766D8EA2-8B2D-4345-B606-BF2A8634A181 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20220714-161029_Brave (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220713-192938_Brave (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220713-192755_Brave (resized).jpg
IMG_20220713_221938 (resized).jpg
20220615_142723 (resized).jpg
20220615_141952 (resized).jpg
20220615_133824 (resized).jpg

There are 4,859 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 98.
#4751 58 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

My new CPR playfields arrived today after waiting years for them to do them again.
Be interested to see what people think.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Reminds me of the plastics I got from CPR for my Earthshaker. I emailed their support and asked if everything was supposed to look so fuzzy, and was told I was doing "CSI shit" or something by zooming in too close. Ignoring that it just looked fuzzy to my naked eye. Not a big fan of their direct ink work compared to screen printing, but could have done without the defensiveness.

#4752 58 days ago

With these games getting older and older I thought I would share a fix I just had to experience. Was playing a game and all sound goes completely out, Nothing. Restart machine and not even the BING for the test sequence. When the sound went out I did hear a little POP. Cabinet speaker had died, and this year of WPC games the sound is a complete loop so if the speaker dies - No sounds at all. $30 cheap fix but make sure you get a 8ohm speaker. When I pulled the speaker I did the 9 Volt battery test on lugs and no movement on the speaker, I did swap out another speaker from my WCS to confirm it was indeed the speaker taking a shit.

#4753 58 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Thanks for the advice, I have read quite a bit in your thread so I know you know your stuff and appreciate the advice. Cheers.
Just finished making a rotisserie but need to make another, got plenty of time now!
What are the best climate conditions to cure the playfield in? I keep my pinroom about 55% humidity and 62f.

I think if you are going to keep the game in the game room, I would put it against the wall in that room. Outside of the box. 2 things cause warpage. Gravity and drying out. sometimes pfs will contort when they dry because the layers of plys are not all the same and have the same strength. So if one ply that goes horizontal has a big chunk of bark in it (sometimes they are the size of 1/4 of the pf) the other opposing plys will be stronger.
Long story short... check it every couple weeks and adjust how you have it placed on the wall to counteract any warp. I do mine up and down as well as on their side, but always as close to up and down, as I can without it falling.
Obviously air circulation will help and speed it up.
FT is a great game to have restored. I love it! mark ritchie made some of the best games

#4754 58 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I think if you are going to keep the game in the game room, I would put it against the wall in that room. Outside of the box. 2 things cause warpage. Gravity and drying out. sometimes pfs will contort when they dry because the layers of plys are not all the same and have the same strength. So if one ply that goes horizontal has a big chunk of bark in it (sometimes they are the size of 1/4 of the pf) the other opposing plys will be stronger.
Long story short... check it every couple weeks and adjust how you have it placed on the wall to counteract any warp. I do mine up and down as well as on their side, but always as close to up and down, as I can without it falling.
Obviously air circulation will help and speed it up.
FT is a great game to have restored. I love it! mark ritchie made some of the best games

Thanks for the tips, very helpful. I restored it as good as I could about 10 years ago as I love fishing, it was just the playfield that was letting it down.
Shooter lane looks like someone has done some repairs on it, not too much wear on the inserts but it is warped a bit. I used to think it was the mylar that runs down from the caster club that made the ball swerve sdtm but later found the playfield is warped. Adjusted the level so it wasn’t so bad as my son would go crazy when that happened lol
I ended up putting a playfield protector on with decals over the fish which actually looked pretty good except the blue one was dark blue as the set came free when I bought the pin, I was drinking when I put those on

051AC997-91FD-4A4C-86AE-15A8752FFDD7 (resized).jpeg
#4755 58 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Just an update on the playfield, CPR have got back to me and acknowledged there was an issue with the printing. Basically it was set down wrong so the print doubled up on parts which is why it’s not clear.
Offered some money or exchange for another, so going to exchange.
Shame this happened but good they are going to resolve this quickly and explained what happened.

Did they say they were going to friggin' cut the shooter-lane switch? I believe that would be a rather big necessity..

#4756 58 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Did they say they were going to friggin' cut the shooter-lane switch? I believe that would be a rather big necessity..

They are sending me out another playfield and the batch is getting cnc’d as it looks like that slot was missed. At least nobody else will get that “Oh no” feeling.

#4757 54 days ago

The sucky thing about what I've heard more than a few folks say is how disappointing some of these issues are when they see their shipped playfield(s) up close and personal. I get that CPR is a great resource, and have bought a few of their PFs (pre-digital prints). That being mentioned they should have been more communicative about the positives and negatives about their new PF digital print process, rather than just respond after a phone call with a ..."oh we did have a problem with this... or "oh, we did have a problem with that... blah, blah, blah". To me that's just a poor customer experience and almost seems to me that they're trying to hide issues and move away from being transparent to customers... that's a slippery downhill slope IMO.

#4758 53 days ago

Update on my loss of sound saga…sound restored! I tried swapping boards and it didn’t fix the issue, so I figured at least one speaker was out, as others here helpfully suggested. They were correct. I decided to update all my speakers with a Flipper Fidelity system, and finally, sound. Excellent sound too, I must say. I’m not a big audio buff, although I do like the Polk external powered subs. I don’t know if I would spend the $ on pins with working stock speakers to upgrade all the speakers, but it definitely sounds more full, with more bass, and richer. I’m even getting a bit of shaker action from the bass, an added benefit! Very happy to have FT back in action. Thanks for those who offered advice on my sound problem. I still can’t believe my son (3.5 yrs) has the lock shot down and gets multiball on FT!

2A5F7AF2-C8BD-4588-9E53-2A2B68E38424 (resized).jpeg
#4759 52 days ago

Hey all, on your Fish Tales can you often live catch from plunge/orbit? I try over and over and the ball just bounces. I wonder if I need to adjust the ball guide to get the ball to feed to later in the flipper.

Any thoughts?

#4760 52 days ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Hey all, on your Fish Tales can you often live catch from plunge/orbit? I try over and over and the ball just bounces. I wonder if I need to adjust the ball guide to get the ball to feed to later in the flipper.
Any thoughts?

Never tried to live catch it from the plunge, but I can knock it straight into the casters club from the plunge about 20% of the time.

#4761 52 days ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Never tried to live catch it from the plunge, but I can knock it straight into the casters club from the plunge about 20% of the time.

This is the best shot in game! I love doing this, always put a smile on my face

#4762 52 days ago

Try a reverse shot on the plunge, let it hit the left flipper then immediately smack it with the right flipper on the bounce. Gotta get the timing just right! I get it into the Casters Club 20-30 percent of the time that way. Sometimes you can loop the long cast repeatedly using this same technique which is super sweet to get three or four in a row.

#4763 48 days ago

Morning guys,
My boards are back from the repairs shop.
Sound is now working back.

But now, i dont have anymore gi and ball doesn’t go in shooter lane.

Led 3 should be off and its on.

Any pointers where to start?

1062CB63-5805-4AE2-B57E-F8A5FB5D1306 (resized).jpeg

#4764 48 days ago

Problem solved, fuse f115 loose in socket.

Coil and gi back to life

#4765 48 days ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Problem solved, fuse f115 loose in socket.
Coil and gi back to life

Whew! Well done! Enjoy it this weekend ')

#4766 48 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Whew! Well done! Enjoy it this weekend ')

Thx! You too

#4767 42 days ago

For the eject at the back right...is there supposed to be a rubber pad of some sort on the metal ball stop? Mine doesn't have anything, and solid left loop shots are constantly bouncing out of the eject hole rather than staying put. Pic or info appreciated!

Thanks,
Randy

#4768 40 days ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

For the eject at the back right...is there supposed to be a rubber pad of some sort on the metal ball stop? Mine doesn't have anything, and solid left loop shots are constantly bouncing out of the eject hole rather than staying put. Pic or info appreciated!
Thanks,
Randy

Mine just has the metal deflector and works every time.

16573333849186103331012091814312 (resized).jpg
#4769 40 days ago

Anyone installed gi ou inserts ocd board?

Is it necessary? Which one? Or both ?

#4770 40 days ago
Quoted from Paseb:

I have the insert board. It looks awesome. The lighting effects are smooth like incandescents.

#4771 40 days ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Do me a favor and hit the 'notify me when in stock' button so that they produce more of these. I'm waiting for the LED OCD insert boards...

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards?variant=12493661700140

#4772 40 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Do me a favor and hit the 'notify me when in stock' button so that they produce more of these. I'm waiting for the LED OCD insert boards...
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards?variant=12493661700140

Stumblor does the Afterglow boards, I swapped the OCD board on mine for one after comparing them. Must have used nearly 20 Afterglow boards now.

#4773 40 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Stumblor does the Afterglow boards, I swapped the OCD board on mine for one after comparing them. Must have used nearly 20 Afterglow boards now.

That's pretty cool, I hadn't seen that. Do they have a pre-made kits with wiring available? Not sure if I'm in the mood to DIY this lol.

#4774 39 days ago

I've got a load of Afterglows also. They come with the wires made up now

#4775 39 days ago

When launching a ball (and passing the spinner down to the flippers) the spinner always rotates but seem to activate a speaker sound about 25% of the time. When playing a game and passing it or in test mode it seem to work/sound 100% of the time.

I was thinking it probably 'works" all the time but when launching a ball other sound gets higher priority to play so the spinner sound isn't played then.

It's not a problem but I'm curious if this is a common thing or only on my game (and if not common, what could be done about it),

#4776 39 days ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

It's not a problem but I'm curious if this is a common thing

Yup, you only get the spinner sound occasionally or just a at the end of the spin when plunging.

#4777 39 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Yup, you only get the spinner sound occasionally or just a at the end of the spin when plunging.

Great, thanks for the confirmation of my suspicion. Now I can feel my FT restoration is 100% done

#4778 39 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Is it me or i cant find them for sale?

https://stumblorpinball.com/collections

#4779 39 days ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Is it me or i cant find them for sale?
https://stumblorpinball.com/collections

Send him a message, he does batches from time to time. They are very popular over here.
They always sell out when he does a batch.

#4780 38 days ago

New GC score Saturday night. 3 balls per game, Lightning flippers. I switched from Titan flipper rubbers to Superbands and did this just a few games thereafter.

20220710_174219 (resized).jpg
#4781 38 days ago

New GC score Saturday night. 3 balls per game, Lightning flippers. I switched from Titan flipper rubbers to Superbands and did this just a few games thereafter.
[quoted image]

honestly, i suck at fishtales lol

my top is like 50 000 00

the game is just brutal and the ball goes so often in inlane... i dont know if im doing something wrong

#4782 38 days ago
Quoted from Paseb:

my top is like 50 000 00
the game is just brutal and the ball goes so often in inlane... i dont know if im doing something wrong

If you're losing the ball from the inlane, yes, you are doing something wrong!

#4783 38 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

If you're losing the ball from the inlane, yes, you are doing something wrong!

Inlane or outlanes?

The ones further left/right hehe

Sorry french here

#4784 38 days ago

[quoted image]

Amazing score! You cracked the top 10!!! That’s bonkers on a 30-year old pin. My best is 528m, and that included a 200m super jackpot shot. I love me some Tales. I’m a Titan guy tho. Maybe that’s my prob? Nah, I’m just not very good!

#4785 38 days ago
Quoted from Paseb:

my top is like 50 000 00

The game is definitely a speed demon. You just have to really make your shots accurate so the game doesn't punish you. And be ready to rapidly nudge the machine to keep balls out of the outlanes.

Quoted from Pinkitten:

Amazing score! You cracked the top 10!!! That’s bonkers on a 30-year old pin. My best is 528m, and that included a 200m super jackpot shot. I love me some Tales. I’m a Titan guy tho. Maybe that’s my prob? Nah, I’m just not very good!

I'm a Titan guy also. I am however discovering the merits of Superbands on the flippers. It seems to improve my ball control. I first used them on Guns n Roses because that game was shredding my Titans pretty quickly. I beat my GC on that game as well. I'm currently #1 on Pinside scores with that title. The superbands just suit me well on flippers. Titans everywhere else.

#4786 38 days ago

Once my game is back together I need to try and get a decent score, my best is just under 800mil and I have owned it for over 10 years.
My excuse is the warped playfield that causes sdtm although I recently levelled it so it wasn’t so bad.

2 bill is an amazing score!

Going to try and move over all the wiring etc in one lump as nothing needs doing as all clean and good, anyone done that on this game?
Is it even doable?
I have made 2 rotisseries so will be side by side.

9188B07A-F2BB-4177-8658-09A3E1472F89 (resized).jpegFA5F41DD-52E3-47E9-B77D-C557DDCD5185 (resized).jpegDD51A117-F07B-4FA5-B265-650313B0CDCA (resized).jpeg
#4787 38 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Once my game is back together I need to try and get a decent score, my best is just under 800mil and I have owned it for over 10 years.
My excuse is the warped playfield that causes sdtm although I recently levelled it so it wasn’t so bad.
Going to try and move over all the wiring etc in one lump as nothing needs doing as all clean and good, anyone done that on this game?
Is it even doable?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Moving everything with the mechs still soldered to the wiring is damn near impossible. I always cut the wires to the mechs, and add molex connectors. Once that is done, the harness and smaller switches can be moved without too much trouble. The mechs will have to be hand fit one by one on the new playfield anyway. I haven't done a Fish Tales swap, but I have done 3 others.

#4788 38 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Is it even doable?

Wow, that’s a beautiful FT. I restored mine also with Radcals and powder coat. Probably my favorite pin to play. It beats me up!

#4789 38 days ago

Moving everything with the mechs still soldered to the wiring is damn near impossible. I always cut the wires to the mechs, and add molex connectors. Once that is done, the harness and smaller switches can be moved without too much trouble. The mechs will have to be hand fit one by one on the new playfield anyway. I haven't done a Fish Tales swap, but I have done 3 others.

Yes was wondering about the mechs and how they will get fitted, I’m in no hurry but if there is a shortcut that works I’m in lol
I will have a look and decide when they are side by side.
Thanks will take that advice on board as this is my first and want to enjoy it.

#4790 38 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Yes was wondering about the mechs and how they will get fitted, I’m in no hurry but if there is a shortcut that works I’m in lol
I will have a look and decide when they are side by side.
Thanks will take that advice on board as this is my first and want to enjoy it.

Here's a couple pics of my Elvira playfield underside as I'm installing the cleaned up mechs. You can see where I've added the plugs on all the wiring. Plus it makes it easy to remove a single assembly if needed later on.

20210914_231022 (resized).jpg20210915_233312 (resized).jpg
#4791 38 days ago

Here's a couple pics of my Elvira playfield underside as I'm installing the cleaned up mechs. You can see where I've added the plugs on all the wiring. Plus it makes it easy to remove a single assembly if needed later on.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks very tidy, nice work.

#4792 37 days ago

I am planning on doing my first ever pf swap on a Diner later in the year (most likely next year) but in preparation I've done just that, I added connectors to all the major mechs and coils to make swapping a tiny bit easier.
Plus it'll make swapping coils and bits easier in future.

20220615_141952 (resized).jpg
20220615_142723 (resized).jpg
20220615_133824 (resized).jpg

#4793 37 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Is it even doable?

I've not done this myself but I recall it being talked about. I believe the process involved sliding a heavy sheet of cardboard or say a slightly oversized cut of 1/4" plywood down the playfield under the components that have been removed. Think of slowly pulling a shade down over a window. You'd slide it down a little at a time removing components as they meet the leading edge of the sheet. Then when all is unattached you'd lift up on the ply and move it to the other pf. slowly backing it out as you replaced the components.

I'd assume you'd need a really good dimple template and/or you'd set a single screw for each of the mechs and then use the rotisserie to spin and set/adjust final position of them after everything else is pinned down.

#4794 36 days ago

[quoted image]

Brilliant score !
My best is 1.5 bill , I tried superbands but I didn't really like them and went back to black rubber .
But I have them on the posts .
People talk about how good a coder Lyman Sheets was , but I think sometimes people forget how great a player he was .

IMG_20220713_221938 (resized).jpg
#4795 36 days ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

I've not done this myself but I recall it being talked about. I believe the process involved sliding a heavy sheet of cardboard or say a slightly oversized cut of 1/4" plywood down the playfield under the components that have been removed. Think of slowly pulling a shade down over a window. You'd slide it down a little at a time removing components as they meet the leading edge of the sheet. Then when all is unattached you'd lift up on the ply and move it to the other pf. slowly backing it out as you replaced the components.
I'd assume you'd need a really good dimple template and/or you'd set a single screw for each of the mechs and then use the rotisserie to spin and set/adjust final position of them after everything else is pinned down.

Yes I read something like that too, I have plenty of space. I will look to see if it can be done when they are on the rotisserie’s, one screw at at time is a good idea to fix the mechs and check for position. What can go wrong lol

#4796 36 days ago

Does anyone here know of a source for inlane decals that cover the spot where the ball drops from the ramps?

#4797 36 days ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Does anyone here know of a source for inlane decals that cover the spot where the ball drops from the ramps?

I need these too... The closest thing ive found is this...
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/fish-tales/10919/cast-again-overlay-for-fish-tales
Its from Pinball Center in Germany, and they wont ship to the USA.

#4798 36 days ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

I remove the mechs and label their wires. Then I do the same for GI and Control Lamp mains.
Then I remove all fasteners and lay a PF sized piece of 2 x 4 Welded Box Fencing over the top and Zip Tie the entire harness to it.

Then Transfer. Works a charm on the Bally PF swaps I have done.

#4799 36 days ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I remove all fasteners and lay a PF sized piece of 2 x 4 Welded Box Fencing over the top and Zip Tie the entire harness to it.

Brilliant! I'll admit it, i'm gonna totally steal that idea!

#4800 36 days ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Get a couple sets of these. They install from the top, and look amazing.

PassionForPinball.com

Screenshot_20220713-192755_Brave (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20220713-192938_Brave (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
There are 4,859 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!