3ff3af1335f3cf0ab4ddec7bc6e817774e6da3b5 (resized).jpg
20240121_211414 (resized).jpg
20240121_211552 (resized).jpg
11EF16A9-2338-419E-A5AA-B9FDAD58FFAB (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240112-134747 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112-134707 (resized).png
Screenshot_20231119-093031 (resized).png
Pinside_forum_6750613_2738161 (resized).jpg

There are 5,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 112.
#3551 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I notice that ball savers *really* confuse the heck out of non players

LOL or scare the crap outta them

1 week later
#3552 3 years ago

Hi all. whats the going price range for a complete topper assembly in vgc?

#3553 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi all. whats the going price range for a complete topper assembly in vgc?

There was one on eBay for $800.

Not sure if it sold. Check with the seller. Mike D is good people.

ebay.com link: Original Williams Fish Tales Pinball Machine Topper Tested Working tails

#3554 3 years ago

Here’s a guide to build your own brand new fish tales topper for $300 and a bit of sweat equity. All the details are included. No need to spend $800 on a busted topper without the $115 dome!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-build-fish-tales-topper-from-scratch

025BEB6D-2D40-40E2-888C-C9F5DAC8E56E (resized).jpeg025BEB6D-2D40-40E2-888C-C9F5DAC8E56E (resized).jpeg9CD215ED-96AE-4D54-8CE3-CF81EC9FB360 (resized).jpeg9CD215ED-96AE-4D54-8CE3-CF81EC9FB360 (resized).jpeg
#3555 3 years ago

Actually, that topper on eBay is listed for almost $1,000 without the acrylic dome topper. The dome topper is the most expensive replacement part at $115 plus $35 shipping from starship fantasy or planetary pinball.

If anyone is silly enough to spend $1,150 on a topper, I’ll take $900 and ship you a brand new one. LOL!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/108982

#3556 3 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Here’s a guide to build your own

Looks great with the fishing lure. Need to paint a black circle in the fish's eye.

Those domes were $70, not that long ago. Pinflation!

#3557 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallKid:

OK so…
I have had my FT for almost 3 years now. I really like the table. Always have, since the days of playing it in bars on route. I got mine from a guy that worked for an operator. He took it when the place closed down in the early 2000s and it was just sitting in the garage. He sold it to me for 1,200. Pretty great deal, I think.
I have always had this game set on 3 ball. I am a purist, after all. The majority of my pinball friends DO NOT like the table. They find it hard to master and too quick to drain. I have been thinking of moving it to 5 ball for the sake of others. Yes, I know I can change it whenever I want. Yes, I know that I don’t need anyone’s permission. I just love hearing people’s opinions about this stuff.
For me, Fish Tales is a ton of fun BECAUSE it is challenging. At the same time, it is really hard to play it casually and put up good scores if you are not a really good player. Even the multiball is brutal and often ends with very little to show for all the chaos. I usually play for the mini modes (captive ball)/multiball when I play and I have very good success this way. Boat Ramps are fun and Monster Fish is always a nice grab. I’m just wondering if anyone else tends to try to set this easier for guests.
Cheers,
Tim in Motown
PS – Hey Bob, look – Water Skiers!

What flippers do you have installed, lightning or regular?

#3558 3 years ago

Thanks for the responses and great work on the remake there Riefpeters!
I think.400- 450oz to my friend is good for both of us for the complete setup.

#3559 3 years ago

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what might be going on with the sound on my FT. I recently replaced the original bulbs with LEDs and everything seemed fine. Last night I did the last bulbs (Comet Pinball's pop bumper LEDs). After putting them in, when I was playing it the sound kept fading in an out (I think just the music really). It wouldn't just stop entirely, but would get quieter and quieter, then go back up a bit.

Any idea what the problem might be?

#3560 3 years ago
Quoted from tbaum:

I was playing it the sound kept fading in an out (I think just the music really). It wouldn't just stop entirely, but would get quieter and quieter, then go back up a bit.

I doubt it is related to LEDs. A common issue is poor ribbon cable connections in the back box causing misc. issues in WPC pins. Reseat the big ribbon cables in the back box and see if that improves it. Like all cables, be careful to get the cable pugged in centered, not off by 1 row of pins!

#3561 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I doubt it is related to LEDs. A common issue is poor ribbon cable connections in the back box causing misc. issues in WPC pins. Reseat the big ribbon cables in the back box and see if that improves it. Like all cables, be careful to get the cable pugged in centered, not off by 1 row of pins!

Great - I'll try that tonight. I was worried there might be a short or something.

#3562 3 years ago

I’ve a few weird problems lately with my FT, this probably needs its own thread but just incase anyone else has had similar problems with theirs

First up:
Recently the reel has been acting up, on doing a test both optos always test as closed, I can see the IR lit up with a camera.
Unplugging these from the opto board I would expect should trigger them to be open which leads me to believe a short somewhere on a board? All other switches in the matrix test good

Next:
The resistors on the flipper optos are scalding hot, all the time, even when not in use, they are burnt but actually still work fine, the 12v on both these opto boards is reading at 15v for some reason

Lastly:
There is an ever so slight static present, not noticed on gameplay but when machine is idle it’s there, I’ve recapped entire audio board, replaced ribbon cable, reflowed header pins on all boards, tested all speakers, cracked boards are all tight and well grounded, reburnt both roms, replaced the following just because I’ve a spare sound board here that’s broken so had the chips handy.
u9(RAM),u10(YM2151),u11(ym3012),u13(cpu), occasionally the sound will completely drop, when the ball is drained 9times out of the 10 it comes back.

Added over 3 years ago:

Reel issue now sorted, was actually just a bad ground to that connector, I’ll have to trace that wire and see what happened it, yesterday I was using the cabinet braid as a ground when testing the 12v and I thought it was fine but today when I used the ground on the connector I was only getting 1.2-2v

1 week later
#3563 3 years ago

Hi all - on the hunt for a fish tales shooter gauge /plate thingy. I was having mine powdercoated with a bunch of other parts and the coater lost it. *tears*

Does anyone have a spare lying about, gathering dust? The pinball gods love a part finder!

#3564 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Hi all - on the hunt for a fish tales shooter gauge /plate thingy. I was having mine powdercoated with a bunch of other parts and the coater lost it. *tears*
Does anyone have a spare lying about, gathering dust? The pinball gods love a part finder!

if you can't find an old one there's this option....

https://www.pinballlife.com/fish-tales-fishing-reel-handle-assembly.html

#3565 3 years ago

Thanks - but I'm after the shooter gauge.

This:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Fish tales is a strange one because unlike most games, this isn't a gauge, ie, no hole cutout. Which makes it difficult to replace with a gauge from another machine.

#3566 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

This:
[quoted image]
Fish tales is a strange one because unlike most games, this isn't a gauge, ie, no hole cutout. Which makes it difficult to replace with a gauge from another machine.

Aah yes, misread your request. Just FYI you can also search for a getaway shooter gauge as they are the same

#3567 3 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

This:
[quoted image]

Found this .
Hope it helps .
https://picclick.com/Williams-Fish-Tales-Pinball-Machine-Shooter-Apron-Decal-291713009091.html

Edit - if you had it powder coated you wouldn't need the decal you would already have one .
I had a look through the manual and couldn't find the part number , I couldn't even find the part number for the apron .

#3568 3 years ago
Quoted from bbriese:

Aah yes, misread your request. Just FYI you can also search for a getaway shooter gauge as they are the same

Ah brilliant, that's a good tip thanks.

Quoted from screaminr:

Found this .
Hope it helps .
https://picclick.com/Williams-Fish-Tales-Pinball-Machine-Shooter-Apron-Decal-291713009091.html
Edit - if you had it powder coated you wouldn't need the decal you would already have one .
I had a look through the manual and couldn't find the part number , I couldn't even find the part number for the apron .

Yep got the decal thanks. Just the bracket itself is needed.

Off the search for getaway shooter gauges!

#3569 3 years ago

You could put the decal on some magnet paper like magnet apron decals and stick it right on top one the parts with the hole in it. The hole wouldn’t show at all.

#3570 3 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

You could put the decal on some magnet paper like magnet apron decals and stick it right on top one the parts with the hole in it. The hole wouldn’t show at all.

Yeah good idea. Certainly some solution along these lines might be the way to go if one doesn't show up!

#3571 3 years ago

Just had some machine work done to get my game up and running (kudos to Rich Corbo)

This was installed on the bottom of the cabinet.
Any idea what this used to do? Maybe something for overseas models?

A7220549-2C47-416B-AEEA-D649513F7063 (resized).jpegA7220549-2C47-416B-AEEA-D649513F7063 (resized).jpegAEF6382C-99AC-4F13-BAF2-89C71F0AEFEC (resized).jpegAEF6382C-99AC-4F13-BAF2-89C71F0AEFEC (resized).jpeg
#3572 3 years ago

DMD is showing dots and some distortion when text scrolls.

Swapping DMD’s has same problem. All ribbon cables replaced and problem still exists

Any ideas?

#3573 3 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

What flippers do you have installed, lightning or regular?

Lightning flippers. Wouldn't have it any other way!

#3574 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Any idea what this used to do? Maybe something for overseas models?

"Drucker" is German for "printer". Operators can connect a printer to WPC pins for printing the audits. That appears to be an old Centronics parallel printer connector on the flat board.

#3575 3 years ago

Here are pictures of the dots and distortion

4E2BC73F-91C0-4EF6-80F0-ACACFF1D00B9 (resized).jpeg4E2BC73F-91C0-4EF6-80F0-ACACFF1D00B9 (resized).jpeg9C250EAA-A60B-4DB6-B6D6-CD0A6B1993EA (resized).png9C250EAA-A60B-4DB6-B6D6-CD0A6B1993EA (resized).png
#3576 3 years ago

Pictures of dots and distortion

7FDDF424-E871-4E1E-8594-DCB5B4D93F81 (resized).jpeg7FDDF424-E871-4E1E-8594-DCB5B4D93F81 (resized).jpegAB1AF431-4199-4453-9464-26E6018D1452 (resized).jpegAB1AF431-4199-4453-9464-26E6018D1452 (resized).jpeg
#3577 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Pictures of dots and distortion

Normally when i see something like this on a dmd i would suspect the data cable first and foremost but you mention you have replaced the data cable/s (with new ones??) and specifically the one between the dmd and the display board? Next up i would suspect the dmd itself but it doesn't look like the usual line out scenario you would expect with a dmd on it's way out. Is there any rust on the legs of the game rom chip or corruption in the socket? Seems that if the dmd and the data cables are both fine then i can't think of anything else that would cause this issue other than corrupt game rom or some kind of issue with the display board perhaps??

#3578 3 years ago

Give the socketed items in this pic a good tap to see if it helps your DMD. I had a similar issue on CFTBL(albeit with color DMD) and it’s good as new.

0A3097FB-6B9C-4770-9BC9-603D8F1B41AE (resized).jpeg0A3097FB-6B9C-4770-9BC9-603D8F1B41AE (resized).jpeg
#3579 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Normally when i see something like this on a dmd i would suspect the data cable first and foremost but you mention you have replaced the data cable/s (with new ones??) and specifically the one between the dmd and the display board? Next up i would suspect the dmd itself but it doesn't look like the usual line out scenario you would expect with a dmd on it's way out. Is there any rust on the legs of the game rom chip or corruption in the socket? Seems that if the dmd and the data cables are both fine then i can't think of anything else that would cause this issue other than corrupt game rom or some kind of issue with the display board perhaps??

All new ribbon cables. I’ll have to take a look at the game rom chip and give it a good tap

#3580 3 years ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

Give the socketed items in this pic a good tap to see if it helps your DMD. I had a similar issue on CFTBL(albeit with color DMD) and it’s good as new.
[quoted image]

Stupid question, but should they be tapped with the game on?

#3581 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Stupid question, but should they be tapped with the game on?

Game off.

I would push on them to make sure they are seated. If you don’t care about high score or audits. I’d pop the socketed chips and reseat them. It sure looks like a data issue. I would not take out the square chip only push on that one.

#3582 3 years ago

I removed and reseated both chips circled in yellow. Same dots and distortion. So I guess a new game ROM is in order?

I’m a bit confused on all the different rom versions. Would this suffice?
ebay.com link: itm EPROM/232367693910?hash=item361a31a056:g:lIkAAOSwaeRZNzoL

Or can someone recommend a reputable source?

My machine has NVRAM and the DMD problem existed with the old batteries

3440FC52-7C2B-42AE-B7FC-42A31FB01D99 (resized).jpeg3440FC52-7C2B-42AE-B7FC-42A31FB01D99 (resized).jpeg

#3583 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I removed and reseated both chips circled in yellow. Same dots and distortion. So I guess a new game ROM is in order?
I’m a bit confused on all the different rom versions. Would this suffice?
ebay.com link EPROM/232367693910?hash=item361a31a056:g:lIkAAOSwaeRZNzoL
Or can someone recommend a reputable source?
My machine has NVRAM and the DMD problem existed with the old batteries
[quoted image]

MAtts basement good for roms.

Any board damage? Regarding the distortion

#3584 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

MAtts basement good for roms.
Any board damage? Regarding the distortion

No board damage. Boards serviced by Chris hibler.

I’ll order a replacement ROM and see if that fixes the issue

I see very little about the D-6 rom version installed on the board

#3585 3 years ago

Get the Fish Tales rom with the led patch added. I got my roms from PINBALLROM.COM

#3586 3 years ago

It's not the ROM or the machine would tell you there's a crc error with the ROM when booting up.

ROM D-6 has the "extra ball" text fixed and the led ghosting patch applied.

#3587 3 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

It's not the ROM or the machine would tell you there's a crc error with the ROM when booting up.
ROM D-6 has the "extra ball" text fixed and the led ghosting patch applied.

Is the led patch as effective as ledocd, or it's just non ghosting? I have ledocd in my fishtales, thinking I could throw this rom in and use the ledocd on a different game?

#3588 3 years ago

LED OCD is a bit different than a ghosting patch. The ghosting patch does only this, prevent ghosting on the LEDs caused by an older method of turning on the lights. The LED OCD will actually allow the game to properly dim the LEDs, but also has the added benefit that it doesn't ghost the LEDs because it drives them properly. Fish tales very rarely has moments when it dims the lights, so few that I couldn't point you out when it actually happens except after a ball drops or the game ends, and even then it's very subtle. You can however test the dimming in the settings and you'll clearly see a difference where with the OCD, the LEDs actually do dim and without, they flicker like crazy but never dim. It might be of better use in another machine that dims more intensively like twilight zone, but I'm guessing if you have such a machine, the flickering will already have bothered you, and you probably added a OCD already.

If the OCD upgrade was done to cancel out led ghosting, then it could be used on another machine. It is always a good idea to apply the non ghosting patch to the games affected because it removes a spike caused by the bug that creates a large unnecessary power draw every time it ghosts the LEDs.

You can read more about that here : https://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/

#3589 3 years ago

Replaced existing ROM D-6 with a new one.
Dots and distortion still exists. It was worth a try.

I noticed that my Hot shots basketball had a rottendog dmd board installed. I swapped it into the Fish Tales and the dots and distortion were gone.

I’ll either get the board repaired or buy a new replacement.

#3590 3 years ago

The rightmost pop bumper light keeps going in and out. I took the cap off and slightly moved the socket from side to side and the light keeps going in and out. The light also will also sometimes go in and out during gameplay when it’s bumper is hit.

Any ideas on how I can make it a bit more stable without having to replace the socket entirely?

#3591 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Any ideas on how I can make it a bit more stable without having to replace the socket entirely?

Check the leads under the PF. Might have a staple that loosened and is allowing an occasional short? Had this happen on my Paragon last year.

#3592 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

The rightmost pop bumper light keeps going in and out. I took the cap off and slightly moved the socket from side to side and the light keeps going in and out. The light also will also sometimes go in and out during gameplay when it’s bumper is hit.

Sometimes just a different lamp can help.
Are these the #555 black socket type holder ?....I can't remember. If so try pinching the metal contact tabs together with small pliers. Can sometimes help.

#3593 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I noticed that my Hot shots basketball had a rottendog dmd board installed. I swapped it into the Fish Tales and the dots and distortion were gone.

If you can swing it, go with a colordmd. It's fantastic in this machine.

#3594 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

If you can swing it, go with a colordmd. It's fantastic in this machine.

So much this.

#3595 3 years ago

While you have it apart..... This illuminated speaker panel looks pretty cool

IMG_20200529_125021956 (resized).jpgIMG_20200529_125021956 (resized).jpg
#3596 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

While you have it apart..... This illuminated speaker panel looks pretty cool
[quoted image]

It looks very nice, but I cannot justify $400 for color,

Plus, I like to keep the machine as close to factory original as possible

#3597 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

It looks very nice, but I cannot justify $400 for color.
Plus, I like to keep the machine as close to factory original as possible

#3598 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Hot Shots (Premier/Gotleib) from 89' or Hot Shotz (Bally/Midway) 85'?? either way how was that board compatible?? I must be missing something here sorry

#3599 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Hot Shots (Premier/Gotleib) from 89' or Hot Shotz (Bally/Midway) 85'?? either way how was that board compatible?? I must be missing something here sorry

Hot shot basketball (1994)

#3600 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Hot shot basketball (1994)

No idea why but can't find that on the IPDB, alternative name for another machine?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Herndon, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Hardware
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus
Playfields
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 26.50
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club/page/72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.