AB229691-BD43-4C7C-9295-FA8AEF787ECC (resized).jpeg
35BCE605-3677-459D-B188-C709AAB0FCA7 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20220121-225121 (resized).png
7BC47792-DA99-4980-BA66-FDABD55027F5 (resized).jpeg
20210910_222145 (resized).jpg
AB4589F6-DE75-41AB-8454-F92A6A896CA7 (resized).jpeg
DFD2D065-0B65-4EBB-AD7B-D4DFF8C95DBD (resized).jpeg
5BC2B29A-F0B9-49A4-B230-9A577A40E5A3 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 87.
#3501 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

LED Pics :
Repop Translite. The Engine is a bit too red on this one, so I did not highlight it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Repop?

#3502 1 year ago

Non-Original / Reproduction

#3503 1 year ago

Ok...more on the topper. I’ve seen several people have made a topper and a few resources exist; but it sure would be nice if all the topperless FT owners had a complete resource to either make their own topper including a cost estimate (which I think is about $300) - or would have the ability to just buy the board wired up with the lamps and coils and wiring harness so one could simply just buy the fish and dome and be done!! Right?!?? Of course, if we can get brand new toppers going for $300-400; it sure would kill the overpriced secondary market for toppers...eh?

So let’s do it. I’m starting my topper now. I’ve got everything ordered and I’m just a little north of $300 with shipping costs. I’ll probably take a few liberties with minor mods to make production easy for everyone, but it’ll still be good!!

REQUEST: can someone provide the measurements of the board? Feel free to take 360* pics of the topper and post. I wish I had one to touch and see, but I don’t. I mean, I could just roll with it as long as the board fits under the topper and the fish fits on the board...but trying to be true on this part.

PUBLIC SERVICE: if you want a board wired and coiled made up ready to rock and roll - Let me know. The raw costs of the board components are probably about $100, but I’ll summarize everything when I’m done on costs. But if I know people want these I may be able to print extra vinyl screens for the back and what not.

#3504 1 year ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Ok...more on the topper. I’ve seen several people have made a topper and a few resources exist; but it sure would be nice if all the topperless FT owners had a complete resource to either make their own topper including a cost estimate (which I think is about $300) - or would have the ability to just buy the board wired up with the lamps and coils and wiring harness so one could simply just buy the fish and dome and be done!! Right?!?? Of course, if we can get brand new toppers going for $300-400; it sure would kill the overpriced secondary market for toppers...eh?
So let’s do it. I’m starting my topper now. I’ve got everything ordered and I’m just a little north of $300 with shipping costs. I’ll probably take a few liberties with minor mods to make production easy for everyone, but it’ll still be good!!
REQUEST: can someone provide the measurements of the board? Feel free to take 360* pics of the topper and post. I wish I had one to touch and see, but I don’t. I mean, I could just roll with it as long as the board fits under the topper and the fish fits on the board...but trying to be true on this part.
PUBLIC SERVICE: if you want a board wired and coiled made up ready to rock and roll - Let me know. The raw costs of the board components are probably about $100, but I’ll summarize everything when I’m done on costs. But if I know people want these I may be able to print extra vinyl screens for the back and what not.

I'm not at home to take a pic now. BUT I GUARANTEE if you look back in this thread, also, use the image gallery and go throguh the pics, the exact measurements and thickness of wood, etc is in here, very detailed

#3506 1 year ago

Nice northerndude. Nice. Thank you.

#3507 1 year ago

Has anybody come across this before?
Suddenly my musik plays at much faster rate and lamps blink at faster rate. When I press start button back to normal and then is suddenly speeds up again.

#3508 1 year ago

Hello, I've recently purchased a Fish Tales and have a couple of missing plastics to buy.

Overall I'm very happy so far with the machine, it seems I will mostly need to do cosmetic improvements (fingers crossed !) so I may have further questions down the road....

While I was looking for plastics, I noticed that apparently some plastics were made to put on the top boat plastic ramp (cf picture), but it looks like a customized addition to the original look.

Would anyone have an idea where I could find these ?
I had a look at a number of shops who only have regular plastics in stock.
Thanks a lot !

774B5E76-2D85-40E2-9010-D164655EF8EA (resized).png
#3509 1 year ago
Quoted from firebrand007:

Hello, I've recently purchased a Fish Tales and have a couple of missing plastics to buy.
Overall I'm very happy so far with the machine, it seems I will mostly need to do cosmetic improvements (fingers crossed !) so I may have further questions down the road....
While I was looking for plastics, I noticed that apparently some plastics were made to put on the top boat plastic ramp (cf picture), but it looks like a customized addition to the original look.
Would anyone have an idea where I could find these ?
I had a look at a number of shops who only have regular plastics in stock.
Thanks a lot !
[quoted image]

https://treasurecovepinball.com/Library/decals/fish-tales/fish-tales.htm

#3510 1 year ago

Awesome !! Thanks a lot jtaudio !

#3511 1 year ago

apparently some plastics were made to put on the top boat plastic ramp (cf picture), but it looks like a customized addition to the original look.

Those are decals that go on the clear plastic guards that keep the ball from jumping off the boat ramp. Many think the decals block the view of the upper playfield and leave the guards clear like original.

If those clear plastic guards look bad like mine did, the replacements are cheap and make things look much better:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-CP-FT-RM

#3512 1 year ago

Anyone have this used plastic and clear ball deflector? There are a couple on ebay but thought I would check here first. Thanks

20210103_172345 (resized).jpg
#3513 1 year ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Anyone have this used plastic and clear ball deflector? There are a couple on ebay but thought I would check here first. Thanks
[quoted image]

Is there a problem with the big plastic? I have both of them if needed.

#3514 1 year ago

Thanks Neal_W for the additional details - the clear plastic protectors should come in handy indeed, I've added that to my shopping list

For the 2 missing plastics I am buying, I haven't been able to find out which references of screws (and any other small parts needed) I should get to attach them... could someone please point me towards that ?

It's for the "casters club" and the small wave (#12, right side of the boat) but I would like to also buy new screws for the ramp boat and some other plastics which are worn out.
Thanks !

#3515 1 year ago

While I'm at it (sorry for double posting, seems I can't edit my post after 1h)... I was wondering about these visible lines on my fish tales, on rectangular areas which I know are usually prone to damage such as the fish inserts (cf photo) : is it some sort of Mylar protection has been put in place ? Or could it be a sticker that has been put to cover a damaged area ? What would you recommend doing about it ? just leave it as is ?

8C900494-8B53-477D-9A87-9AB35149A789 (resized).jpeg
#3516 1 year ago

While I'm at it (sorry for double posting, seems I can't edit my post after 1h)... I was wondering about these visible lines on my fish tales, on rectangular areas which I know are usually prone to damage such as the fish inserts (cf photo) : is it some sort of Mylar protection has been put in place ? Or could it be a sticker that has been put to cover a damaged area ? What would you recommend doing about it ? just leave it as is ?[quoted image]

Hard to tell from that pic but looks like the black borders on the ´tale told`inserts were repainted and mylared over the whole fish area.
If it was repainted I would not remove the mylar

#3517 1 year ago
Quoted from harig:

Hard to tell from that pic but looks like the black borders on the ´tale told`inserts were repainted and mylared over the whole fish area.
If it was repainted I would not remove the mylar

There used to be a decal sold that was basically new graphics for that area like the TAF mansion overlay mylar decal. Could be that, as well. I agree on leaving it alone. Looks like it is still sold.

ebay.com link: i

#3518 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

There used to be a decal sold that was basically new graphics for that area like the TAF mansion overlay mylar decal. Could be that, as well. I agree on leaving it alone. Looks like it is still sold.
ebay.com link

I used one of these when I cleared my FT 2 years ago. Found mine in EU, like a planetary pinball or something like that. I'd give them a B+ rating, not awesome but good enough.

#3519 1 year ago

I was wondering about these visible lines on my fish tales, on rectangular areas which I know are usually prone to damage such as the fish inserts

You can google "fish tales playfield decal" to see examples of the decals, which are not square. That square in the center of the playfield appears to be mylar protection for the fish inserts which is a common wear spot like the tacklebox. You can polish and wax mylar using similar methods as the clearcoated playfield, such as novus and carnuba wax.

#3520 1 year ago

Good to know, thanks ! I'll leave it as is then and will soon do a first attempt at polishing and waxing the play field with Novus 2 and 1 grand blitz wax

#3521 1 year ago

Question about flippers.

The fish tales I bought has the standard flippers which is what came from the factory. Some say the standard flippers make the game too easy.

From what I’ve read, a European distributor convinced Williams to use shorter flippers which some say makes the game harder.

I try to keep everything as original as possible, so I guess leave the standard flippers alone?

#3522 1 year ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Question about flippers.
The fish tales I bought has the standard flippers which is what came from the factory. Some say the standard flippers make the game too easy.
From what I’ve read, a European distributor convinced Williams to use shorter flippers which some say makes the game harder.
I try to keep everything as original as possible, so I guess leave the standard flippers alone?

Fishtales just clicks and feels so much better with lightning flippers.id never put standard on mine.

#3523 1 year ago

What ^^^^^he said.

#3524 1 year ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Question about flippers.

I've had three FT machines. The first two had standard flippers from the start. The current one had lighting flippers for the three years that I've had it until last month when I switched them to the slightly longer standard ones. Really, I don't feel there is much difference in play, just fewer center drains and I can backhand shots on either one a little easier.

Unless you're a competition level player (I'm not), I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference in power or gameplay.

#3525 1 year ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Question about flippers.

My understanding was that lightning flippers were original on Fish Tales, not standard size.

#3526 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

My understanding was that lightning flippers were original on Fish Tales, not standard size.

By "standard" I mean standard for a W/B machine of that era. The lighting flippers were used in order to collect more coins due to the wider center drain they create. Since mine is home use, I see no reason to outfit the game as if it's on route and to quicken the game play. I'm fine with a center gap that is similar to my other W/B pins.

That's just my opinion though, and I can see the merits of either set-up. If you want to keep it in it's "stock" state that's up to you of course, and that's why I left my lightening flippers on as long as I did.

Why not try each and see what you prefer?

#3527 1 year ago

Lightning Flippers here. Never played or seen a FT without them.

#3528 1 year ago

I have a replacement fish dome and I was able to salvage the foil sheet from the old dome.

Can anyone recommend the best adhesive to reinstall? Rubber cement, Super Glue???

#3529 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

I checked the manual and it states flippers are standard (non-lightning)

#3530 1 year ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I checked the manual and it states flippers are standard (non-lightning)

Lightening flippers were installed on Fish Tales and Bram Stoker Dracula, to shorten ball times to help op's earnings.

Manuals weren't changed.

LTG : )

#3531 1 year ago

Also when you play licensed virtual pinballs, the licensed table uses lightning flippers with RED rubbers. You can see the lightning. I would assume tournaments make sure their Fish Tales use lightning flippers. I would rather get good playing with lightning flippers and if I see a Fish Tales in the wild with standard flippers it will only be easier.

I took a screenshot from both pinball arcade and Williams pinball on Android, both have lightning.

Quoted from Cmjb13:

I have a replacement fish dome and I was able to salvage the foil sheet from the old dome.
Can anyone recommend the best adhesive to reinstall? Rubber cement, Super Glue???

I used a glue stick when I moved my foil.
Screenshot_20210110-203824_Pinball Arcade.jpgScreenshot_20210110-204320_Williams Pinball.jpg

#3533 1 year ago

And also apparently Black Rose although there seems to be some debate on that one.

#3534 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

And also apparently Black Rose although there seems to be some debate on that one.

WH20 sometimes pops up in the debate too

#3535 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Lightening flippers were installed on Fish Tales and Bram Stoker Dracula, to shorten ball times to help op's earnings.
Manuals weren't changed.
LTG : )

From what I’ve read in old threads, the game was designed with standard flippers, converted to lightning before or slightly after rollout based on a op request, but went back to standard because people hated them.

#3536 1 year ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

From what I’ve read in old threads, the game was designed with standard flippers, converted to lightning before or slightly after rollout based on a op request, but went back to standard because people hated them.

Hopefully this covid business is over relatively soon. You are so close, and welcome to come play mine. It's all dialed in and I think you'll agree it plays just right with lightning flippers.

#3537 1 year ago

Lightnings on fish tales and BSD for sure...they just okay better that way!

But seriously team, has anyone found a source for a replacement DECAL for the FISH EYE in the topper?

I just finished assembling a topper from scratch and don’t yet have the eye in there...

#3538 1 year ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Lightnings on fish tales and BSD for sure...they just okay better that way!
But seriously team, has anyone found a source for a replacement DECAL for the FISH EYE in the topper?
I just finished assembling a topper from scratch and don’t yet have the eye in there...

Taxidermist??

#3539 1 year ago

OK so…

I have had my FT for almost 3 years now. I really like the table. Always have, since the days of playing it in bars on route. I got mine from a guy that worked for an operator. He took it when the place closed down in the early 2000s and it was just sitting in the garage. He sold it to me for 1,200. Pretty great deal, I think.

I have always had this game set on 3 ball. I am a purist, after all. The majority of my pinball friends DO NOT like the table. They find it hard to master and too quick to drain. I have been thinking of moving it to 5 ball for the sake of others. Yes, I know I can change it whenever I want. Yes, I know that I don’t need anyone’s permission. I just love hearing people’s opinions about this stuff.

For me, Fish Tales is a ton of fun BECAUSE it is challenging. At the same time, it is really hard to play it casually and put up good scores if you are not a really good player. Even the multiball is brutal and often ends with very little to show for all the chaos. I usually play for the mini modes (captive ball)/multiball when I play and I have very good success this way. Boat Ramps are fun and Monster Fish is always a nice grab. I’m just wondering if anyone else tends to try to set this easier for guests.

Cheers,

Tim in Motown

PS – Hey Bob, look – Water Skiers!

#3540 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverBallKid:

I’m just wondering if anyone else tends to try to set this easier for guests.

I usually have all my machines set on 5 ball for guests only as most of my mates aren't really pinheads. This is particularly the case for a deep rule set game like Iron Maiden as most 'newbies' get frustrated and don't enjoy it as much with 3 balls.

#3541 1 year ago

Never gone to 5 ball...but I will open up the Caster's Club for guests that aren't Pinheads.

#3542 1 year ago

I’m just wondering if anyone else tends to try to set this easier for guests.

One thing I do is turn off extra balls. That way, when playing with friends, they don't get bored while I play my extras. (it also helps me plan for tourney strategy)

To make it generally easier, you could install super bands on the flippers and there will be less bounce, more control, and more power. You can also close the up the outlane posts to the lowest setting.

#3543 1 year ago

OK so…
I have had my FT for almost 3 years now. I really like the table. Always have, since the days of playing it in bars on route. I got mine from a guy that worked for an operator. He took it when the place closed down in the early 2000s and it was just sitting in the garage. He sold it to me for 1,200. Pretty great deal, I think.
I have always had this game set on 3 ball. I am a purist, after all. The majority of my pinball friends DO NOT like the table. They find it hard to master and too quick to drain. I have been thinking of moving it to 5 ball for the sake of others. Yes, I know I can change it whenever I want. Yes, I know that I don’t need anyone’s permission. I just love hearing people’s opinions about this stuff.
For me, Fish Tales is a ton of fun BECAUSE it is challenging. At the same time, it is really hard to play it casually and put up good scores if you are not a really good player. Even the multiball is brutal and often ends with very little to show for all the chaos. I usually play for the mini modes (captive ball)/multiball when I play and I have very good success this way. Boat Ramps are fun and Monster Fish is always a nice grab. I’m just wondering if anyone else tends to try to set this easier for guests.
Cheers,
Tim in Motown

I still say FT is one of the tougher multiballs out there .... I'm a fair player but I rarely get to the Super Jackpots , and many many multiballs end without hitting 1 Jackpot ! It's all part of the fun ...cos when you do hit some

#3544 1 year ago
Quoted from Ive:

I still say FT is one of the tougher multiballs out there .... I'm a fair player but I rarely get to the Super Jackpots , and many many multiballs end without hitting 1 Jackpot ! It's all part of the fun ...cos when you do hit some

Very satisfying when you finally hear SUPER JACKPOT! Only to be followed by a drain directly in the center .

#3545 1 year ago

I'm completely trash in FT multi ball, I panic, cant make one shot and they all drain instantly.

#3546 1 year ago

Super Jackpot is pretty satisfying because it’s so hard to get. Heck even regular Jackpot feels pretty sweet.

#3547 1 year ago

OK so…
Cheers,
Tim in Motown

I don't put my games on 5 ball for guests.... Just like I don't give guests an extra horseshoe, or extra aces in a poker game

#3548 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I'm completely trash in FT multi ball, I panic, cant make one shot and they all drain instantly.

seems you are talking about me

#3549 1 year ago

I have been thinking of moving it to 5 ball for the sake of others.

LOL , when I read in the manual you could make it a five ball game , I thought sweet and put in another two balls , of course it didn't work

#3550 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I usually have all my machines set on 5 ball for guests only as most of my mates aren't really pinheads. This is particularly the case for a deep rule set game like Iron Maiden as most 'newbies' get frustrated and don't enjoy it as much with 3 balls.

I find my non pinhead guests have difficulty enough getting their heads around 3 balls per game ..... I notice that ball savers *really* confuse the heck out of non players

There are 4,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 87.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside