IMG_8277 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1424 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1419 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1422 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1425 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240410-104039 (resized).png
There are 5,604 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 113.
#401 8 years ago

Considering buying a FT and joining the club!

Concerns:

Fish inserts are slightly raised, will I have to reset them and clear coat the play field to keep from damaging the field further?

The reel lock is pretty messed up, it has had the wrong belt for years and the plastic around the holes is really beat. I can't seem to find any replacements in stock, anyone have a line on where I can find some?

And what would you pay for a slightly project FT? I can post some pics if people are interested.

Thanks in advance!

#402 8 years ago

Make a WTB request in the market for the reel, and see if anyone has a spare.

How bad are inserts lifted? Post some pics and I think you can get some advice on the value and repair tips.

#403 8 years ago
Quoted from offdutyninja1:

The reel lock is pretty messed up, it has had the wrong belt for years and the plastic around the holes is really beat. I can't seem to find any replacements in stock, anyone have a line on where I can find some?

Bought one 2 months ago for abt 5 euro if not wrong. pinballcenter germany

#404 8 years ago

Sorry about the glare, forgot to take them when we had the glass off.

When you run your finger over the inserts you certainly feel them. I don't mind the appearance, and I think it will clean up pretty well. But I don't want to damage the play field anymore, and don't know if I'm up for re-clearing the field.

Also, this appears to be a German reimport if that matters. Didn't see any under play field water damage, though the previous owner did some sloppy hacks to repair wires and I'll need to resolved some connections.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#405 8 years ago

Well i'm in the club now. I was sad to see my Sttng waltz out the door but the cash in pocket was a bonus. I just had to fill the gap in my pin collection and Fish Tales seemed a good choice (also didn't wipe out the cash intake). It's got the usual faded cab decals although the actual cab itself is in very good condition, just one small ding in the front left . There's some insert damage as far as lettering, etc and a little bit of wear but other than that all the plastics are good, ramp is good and solid wire forms. The fish has a broken tail (got one on order) and the machine had previously been fully LED and colour choices weren't too shabby. I've only got one LED out which is the red jackpot light below the lock lights, checked for a blown LED (nope) and swapped with working ones (still nope), tried changing holder / checking connection etc but still doesn't work. All the rest of the lights on that board work so wondering what it might be? (cracked track in the board maybe?)

DSC01733.jpgDSC01733.jpg

DSC01734.jpgDSC01734.jpg

DSC01735.jpgDSC01735.jpg

DSC01736.jpgDSC01736.jpg

DSC01737.jpgDSC01737.jpg

DSC01738.jpgDSC01738.jpg

DSC01739.jpgDSC01739.jpg

#406 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

All the rest of the lights on that board work so wondering what it might be?

Cold solder joint on the connector header pin on the board.

#407 8 years ago
Quoted from offdutyninja1:

When you run your finger over the inserts you certainly feel them. I don't mind the appearance, and I think it will clean up pretty well. But I don't want to damage the play field anymore, and don't know if I'm up for re-clearing the field.

I see very little of the typical FT insert wear on your playfield, so that tells me they are fairly level without further info.

Clean it, Polish it, Wax it, Play it. Still loving my German FT 980 plays after my first post here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-post-ft-needs-love-where-to-start

#408 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice Neal_w.

Unfortunately while I was putting the cash together it got sold to someone else... I had thought we had a deal.

Maybe I'll join you all eventually!

Quoted from Neal_W:

I see very little of the typical FT insert wear on your playfield, so that tells me they are fairly level without further info.
Clean it, Polish it, Wax it, Play it. Still loving my German FT 980 plays after my first post here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-post-ft-needs-love-where-to-start

#409 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Cold solder joint on the connector header pin on the board

Cheers mate, thanks, re-flowed the solder on all the pins (just to be sure, to be sure) and that sorted it

#410 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Well i'm in the club now.

Congratulations on joining us! Definitely a yellow cab, but the playfield looks pretty good. I love the deep blue look and can't wait to LED mine out. I just bought blue posts, new rubbers, and blue pop bumper caps and lane guides. Should be pretty cool.

I do have a question though. I started a thread on this, but thought I'd pass it by the club as well. Every once in a while, a ball is ejected from the reel when multiball isn't activated. It occurs very rarely, but it happens after a second lock. The second ball locks and then the reel spins and a ball falls out, sending it into the playfield. You can continue to play with two balls (the one in the shooter lane and the one that spat out of the reel) and after draining one ball, it doesn't count bonus. It knows what it did, but I don't know how to stop it.

Other times, the reel will not eject a ball when it is supposed to. There seems to be a small hang up between the inside of the reel and the edge of the playfield it is supposed to be put into. The ball comes about 1/3 of the way out and then stops. The reel spins and the next ball is ejected and then the other two spit out. Do you think that this means that the reel is misaligned somehow or improperly mounted causing one side of the reel to be too low and the other to be a bit high? any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#411 8 years ago

FINALLY, joining the club this weekend. 16 hour round trip drive and I am getting a beauty.

#412 8 years ago

20150919_193102.jpg20150919_193102.jpg

Finally in.....

#413 8 years ago

Nice! Welcome to the club!

#414 8 years ago

I have my FT all apart now, touching up the playfield and will be putting new cab decals on it. My topper dome has seen better days, but I'm hesitant to replace it since it has the mirrored sticker in the top and I can't find anywhere that sells it.

Has anyone replaced that sticker? I'm wondering if a local sign place could make a reflective sticker like that.

#415 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

wondering if a local sign place could make a reflective sticker

Any craft store should have adhesive reflective sheets, or grab something from amazon.

#416 8 years ago

So i spent the afternoon doing a semi shop job on my machine and changed over all the old white rubbers to Titan green ones and added blue Titan rubbers to the 5 posts. I also had a couple of anodized gold flippers hanging around and put those on as well. I then spent an hour fiddling with the LEDS in the back box trying to find a nice balance between making it pop in the right areas and being subtle in others and i think i've got it about right over all. I then finished off indulging my love of all things Monty Python by adding an appropriately related custom message I'm pretty happy with the results. Does anyone know if you can get the drive belt in colours other than white? It would be nice to match it with the green rubbers, just looks out of place now.

DSC01751.jpgDSC01751.jpg

DSC01752.jpgDSC01752.jpg

DSC01742.jpgDSC01742.jpg

DSC01744.jpgDSC01744.jpg

#417 8 years ago

The drive belt for this should be clear.

#418 8 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

The drive belt for this should be clear.

It's white on my machine, know where i can get hold of a clear one?

#419 8 years ago

I got mine from gameroomguys.com for $7.99 shipped.

#420 8 years ago

Monty Python & The meaning of Life!! I got it!

#421 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

changed over all the old white rubbers to Titan green ones and added blue Titan rubbers to the 5 posts

Notice any difference in play with the green rubbers? Lets see a photo!

The drive belt marco sells is also clear.

#422 8 years ago

Joined the club. Finally found a super nice example. Put up a decent score (for me, anyway) as well. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#423 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Notice any difference in play with the green rubbers?

Overall i don't think there is much noticeable difference between the Titan rubbers and regular rubber, certainly the flippers didn't seem much different, still the same in bounce and catch qualities etc. I do feel the slings may be a tad bouncier, just seemed to be a bit more deflection distance but i haven't put in enough games after the change to really quantify it just yet. I've got super band flipper rubbers on my other machines and i have definitely noticed a difference with those but i don't buy into some people's assessment of them though. I've seen reports of "major" playing differences, poor catch quality, lack of bounce, etc, etc and people saying it makes machines far easier to play. As Colonel Potter off the show M.A.S.H used to say "Buffalo Bagels"
A difference? Yes, a major change to the machine, No!!
The pics aren't fantastic but you'll get the idea, think i might add the rubber list choice to Titan's kit file as well.

DSC01754.jpgDSC01754.jpg

DSC01755.jpgDSC01755.jpg

DSC01756.jpgDSC01756.jpg

DSC01758.jpgDSC01758.jpg

DSC01757.jpgDSC01757.jpg

#424 8 years ago

Could someone take a nice picture of their "Long Cast" insert? Mine lost a lot of paint when I took the Mylar off the playfield.

Thanks!

#425 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

"Long Cast" insert

here is a big one...

IMG_9298.JPGIMG_9298.JPG

#426 8 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

So i spent the afternoon doing a semi shop job on my machine and changed over all the old white rubbers to Titan green ones and added blue Titan rubbers to the 5 posts. I also had a couple of anodized gold flippers hanging around and put those on as well. I then spent an hour fiddling with the LEDS in the back box trying to find a nice balance between making it pop in the right areas and being subtle in others and i think i've got it about right over all. I then finished off indulging my love of all things Monty Python by adding an appropriately related custom message I'm pretty happy with the results. Does anyone know if you can get the drive belt in colours other than white? It would be nice to match it with the green rubbers, just looks out of place now.

DSC01751.jpg DSC01752.jpg DSC01742.jpg DSC01744.jpg

I believe the proper belt is supposed to be clear for the drive, not a white rubber.

For reference:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-FT03-8614

#427 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

here is a big one...
IMG_9298.JPG

#428 8 years ago

Out of these two pins, guess what the most played on Sunday night?

FISH TALES!

People thought it was more fun, and over all a better experience...

12047201_910199699074149_9217032644697474629_n.jpg12047201_910199699074149_9217032644697474629_n.jpg

#429 8 years ago
Quoted from Silvercoin:

that's because it is!

#430 8 years ago
Quoted from Silvercoin:

it is!

I have had 2 creatures... both are gone.

FT is bolted to the floor.

#431 8 years ago

I'm about to join the club and have a lead on a FT that has significant cab fade, looks to be a credit dot, and is non-led. Playfield looks great from a not so great picture, no fish insert wear from what I can tell. What would something in this shape go for typically these days? What should I check for when inspecting this machine?

#432 8 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

I'm about to join the club and have a lead on a FT that has significant cab fade, looks to be a credit dot, and is non-led. Playfield looks great from a not so great picture, no fish insert wear from what I can tell. What would something in this shape go for typically these days? What should I check for when inspecting this machine?

Well cabinet fade is pretty common (obviously), but it can be fixed for a couple hundred bucks if you feel the need to replace. I'd check the startup tests to see if the credit dot is something stupid like no date/time set or something.

That being said, the playfield having no insert wear is somewhat uncommon. I'd place that higher in priority than the cabinet fade personally. Assuming it plays well and doesn't need much (if any) work, you'd be looking at probably 2500ish. Might be able to talk them down to lower 2k if you're a shrewd businessman.

#433 8 years ago

Anyone have the G5 romset with spelling correction and anti ghosting?

#434 8 years ago
Quoted from Atreyu:

Well cabinet fade is pretty common (obviously), but it can be fixed for a couple hundred bucks if you feel the need to replace. I'd check the startup tests to see if the credit dot is something stupid like no date/time set or something.
That being said, the playfield having no insert wear is somewhat uncommon. I'd place that higher in priority than the cabinet fade personally. Assuming it plays well and doesn't need much (if any) work, you'd be looking at probably 2500ish. Might be able to talk them down to lower 2k if you're a shrewd businessman.

That's right where the seller is at right now. Thanks for the input!

#435 8 years ago

**Calling all Caster's Club members**

If you haven't already voted in the thread below, please "cast" your votes now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-2500-90s-dmds-round-4/page/2#post-2728705

#436 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

**Calling all Caster's Club members**
If you haven't already voted in the thread below, please "cast" your votes now.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-2500-90s-dmds-round-4/page/2#post-2728705

BSD is beating FT by only 7 votes right now! Get in there and make them see "What a beauty" FT is!

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from Atreyu:

BSD is beating FT by only 7 votes right now! Get in there and make them see "What a beauty" FT is!

It's funny because these are the only 2 pins I own, BSD is leaving before FT ever will!

#438 8 years ago
Quoted from Atreyu:

Monster Fish Bump! Only four votes away.

#439 8 years ago

We are nipping at Drac's heels. Only two votes to go. Let's get some votes in before the sun goes down.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-2500-90s-dmds-round-4

#440 8 years ago

Only 1 away now!!! Maybe I should create another account just to get that last vote in

#441 8 years ago

We took the lead for a bit, but Drac woke up and has surged ahead.

#442 8 years ago

Ya know, now that I have a Fish Tales... all I see are people wanting one? Before it was just everyone complaining about it?

1 week later
#443 8 years ago

Im in! Enjoying getting my ass kicked on this one.// Error: Image 465006 not found //// Error: Image 465005 not found //20151017_124827.jpg20151017_124827.jpg20151017_124840.jpg20151017_124840.jpg20151017_124752.jpg20151017_124752.jpg

1 week later
#444 8 years ago

I'm looking for a couple boat plastics if anyone has an extra?

#445 8 years ago

I'm thinking about getting the shooter handle re-coated as mine is fairly worn. What's the original colour?, going off mine it looks too dark for chrome and too bright for straight black. Were they originally a black chrome?

#446 8 years ago

Starting to read through this thread as FT is one of the games I have my eye on in the future. Whats the ballpark price for these nowadays? Also, how do guests that aren't hardcore pinheads like it?

#447 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Starting to read through this thread as FT is one of the games I have my eye on in the future. Whats the ballpark price for these nowadays? Also, how do guests that aren't hardcore pinheads like it?

I can't speak for the price in Cali, but it always gets a lot of play at my house when people come over. The theme seems to be very approachable.

#448 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I can't speak for the price in Cali, but it always gets a lot of play at my house when people come over. The theme seems to be very approachable.

Thanks! I really keep guests in mind when selecting pins to own. Concerned that the Lightning flippers will be too tough on them, and don't want to swap with regular length ones.

#449 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Thanks! I really keep guests in mind when selecting pins to own. Concerned that the Lightning flippers will be too tough on them, and don't want to swap with regular length ones.

That's really not too much of an issue. Just keep the outlanes easy and tell them not to go for the captive ball and they should be good. The table is simple enough for beginners to understand yet some of the shots you need for maximum points take a lot of good technique to master. I've been playing mine nonstop for the last couple of months and still have trouble being as consistent as I'd like. Especially with new rubbers and assuming everything is snappy and responsive, it's a very good pin for both beginners and long time players.

#450 8 years ago
Quoted from Atreyu:

That's really not too much of an issue. Just keep the outlanes easy and tell them not to go for the captive ball and they should be good. The table is simple enough for beginners to understand yet some of the shots you need for maximum points take a lot of good technique to master. I've been playing mine nonstop for the last couple of months and still have trouble being as consistent as I'd like. Especially with new rubbers and assuming everything is snappy and responsive, it's a very good pin for both beginners and long time players.

good rundown, thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 169.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,604 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 113.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.