and noticed the ball guide at the top isn't firmly fixed. Can anyone check their FT underside at the top right under that ball guide? I'm wondering about the hole by the red saucer. Is yours the same way? What keeps the guide in place?
[quoted image]

Mine is same. There is no bolt holding the very end down but the guide should be held firmly in place by other fasteners. There should two nuts in the back under the pf and other screws on the left holding it in place.

#2213 5 years ago

Anyone ever use those RadCals decals and just stuck them on? I've never done decals. I was tempted to give it a try on my FT. I replaced the side trim so that would of been a good time to do it. Thought process was it wasn't worth the expense and all the added work. My cab is mostly straight so maybe I can just slap those decals on. Sure it would be better to strip everything down, do body work, get everything laser straight and all but I'm okay with getting like 90% there with fraction of the work.

1 week later
#2232 5 years ago

Can someone tell me if my pop bumper lamp sockets are wired up properly? I have a gi short issue that I cannot figure out. Back half of gi and pop lamps are out and blowing f108 on boot. Don't think it was an issue until after I did a deep shop to it. I pulled the pop bumper off to replace parts including replacing one of the lamp sockets. I'm pretty sure I wired the pop bumper sockets exactly like it was before but maybe something was wrong to begin with. I'm not real good with these sort of issues so just trying to eliminate possibilities.

20190123_160810 (resized).jpg20190123_160810 (resized).jpg20190123_160815 (resized).jpg20190123_160815 (resized).jpg20190123_160829 (resized).jpg20190123_160829 (resized).jpg20190123_160839 (resized).jpg20190123_160839 (resized).jpg20190123_160845 (resized).jpg20190123_160845 (resized).jpg
#2240 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thank you guys for postings Keefers Strategy Sheet. Would that be THE Keefer, as in Elwin?
Guys I've looked and looked....I can't find a drop target anywhere. Where the hell is it? Thanks.

Casters club - in front of the ball lock.

#2253 5 years ago

Finally figured out my gi short issue - spilled solder on a lamp socket. Got the game finally back together and working 100% this weekend. Well, more like 95%. There are a few more things to sort out but good enough for now. Did a deep shop job - full pf teardown, fixed a bunch of stuff, rebuilt flippers, knocked off a lot of funk, and more. Game was filthy and neglected. Lots of new parts, Titan rings, Comet leds, spotlights, and Monster Fish mod. New plastic quality was a bit disappointing so kept as much original as possible. Lit the plastic over the right pop and the indian in the canoe on the left. Two spotlights over the slings. I used translucent pop bodies and skirts with leds that shine up and down. Looks awesome! Still need to sort out weak launcher and ghosting leds. Never had a game ghost this bad. Debating getting a bunch of non-ghost leds or the ocd boards.

20190111_234215 (resized).jpg20190111_234215 (resized).jpg20190111_234236 (resized).jpg20190111_234236 (resized).jpg20190125_191213 (resized).jpg20190125_191213 (resized).jpg20190127_182221 (resized).jpg20190127_182221 (resized).jpg20190127_184546 (resized).jpg20190127_184546 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2262 5 years ago

Anyone able to burn me the latest rom with the non ghost led fix?

#2265 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'd like this too (I think). Everything is good for me, except my "I" rollover and corresponding "rear playfield bulb" are always on, but just slightly dimmer than usual.
Does this fix this?

That is ghosting. The LIE inserts ghost bad on mine, too, but pretty much every inserts ghosts. Ghosting patch is supposed to help but never tried one. I never had ghosting problems with other games so not sure why that is. I'm running L4 rom and not sure if L5 is better with LEDs.

1 month later
#2302 5 years ago

For what's it worth, my game has that gate.

3 weeks later
#2323 5 years ago
Quoted from thetallman:

Finally got my pins set back up today, and started by cleaning good old Fish Tales. Come up nicely (it’s a shadow on the speech bubble) with a helping of Millwax. Only issue is the button on the caster handle is getting stuck in, so I’m hoping it’s pretty straightforward to strip that down. Anyone else had this problem?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No but I did replace my button earlier this year with the one in the link below. You can use other buttons but I prefer a more stock look. The handle very easy to take off. No need to separate the two halves.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9804-1

#2328 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

Picked up Fish Tales this weekend and brought her home. She was very dusty after sitting in a garage for a couple of years. Good news is playfield is in great shape and is Diamond Plated (was a pleasant surprise but are all Fish Tales Diamond Plated? Looked at pics this weekend and saw a lot of playfields that were Diamond Plated), plastics and rails are in great shape, and topper is in good shape other than the plastic dome.
Bad news is the board has a good amount of corrosion from the batteries and will most likely need to find a new board for it (was told it powers on and works from the guy I picked it up from and this is the second machine my buddy and I have picked up from him but will have to wait and see). Also, the playfield doesnt have a "stand arm" on it to hold the playfield up. Leaves me a little paranoid to stand up the playfield to do work so will have to rig something to ensure the playfield wont fall as I am working on it. Any suggestions or ideas to rectify this?
But looks like most of the work needed are cosmetic with a few molex connectors needing to be replaced (already completed). I took all the incandescent bulbs out (there were A LOT of lights) and will clean all the inserts this week and will put in Cointaker lights when they are delivered. I will post more pics as I keep working on it.
Any suggestions/ideas from the Club of Experts about this machine as I put her back together?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks and sounds a lot like mine when I first got it. Finding another mpu board shouldn't be hard. You can look for a used original or buy a new Rottendog replacement. When you do get another board, get nvram to avoid this problem again.

I'm not sure the "stand arm" is factory. Some games have them and some don't. They don't feel very secure to me so I never use them. Just rest the pf on the rails or lift all the way up.

If you are already digging into the game, I recommend replacing the reel drive belt, pulleys, and opto transmitters. Make sure the pops are working and not busted up. Two of them get burried under plastics and much easier to deal with when everything is off pf. Mine had busted parts, broken lamp socket, and some blown out screw holes.

1 month later
#2359 4 years ago

Nice looking FT! Love seeing FT next to WH2O. Those games just go so great together.

#2362 4 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Has anyone bought a Rottendog MPU recently? We were planning on getting one for FT, just want to make sure the quality is good.

Bought one for my Congo (WPC95) a few years ago when the mpu finally junked out from battery corrosion. Works fine for the most part. Only negative thing I can think of is that it goes through batteries fast. Heard other users say the same. I recently put in nvram so no longer an issue.

2 weeks later
#2365 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

After a little work and a new CPU board, my Fish Tales is up and running. I tried to swap out the colorDMD from my Roadshow to Fish Tales but when it is all set up, the colorDMD only shows one color (yellow). I looked into the firmware in settings, and it is still showing the Roadshow firmware and I believe this is why it is only showing yellow.
I went through the process to load the Fish Tales firmware but can not get it to take place of the current Roadshow firmware. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do in order to remove the Roadshow firmware and get the Fish Tales firmware loaded correctly?

Colordmd says: "Simply download the desired "colordmd.rom" firmware file and save it to the USB flash drive. Then insert the flash drive in the USB port on the ColorDMD controller board, and press and hold the left button for five seconds. The file will be automatically updated and saved to the ColorDMD."

If that is not working, try a different usb flash drive. Make sure nothing else is on the memory stick except the colordmd file. If you are still having trouble, contact colordmd.

#2373 4 years ago

Anyone have trouble with the reel after replacing both pulleys, optos, and the belt? Mine works great for the most part but acts up now and then. New pulleys and belt definitely helped but not 100%. It gets out of alignment and doesn't seem to be able to spin right. It spins a little then stops, spins a little and stops, without ever lining up with ramp. Turning the game off and back on forces the reel to spin all the way around and that usually fixes it but not always.

#2376 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

There are several ways to test that...
In the diagnostics, you could run the reel test to see if the motor runs reliably.
You could also go in to the switch test and move the reel manually and confirm the switches are sending a solid signal and working as expected. Maybe an opto is bad, or out of alignment, or there is some poor connection or bad connector. (knock on the playfield while testing and see if the opto output changes)

Thanks for the tips. I tried all that and everything works flawlessly. I replaced the opto transmitters earlier this year and they seem to be perfect. Next time it acts up I will have to dig in at that time. I usually just turn it off and look into it later but then it's always working.

2 months later
#2440 4 years ago
Quoted from mrboboto:

I'm finally getting around to restoring a player's condition Fish Tales I bought a while ago. The first thing I need to fix is the lock mechanism. When I bought it this was malfunctioning (motor would turn on but reel wouldn't move), but the belt was very loose so I thought that was the whole problem.
I put a new belt on (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8614) but it still doesn't work. So talking about the part of the mechanism that's under the playfield, what's happening is that the motor turns on, the motor drives the spindle just fine, but the pulley doesn't actually turn. If I disconnect the belt, everything turns just fine. With the belt disconnected, the reel above the playfield spins very easily, so it doesn't seem like anything is binding up there. Any ideas of what's wrong? It's like the pulley has no grip on the driveshaft, so the shaft just spins inside the pulley. I've tried tightening up the nut that sits next to the pulley to no effect. Everything looks the same as my before pictures from before I changed out the belt, but of course, it was broken in the before pictures.

Is the set screw tight? Pulley may be worn out. I replaced both pullies on mine. Still having issues, though. Looks like the belt is slipping on the lower pulley.

#2445 4 years ago
Quoted from mrboboto:

The set screw is tight. I assume it should be pushed hard against the pulley. I'm not sure what the pulley being worn out would look like?

I'm referring to the bottom pulley that has a "D" shaped hole. I replaced mine thinking it was worn out. It doesn't fit very tight and has a lot of play. The new pulley is the same so maybe it's supposed to be like that. The new pulley is made out of white plastic and think that's my problem. The belt slips much more easily on the white pulley than the old black one. Going back with the original one and looking for something I can shove in the gap to take the slack out.

20190814_224837 (resized).jpg20190814_224837 (resized).jpg
#2451 4 years ago
Quoted from mrboboto:

I think you just solved my problem- I either have the wrong pulley or its very worn as it’s more like an “O” shaped hole.

Definitely need to fix that. Top pulley looks very similar but has three small holes around the middle to where the reel slides in. If you reel does not have those prongs to fit in those holes that's another issue.

Top pulley (need to check manual to verify but this looks like it):
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8705

Bottom pulley:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8086

#2462 4 years ago
Quoted from theGiven:

Been a great run, but the Monster fish mod is coming to an end. I appreciate all that supported it! Two left with purple eyes and one left with green eyes, that's it. Then discontinued. If you've had interest in this, this is the last call!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1142-monsterfish-mods/01579-monsterfish-mod-fish-tales-monster-fish

Love this mod! Well made and perfect fit. Even my daughter who generally couldn't care less about anything pinball thought it was epic.

2 weeks later
#2489 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I put new plastics on my fish tales but the "old man" plastic with the rivet, I have yet to put on. What size rivet do I need for it and is there a video or walk through to show how to do it correctly without breaking the plastic?[quoted image]

In places like that, I use small button head machine screws. Got the idea from someone else here and perfect for plastics like this. They look almost exactly like rivets and far easier to use. Plus you can always remove them easily. I forget what length I got but you just want them long enough to hold the plastic and nylon nut.

ebay.com link: 5 40 Button Head Socket Cap Screws Allen Hex Drive Stainless Steel 18 8 Qty 100

1 week later
#2520 4 years ago
Quoted from kjensen:

Hey everyone. I just got a restored Fish Tales last month. Been reading this thread and thought you guys might be able to help me out. I'm new to pinball games so I'm not sure I know all the correct terminology.
The game has played flawless for a month. Recently, the Fish Finder ejector (not sure the correct name) has been ejecting the ball extremely hard. Sometimes it pops up on the rail and backs all the way to the reel.
Is this something easy to adjust?
Any info is appreciated!!

If it just started doing that, I would check for something broken or loose back there. Also check manual to see if correct coil used.

1 month later
#2565 4 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I picked up my Fish Tales several months ago but have yet to look into the Topper as all the lights work but the tail does not move. I have yet to really look into it but plan to look at it this weekend and i am hoping it is a loose wire or something easy, but any suggestions from the Club on common issues to get the fish moving again?

It's just a coil so the usual stuff. High chance it was just disabled, though. The fish banging is pretty noisy in the home environment. I put a couple of rubber rings on the plunger to soften it up. Much better option than disabling one of the coolest features in the game.

3 weeks later
#2638 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Pinball parts Australia is out of stock but you could see if they are going to get more . They have the left-hand side , why is the right-hand side so hard to get ?[quoted image]

Tooling molds exist for left side but right side were lost is what I heard. I guess it's too expensive to recreate and not enough demand.

#2665 4 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Thanks—the one I’m looking at is $3300. Aside from the topper, it currently has incandescents, which I’d eventually swap for LEDs. Beyond those, it appears to be in great shape with minimal fade.
A year ago I’d say this price is too high. These days I’m not as sure.

That's way high without the topper unless rest of game is in fantastic shape imo. $3300 is about right for a nice complete stock game. I'm not even sure you could find all the parts for the topper unless you find one used. Just the topper and fish itself are around $170 before shipping. Game is just not the same without the topper imo.

3 weeks later
#2708 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Anyone know where I can find a plastic dome for my topper mine was missing when I got it. Thanks!

Got mine here:
https://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Fish-Tales-Topper-Dome

3 weeks later
#2761 4 years ago

Backhanding the lock is near impossible on mine. My flippers are aligned to the pins and freshly rebuilt with correct coils. Maybe it has something to do with rubber used. I use stock red rubber. I've done it a few times on accident but never when I actually tried. Prefer it that way because game would be too easy if you could. It's much more satisfying to get dialed in to the shot using the left flipper. Love hitting that shot off a plunge and feel it thunk into the scoop.

2 months later
#2944 4 years ago

I recently put in LED and GI OCD boards to fix the bad LED ghosting. I debated trying the D6 rom but with all the dimming effects I figured the boards were the better choice. I don't care about the extra ball display glitch. Ghosting is much more of an issue to me. Glad I made the plunge. Game looks incredible now and no more ghosting. All LEDs work exactly as the game was designed with all the dimming effects. Huge difference to say the least.

1 month later
#3004 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Fitted an led ocd board today and much smoother inserts now, just need to work out how to put in the FT file to see if it’s even better.[quoted image]

I recommend the GI OCD board as well to get the full fade effects. I've put the ocd board in three games and have not noticed any difference loading the game specific file. The software does allow you to customize things but I see no need for that. Things look great right out of the box.

#3011 3 years ago

FT fades after ball ends and during attract mode. Probably other times but cannot think of them off top of my head. Like the inserts, the gi fade effects are subtle and just have a better visual quality. Hard to notice in a bright room like they often use for videos. It's debatable if it's worth the cost but I figure if you are going to fix the fade effects for the inserts might as well do the gi. That way the game plays exactly as designed.

#3021 3 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

What’s the consensus if LED’ing a Fish Tales: warm white, or sunlight white?
GI and inserts.
I’ve omitted colour-matching and cool white as I’m not keen on those options.
Incandescent is also valid, but I prefer LED!

Everyone has their own tastes. I prefer 2smd frosted sunlight for gi. Everything else is custom but for the most part color matching inserts except warm white for yellow/orange. Backbox depends on the art. FT has a lot of bulbs in the backbox so I left some empty. I'm not a fan of the kits. It doesn't take much time to inventory all the inserts and count the gi/backbox bulbs. Get exactly what you need and exactly how you like it.

#3038 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I replaced the lower pulley and belt with new ones from Marco. The new pulley also had play in it. The belt did need replacing as the old one was hard and had lost its elasticity. Replacing these 2 parts seemed to help a little at first, but after playing for a half hour or so, I had multiple malfunctions. I guess its optic replacement time tomorrow.

Went down the same road. My reel wasn't working great so replaced both pullies, belt, and optos. Worked better but still acted up. One of the problems was I could see the belt slipping on the pulley. The pulley plastic was very smooth so I hit it with some fine sandpaper so belt could get better traction. Second problem was same as yours. The "D" pulley had play in it even with a brand new one. I wedge in a small piece of paper into the flat part of the "D". That removed the slack and have pulley has worked flawlessly since.

2 weeks later
#3069 3 years ago

I used a couple of clear plastic washers to protect boat ramp plastic. So far so good.

#3077 3 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Where did you get the clear washers? Marcos?

I know Titan has them in different sizes. They are not very thick but you could double up. I didn't know there was a plastic protector so used what I had. Who sales that?

I would use metal washers if broken plastics are that much of a problem. Be nice if Cliffy or someone made nice metal protector that fit in there nice. I would buy one.

1 month later
#3177 3 years ago

Can't say I have tried it but seriously doubt you are going to hurt anything running without the sound board. Game will probably throw some errors but don't see why it would not play as long as the other boards work.

1 week later
#3203 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I went ahead and put single rubbers on the two posts instead of just the one that spans the two. It's not matching the manual, but now I don't get any down the middle drains when the ball comes flying down the left orbit.

Same here. I was used Titan rubbers which are a little stiff. If I remember right, the size the manual states was too tight. Tried a size bigger but had the problem you guys are talking about. Put single rubbers on each post and that worked best.

2 months later
#3316 3 years ago
Quoted from FelixTCat:

Ok so I found a red version at Marco but any ideas how to free up this one ? (sorry the description on Marco says it's a white button vs the red button in the picture)

I bought that button. It is red. I also had to fab a plate for it. I would prefer a stock looking white one but oh well. Can you take the button apart? I'm guessing it is gunked up or internal spring broke. If you hold it upside down does the button drop?

1 month later
#3381 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Just picked up one yesterday.
Need assistance with Comet LED selection
Planning on using the following...
Backbox - 2smd warm white frosted
Inserts - 1smd clear color matched
What is the best recommendation for GI?
Thanks

I would put 1smd in backbox. There are a ton of bulbs there and it gets way bright. I actually removed some bulbs in mine because it was so bright.

1smd color match is good choice for inserts imo. Use warm white for yellow and orange inserts, though. I sometimes use 2smd for large inserts and flex head bulbs for sockets mounted sideways or at angle.

I use 2smd frosted for gi. It's a personal preference but I like sunlight. Looks more natural than cool white and not as yellow as warm.

I also highly recommend ocd boards. It fixed the bad ghosting on my game and allows you to run fade effects.

1 week later
#3406 3 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

Non ghosting LEDs should not be necessary if you update your game to Rom L-6 (if you ever can find that one) or D-6 from ipdb.org, or use the LED ghosting patcher software and apply that to L-5.
Or if you buy the LED OCD from comet. And add the GI OCD. Might be overkill for fish tales but it makes a tiny difference.
I'm with northerndude on that, I color matched the inserts and they really stand out. I also used pure white LEDs everywhere for GI and backglass, because I don't think the orange glow of incandescent lamps would of been the first choice of lighting if they had options when designing the game.
Making a list of all the LEDs you need is long, matching the sockets, colors, brightness, preferred types (frosted, no dome, etc). And then you hope they have them all in stock, I had to buy different socket types and convert the few missing ones I needed. In the end it turned out great, even though 1 flasher was meant to be green I ordered white (fixed in the list), but you can't tell. I'll share my list, but it's a total mess and I bought a whole bunch of extras to test different things. It can be used as a starting ground to make your own. Don't blame me if any of these sockets are wrong. I don't remember any being wrong but who knows.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Pu2fyVC1u6je6g3HQdQr3ykF-xItfJ1jBB7PEW2yyg/edit?usp=sharing
No lens LEDs might be better under inserts , because they focus their light in a single direction so they bleed less to adjacent inserts. I used a flasher that I can bend (flex) behind the stretch the truth pannel to hide the bulb and have just the panel flash. I did that in a few places, like the bait for the fish.

+1 on making a list and ocd boards. You can just buy a bunch of white bulbs but without counting bulbs and socket types but you will end up spending a lot on extra bulbs you do not need. I make a list of all the inserts and then count bulbs in gi and backbox. Frosted 1smd in backbox and 2smd frosted in GI. I used sunlight white in my game. It's a more natural looking than natural white but not as yellow as warm. Make a list of all the inserts. Write down color, base type, lens type, and if flex. Flex bulbs are great for tight areas or where a traditional bulb would not be pointing directly at insert. I use 1smd clear lens for inserts but you might want to use 2smd for larger inserts. Frosted lens also might be better for some inserts than clear. Color match except for orange and yellow - warm white for those. Once I get a full list, I add up all the different kind of bulbs to make ordering easier. Throw in a few extras of gi bulbs since it's easy to miscount. Flashers are optional imo. Led flashers are very bright and get expensive. You can easily get away with leaving incandescent flashers in the game and save a little money.

I don't consider ocd boards overkill for any game. They fix all the negative issues with leds - ghosting, fading, and even brightness. Games look so much better with these boards I would never put leds in another game without them.

#3429 3 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

I had the same problem. I replaced the belt but still had an alignment issue. I then replaced the upper “cog” on the belt with a new one, but noticed even the new
Cog had a bit of play on the shaft. I wedged and broke off the tip of a toothpick inside
The small gap between the cog and the shaft...has worked perfect ever since

Same here. I replaced both pullies and the belt and still had issues. Everything looked like it was working ok but reel would get out of alignment. Both the new and old pully with the "D" shaped hole had a bit of play. I wedged some paper on the flat side to remove the play. I also scuffed up the pullies with scotchbrite pad. They plastic was very slick and I noticed the belt would slip. Worked flawlessly ever since.

#3453 3 years ago

+1 on above two comments. No way I would of bought my FT without a topper. I would wager money lost on selling without topper than with would be larger than what you would get for the topper.

2 months later
#3603 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

It looks very nice, but I cannot justify $400 for color,
Plus, I like to keep the machine as close to factory original as possible

It's not just color. Colordmd does not use the problematic high voltage circuits that dmd requires. Some dmd's have a loud humming/buzzing sound which I find annoying. Colordmd fixes all those issues and I like to think more reliable in the long term. Cost is high but reasonable if you consider having to get board work done and cost of new dmd. Plus, colordmd retains it's value pretty well and can be moved to another game. I'm kind of a purist myself but some things are just worth upgrading.

4 months later
#3764 2 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

When I shopped my Mousin Around I didn’t label exactly where everything should have gone. As such, I had some difficulty reassembling.
What made it easier shopping the Fish Tales was to take a big piece of cardboard (maybe from a recent delivery) and form it into the shape of the playfield and then tape the plastics on the cardboard to where they should be relative to the playfield. You can also place any screws or bolts through the cardboard so you can keep track of where they go and they won’t fall off. While not perfect, this made the reassembly way easier.

Putting things in plastic bags with labels best way to keep things straight imo. Notes should describe where parts go, where longer screws go, what gets a washer, or whatever. Taking pictures of disassembly along the way helps know how parts go together. I could see some things falling out of cardboard and then you would have no idea where it goes. Nothing gets lost in bags and you can thrown all of them in a box. I also label connectors in some way to know which two go together. Most of the time it's obvious but FT does have a lot of similar connectors.

4 months later
#4099 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I don’t have FT currently but had 3 over the years.
This doesn’t really address your issue but I used to happily let 2 of the ejected balls drain anyway , that gives you a chance to just control 1 and concentrate on a shot into the Casters Club . The other 2 will be saved and shot back up to the top of the playfield , giving you a better chance to control them and make a Jackpot

Plus if you can quickly get ball in casters club you might get a lucky bounce into the jackpot hole on plunge.

2 weeks later
#4124 2 years ago

Not much strategy in FT imo. You either go for Monster fish or mb. Super jackpots pay off big but good luck getting there. One thing I like to do is go for long casts to light the boat inserts. You can get two extra balls there (one from video mode) and decent points from video mode/rock the boat. Final award is instant mb and then the capture ball shot is worth decent points.

2 weeks later
#4239 2 years ago

Painted wireforms look terrible imo. Hurt resale value, too.

#4244 2 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Mine are very rusted, this is why i was thinking of getting them powdercoated.
what are my other options? Paying couple hundred to get them chrome ? Buy new ones?

I would look into getting them rechromed. If that is just too expensive, I would paint them silver to look stockish. Fish Tales has gone up in value quite a bit so think it would be worth doing right. I can't speak for others but I have no interest in buying a game that is all painted up unless it was cheap. Paint colors are very subjective and difficult/expensive to fix. If the paint starts chipping away it looks even worse. Buy hey, it's your game do what you want.

2 weeks later
#4287 2 years ago
Quoted from Steve_d71:

I heated mine up. Then you can bend it to the proper shape. Once it cools it keeps its shape.

Heat gun will get it flexible in very short time. I have not tried to bend that piece but have flatten warped plastics using heat gun. Works very well.

#4297 2 years ago
Quoted from Steve_d71:

Fishtales and Whitewater belong together. I have them beside one another and they're staying!
[quoted image]

Absolutely. I have them next to each other on the left of my line up just like you. Also have MET bookending the collection on the right. Awesome room! What is that coffee table game?

2 weeks later
#4358 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Check this forum for info on how to use pinball center to ship to the USA. (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/german-mail-forwarding-workaround-for-pinball-center)
Basically you need to use a service that will receive your order and then ship to you. I created a free account at mailboxde. I can update in a week or less with how my order goes I just placed.

You can also get someone in another country to deliver to and then they ship to you. Basically you end up paying a whole lot for shipping.

1 week later
#4408 2 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

The decals for the fishing rod plastic should be available next week at PPS.

Finally!

1 week later
#4425 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

A friend also told me to check the belt and go into the reel test, so I'll take a good look at all these options and report back.

If the reel is taking the ball from the ramp, spinning, and ejecting okay then there is no issue with the reel itself. That said, there are tabs on the reel that trigger optos as it spins. That's how the game keeps track of the reel movement and keeps things in sync. You should get awarded the lock before the ball even gets inside the reel. I would check the ramp switches first.

1 week later
#4468 2 years ago
Quoted from Hans_Saris:

If opto's are not the issue, suggest replacing the $5 dollar belt that may slip just a little bit .. but enough to cause reel multiball issues. This helped me solving the issue.

Problem on mine was belt slipping. With the reel spinning, you could look down and see the belt moving at different speed than pullies. Pullies were new and very smooth. I scuffed the pullies a bit with sandpaper to help get some bite and that fixed it. Another issue was one pully has a 'D' shape hole but was a little too big. It caused the pully to have too much slack when moving. I had to stick some thick paper in the flat part of the 'D' to remove the slack.

1 month later
#4606 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

My fishy provides a lot of airballs, is this common ? I've had the ball fly up onto the wireforms before!
Another query, can you turn off Big score in video mode but keep extra balls off?
I was watching a JDL pinball stream last week and fish tales was being played. They said they had turned big score off but I have no idea how.
If I can I'd like to turn that off as I find it the only unbalanced thing about fish tales scoring.

I might have explained it badly. It wasn't the coil wire, it looked like the lug was damaged, like it had got bent. I'd need to check it again to be sure.

Airballs happen a lot on mine. Balls seem to get airborne off boat post rubbers. Ball moves so fast it's hard to tell sometimes. Don't think it's a flipper thing. No airballs shooting anywhere else. Maybe it's has something to do with pitch of pf.

7 months later
#4967 1 year ago
Quoted from harig:

I hated the metallic noise of the topper when the plunger hit the fish. I put a small rubber ring at the end of the plunger thus it does not hit the metal bracket that holds the coil..super silent now
Hard to describe..but no pic atm

I did the same and believe it was shown earlier here. Nothing complicated - just put one or more rubber rings on the plunger to soften the throw. Think I used two on mine. You can still hear it banging but nothing obnoxious. Definitely recommend trying that than just unplugging it. It's a must have feature imo.

1 month later
#5074 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Having a very intermittent reel issue. I’ve played many games on it, but every once in a while it loses track of the reel position, and the ball gets stuck in the wireform as the wheel isn’t aligned. Then it spins and spins and spins for 5 minutes till it finds the ball. And when the ball is in the reel, sometimes it keeps spinning past the hole over and over.
The belt (Marco) was replaced 11 months ago. Any idea? Reel works fine in test mode, and the switches register just fine. Not sure what is causing it to go out of alignment like that

When I replaced both pullies and belt I had same issue. I eventually noticed the belt was slipping on the pully. I scuffed the inside part of the pully with some sandpaper to give belt something to bite. One of the new pullies also had a lot of slack. It had a "D" shape hole that was a little too large. I shoved some thick paper in there to take up slack. Those two fixes took care of all my issues and has worked 100% since then.

You can also check your reel tabs. The tabs break the optos which is how the game detects the reel position.

2 months later
#5205 1 year ago
Quoted from Conrad:

I have a question as I recently acquired a fish tales. I am trying to figure out why the lock ball drop target in front of the lock isn't popping up immediately for games. Is it a harder setting that utilizes it? I reset it to factory settings and still it doesn't pop up. But when I go into solenoid tests, it goes and goes down with zero issues. I had cleaned the mechanism originally as it seemed to be sticky on the slide. I thought something was wrong till I could test it working.
Thanks
Conrad

Drop target is down at beginning of the game. It stays down until you collect a jackpot in mb. Then it pops up and requires a hit to activate locks.

#5211 1 year ago

Honestly you don't need all the screws to hold the dome down especially in a home environment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 26.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.