IMG_8277 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1424 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1419 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1422 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1425 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240410-104039 (resized).png
There are 5,608 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 113.
#4401 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I usually dont like powdercoating on Fish Tales, but that finish is awesome!

I think FT almost requires powder coating that sparkle is amazing.

I am not a fan of the blue or orange powder coating but this sparkle is perfect otherwise black looks clean on the game. The issue on FT without powder coating the stainless rails, lockdown, legs, coin door and the shooter fishing rod handle don’t match, the hinges are black…coin door is Black, hinges are black just make it match (the shooter fish reel thing is a different color then all other parts).

Since many FT are played hard, faded etc powder coating is only done when a decent restore is done. But, it is a game that can use it to bring things together to a better look (it’s a personal choice to not like the blue or orange I have seen).

#4402 2 years ago

Got my FT in this weekend.

Swapped J206 and J29 for new connectors has not all was working as expected.
Now everything works except Start button sw 13 (rather essential ) and the cast shooter button Sw 31 (Flip can take over if needed)

All other switches in the matrix (horizontal or vertical) are working. The start button did work for a couple of days. And it worked till this morning on the new connectors until I started playing with it to see if SW31 wouldn't react.

To be sure I removed white/orange (J209/208) and Green/black (J206/207) cables and put them back in with my IDC tool.
Tried the other mentioned connectors as well, no results.

Any suggestions ?

#4403 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Now everything works except Start button sw 13 (rather essential ) and the cast shooter button Sw 31 (Flip can take over if needed)
All other switches in the matrix (horizontal or vertical) are working. The start button did work for a couple of days. And it worked till this morning on the new connectors until I started playing with it to see if SW31 wouldn't react.
To be sure I removed white/orange (J209/208) and Green/black (J206/207) cables and put them back in with my IDC tool.
Any suggestions ?

Use a continuity tester and do the basic tests to see if both the white/orange and green/BROWN (you mentionned black, but black is column 5 according to manual) can be traced back to the connector. One probe on the white/orange at the switch , one at the connector, then do the same for the green/brown. Both must have continuity. Then test the start switch continuity with a probe on each side and press the button, if the switch is good, next is to check the diode at the switch. Same idea goes for the cast button. Test the continuity of both wires all the way back to their respective pin on the connector, then the switch itself, then the diode. If you can't measure continuity from one of the wires all the way to the connector, follow that wire from switch to switch and see if the connection is broken somewhere.

#4404 2 years ago

The decals for the fishing rod plastic should be available next week at PPS.

#4405 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Any suggestions ?

It's very possible one of the connectors on the coin door interface board is dirty or has a cracked solder joint. In red is the wires related to the start button (white/orange + green/brown) and in blue the only wire related to the cast button (white/brown).

Start.pngStart.png
#4406 2 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Nice!, might just have to buy one of your plastics then!

#4407 2 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

It's very possible one of the connectors on the coin door interface board is dirty or has a cracked solder joint. In red is the wires related to the start button (white/orange + green/brown) and in blue the only wire related to the cast button (white/brown).
[quoted image]

Great info ! I'll test continuity and check the connectors in coindoor. Thx

#4408 2 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Finally!

#4409 2 years ago

i might need a new motor/gearbox assy: 14-7967

anyone has a spare NOS for sale?

#4410 2 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

i might need a new reel: 14-7967
anyone has a spare NOS for sale?

That part # is for the motor/gearbox assy. Marco has it.

#4411 2 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

That part # is for the motor/gearbox assy. Marco has it.

my bad, thx!

#4412 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Now everything works except Start button

Sometimes the start button switch can pop out of its holder, so make sure the button is hitting the switch firmly.

#4413 2 years ago

I spent some time poking around my Fish Tales last night to see if I needed the replacement fishing pole plastic. Mine is in great shape, but the sticker is bubbling up in multiple places. Anyone try to peel it off an replace it?

#4414 2 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

[quoted image]

Issue was not coin door PCB or the devices themselves but J212. took all cables out of the plug and put them back in...
Problem solved. Thx for your tips these showed me J212 was involved as well !!

#4415 2 years ago

I finished adding my newly powder coated rails. Holy crap the originals were murder getting off. That thick, black 2-sided tape wasn’t letting go even with a sharp paint scraper and a rubber mallet. But I finally got them off. I’ve never removed rails before. Turned out great! Thanks, Steve at Pinball Refinery.

243E0E90-E5C4-4155-BBEA-C59D8D254A84 (resized).jpeg243E0E90-E5C4-4155-BBEA-C59D8D254A84 (resized).jpeg062B909C-3F68-481B-9E8F-05ACC3718F86 (resized).jpeg062B909C-3F68-481B-9E8F-05ACC3718F86 (resized).jpegC8DCFE0E-E4AE-4686-A588-6B799E364A48 (resized).jpegC8DCFE0E-E4AE-4686-A588-6B799E364A48 (resized).jpegCD6DEDCA-AF0D-43E1-8F6A-910B9BB47715 (resized).jpegCD6DEDCA-AF0D-43E1-8F6A-910B9BB47715 (resized).jpeg
#4416 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I finished adding my newly powder coated rails. Holy crap the originals were murder getting off. That thick, black 2-sided tape wasn’t letting go even with a sharp paint scraper and a rubber mallet. But I finally got them off. I’ve never removed rails before. Turned out great! Thanks, Steve at Pinball Refinery.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! And, if you ever have to remove taped on rails again, a heat gun is your BEST friend!

#4417 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Looks great! And, if you ever have to remove taped on rails again, a heat gun is your BEST friend!

Thanks for the tip! I actually did read about the heat gun trick, my only concern was the Radcals I already had installed. I was worried the heat could damage them. But I’m guessing heat applied only to the rail from above might be ok. Anything would be better than my nightmare with these. Here are my old rails, they are available.

B715209E-5F8D-468D-AE96-441AAB82A706 (resized).jpegB715209E-5F8D-468D-AE96-441AAB82A706 (resized).jpeg
#4418 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks for the tip! I actually did read about the heat gun trick, my only concern was the Radcals I already had installed. I was worried the heat could damage them. But I’m guessing heat applied only to the rail from above might be ok. Anything would be better than my nightmare with these. Here are my old rails, they are available.
[quoted image]

Haaaa!! Awesome! How much, I need a spare set!! Also another tip I do. Some may not like it but...
When I put the new rails on, I don't use any double sided tape. The rails are already secured front and back from the factory. Then I just tap 1 extra screw in the center to help out. That way if the rails ever need to come back off, it's simple and no damage is done.

#4419 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

When I put the new rails on, I don't use any double sided tape.

I went pretty light on the tape. I cut the strip in half from about an inch wide to more like 1/2 inch, then I used it sparingly. Just enough to keep the rail firmly in place.

#4420 2 years ago

Having a problem with the ball lock. The ball makes it to the reel, the reel spins and drops the ball, but then the ball is ejected back into play with no lock being registered. I assume that this is a problem that others have encountered. Before I start disassembling, any tips on where to start? I'm not sure whether it's an opto or other type of switch that registers the lock and how hard it is to get to.

#4421 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Having a problem with the ball lock. The ball makes it to the reel, the reel spins and drops the ball, but then the ball is ejected back into play with no lock being registered. I assume that this is a problem that others have encountered. Before I start disassembling, any tips on where to start? I'm not sure whether it's an opto or other type of switch that registers the lock and how hard it is to get to.

I bet its the opto, loose wire or maybe the opto is dirty or bad. It's easy to get to.

#4422 2 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I bet its the opto, loose wire or maybe the opto is dirty or bad. It's easy to get to.

I'd also go into switch test and make sure the switch on the crossover ramp (under the metal cover with a fly on it) is working properly. Mine was doing the same, and I just had to adjust this switch slightly.

#4423 2 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Thanks. I'll get at it!

Quoted from yzfguy:

I'd also go into switch test and make sure the switch on the crossover ramp (under the metal cover with a fly on it) is working properly. Mine was doing the same, and I just had to adjust this switch slightly.

Superb. Thanks!

#4424 2 years ago

A friend also told me to check the belt and go into the reel test, so I'll take a good look at all these options and report back.

#4425 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

A friend also told me to check the belt and go into the reel test, so I'll take a good look at all these options and report back.

If the reel is taking the ball from the ramp, spinning, and ejecting okay then there is no issue with the reel itself. That said, there are tabs on the reel that trigger optos as it spins. That's how the game keeps track of the reel movement and keeps things in sync. You should get awarded the lock before the ball even gets inside the reel. I would check the ramp switches first.

#4426 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

That.

#4427 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If the reel is taking the ball from the ramp, spinning, and ejecting okay then there is no issue with the reel itself. That said, there are tabs on the reel that trigger optos as it spins. That's how the game keeps track of the reel movement and keeps things in sync. You should get awarded the lock before the ball even gets inside the reel. I would check the ramp switches first.

Got it. Thanks. The game is routed, so I plan to check it on location later today. Great tips!

#4428 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

That indeed did the trick. The simplest of solutions! Thanks so much.

#4429 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

That indeed did the trick. The simplest of solutions! Thanks so much.

Awesome! Glad my misery could help someone else

#4430 2 years ago

Another FT question. Considering upgrading to a color DMD. However, the support page says that ROM L-5 is needed. My FT is running ROM L-4. What is the simplest way to update to L-5? I've done chip swaps before.

#4431 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

What is the simplest way to update to L-5?

Get the L-5 game ROM, pull out the L-4 game Rom, stick the L-5 game ROM in. Line up the notch on the end of the chip with the mark on the board. Don't trust labels.

LTG : )

#4432 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Get the L-5 game ROM, pull out the L-4 game Rom, stick the L-5 game ROM in. Line up the notch on the end of the chip with the mark on the board. Don't trust labels.

Thanks, Lloyd. Funny you mention labels--I suspect my current ROM is definitely mislabeled, so I'm trusting the DMD ROM readout. Thanks!

#4433 2 years ago

This is exactly why it’s worth reading Pinside! I had no idea that the ROM installed mattered. Thanks for the info!!

#4434 2 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

This is exactly why it’s worth reading Pinside! I had no idea that the ROM installed mattered. Thanks for the info!!

Here is an example.

LTG : )

closeup-ic-polarity (resized).jpgcloseup-ic-polarity (resized).jpg
#4435 2 years ago

The finished beer cooler!

717967DB-D3FD-4359-8142-DBA65D1AE7CB (resized).jpeg717967DB-D3FD-4359-8142-DBA65D1AE7CB (resized).jpeg
#4436 2 years ago

Needs more Pill

0005632759323 (resized).jpg0005632759323 (resized).jpg
#4437 2 years ago

Doublepost

#4438 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

[quoted image]

That's pretty slick! And I don't mean to be "that guy" who gives you a new favorite word, and then calls you out, but... You know that your rubber setup under the cooler is incorrect, right?

#4439 2 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

That's pretty slick! And I don't mean to be "that guy" who gives you a new favorite word, and then calls you out, but... You know that your rubber setup under the cooler is incorrect, right?

Thanks! I actually didn’t notice that. Many of the rings were placed by the prior owner. What’s the correct configuration?

#4440 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

[quoted image]

Damn, cool idea

can you make another one for me, id be happy to purchase.

#4441 2 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Damn, cool idea
can you make another one for me, id be happy to purchase.

It’s actually pretty easy and was fun to make. I found the mini cooler, mini “ice” and beer cans on Etsy. I used a clear epoxy and poured it over the ice in the cooler, then while it was still wet I pushed the beers into the ice. Then I poured a bit more epoxy over it. Not hard to do and maybe around $20 to do. The cooler was around $8 and the ice and beers are sold by a few people for a few bucks.

#4442 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

What’s the correct configuration?

IMG_0692 (resized).jpgIMG_0692 (resized).jpg

IMG_0693 (resized).jpgIMG_0693 (resized).jpg

#4443 2 years ago

^^^^ that ^^^^^

Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks! I actually didn’t notice that. Many of the rings were placed by the prior owner. What’s the correct configuration?

#4444 2 years ago

My friend lou finished my FT resto

Cant wait to get the game at home and play it for the 1st time.

I have a NOS apron coming as well. Old one will be for sale.

F71B3258-9955-4ECC-B578-6B4C74601C1F (resized).jpegF71B3258-9955-4ECC-B578-6B4C74601C1F (resized).jpegBB51195A-3212-45D4-B443-F27ED95870AC (resized).jpegBB51195A-3212-45D4-B443-F27ED95870AC (resized).jpegEC5A8B1A-F75A-4A82-865E-578AD6552ACB (resized).jpegEC5A8B1A-F75A-4A82-865E-578AD6552ACB (resized).jpeg173314BE-1283-4800-BF62-A5BE4F90F743 (resized).jpeg173314BE-1283-4800-BF62-A5BE4F90F743 (resized).jpeg2915F681-C4B4-401C-9F6E-20874C8FA63A (resized).jpeg2915F681-C4B4-401C-9F6E-20874C8FA63A (resized).jpeg3C7F9A43-A3CC-4087-9AEC-8EF25960FABA (resized).jpeg3C7F9A43-A3CC-4087-9AEC-8EF25960FABA (resized).jpeg3DB5C11A-E837-41F7-80DF-520C38583F96 (resized).jpeg3DB5C11A-E837-41F7-80DF-520C38583F96 (resized).jpeg7925293B-41DD-4102-9BC0-332B033E4E9B (resized).jpeg7925293B-41DD-4102-9BC0-332B033E4E9B (resized).jpegC5720929-6231-4C38-8B8C-63DFC12852A8 (resized).jpegC5720929-6231-4C38-8B8C-63DFC12852A8 (resized).jpegCB8AA337-F509-465F-B519-3CD1E0A8FC8E (resized).jpegCB8AA337-F509-465F-B519-3CD1E0A8FC8E (resized).jpeg

#4445 2 years ago

"What a beauty!"

#4446 2 years ago

Played FT last weekend at the Pinball Hall of Fame (standard flippers, but still) and I'm hooked (pun intended). I'm crushing it on Pinball FX3 now and have a wanted ad in the marketplace. Such a fun pin - I think I really like the tension of the hurry-ups, and the overall vibe is just perfectly silly. How's it fare in a smaller collection? I'm realizing now I really love the feel and personality of the 90s pins, even if they aren't as deep, so I'm not too worried. But I'm interested in feedback. Hoping to join the club sometime soon!

#4447 2 years ago

Only game I've bought twice. No brainer. Get it. It's a classic.

#4448 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

How's it fare in a smaller collection?

Games are fast and has tons of 'one more game' appeal, so it fits well in a small collection IMHO.

#4449 2 years ago

completely agree! Very difficult game and if you like a challenge buy one! It definitely has that one more f'n game vibe, so rewarding when you bust out a good game! I've had more than a few games with a huge score on ball one only to be humbled by ball 2 and 3 lol
\

#4450 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Played FT last weekend at the Pinball Hall of Fame (standard flippers, but still) and I'm hooked (pun intended). I'm crushing it on Pinball FX3 now and have a wanted ad in the marketplace. Such a fun pin - I think I really like the tension of the hurry-ups, and the overall vibe is just perfectly silly. How's it fare in a smaller collection? I'm realizing now I really love the feel and personality of the 90s pins, even if they aren't as deep, so I'm not too worried. But I'm interested in feedback. Hoping to join the club sometime soon!

I love games like FT! It fits perfectly into the category of "Easy to understand, hard to master". Mine is bolted to the floor. It's also a favorite for non pinhead guests. If you do get one, you gotta go original and use lighting flippers though. It's adds to the speed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.50
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,608 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 113.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club/page/89?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.