Screenshot_20240410-104039 (resized).png
20240406_211505 (resized).jpg
IMG_0804 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4496 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4493 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,587 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 112.
#3451 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Or take it off and hang on to it. In case you ever sell the machine, or move the pins somewhere with a higher ceiling.

Yeah, I’d never move it out without moving the pin out. Maybe some guys think they’ll
Never get rid of a pin, but if you do, the buyers gonna want that fish tales with a topper for sure!

#3452 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Or take it off and hang on to it. In case you ever sell the machine, or move the pins somewhere with a higher ceiling.

Definitely hang on to it- might be harder to sell without.

#3453 3 years ago

+1 on above two comments. No way I would of bought my FT without a topper. I would wager money lost on selling without topper than with would be larger than what you would get for the topper.

#3454 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I would wager money lost on selling without topper than with would be larger than what you would get for the topper.

Mike completely understand the value of a pin with and without the topper.

He did a fun podcast for years of his travels buying and repairing pins.

You can checkout his story on pinball profile -
https://www.pinballprofile.com/episode-149-obsessive-collecting-with-mike-dymus/

#3455 3 years ago

He may understand the value with or without, but what's the advantage?

The game without a topper will be worthless to the majority of potential pinside buyers. The pool of buyers overall will be substantially reduced making it more difficult to sell unless it's severely discounted.

Seems like an unnecessarily bad move compared to just storing it until it's time to sell.

#3456 3 years ago

Fish Tales with no Topper is like a slice of Pumpkin Pie without the Whipped Cream.

I mean...

you could eat it.

But why would you?

#3457 3 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Ceiling height sadly
I considered wiring it up with super long wires and having it sit on a shelf nearby which would be cool but the clacking would likely ultimately drive the wife crazy. So it just goes from one FT to another!

Totally your choice but ......

Unless you are desperate for cash ....hang on to it. Seriously. Really devalues the game not having it. Or maybe you think you will never sell the game but we have all thought that about games.

#3458 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Fish Tales with no Topper is like a slice of Pumpkin Pie without the Whipped Cream.

bad analogy - I always eat my pumpkin pie without whipped cream. In fact, my avatar is of the pie I like.

#3459 3 years ago

Regarding the small ribbon cable that connects the two boards.

I’ve seen it installed with the red stripe up and the red stripe down. Does it matter?

Thanks

F2B110D3-14D8-43FF-85D9-D8709DB3F2F5 (resized).jpegF2B110D3-14D8-43FF-85D9-D8709DB3F2F5 (resized).jpeg
#3460 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I always eat my pumpkin pie without whipped cream.

Weirdo.

#3461 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Regarding the small ribbon cable that connects the two boards.

I’ve seen it installed with the red stripe up and the red stripe down. Does it matter?

Each board has a "1" stenciled next to the connector. Red stripe goes there. That side.

Gray side can go to "1" on both sides too. Main thing is that the ends go to the same spot facing the same way on both boards. If not BOOM !

LTG : )

#3462 3 years ago

Can someone get me a good picture of a fish tales with LED warm and cool white bulbs for GI? I’ve got someone I’m trying to help decide what they want and they are new to pinball.

#3463 3 years ago

Here is cool white on the lower portion of the play field.

WIN_20201214_13_25_04_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20201214_13_25_04_Pro (resized).jpg
#3464 3 years ago

Cool White is the way to go.

There's a suffusion of yellow (heh) when you use the warmer shades.

#3465 3 years ago

I did cool white. Much better than when I had warms in
But I also changed my pop bodies to clear, mayyy more great light in the upper playfield because of that. I used those great top and bottom lit pop LED boards that fit inside also, love them

#3466 3 years ago

Warm white

IMG20201216080416 (resized).jpgIMG20201216080416 (resized).jpg
#3467 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Pinballgeek made his own versions if that will work:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club/page/13#post-3028561
I like the second one.

Quoted from PinballT:

Thanks So Much! Pinballgeek did a GREAT job on this background. Any advice on where to go to get this printed? Any special print shops that do this type of printing on decals?
Thanks! Tom

Oh god, I totally forgot about being quoted on this, been long gone since the fish tales went however here's a photo of what it looked like, complete topper was built from scratch inc circuit board

IMG_20160711_214644356 (resized).jpgIMG_20160711_214644356 (resized).jpgIMG_20160712_174638426 (resized).jpgIMG_20160712_174638426 (resized).jpgIMG_20160712_180342141 (resized).jpgIMG_20160712_180342141 (resized).jpg
#3468 3 years ago

So I sent my boards out for the repair of J120 & J121 as well as installation of NVRAM.
I did new connectors for J120 & J121

Hooked everything back up
Playfield and backbox were lit for about 5 seconds before the whole machine turned off.

I get no power now and nothing on the MPU LED’s. The outlet that the machine is plugged into is good.

#3469 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

So I sent my boards out for the repair of J120 & J121 as well as installation of NVRAM.
I did new connectors for J120 & J121
Playfield and backbox were lit for about 5 seconds before the whole machine turned off.
I get no power now and nothing on the MPU LED’s. The outlet that the machine is plugged into is good.

Check the main fuse in the power box inside the cabinet. Front right corner.

#3470 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Miss any connectors ? Any connectors in the wrong spot or facing the wrong way ? Ribbon cables in the right spots red stripe pin one each end and not off by a row ?

#3471 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Miss any connectors ? Any connectors in the wrong spot or facing the wrong way ? Ribbon cables in the right spots red stripe pin one each end and not off by a row ?

I took a look at the main fuse in the power box inside the cabinet. It was fried, so I replaced it with a spare that I had. Machine powered on for about 20 seconds (no display on dmd) and it powered off again. Fuse I replaced is fried again

#3472 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Fuse I replaced is fried again

If repair job was good. Something ain't hooked up right.

#3473 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If repair job was good. Something ain't hooked up right.

Making progress...

It looks like a previous owner never put the security pin in the J101 connector. I indeed had it on backwards. So I put it in the correct way, replaced the main power fuse and now the machine stays on.

However, nothing shows on the dmd display ( ribbon cable and connectors are installed correctly). I hear a light crackling sound coming from the speakers and I keep hearing the “bong” startup sound about every 15 seconds. It will not let me start a game

#3474 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

However, nothing shows on the dmd display ( ribbon cable and connectors are installed correctly). I hear a light crackling sound coming from the speakers and I keep hearing the “bong” startup sound about every 15 seconds. It will not let me start a game

Pull and check all your fuses.

Hopefully J101 mishap didn't hurt the board. Check with your board repair guy.

#3475 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Pull and check all your fuses.
Hopefully J101 mishap didn't hurt the board. Check with your board repair guy.

I thought I hit “Send post” on my previous update, but obviously did not. I want to thank everyone for their help.

The 2 ribbon cables on the top of the MPU board were off by a pin. I reseated them and the DMD now appears.

The light board with the 4 fish had some lights out. Taking the connector off, the pins were very loose. I resoldered the pins and it’s now working properly.

Tried starting a game, but the start button didn’t work. Running a test, both the start button and cast switches don’t work. Going into test menu shows a slew of ground short messages likely related to the MPU. I’ll have to send that back to get fixed.

The only other issue I’m seeing at this point is the lower half of the GI lights are out as well as the 3 bumper posts lights. I thought the replacement of J120 & J121 would have fixed the playfield lights as they were not working prior to the purchase. I didn’t see any loose wires breaking the chain under the playfield.

#3476 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I thought the replacement of J120 & J121 would have fixed the playfield lights as they were not working prior to the purchase. I didn’t see any loose wires breaking the chain under the playfield.

Did you replace the connectors too ? Pins on the board are only half the battle.

Glad you are gaining ground on this.

#3477 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you replace the connectors too ? Pins on the board are only half the battle.
Glad you are gaining ground on this.

Yes I should have stated that both connectors for J120 & J121 were also replaced using trifurcon pins. I’m thinking maybe I didn’t crimp one of those pins correctly?

I originally thought the playfield lights issue was due to J120 & J121 on the power driver board being fried to a crisp. I was counting on that resolving the problem, but alas.

#3478 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I’m thinking maybe I didn’t crimp one of those pins correctly?

Easy to check. First I'd check wire colors with Pinwiki - https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

Then with a meter set to AC see where you have power going out and where you don't. I'd also check the AC to the driver board for your GI - no power in means no power out.

#3479 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Easy to check. First I'd check wire colors with Pinwiki - https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems
Then with a meter set to AC see where you have power going out and where you don't. I'd also check the AC to the driver board for your GI - no power in means no power out.

The string of lights that are out are colored yellow

On J121, tested
Pin 3 - Yellow
Pin 9 - White/Yellow

Multimeter shows 6 volts so it appears to be an issue “off board". I was hoping it would be a simple issue like a fuse.

The link shows “off board” issues as either “All lamps blown” (not likely) or “Open in GI wiring” (basically a break in the chain)

It states “Use your DMM to check continuity between the lamp socket and the appropriate wire/pin at J120/J121”

So basically multimeter connected on one end to J121 pin 3 (yellow) and the other to each of the yellow cable on each lamp socket?

#3480 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

So basically multimeter connected on one end to J121 pin 3 (yellow) and the other to each of the yellow cable on each lamp socket?

I'd turn game off and check continuity of each wire from connector to sockets. Try and locate the break.

#3481 3 years ago

Not sure if they are still hard to come by as it’s been a while since I owned the game but there is a caster handle on eBay if anyone needs one. Not my listing just stumbled on it.

ebay.com link: itm

#3482 3 years ago

I finally upgrades my FT to LEDs after owning it for about a year (it was my first pin) and it's made a huge difference! I didn't realize how many lights in the backbox were burned out. I got the kit from comet pinball but I wasn't sure how to set up the LED strip on the bottom of the backbox. Does anyone have a picture of what that should look like (the instructions from Comet weren't the clearest)?

Thanks!

FishTalesBackBoxLED (resized).jpgFishTalesBackBoxLED (resized).jpg
#3483 3 years ago
Quoted from tbaum:

I wasn't sure how to set up the LED strip on the bottom of the backbox.

I use Blue Tape to decide where I want it located, first. This allows you the ability to change ocations a number fo times before committing to peeling that adhszive backing and fixing it (semi) permanently. I would think the best spot on the FT Translite would likely be bottom, centered on the splash / wave...but experiment with placement and see how it looks.

As far as hookup goes, replace the closest bulb with the Quick Connect w/ Bulb or without and connect it up.

I put strips in the BBQ and under the Caudron on my EaTPM and they look great.

#3484 3 years ago
Quoted from tbaum:

I finally upgrades my FT to LEDs after owning it for about a year (it was my first pin) and it's made a huge difference! I didn't realize how many lights in the backbox were burned out. I got the kit from comet pinball but I wasn't sure how to set up the LED strip on the bottom of the backbox. Does anyone have a picture of what that should look like (the instructions from Comet weren't the clearest)?
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Pro tip... Ledocd makes the inserts looks so much nicer and less harsh as they transition.

#3485 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Pro tip... Ledocd makes the inserts looks so much nicer and less harsh as they transition.

LED OCD looks really nice - I may need to wait a bit before I get it. After buying two invisglass and the LED kit (and I may need to get a new speaker set soon as FT is sounds a bit creaky at times... particularly if I hit fast cast), my accessory budget is pretty spent

#3486 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I use Blue Tape to decide where I want it located, first. This allows you the ability to change ocations a number fo times before committing to peeling that adhszive backing and fixing it (semi) permanently. I would think the best spot on the FT Translite would likely be bottom, centered on the splash / wave...but experiment with placement and see how it looks.
As far as hookup goes, replace the closest bulb with the Quick Connect w/ Bulb or without and connect it up.
I put strips in the BBQ and under the Caudron on my EaTPM and they look great.

What's the difference with between the w/ or wo/ bulb options? I was a bit confused my those and the, seemingly, extra alligator clips

#3487 3 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

Not sure if they are still hard to come by as it’s been a while since I owned the game but there is a caster handle on eBay if anyone needs one. Not my listing just stumbled on it.
ebay.com link

These are being remade now!

#3488 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd turn game off and check continuity of each wire from connector to sockets. Try and locate the break.

Game is off and multimeter set to continuity
I put one probe on one leg and one probe on the other of a bayonet bottom that’s not lighting in the GI string. I get nothing. Should I get some sort of reading?

#3489 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Should I get some sort of reading?

Yes. Continuity. Sounds like a break from connector to lamp socket.

#3490 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. Continuity. Sounds like a break from connector to lamp socket.

I took another pass at this as maybe I thought I wasn’t connecting to the probes well enough

I’m getting readings of 1618 for continuity on both the lower left and lower right GI lamps that will not light.

So this means that the sockets are getting power?

#3491 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

So this means that the sockets are getting power?

Turn the game on and check.

#3492 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Turn the game on and check.

The MPU board has been removed and shipped to be repaired again.

I powered the machine and no lights anywhere, but I’d expect that.

I wouldn’t have expected the lights to work anyways as I did nothing but test continuity and check to see if any wires had fallen off and broken the chain

#3493 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

The MPU board has been removed and shipped to be repaired again.
I powered the machine and no lights anywhere, but I’d expect that.
I wouldn’t have expected the lights to work anyways as I did nothing but test continuity and checking to see if any wires got loose in the chain.

#3494 3 years ago

Has anyone put selective colored LEDs in their original translite and had amazing results that make that thing pop in the right places? I’d love to see some show and tell - but make sure to posts pics without the translite so we can see bulb color placement too and can copy cat the hood ones!!

Also, I’m looking at building a topper or two from scratch as it seems like most parts are available aside from a select few and it looks like you could be all in for about $300 and some time. I’d love to see pics of the wiring harness - every connection - to reproduce as that seems like a part I can’t buy readily.

Thanks all!

#3495 3 years ago

I have. I think it looks great. Will take some photos next time I get the chance.

#3496 3 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Has anyone put selective colored LEDs in their original translite and had amazing results that make that thing pop in the right places? I’d love to see some show and tell - but make sure to posts pics without the translite so we can see bulb color placement too and can copy cat the hood ones!!
Also, I’m looking at building a topper or two from scratch as it seems like most parts are available aside from a select few and it looks like you could be all in for about $300 and some time. I’d love to see pics of the wiring harness - every connection - to reproduce as that seems like a part I can’t buy readily.
Thanks all!

I recently changed my translight out to the backglass from CPR - looks amazing! I took this picture of the led placement when I used the translight. I had to go to all frosted white on the backglass as this configuration was not good and the blues were in particular too strong, but looked really good on the standard translight. 1 of the reds is a flex led targeting the red boat motor.

Fish Tales Back Box LEDs (resized).jpgFish Tales Back Box LEDs (resized).jpg
#3497 3 years ago
Quoted from t2000:

I recently changed my translight out to the backglass from CPR - looks amazing! I took this picture of the led placement when I used the translight. I had to go to all frosted white on the backglass as this configuration was not good and the blues were in particular too strong, but looked really good on the standard translight. 1 of the reds is a flex led targeting the red boat motor.
[quoted image]

I had read reviews that the best way to go in the backbox was all frosted white and that’s what I did. I was never a fan of modding machines (whether adding lights or playfield toys) from the way they came from the factory.

Those guys built the machine and would know best. Who am I to say I could do something better?

#3498 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I had read reviews that the best way to go in the backbox was all frosted white and that’s what I did. I was never a fan of modding machines (whether adding lights or playfield toys) from the way they came from the factory.
Those guys built the machine and would know best. Who am I to say I could do something better?

That's the beauty of ownership. We can all do what we want
Plus, when many of these games were made, led bulbs didn't exist.... Maybe they woulda!

#3499 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

That's the beauty of ownership. We can all do what we want
Plus, when many of these games were made, led bulbs didn't exist.... Maybe they woulda!

LED's, 3d printing, etc. We have the power now!!

#3500 3 years ago

LED Pics :
Repop Translite. The Engine is a bit too red on this one, so I did not highlight it.

DSCN3717 (resized).JPGDSCN3717 (resized).JPGDSCN3719 (resized).JPGDSCN3719 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
There are 5,587 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club/page/70?hl=silen7ce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.