p2 (resized).jpg
p1 (resized).jpg
FT1 (resized).jpg
fishtales sword (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 13.20.11 (resized).png
3ff3af1335f3cf0ab4ddec7bc6e817774e6da3b5 (resized).jpg
20240121_211414 (resized).jpg
20240121_211552 (resized).jpg

There are 5,566 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 112.
#4701 1 year ago

Bit off topic but my pinball collection’s demise due to COVID restrictions and the effect on my income has meant I’ve gone from 5 machines to 1 over the past couple of years. Each time I’ve sold up it’s been tough, but needless to say I’ve been happy with the return on investment with prices the way they are.
This is the order in which they’ve left;
Jack-bot
Judge Dredd
Getaway II
Simpson Pinball Party
Still have; Fishtails which I don’t think will ever leave.
Surprisingly, the one I miss the most is Jack-bot.
Let me know what order you would have sold them, and if anyone has a machine you’d sell fishtails ahead of.

#4702 1 year ago
Quoted from BT-ADL:

Bit off topic but my pinball collection’s demise due to COVID restrictions and the effect on my income has meant I’ve gone from 5 machines to 1 over the past couple of years. Each time I’ve sold up it’s been tough, but needless to say I’ve been happy with the return on investment with prices the way they are.
Jack-bot
Judge Dredd
Getaway II
Simpson Pinball Party
Let me know what order you would have sold them, and if anyone has a machine you’d sell fishtails ahead of.

Still have a Dredd and a Getaway (never owned a Simpsons) BUT out of all the machines i have owned then moved on, Jackbot is the one i most regret selling!!

#4703 1 year ago

I have sound issue cutting, making buzz sound while playing.

Where can i start?

#4704 1 year ago
Quoted from BT-ADL:

Jack-bot
Judge Dredd
Getaway II
Simpson Pinball Party

Sorry to hear that , covid has been tough .
I've moved on WOZ , Getaway Il and The Hobbit ( which I really loved , to get GNR )
For me Fish Tales is the perfect game and I've had it for 22 years , I know by now it's never leaving .

#4705 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

For me Fish Tales is the perfect game and I've had it for 22 years , I know by now it's never leaving

In a collection of pinnies that would include some more 'technical' machines with harder rule sets and some earlier SS machines that are pre multi ball and ramps then FT is the perfect FUN fallback machine i reckon!! Not one i'd consider moving on either

#4706 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

In a collection of pinnies that would include some more 'technical' machines with harder rule sets and some earlier SS machines that are pre multi ball and ramps then FT is the perfect FUN fallback machine i reckon!! Not one i'd consider moving on either

Bloody oath
It's got everything I want , humour , cool music , fastflowing , multi balls , autolaunch , rules I can understand and I love the video mode .
Hit the launch button and you're off , no stuffing around with soft skillshots .
Ticks all the boxes for me .
Oh , and don't forget one of the coolest toppers ever .

#4707 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It's got everything I want , humour , cool music , fastflowing , multi balls , autolaunch , rules I can understand and I love the video mode .

.. and great animations including a fish drum solo.

Yup FT was my first pin and a candidate for last to go. I am thinking jack*bot/pin*bot is similar and hard to part with.

#4708 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

.. and great animations including a fish drum solo.
Yup FT was my first pin and a candidate for last to go. I am thinking jack*bot/pin*bot is similar and hard to part with.

I love the fish solo makes me smile every time and the palm trees swaying .
It's my first pin and such fond memories of playing it at the pub , inbetween the strippers

#4709 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It's my first pin and such fond memories of playing it at the pub , in between the strippers

Yup, if I ever visit Melbourne, we gotta hang out. Strippers, beer, and pinball!!

#4710 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Yup, if I ever visit Melbourne, we gotta hang out. Strippers, beer, and pinball!!

Anytime , I'll have to Scout some locations

#4712 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

I have sound issue cutting, making buzz sound while playing.
Where can i start?

anyone?

i could also start the game and there will be no sound at all.

#4713 1 year ago

First thing i would do is check all the connectors on the boards and at the speakers

#4714 1 year ago

I Removed my ft sound board and i put my getaway soundboard in it and had no more sound.

I said fine, i will swap back to the ft soundboard and still no sound.

ps: i had sound prior the removal
I do hear hum sound from speakers.

My head is spinning.

#4715 1 year ago

Ill have one for sale, working, w/color dmd, has new decals not installed, N.O.S. clear dome goes with it not wholesale priced

#4716 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

I Removed my ft sound board and i put my getaway soundboard in it and had no more sound.
My head is spinning.

I'd post your saga in a tech thread of its own. You will probably get more people familiar with repairs than just is fish tales guys. Sorry I can't be of any help.

#4717 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Remove the speaker wire connectors from the sound board. Use your DMM set to ohms and put one test lead to each speaker wire connector. How many ohms do you read?

#4718 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'd post your saga in a tech thread of its own. You will probably get more people familiar with repairs than just is fish tales guys. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Good point, this is a WPC issue, not just a Fish Tales one.

#4719 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Remove the speaker wire connectors from the sound board. Use your DMM set to ohms and put one test lead to each speaker wire connector. How many ohms do you read?

Are you suggesting to see if a single speaker is failing? Im having some similar sound issues as OP but haven't really looked into it yet?

On occasion I've started my game and no sound, but restart and it's fine.

#4720 1 year ago
Quoted from shaub:

On occasion I've started my game and no sound, but restart and it's fine.

I had that happen once or twice over about a year, until recently I turned mine on and no sound at all. No hum, no pop at power up, nothing. I’ve tried everything I can. Finally ordered Flipper Fidelity set and I’ll upgrade while I’m troubleshooting this. Maybe I can solve it during install. I love FT and hate being out of commission.

#4721 1 year ago

Anyone else ordered a new playfield from CPR? I restored mine (cab etc) when they stopped making them so have been waiting a long time for this!
Thing I noticed with the latest CPR run is that the sunset fade is not as orange as mine, the trees are much darker green more smoothed not jagged and the words ‘old fisherman never…’ is not perfect. Probably other things but those stuck out for me, didn’t want the Mirco version as a friend had issues with his clear pooling.

#4722 1 year ago

Love the technical threads and I’ve fix plenty of problems by trolling through pinside over the years, but if anyone can indulge my topical post and give me the order in which they’d get rid of jackbot, Dread, getaway and TSPP it might help the healing process
Also, I know this forums all about Fishtails but I’d been keen to hear if anyone owns pins they love more than the big FT (it’s a safe place)!

#4723 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

My head is spinning.

I had a similar issue on my WH20 Sound Board (same as FT) and a failed cap blew out a trace on the back side. I'd pull the board and check for signs of over heated components or blown traces. I believe it was C28...

#4724 1 year ago
Quoted from shaub:

Are you suggesting to see if a single speaker is failing? Im having some similar sound issues as OP but haven't really looked into it yet?

If you were to remove both 505 and 504 from the sound board and test this circuit with an ohm meter you should get @ 4-8 ohms resistance. If you get some thing a lot higher or infinity then you could have a bad connection, broken wire or a burnt out speaker.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4725 1 year ago

If anyone has an old (but 100% working) original DMD (that they may have replaced with a ColorDMD) and would like to sell it... please DM me.

I just purchased a roached out FT that I plan on semi-restoring and would like to put in a regular/original DMD in it.

Thank you in advance.

#4726 1 year ago
Quoted from ULEKstore:

If anyone has an old (but 100% working) original DMD (that they may have replaced with a ColorDMD) and would like to sell it... please DM me.
I just purchased a roached out FT that I plan on semi-restoring and would like to put in a regular/original DMD in it.
Thank you in advance.

I have some working original DMDs, David. Message me.

#4727 1 year ago

My launcher metal handle is a bit worn so I'm considering having a professional repaint and coat it. I haven't decided on staying with a similar color or trying something new, for example silver/chrome instead.

If anyone have repainted it in a different color I would be happy to see some pictures, preferably mounted in the cab so I can see how it matches the rest of the game.

#4728 1 year ago

Old time spinning reels used to come in bright colors. I think metallic pink and metallic green combo would be cool with a cork handle plates.

retro (resized).jpgretro (resized).jpg

bling FT 2 (resized).jpgbling FT 2 (resized).jpgft black armor 2 (resized).jpgft black armor 2 (resized).jpg

#4729 1 year ago

I was wondering if another FT owner can confirm if the manual is correct in that J106 does indeed have a 5-pin connector with a red/white wire going to pin 5. I bought my FT and found that wire disconnected from anything without a connector on the wire. I looked in the manual and found “no” connector in J106 and assumed this is where it belongs…only problem was, when I added a connector and plugged it in, very soon afterwards, C11 started cooking and let out some “magic smoke”. I let it cool down, disconnected J106, and no problem since.

#4730 1 year ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

confirm if the manual is correct in that J106 does indeed have a 5-pin connector

What board is that on, so we can see where your looking?

#4731 1 year ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

I looked in the manual and found “no” connector in J106 and assumed this is where it belongs…only problem was, when I added a connector and plugged it in, very soon afterwards, C11 started cooking and let out some “magic smoke”. I let it cool down, disconnected J106, and no problem since.

Post some images of the connectors at the power driver board. Post several images that are well illuminated and in focus. The better the quality of the image the better your chances of getting a response.

If you've blown up C11 then it's likely you have the +50V line connected to the +25V line which results in reversing the polarity to C11. Electrolytic capacitors are polarized and don't like having their polarity connected in reverse. They tend to blow up when that happens.

Quoted from Neal_W:

What board is that on, so we can see where your looking?

It's the WPC-89 power driver board. The J1xx gives it away.

#4732 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Post some images of the connectors at the power driver board. Post several images that are well illuminated and in focus. The better the quality of the image the better your chances of getting a response.
If you've blown up C11 then it's likely you have the +50V line connected to the +25V line which results in reversing the polarity to C11. Electrolytic capacitors are polarized and don't like having their polarity connected in reverse. They tend to blow up when that happens.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Yes, J106 is on the driver board and the manual shows (1) wire going on that connector, which the manual indicates is a red/white wire, which is the wire I found in my back box with “no” connector on it. I put on a molex connector and put that wire on pin 5 just like the manual says, and that’s when C11 let out the magic smoke, pics will follow if necessary, but pretty clear cut and dry issue

#4733 1 year ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

pretty clear cut and dry issue

Ok. I read this as your issue is resolved (i.e. you understand the cause and the fix). I originally read your post and thought you had an issue (you didn't know why C11 blew up) which is why I asked for images. Sorry. Seems like you got it all fixed. Great work!

#4734 1 year ago

To answer the original question. Yes, J106 has 1 wire, red with white tracer which is going to the rightmost pin. The manual says that is the 20v for the insert board (backbox) flashers.

You will see there is a common red/white going to each backbox flasher socket. Do your backbox flashers work? Sounds like that is shorted. Maybe something crossed up inside a socket?

#4735 1 year ago

My new CPR playfields arrived today after waiting years for them to do them again.
Be interested to see what people think.

00030D46-CBF7-42B2-A008-FF098BD30505 (resized).jpeg00030D46-CBF7-42B2-A008-FF098BD30505 (resized).jpeg57D18E86-68CF-4C5D-8FC0-367850F08A86 (resized).jpeg57D18E86-68CF-4C5D-8FC0-367850F08A86 (resized).jpeg6065E475-EAD2-42BC-AAFA-CEEC09DD5050 (resized).jpeg6065E475-EAD2-42BC-AAFA-CEEC09DD5050 (resized).jpeg6FD02C25-E954-4D5F-AFC7-02F086A2FB7A (resized).jpeg6FD02C25-E954-4D5F-AFC7-02F086A2FB7A (resized).jpeg73594A0F-E6D0-4187-BBAE-D1DD1490D8DF (resized).jpeg73594A0F-E6D0-4187-BBAE-D1DD1490D8DF (resized).jpeg8BC54C43-7718-456C-BD1C-C02BBE40BA4C (resized).jpeg8BC54C43-7718-456C-BD1C-C02BBE40BA4C (resized).jpegEDB0E33D-D983-473F-AC32-9149A8E46309 (resized).jpegEDB0E33D-D983-473F-AC32-9149A8E46309 (resized).jpegEFC28ED7-B47E-42CC-A644-3A367F2B7203 (resized).jpegEFC28ED7-B47E-42CC-A644-3A367F2B7203 (resized).jpegF016B9E2-17B4-4EB4-B549-1D56AFB5D34F (resized).jpegF016B9E2-17B4-4EB4-B549-1D56AFB5D34F (resized).jpeg
#4736 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Be interested to see what people think.

WOW!

#4737 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Be interested to see what people think

Has that been done with their new digital printing or the original screen prints??

#4738 1 year ago

Looks like bad screen printing with the black and white letters. Was there any discount? I would contact them and let them know they got problems, and see what their story is.

The letters E S B on the tacklebox are just blobs.

#4739 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Has that been done with their new digital printing or the original screen prints??

I’m guessing digital as they don’t mention screen printing, and it looks digital.

#4740 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Looks like bad screen printing with the black and white letters. Was there any discount? I would contact them and let them know they got problems, and see what their story is.
The letters E S B on the tacklebox are just blobs.

Full price and some with duties and postage.

#4741 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I’m guessing digital as they don’t mention screen printing, and it looks digital.

That's what i was thinking too but wasn't sure if they had gone full digital with everything. I knew that the plan was to do most previous titles they had done before with the new system. Totally agree with Neal, would be getting in touch with them and see how you go.

#4742 1 year ago

Yeah I think it looks pretty rough, I would prefer a worn original over that, all the letters are so blurry and and black outlines feel super heavy. An acceptable option if your PF is completely toast I suppose. Was it graded at all? I don't think that should meet the gold or silver level...

#4743 1 year ago
Quoted from JLay:

Yeah I think it looks pretty rough, I would prefer a worn original over that, all the letters are so blurry and and black outlines feel super heavy. An acceptable option if your PF is completely toast I suppose. Was it graded at all? I don't think that should meet the gold or silver level...

No grading on these as digital print I think, they did that with silk screened playfields.
The blacks are not crisp (bit of echo effect) the face looks blurry for some reason, the green lines on the shirt are wrong (not solid), scuba diver blacks are off so face looks blurry and black outline on hands too thick which is what looks like an issue in other areas. My original looks so crisp and clear compared, night and day difference. Not what I was expecting from CPR.

I will contact CPR, just wanted some other opinions before I contacted them.

#4744 1 year ago

Are they printing these on a Walmart inkjet or what?

#4745 1 year ago

My understanding is CPR no longer silkscreens any playfields. It's all digital. In addition, there is no more silver, gold, etc... It's just a playfield. I could be mistaken, but that's my understanding. And I agree with others, that lettering is unacceptable for around $1000.

#4746 1 year ago

I'll also add this. I've done swaps with both CPR and Mirco. The Mirco is a superior product. Finish was like glass, and dimples on the back were almost dead on. The CPR clear had some small imperfections in it and a slight wavy texture in some areas, and the dimples were way out of line.

#4747 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I'll also add this. I've done swaps with both CPR and Mirco. The Mirco is a superior product. Finish was like glass, and dimples on the back were almost dead on. The CPR clear had some small imperfections in it and a slight wavy texture in some areas, and the dimples were way out of line.

My friend put a Mirco playfield in his FT after letting it sit for a while, there was pooling under all the posts. Looked terrible.

The clear on this one is good, flat and smooth although the inserts feel sunken a tiny bit. Passed the finger nail test even though they say don’t use it for about 45 days.

I have sent CPR a message, maybe it was sent by mistake.

Edit: Just noticed that the shooter lane switch slot has not been cut out.

4F9FFF6A-7884-4DB9-885B-0F1F1CFA0D27 (resized).jpeg4F9FFF6A-7884-4DB9-885B-0F1F1CFA0D27 (resized).jpeg
#4748 1 year ago

I really recommend you let a new pf sit for 4 months at least before installing. I know you want to do it now, but the wood and the clear are both going to shrink, and in my case I would rather make the decision of if the pf is good enough before installing, rather than when you are done.
Most new pfs look VERY different after sitting for around 4 months.
Just a suggestion.

#4749 1 year ago

Just an update on the playfield, CPR have got back to me and acknowledged there was an issue with the printing. Basically it was set down wrong so the print doubled up on parts which is why it’s not clear.
Offered some money or exchange for another, so going to exchange.
Shame this happened but good they are going to resolve this quickly and explained what happened.

#4750 1 year ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I really recommend you let a new pf sit for 4 months at least before installing. I know you want to do it now, but the wood and the clear are both going to shrink, and in my case I would rather make the decision of if the pf is good enough before installing, rather than when you are done.
Most new pfs look VERY different after sitting for around 4 months.
Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the advice, I have read quite a bit in your thread so I know you know your stuff and appreciate the advice. Cheers.
Just finished making a rotisserie but need to make another, got plenty of time now!

What are the best climate conditions to cure the playfield in? I keep my pinroom about 55% humidity and 62f.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus
Playfields
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 49.99
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
There are 5,566 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club/page/95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.