20211126_101428 (resized).jpg
20211126_101409 (resized).jpg
20211126_101357 (resized).jpg
20211126_100222 (resized).jpg
20211126_100212 (resized).jpg
A4F918B9-C3D5-4515-8BEF-6ACFFA68E2E4 (resized).jpeg
CD4353E1-3AA6-4C39-BA55-4D6685BB7C28 (resized).jpeg
20211126_045358 (resized).jpg

There are 4,088 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 82.
#4051 5 days ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Is it common for the ball to get stuck the switch slot on the top right orbit, below the saucer and above LIE?
I tried fiddling with the way the switch arm sits. To see if it doesn't let it sit there, or let's it roll back and no luck.
Also,
I installed a Afterglow nano (like ledocd) and I'm attract mode all the insert lamps get stuck on after a period of time... But then go back to working if you start a game, enter the operator menu, or restart the game.
I'm not sure if its the afterglow board or its a coincidence.
It seems odd how it works OK for a while then they eventually get stuck on and is solved easily
Any ideas appreciated

for the afterglow board: Do you have the latest firmware (was it 1.08?) installed ?

#4052 5 days ago
Quoted from lemmings418:

HA! We are refreshing our basement with new flooring, wiring and a drop ceiling. My four pins are covered with the heads down.
We had to move them around to give the workers access to different areas.
Want to guess which one is right by my office, with a narrow walkway to get by.
Yup, the FT.
Three bruises and counting.

If I owned a FT I would probably remove the handle from the game and wire in a standard launch button instead (assuming the hole in the cabinet behind the handle is of standard size). It's basically just a simple switch in that handle anyway.

I would of course keep the handle so It could be reversed to original the day I wanted to sell the game.

#4053 5 days ago

Is it common for the ball to get stuck the switch slot on the top right orbit, below the saucer and above LIE?
I tried fiddling with the way the switch arm sits. To see if it doesn't let it sit there, or let's it roll back and no luck.

Happens on mine too. Really annoying, so if anyone have a fix it would be awesome!

#4054 5 days ago

Is it common for the ball to get stuck the switch slot on the top right orbit, below the saucer and above LIE

If memory serves me, I believe there was some discussion of this exact problem not too long ago in this thread. I believe there was some speculation about playfield pitch being the possible culprit. The poster had also tried different switches. Mine doesn't have this issue, but pitch is a logical suspect.

#4055 5 days ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

I need that too! If you happen to find a source would you mind pming me?

I also need one, please send me a pm as well.

#4056 5 days ago
Quoted from harig:

for the afterglow board: Do you have the latest firmware (was it 1.08?) installed ?

Not sure, i suppose I should plug it into my pc and see!

#4057 4 days ago

Hi All, this may be on a long shot, but I posted this thread regarding an issue I am having with Fish Tales after getting the power board repaired: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weird-issue-with-fish-tales-appreciate-any-help

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#4058 4 days ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Anyone else run into issues with Racking themselves with the Fishing Rod shooter or hitting there leg and leaving nasty bruises.
Oh I so hate this one feature of the game so much I'm wondering if anyone has taken this shit off.

Smashing your head on it after bending down ,or crawling around under machines for whatever reason, is to be avoided. I talk from Fish Tales and Dirty Harry experience

#4059 4 days ago

This might seem really ocd but when the balls are ejected from the reel, where are they supposed to hit? Mine hit the left ball guide and bounce over the flipper, often stdm 3 balls in a row unless I flip wildly!
And sometimes thet jump over the flipper even if you held it up.

Just wondering if they're intended to hit the metal guide or the flippers?

It doesn't appear like I can move the wire form much, the screw is at its furthest and there's no way of moving it any where else as the metal ball guide is in the way.

#4060 4 days ago

This might seem really ocd but when the balls are ejected from the reel, where are they supposed to hit? Mine hit the left ball guide and bounce over the flipper, often stdm 3 balls in a row unless I flip wildly!
And sometimes thet jump over the flipper even if you held it up.
Just wondering if they're intended to hit the metal guide or the flippers?
It doesn't appear like I can move the wire form much, the screw is at its furthest and there's no way of moving it any where else as the metal ball guide is in the way.

Mine also would send balls sdtm way too often. It's been a while since I messed with it, but I do remember it was very tight to adjust like you described. I also remember I loosened the ball guide to adjust it, and I also drilled a new screw hole in the playfield for the wireform leg. Through trial and error, mine now feeds the left flipper most of the time. I still get an occasional sdtm though.

#4061 3 days ago

when the balls are ejected from the reel, where are they supposed to hit?

Center or slightly left of the center of the left flipper for me. If I hold the left flipper up, the ball goes up the inlane, but that may depend on the angle the flipper is mounted at.

#4062 3 days ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

Mine also would send balls sdtm way too often. It's been a while since I messed with it, but I do remember it was very tight to adjust like you described. I also remember I loosened the ball guide to adjust it, and I also drilled a new screw hole in the playfield for the wireform leg. Through trial and error, mine now feeds the left flipper most of the time. I still get an occasional sdtm though.

Quoted from Neal_W:

Center or slightly left of the center of the left flipper for me. If I hold the left flipper up, the ball goes up the inlane, but that may depend on the angle the flipper is mounted at.

I thought it should hit the flipper! Hitting the metal guide seems so aggressive
I just can't see how I can adjust it, I'll take a look later and maybe post a photo or two for advice.

#4063 3 days ago

I just can't see how I can adjust it

The support for the end of the ramp is slotted, so you can slide the end of the ramp left/right to aim it.

#4064 3 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The support for the end of the ramp is slotted, so you can slide the end of the ramp left/right to aim it.

Mine has no room to move, it's right up against the ball guide and where the screw is means it doesn't move to the right.
Unless I made a new hole.

If anyone has a photo of theirs Id appreciate it

#4065 3 days ago

I had to make a new hole to move it more to the right.

#4066 3 days ago

Here's mine
IMG-20211125-WA0005 (resized).jpg

Quoted from Neal_W:

I had to make a new hole to move it more to the right.

So how did it come out of the factory and deliver the ball to the left flipper?
I don't understand how we have to make adjustments like that on a game from the 90s

#4067 3 days ago

Gently bend either the mounting tab or take off the wireform and bend the wireform halfway through it's arc. If the tab doesn't do it Id be tweaking the section of the ramp that starts just above where the Long Cast text is. Work slowly to find what you need.

#4068 3 days ago

Mine has no room to move, it's right up against the ball guide and where the screw is means it doesn't move to the right.
If anyone has a photo of theirs Id appreciate it

Move the ball guide to the left too?

LOL, just went and took a pic and realized mine is bent at the ramp exit. Have no idea if this is correct. Looks wonky though. On the plus side it hits dead center in the left flipper. I'm starting to wonder if the design was to feed the Right flipper?
pasted_image (resized).png

#4069 3 days ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

Move the ball guide to the left too?
LOL, just went and took a pic and realized mine is bent at the ramp exit. Have no idea if this is correct. Looks wonky though. On the plus side it hits dead center in the left flipper. I'm starting to wonder if the design was to feed the Right flipper?
[quoted image]

Tried moving the ball guide yesterday, it doesn't have much adjustment, if any, just holes no slots.

Yours is crazy, I don't think it's supposed to be like that

#4070 3 days ago

I made a new hole and moved it further to the right, as far as it would go.

It still hits left of the flipper... I don't understand.

Is there a bend in the wire form I'm missing?
Any ideas at all?
Any comparison shots appreciated

#4071 2 days ago

I get the feeling the ball is falling off the wireform and hitting part of it causing it to spin left..
Could people compare this with theirs?

20211126_045352 (resized).jpg
20211126_045358 (resized).jpg

#4072 2 days ago

The balls hit the base of the left flipper on mine.

A4F918B9-C3D5-4515-8BEF-6ACFFA68E2E4 (resized).jpegCD4353E1-3AA6-4C39-BA55-4D6685BB7C28 (resized).jpeg
#4073 2 days ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

The balls hit the base of the left flipper on mine.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yours is bent to the right a bit, that must be it!

#4074 2 days ago

Here's mine. You can see the old screw hole. However, I was playing last night and getting alot of stdm. Now I'm thinking I should shift it left again.

20211126_100212 (resized).jpg20211126_100222 (resized).jpg
#4075 2 days ago

Manuals and flyer show it straight so mine is obviously wrong and I'll have to start messing with it.

With further digging around I found the promotional video on IPDB (which brings back some memories ) and at 3:38 clearly (well not clearly, it's a copy of a VHS tape) shows the ball going to the left flipper and the output rail appears straight.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/861/Williams_1992_Fish_Tales_Promotional_Sales_Video.wmv

pasted_image (resized).png
#4076 2 days ago

I'm seeing so many variations of the wireforms.
I don't know what else to check, considering it's supposed to be straight and many have no issues.

No idea what to check, it's level so it's not that (I even got a new digital level).

#4077 2 days ago

But if you look at the video the ball get chucked and swings left, it doesn’t come straight out. Mine does that and the part that gets screwed down is bent to the right.

#4078 2 days ago

I'm seeing so many variations of the wireforms.
I don't know what else to check, considering it's supposed to be straight and many have no issues.
No idea what to check, it's level so it's not that (I even got a new digital level).

I'm going to bend mine straight and then start working on bending the wireform to adjust. I'm relatively sure the "push" to the left is due to the longer lower right rail on the wireform. So the ball ends up rolling to the left as it drops.

Quoted from Lostcause:

But if you look at the video the ball get chucked and swings left, it doesn’t come straight out. Mine does that and the part that gets screwed down is bent to the right.

That weird movement is likely due to the position of the camera and the crappy video quality so you don't see when it actually exits the ramp. It makes a sharp left and drops off to the left (because the right leg extends out) because it's falling off of the longer right rail.

#4079 2 days ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

I'm going to bend mine straight and then start working on bending the wireform to adjust. I'm relatively sure the "push" to the left is due to the longer lower right rail on the wireform. So the ball ends up rolling to the left as it drops.

Please share your findings. I even tried making a new hole and moving it as far right as it can go and still no luck!

I do wonder if the lateral position of the wireform has a bigger impact than we realise.
ie, if you bend the bracket holding it

#4080 2 days ago

Here’s what mine looks like. It always goes to the middle of the left flipper and up the inlane if I hold it up. If I leave it down and let the ball hit the flipper it usually goes SDTM on one bounce. So I have to try to catch the ball or simply hit the ball to avoid that. I always thought the wireform looks like it was designed to go to the right flipper.

B6099587-68DD-4298-8A17-F996FC7A74DA (resized).jpeg
#4081 2 days ago

Check all of the fasteners for the wireform. I have had upper screws loosen up and mess with my delivery to the Left Flipper.

When properly adjusted, mine feed the left flipper. Flipper up and it rolls up the inlane. Flipper down and it dead flips to the right flipper.

Still. Maybe 1/20 goes SDTM on feeds.

#4082 2 days ago

So, I bent the wireform leg a little straighter, and I'm still using the new hole I tapped. And now every ball is hitting the left flipper. I guess it's just a matter of tinkering with it until you get it right on your particular machine. Here's new pics. Hope they help.

20211126_101357 (resized).jpg20211126_101409 (resized).jpg20211126_101428 (resized).jpg
#4083 2 days ago
Quoted from guitarded:

When properly adjusted, mine feed the left flipper. Flipper up and it rolls up the inlane. Flipper down and it dead flips to the right flipper.
Still. Maybe 1/20 goes SDTM on feeds.

This is what I'm expecting based on proper adjustment.

#4084 2 days ago

Here is mine and it works great all the time.

thumbnail-11 (resized).jpg
#4085 2 days ago

Here's is mine:

Oops, forgot I don't own one...yet

#4086 2 days ago

Also it depends how fast it is shooting out, I tried at different speeds. The faster it comes out the more to the left it goes.
So there will be differences between machines and if your incoming voltage, mine is running 244 when should be 230 so a bit more power..

#4087 2 days ago

That weird movement is likely due to the position of the camera and the crappy video quality so you don't see when it actually exits the ramp. It makes a sharp left and drops off to the left (because the right leg extends out) because it's falling off of the longer right rail.

It definitely looked like it was coming out to the left more like mine.

#4088 2 days ago

Ok, went down into the game dungeon and I've got mine adjusted where I want it. Few notes before I start:

Where I want it - ball exiting ramp hits the flipper about 1/3 of the way down from the pivot point. It bounces back up into play if the flipper is down. If the flipper is up it will go up the in-lane. Seems very consistent.

1 - To test your adjustment, simply feed balls into the catapult directly buy lifting up the cover plastic in the lower right at the fishing lure which sits just below the reel. You only need to lift it up about 3/8" and the ball will slip under and drop into the catapult. When the game sees it in there it will launch it.
2 - Feed balls into the catapult in attract mode if you just want to see how they land on the flipper.
3 - Hold the flipper up with your fingers to see how it reacts that way.
4 - If you start a game you can obviously use the button to hold up the flipper but the ball search and whatnot can be distracting. Test mode will not fire the catapult with a ball in. Coil test doesn't work either as it's a short pulse and simply puts the ball into the bottom of the plastic. OUCH!
5 - I only needed to pull off the plastic over the adjustment screw and remove the adjustment screw to lift the ramp and bend it with my hands and pliers.

My ramp was bent 6 ways from Sunday so I basically had to bend everything in some fashion. I "restored" it to the way I believe it appears in the manual and on various WMS published things (like the flyer). The result didn't take me too long to get to and it seems to work very well. I had no issues with SDTM. Only long term testing in game play will be the true test but I played multiball with the glass off several times and just hand fed the balls into the reel. Here's the corrections I made.

1 - The longer lower right ramp rail was bent to come straight off the ramp when looked at head on.
2 - It was also bent so that it would be parallel to the playfield when installed. (easy way - eyeball to the top of the right loop ball guide)
3 - support bracket off of the lower right rail is bent at 90 deg angles to form the "Z"ish form.
4 - support bracket foot should end up sitting "flat" on the PF without screw tension.
5 - alignment of the ramp when looking overhead is such that it essentially follows the contour of the right/long cast loop ball guide.

Here's some pics of the completed product.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There are 4,088 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 82.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside