Topic Stats

• 1,828 posts
  • 295 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 112 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 605 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG20180816100309 (resized).jpg
9BE1AAC0-5D21-41FF-9933-08CA7BDB5E47 (resized).png
IMG-5900 (1) (resized).JPG
fishing rod pastic (resized).jpg
DSC03667 (resized).JPG
DSC03668 (resized).JPG
IMG_5594 (resized).JPG
IMG_5593 (resized).JPG
20180610_141748 (resized).jpg
32381124_10215980076878803_6862003248056762368_o (resized).jpg
BADEA7E9-B318-4F07-AC0E-ECCA6B3CA7E6 (resized).jpeg
B0A77055-D114-4098-8BA7-A7F22E32CCF5 (resized).jpeg
20180606_224104 (resized).jpg
20180613_001117 (resized).jpg
20180612_003419 (resized).jpg
20180606_184444 (resized).jpg

There are 1828 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 37.
#1701 88 days ago

Thought I saw on this thread someone made new art for the backboard behind the fish. Anyone have a link who make it?

#1703 87 days ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

bugsy the tricky thing about that reel - that I have realized - is the test is rarely accurate sadly. I would first check the mechanism... the belt, and pulley.

One thing i noticed in live play is if the caster club VUK switch is not fully activating or is intermittent when the ball is resting on it, can result in super odd reel behavior.

I came to find that the catapult switch was registering intermittently. Lifted the playfield and saw that the diode on that switch wasn't soldered on, one end was just pushed through the hole so it wasn't making solid contact. All fixed now with just a bit of solder.

#1706 86 days ago

I was finally able to log some super jackpots last night. Multiball is so fun on this game, yet so frustrating at the same time. Once you get to the super jackpot round, it's intense. I haven't even begun to get around to a 2nd or 3rd multiball where the supers are 200 million and 300 million respectively.

#1707 85 days ago

Anyone interested in one of the nicest Fish Tales on earth

#1708 85 days ago

Wish you were closer.

#1709 81 days ago
Quoted from northerndude:

You won't sell it...

So...

Got the game home. FILTHY but it was obvious that there was a great game underneath. Started working right away on getting things fixed.

At this point, the boards (cpu and power driver) are about to go out for repair and I am in the process of tearing the entire thing down so I can get it cleaned up. I actually love this part of getting a "new" table from a seller - fixing it all up.

Here's the best part: This is my FOURTH table. My wife had politely tolerated my never ending descent into this hobby but not - until this point - showed much interest. One day early on, with the game still FILTHY, GI half out, burned out bulbs everywhere, no flashers working, neither slingshot working, useless pop bumper skirts that look like a ghoul chewed on them thereby reducing most action and a bright-lit line through the center of the DMD, she stepped up, played a couple games and smiled. I mean really smiled. Getting to multiball on her first game probably helped. Then she said:

"I like THIS one. THIS one is fun. It's really fast. I don't think you should sell it."

So now parts are being delivered from all over the place and I have 3 questions:

1. Does anyone know what color rubber set was shipped from the factory? I am assuming they were white but I see a lot of games with black rubber. Anyone have thoughts? Mine has black and I kind of like it.

2. All my stop nuts on my plastics (OF COURSE!) are a mess. Is there a source for the ones I have where the interior nylon is red or should I just order whatever? Marco has some really cool anodized ones that I can get in red, but I am a bit of a purist. Again, anyone know how this looked leaving the factory?

3. These legs - UGH. Very badly rusted down their lower halves. Again, anyone know what was factory? I am strongly considering switching them out!

LOVE this game. Not sure we're gonna sell it as I thought.

Thanks in advance for all input!

Tim in Motown

Ps. Hopefully these 2 pix will help illustrate what a great pf I have under all the muck and grime. Gotta love those games from storage...

20180528_000807 (resized).jpg

20180528_041143 (resized).jpg

#1710 81 days ago
Quoted from SilverBallKid:

So...
Got the game home. FILTHY but it was obvious that there was a great game underneath. Started working right away on getting things fixed.
At this point, the boards (cpu and power driver) are about to go out for repair and I am in the process of tearing the entire thing down so I can get it cleaned up. I actually love this part of getting a "new" table from a seller - fixing it all up.
Here's the best part: This is my FOURTH table. My wife had politely tolerated my never ending descent into this hobby but not - until this point - showed much interest. One day early on, with the game still FILTHY, GI half out, burned out bulbs everywhere, no flashers working, neither slingshot working, useless pop bumper skirts that look like a ghoul chewed on them thereby reducing most action and a bright-lit line through the center of the DMD, she stepped up, played a couple games and smiled. I mean really smiled. Getting to multiball on her first game probably helped. Then she said:
"I like THIS one. THIS one is fun. It's really fast. I don't think you should sell it."
So now parts are being delivered from all over the place and I have 3 questions:
1. Does anyone know what color rubber set was shipped from the factory? I am assuming they were white but I see a lot of games with black rubber. Anyone have thoughts? Mine has black and I kind of like it.
2. All my stop nuts on my plastics (OF COURSE!) are a mess. Is there a source for the ones I have where the interior nylon is red or should I just order whatever? Marco has some really cool anodized ones that I can get in red, but I am a bit of a purist. Again, anyone know how this looked leaving the factory?
3. These legs - UGH. Very badly rusted down their lower halves. Again, anyone know what was factory? I am strongly considering switching them out!
LOVE this game. Not sure we're gonna sell it as I thought.
Thanks in advance for all input!
Tim in Motown
Ps. Hopefully these 2 pix will help illustrate what a great pf I have under all the muck and grime. Gotta love those games from storage...

I found all my nuts for my plastics were awful also, I ordered a bag of acorn nuts from AliExpress for pennies on the dollar, even our pathetic CDN dollar!

A NEW set of legs are cheap, your in the US, even shipping will be inexpensive for you. Grab a new shiny set from Marco. OR - A bit of elbow grease and a scotch brite pad and some BarKeepers friend and metal polish might make them brand new-ish also

ALSO< WOW - that cleaned up nice from what you could see there!

#1711 81 days ago

Mine had melted and fossilized white rubbers on it when I got it, so I think white is original. I like white rubbers to make everything brighter as well.

Ace hardware has the same large and small nuts, sheet metal screws, and bolts in the hardware isle.

I wrapped my rusty legs in orange vinyl. 10'x1' for $12 bucks from amazon covers 4 legs.

Some FT powder coat examples if you change your mind on going all orginal:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-powdercoat-or-not#post-4094128

#1712 81 days ago

I went with light blue silicon rubbers from titan, and got nylon nuts in blue from Chroma Pinball https://chromapinball.com/

#1713 80 days ago

Anyone that made a spare topper board the fish mounts on let me know. Does not look too tricky but thought I would see if anyone made a spare if they redid theirs.

#1714 78 days ago

Stoked to have joined the club recently

Have appreciation for this thread as provided some great insight and ideas,

Thanks all !!!

Could not help myself,
Getting stuck into bringing this Mark Ritchie gem back to former glory !

Will not be high end, but close to original as possible.

Fishies is Awesome !

FT1 (resized).jpgFT2 (resized).jpgFT3 (resized).jpgFT4 (resized).jpgFT5 (resized).jpgFT6 (resized).jpgFT7 (resized).jpg
#1715 76 days ago

what looks best up in the topper. original bulbs? warm leds? blue?

#1716 76 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I have mix of green and blue led bulbs, alternating. Looks good.

#1717 76 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I have mix of green and blue led bulbs, alternating. Looks good.

that’s what i was thinking. rebuilding my topper this week

#1718 76 days ago

Best pics i could find on phone.
Did you ever find a dome?

20180313_224154 (resized).jpg

IMAG0012 (resized).jpg
#1719 76 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

My LED kit came with blue/green for up there which gives the game an extra splash of color, but those colors do drown out the beautiful airbrush work on the fish in a dark room. So, don't rule out going with white up there.

I definitely like Yellow for the fishes eyeball and cool white in the backbox and GI.

One of my tricks is putting 2 blinkers behind the lightning in the upper left corner of the backbox.

ft1 (resized).JPG

ftt2 (resized).JPG

#1720 76 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

, but those colors do drown out the beautiful airbrush work on the fish. So, don't rule out going with white up there.

White, especially incandescent is best to me. A fish doesn't belong in a neon rave, natures art is fabulous in natural light.

#1721 76 days ago
Quoted from wayout440:

White, especially incandescent is best to me. A fish doesn't belong in a neon rave, natures art is fabulous in natural light.

No light in deep water. But yes, My fish had incandescent for years. It did look good. Just upgraded and it looks much better in person.

#1722 76 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

No light in deep water. But yes, My fish had incandescent for years. It did look good. Just upgraded and it looks much better in person.

thx eric not yet. i’ll prob just go new. it’s a players FT so was just trying to save a few $$$

#1723 72 days ago

Hey FT club members. Since The Pinball Arcade is having to remove their Bally & Williams games, I took screenshots of all the FT instructions before it goes bye bye. Their instructions are too valuable to waste so I am hoping to preserve them this way. Below is a link to the Google Photos album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FLsdDshjv9uMFlMr1

I'm also doing the same thing with other games over on another thread if you want to check it out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-arcade-instructions

#1724 72 days ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Hey FT club members. Since The Pinball Arcade is having to remove their Bally &amp; Williams games, I took screenshots of all the FT instructions before it goes bye bye.

If you own it, it will not go away! They are just not licensed to sell it after the end of the month. That is why they are advertising to buy it before its too late.

#1725 72 days ago

Thanks for clearing that out.

#1726 72 days ago

Yes but I don't own the digital copy. I'm not a huge fan of digital pinball but love their instructions.

#1727 72 days ago

If you're a true fan of Fishtales, you have the ruleset memorized front, back, & sideways anyhow

#1728 72 days ago

Finally in the FT Club!

I took a road trip to St Louis & back a month ago to pick up mine...….left at 6am, got back around 4pm. I had been looking for one for a while....it was worth the trip!

Had the family over for a birthday party and FT was the most played game....my youngest nephew loved it....lol

FT for sale in the northwest burbs of Chicago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/65025

IANFT (resized).jpg
#1729 72 days ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

If you're a true fan of Fishtales, you have the ruleset memorized front, back, &amp; sideways anyhow

I pretty much know all the rules but perhaps future owners, or future generations won't so this will hopefully help them.

#1730 72 days ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

I pretty much know all the rules but perhaps future owners, or future generations won't so this will hopefully help them.

Obviously, which is why I threw in the wink emoji

#1731 72 days ago

#1732 71 days ago

20180607_180214 (resized).jpg
#1733 71 days ago

Nice autograph!

#1734 69 days ago

Help?
Power to several solenoids seems to have gone out simultaneously.

Outhole, pop bumpers, etc.
They all seem to have the violet with orange wire in common. And I think they all land on the j130 block in the back box?

Any idea what I should check next?

Please and thanks,
Adam.

#1735 69 days ago
Quoted from Badamack:

Help?
Power to several solenoids seems to have gone out simultaneously.
Outhole, pop bumpers, etc.
They all seem to have the violet with orange wire in common. And I think they all land on the j130 block in the back box?
Any idea what I should check next?
Please and thanks,
Adam.

three fuses control 8 solenoids each. you’ve blown one check the chart stapled inside head

#1736 68 days ago

Put a multimeter on Ohms with the audible sound option, go across all of your fuses and listen for the the one with "no sound"

#1737 66 days ago

What's up, fellow anglers?

So, the long process of tearing down the FT that I bought the first weekend in May and getting it ready for rebuild is almost done. Turns out my power driver board and cpu both had issues so they are out for repair, which gives me plenty of time to go nice and slow to get the table looking the way I want it to before I repopulate it and get it ready for play. This is my first experience with a modern table. My first three pins were either EM or early SS. As always, there is so much to learn. I have a few questions for you peeps who have been through this before, but first I wanted to share what I have been working on so far. Let's take a look...

So here is a good example of how dirty this thing was, along with a look at what a little Novus can do (just light pressure with Novus 2 on a microfiber cloth - I won't likely ever have to use it on here again). This second photo was taken right after my "first pass" of cleaning. After my second, more thorough cleaning of these trouble areas, they brightened up even more. Just trying to maximize my effectiveness without wearing away the Diamond Plate.

20180603_013039 (resized).jpg

20180603_015305 (resized).jpg

In the past week I have finished depopulating the playfield and rebuilding the pops, which were a mess. The skirts were chewed away horribly and everything was old and filthy so I decided to replace them. I had a busted lamp socket in the middle pop so that got fixed as well. Also, rebuilding the pops gave me a chance to clean around and under them as much as I wanted. Like every other inch of this game, these areas needed it. Yokes, spoons, switches and such were fine and everything in the under-playfield mechs that needed it got a good soak in the ulatrsonic during the rebuild. I also rebuilt both of my slingshot kickers since the mechs were a mess. One side had a broken linkage and the other had a soon to break linkage and no spring. By the way, check out the FILTH on that mini boat ramp metal form in this picture of the pop bumper area. Thank goodness for the ulatrsonic.

20180606_184444 (resized).jpg

Last night I took the dome off and worked the fish topper over. Like everything else, it was FILTHY. Still, after some Mean Green love and patient cleaning, it looks great again. Can't wait to see it lit up properly once I am done with the rebuild and the boards are back!

20180612_003419 (resized).jpg

So, as I hit the homestretch, the three questions I have are...

1. My topper dome is a mess so I ordered a new one from Marco. It was scratched up badly and somewhat discolored with a few good cracks in the base where the screws go through. I found silver, adhesive backed mylar pretty easily online. I have that ordered as well so I can trim a sheet to size and get it stuck back up in the top of the new dome when it arrives. For those of you who have ordered these new domes in the past, are you happy with yours? Obviously I already ordered it so my mind was made up, but I am just curious if you folks have been satisfied with your new ones.

2. My playfield has very little in the way of major issues. There is some wear in the two spots where the wireform ramps drop the ball down into the inlanes, but I am ordering some Cliffys to go in there to keep that from getting worse. The one thing is that on the playfield, wherever there has been a lot of ball action, the Diamond Plate has "dulled" from wear and doesn't shine as much. Should I just apply the multiple coats of Blitz wax and stop obsessing, or is there something else I can try to do to restore the luster to the Diamond Plate? My buddy Matt who used to work for an amusement company back in the day is telling me to just wax it down with a couple coats of Blitz and be done with it, as it looks way better than it did when I got it. This is the first time I have dealt with a modern game with Diamond Plate on the pf so I am just looking for feedback. Here is a picture that I hope illustrates what I am talking about:
20180613_001117 (resized).jpg

And here is a picture of the entire playfield without me "obsessing" about that dull effect.
20180606_224104 (resized).jpg

3. I am thinking that this table is going to look pretty great when I am done and that has me thinking about a COLOR DMD! For those of you who have purchased them, are they really as easy to install as the website claims? Are they truly just "plug and play?"

Anyway, I welcome any and all input about my questions. I'm definitely getting excited to put everything back together and get my boards back from the guy who is working on them (Jerry Clause for anybody local who is reading this - GREAT guy!).

Cheers and Happy Fishing!

Tim in Motown

#1738 66 days ago

Should I just apply the multiple coats of Blitz wax and stop obsessing, or is there something else I can try to do to restore the luster to the Diamond Plate?

My TZ playfield was dull just like that. I polished with novus 2 until it shined again. The way I judged if it was OK is using the overhead light fixture in my workroom. I could see the reflection of the light fixture in the shiny areas. I polished the dull areas and Mylar until I could see the reflection of the light fixture in that spot and then moved on. It turned out very nice.

Don't forget to order the seashell decal for your topper as well.

#1739 66 days ago

silverballz color DMD for sure on fish tales! So many great animations. Yes the install is very straight forward and their website has videos as well. I went with the more expensive lcd... but that just my flavor the led is awesome too!

B0A77055-D114-4098-8BA7-A7F22E32CCF5 (resized).jpegBADEA7E9-B318-4F07-AC0E-ECCA6B3CA7E6 (resized).jpeg
#1740 66 days ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

silverballz color DMD for sure on fish tales! So many great animations. Yes the install is very straight forward and their website has videos as well. I went with the more expensive lcd... but that just my flavor the led is awesome too!

Great to know, thanks! I just watched a guy's install video on YouTube and it seemed really easy. I think I would go with the LCD as well. Gonna wait until I get everything back up and running and then make a decision!

#1741 66 days ago

Has anyone powder coat rails legs and lockdown bars orange. Looking for pictures of it or other colors. Have seen black and blue so far.

#1742 66 days ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Has anyone powder coat rails legs and lockdown bars orange. Looking for pictures of it or other colors. Have seen black and blue so far.

I love the orange legs on mine. The gold/green armor from the Texas show was awesome. Chrome coin doors are sweet. Can't go wrong with black armor.

check all the photos in this thread..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-powdercoat-or-not#post-4094100

#1743 66 days ago

I have several NOS Fish Tails aprons. PM me if you have interest. Won't ship out of the US

20180610_141748 (resized).jpg
#1744 66 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I love the orange legs on mine. The gold/green armor from the Texas show was awesome. Chrome coin doors are sweet. Can't go wrong with black armor.
check all the photos in this thread..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-powdercoat-or-not#post-4094100

Thanks for the link, leaning toward keeping it original.

Any other pics?

#1745 66 days ago

Hey its my old game! Glad you like it. I got my AFM its great. Enjoy!

Quoted from nascarrey:

Finally in the FT Club!
I took a road trip to St Louis &amp; back a month ago to pick up mine...….left at 6am, got back around 4pm. I had been looking for one for a while....it was worth the trip!
Had the family over for a birthday party and FT was the most played game....my youngest nephew loved it....lol
FT for sale in the northwest burbs of Chicago.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/65025

#1746 66 days ago
Quoted from butterz:

Hey its my old game! Glad you like it. I got my AFM its great. Enjoy!
More

LOL Good eye! Of course one came up for sale in Bloomington, Il on the FB marketplace this week...lol but no regrets here!

Your Shadow buyer came through! That was a really clean game.

So AFM was worth it?

#1747 66 days ago

anyone have a nice used topper ?

#1748 66 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

anyone have a nice used topper ?

Try the Whitewater Club thread also

#1749 66 days ago

thx. good idea!

#1750 66 days ago

Yeah, selling Fish Tales and Shadow for AFM was a major upgrade. Game is pretty sweet. Fish tales is still awesome, perhaps I will get another Fish tales along with a Dracula someday.

Quoted from nascarrey:

LOL Good eye! Of course one came up for sale in Bloomington, Il on the FB marketplace this week...lol but no regrets here!
Your Shadow buyer came through! That was a really clean game.
So AFM was worth it?

32381124_10215980076878803_6862003248056762368_o (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
MONSTERFISH MODS
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 170.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nampa, ID
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pitman, NJ
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1828 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 37.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside