p2 (resized).jpg
p1 (resized).jpg
FT1 (resized).jpg
fishtales sword (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 13.20.11 (resized).png
3ff3af1335f3cf0ab4ddec7bc6e817774e6da3b5 (resized).jpg
20240121_211414 (resized).jpg
20240121_211552 (resized).jpg

There are 5,566 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 112.
#1651 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

If anyone is thinking of redoing a FT, CPR found a stash of playfields at their clearcoaters shop -
http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-playfields.html

Thanks for the heads up! Been looking for 1 and just ordered from them.

#1652 5 years ago
Quoted from t2000:

Thanks for the heads up! Been looking for 1 and just ordered from them.

Could there be a silver lining in this as now the clearcoat has had an extra year to cure??! lol

#1653 5 years ago

Extra year to cure means nothing if there are insert problems...lol. The one I bought the inserts are proud of the surface (thankfully it wasn't one of the ones with problems of it being below the surface). As soon as it gets warm enough, I need to level and shoot it with 2pac to fix it.

#1654 5 years ago

I ordered one of the CPR playfields and it will arrive on Tuesday. I hope the clearcoat is ok. Seems to be the common problem with that playfield.

#1655 5 years ago

You could say I'm a fan. My first pin, purchased in 2006 for way too much. I might be able to break even on it now, except I'll never sell it. It's been moved to 5 different homes and 3 states since then.

#1656 5 years ago

Company at my place always migrate to it, when they come over(young and old)

#1657 5 years ago

Its the only one I have been playing since I got it. We had a family gathering last week so they all got some love. Going to be doing some real fishing as soon as the temps warm up a little. I went out for "casting practice" this morning - 30 degrees!

#1658 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

They simply weren't designed to run this long. The plastic pulley was probably cheaper. This is a common complaint I have heard, and the best way to fix it is replacing the pulley..

New pulley and drive belt... bingo! Problem solved here the whole time I thought it was my optos, learning as we go here haha

#1659 5 years ago

Mesquito dive bomber

BF18D670-CC74-4F6F-A2EE-C505BA131F22 (resized).jpegBF18D670-CC74-4F6F-A2EE-C505BA131F22 (resized).jpeg

#1660 5 years ago

I’m in the club finally, my FT was delivered this morning. It is a players machine that was reimported from Barcelona according to the stickers I found on it. It has a single coin slot door, no coin mechs or box. It plays just fine it’s just cosmetic stuff. I already know I need to redo the playfield slide hinges, there’s at least one missing spring and the other is bent and I’m thinking about new cabinet decals. It looks like the inserts were reset awhile ago, not the best job, but they’re level and will do until I get brave enough to try a playfield swap. But this is my first project pin so it will be a learning experience.
My first question is that I think I’m missing a piece of glass trim up by the back box, see the gap? Can someone tell me what part I need to order? Thanks!

7BA76EFB-714C-4E6A-8438-35B53E4FD734 (resized).jpeg7BA76EFB-714C-4E6A-8438-35B53E4FD734 (resized).jpeg

9269322F-A259-4351-8107-15FADA1AF869 (resized).jpeg9269322F-A259-4351-8107-15FADA1AF869 (resized).jpeg

#1661 5 years ago
Quoted from minishark:

I’m in the club finally, my FT was delivered this morning.

Welcome to the club. The glass should slide in the to top trim that looks like this:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8091

#1662 5 years ago

Thank you Neal. I have a feeling Marco is going to be hearing from me regularly as I find things to fix.

1 week later
#1663 5 years ago

Looks like all those newly rediscovered CPR gold playfield are gone. They are no longer showing in the CPR store.

#1664 5 years ago

Played FT for the first time at the VFW show last weekend. Now gotta have one!

#1665 5 years ago

Stripped most of playfield
Cleaned and waxed playfield
Cleaned various playfield parts and plastics
Cleaned metal ball guides
Replaced broken pop bumper skirts
Leveled a few raised inserts
Replaced rubber
New balls
Replaced incandescent bulbs with LEDs
Probably forgetting a few other things

Still need to do a flipper rebuild with new bats, and fix the VUK. But after that it will be ready to go.

FT 1.JPGFT 1.JPGLittle dirty, previous owner apparently didn't clean it much, if at all
FT 2.JPGFT 2.JPGBit of a close up of the dirtiness. Check out the one lightning flipper and the one regular flipper
FT 3.JPGFT 3.JPGReady for the Novus
FT 4.JPGFT 4.JPGCould almost pass as a CPR. ("Total lie")
FT 5.JPGFT 5.JPGAs it sits right now. The LEDs look beautiful (this is in all lamp test mode.) I also replaced the "Stretch the Truth" lights with ice blue 1SMDs from Comet. I think the blue looks nice.
FT.gifFT.gif

#1666 5 years ago

While giving the game a few test runs after the cleaning, I came to find the reel acting a bit weird. The reel works fine for locking balls, but when multiball starts after locking the third ball, it will release the first ball to the catapult, then do a complete 360 to the first hole. It won't stop to release the second ball in sequence immediately. It takes it a few tries to realize it has other balls in the reel and finally will release the second ball. And similar to the first ball, the reel will do a complete 360 to an empty reel hole instead of going to the third hole to release the third ball.

All the balls eventually fall out into the catapult but it takes them a while, and you can kind of see the game is a bit confused because the reel will kind of cycle until it's back in its proper position.

Any suggestions?

#1667 5 years ago

Check your diode's or read Soulrider911 's reel opto thread, he went to hell and back

#1668 5 years ago

Hey Bugsy the first thing I would check is your lower pulley. If that thing has a lot of play (common for games that had a lot of use) it can cause mis-registration. Additionally the same can be true if you drive belt (the clear rubber band) is worn or stretched out.

Have you gone into he test menu and tested the reel? Does the reel accurately register slots 1,2,and reel (ha e to watch the reel and the display at the same time).

#1669 5 years ago

Yes @soulrider911, I have tested the reel in test menu and it works flawlessly, which is why I'm confused as to why it would act differently during actual gameplay. I should have time later today to check it and mess with it again.

#1670 5 years ago

Bugsy the tricky thing about that reel - that I have realized - is the test is rarely accurate sadly. I would first check the mechanism... the belt, and pulley.

One thing i noticed in live play is if the caster club VUK switch is not fully activating or is intermittent when the ball is resting on it, can result in super odd reel behavior.

#1671 5 years ago

Hi guys, I hope this isn't too cheeky to ask, but you guys who have L.E.D out you f.t. do you have the bulb list? What types of bulbs did you use? What colors and how many?
I'm rebuilding a f.t. and going to get leds soon, was thinking comet pinball, 2smd cool white for g.I. color matched inserts and leaving the incandesant flashers in. Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Justin

#1672 5 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

Hi guys, I hope this isn't too cheeky to ask, but you guys who have L.E.D out you f.t. do you have the bulb list? What types of bulbs did you use? What colors and how many?
I'm rebuilding a f.t. and going to get leds soon, was thinking comet pinball, 2smd cool white for g.I. color matched inserts and leaving the incandesant flashers in. Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Justin

Leave the incandescent in. Especially the backglass. You will be happy with a nice, even light that does not spot or cause excessive glare. Color match the inserts with LEDs is ok.

#1673 5 years ago

do you have the bulb list?

Just sent you a PM with a list of my FT order from Comet.

However, please note that LEDs are really based off personal preference. Each person will have their own tastes and thoughts regarding LEDs, since there are just so many variables and differences when looking into LEDs. For example, personally I have found that the 1 LED bulbs (the cheapest ones they offer) work fine for inserts. I usually go with the clear flat top bulbs for the inserts. Color matching works great for inserts for most colors, but for yellow inserts, I'd suggest going with natural white. Yellow LEDs just aren't very bright.

Another example of personal preference is I color matched the 4 stringer fish, even though the inserts themselves are white. I also used the "ice blue" frosted bulbs for the "Stretch the Truth" board. I believe stock they are regular 555 bulbs with yellow bulb condoms on them. I chose the ice blue based on the color of the plastic, which matched nicely.

I also used 1 SMD frosted sunlight for the GIs. I have not yet tried 2 SMD bulbs, but I can say that the 1 SMD bulbs work great. The few pictures I posted just above a few days ago have all the LEDs I bought on that list installed, so you can see how much light they give off.

One last thing, the regular LEDs will have that "ghosting" effect. To be honest you hardly see it during normal game play. It doesn't really bother me but I'm sure there are people who will be bothered by it. You can just as easily purchase the non ghosting bulbs, but that will pretty much double your cost.

#1674 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Leave the incandescent in. Especially the backglass. You will be happy with a nice, even light that does not spot or cause excessive glare. Color match the inserts with LEDs is ok.

Or you could just get 2smd frosted domes since he asked about LED. Its always a personal choice obviously. I personally prefer clean white light to the dirty yellow of incandescent. But that’s just my opinion

#1675 5 years ago

Thanks
Justin

I tossed the Comet "Purple passion" in my purple inserts, loved it!

#1676 5 years ago

Thanks for replying everyone.
Thanks for the colour suggestions under inserts and in features,
I'll check out that list when I get home from work, thanks Bugsy.
Wayout440, I get what you mean, I've left incandesants in the backbox of my dredd and the J. P. I flipped, I thought the leds were too bright in the backbox. But I really like led in the g.I. I like the subtle flicker it has when the ball is rolling, hard to explain.

#1677 5 years ago

I went with frosted warm 2smd’s for GI and I love them, perfect for this theme. My 2 cents

#1678 5 years ago

I went with the comet 1 smd 5050 frosted sunlight everywhere. It was nice and subtle and allowed the inserts to produce the color also does not burn my or my wife’s retinas if the lights are out. And yes, my inserts ghosted until I installed the non-ghosting bulbs in. Good luck in whichever road you take.

#1679 5 years ago

I have cool white frosted LED in my GI and backbox, and enjoy it. They make the whites in the back box look nice, but it's all personal preference.

#1680 5 years ago

I'd add my 2 cents worth about my choice of led's also but the most relevant thing has already been stated (Personal preference). I think you will find that trying a few different options is perhaps the best, so maybe just get a couple each of a target group of led's, trial them out and go from there. I've added certain led's before, stood back and thought "Yeahhhh dig it"..... few days later turn on the machine and go "WTF was i thinking and who slipped the acid tab in my breakfast cereal?"
A bit of trial and error never goes astray and it's quite likely even your own tastes for lighting your machines will change with time.

#1681 5 years ago

Wayout440, I get what you mean, I've left incandesants in the backbox of my dredd and the J. P. I flipped, I thought the leds were too bright in the backbox. But I really like led in the g.I. I like the subtle flicker it has when the ball is rolling, hard to explain.

LOL. Usually people express how much LED flicker bothers them, odd that it is found enjoyable. Although I do admit the shimmering effect of LED aquarium lighting is pleasing.

#1682 5 years ago

Picked up a project FT to clean up and trade...2 quick questions:

1) Any have or know where to get head site art?

2) The service buttons are going crazy...either they dont work or when I push them they cycle forever. What do people spray with to clean them out?

THx

#1683 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

2) The service buttons are going crazy...either they dont work or when I push them they cycle forever. What do people spray with to clean them out?
THx

Do not spray anything to clean any switches - ever. The push button sealed switches should be replaced if they are sticking. The same with lever style sealed switches. Exposed blade style plated contact switches should only be cleaned with a buisiness card. High voltage (tungsten) switches should be cleaned with a point file, unless they are too pitted - in which case they should be replaced.

#1684 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Picked up a project FT to clean up and trade...2 quick questions:
1) Any have or know where to get head site art?
THx

1. Officially: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPA-FT-CABSETNG

2. CRC 5103 is fine on exposed leaf switches like the coin door service buttons use, but I wouldn't use it on microswitches: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-5103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI/

#1685 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

1. Officially: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPA-FT-CABSETNG
2. CRC 5103 is fine on exposed leaf switches like the coin door service buttons use, but I wouldn't use it on microswitches: amazon.com link »

thx are the service buttons exposed leaf switches? i used my multimeter and i can ground each button and e make them
work except the enter button. so i actually think my service buttons are ok. i have about 10 other switches out so i think i need to trace issue.

thx

#1686 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure they're a blade / knife type physical switch much like the leaf ones yes, they're not particularly fancy.

Here's the part if you just want to replace them. It's a little bit of a soldering job, but not bad. You can make it a 2 beer job if you slow down and take your time.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5641-12724-00

#1687 5 years ago

Just wanted to share a few pics of the black powdercoat and mirror blades I just installed...

20180519_203346 (resized).jpg20180519_203346 (resized).jpg

20180519_203303 (resized).jpg20180519_203303 (resized).jpg

20180519_203446 (resized).jpg20180519_203446 (resized).jpg

20180519_203245 (resized).jpg20180519_203245 (resized).jpg

20180519_203437 (resized).jpg20180519_203437 (resized).jpg

20180519_203233 (resized).jpg20180519_203233 (resized).jpg

20180519_203223 (resized).jpg20180519_203223 (resized).jpg

20180519_203210 (resized).jpg20180519_203210 (resized).jpg

#1688 5 years ago

looks good.

Anyone have a close up the board the fish topper is mounted to..Mine seems to be very thick and Im not getting much motion from the fish tail as the plunger seems to have to go too far to reach it...any pics?

#1689 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

looks good.
Anyone have a close up the board the fish topper is mounted to..Mine seems to be very thick and Im not getting much motion from the fish tail as the plunger seems to have to go too far to reach it...any pics?

Mines all taken apart, if you look closely at thickness, the plastic makes it kind of look wider, but it’s 1/2 inch

4FB63C16-114A-48DE-BFF8-94F3211F1034 (resized).jpeg4FB63C16-114A-48DE-BFF8-94F3211F1034 (resized).jpeg
4DF5BF20-1DB5-4557-BA81-EFF7122442F9 (resized).jpeg4DF5BF20-1DB5-4557-BA81-EFF7122442F9 (resized).jpeg

113DE5D8-06F4-4485-A83F-011229AA8C73 (resized).jpeg113DE5D8-06F4-4485-A83F-011229AA8C73 (resized).jpeg
A9F412D3-1FC6-448F-8383-4DC57EA191AA (resized).jpegA9F412D3-1FC6-448F-8383-4DC57EA191AA (resized).jpeg

#1690 5 years ago

thx northern dude. looks like mine is waterlogged mine is 1 1/4. that explains why my plunger isn’t hitting fish

how hard to make a board ?

303AD51E-B317-4EE6-A6E7-1865C50E2500 (resized).jpeg303AD51E-B317-4EE6-A6E7-1865C50E2500 (resized).jpeg

640F2E5A-5A6E-4DCF-81D2-1C59739F3E8B (resized).jpeg640F2E5A-5A6E-4DCF-81D2-1C59739F3E8B (resized).jpeg

#1691 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

how hard to make a board

It wouldn't be too hard to create one no, main thing is getting all the mounting holes for brackets, etc lined up where you need them. You would also need to replace the front water decal or possibly remove the old one to re-use. You could also carefully chisel out part of the board where the bracket for the coil sits (perhaps 5mm), hence making the coil sit in closer, food for thought

#1692 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

It wouldn't be too hard to create one no, main thing is getting all the mounting holes for brackets, etc lined up where you need them. You would also need to replace the front water decal or possibly remove the old one to re-use. You could also carefully chisel out part of the board where the bracket for the coil sits (perhaps 5mm), hence making the coil sit in closer, food for thought

the large plastic cover for the board? it’s just stapled on and mine is loose

#1693 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

the large plastic cover for the board? it’s just stapled on and mine is loose

Yeah that's the bit i meant. Further back in the pages of this club thread someone also posted several options for that scenery as well if you wanted to get it printed out/laminated.

#1694 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Yeah that's the bit i meant. Further back in the pages of this club thread someone also posted several options for that scenery as well if you wanted to get it printed out/laminated.

thx. anyone know what kind of wood it is? particleboard? plywood? a laminate ?

#1695 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx. anyone know what kind of wood it is? particleboard? plywood? a laminate ?

I think it's possibly MDF or an equivalent particleboard anyway. I'd be going for a nice plywood if you want to make one or even a hardwood perhaps?

#1696 5 years ago

Or, you could just replace the plunger with one that is longer.

#1697 5 years ago
Quoted from justdavid:

That would work too but depends on how much extra length is needed (i'm tipping it's not a lot) and the increments in plunger size lengths.

#1698 5 years ago
Quoted from justdavid:

Or, you could re-bend/shorten this right angle in the bracket.

c738f0050bd422551091981ce07d364fac445148 (resized).jpegc738f0050bd422551091981ce07d364fac445148 (resized).jpeg

#1699 5 years ago

Thx for all the ideas...the board is water logged. I'm selling game for about 2500 as a nice player with rough cab so I want it to be as nice as possible. It would bug me to sell as is. PF is in great shape. Just needs a cab decals and refurb...

#1700 5 years ago

Catapult metal sheild for sale.
NOS from marco's maybe 6 years ago.
$25 plus shipping.
Pm me if interested.
Figured Id give the club first crack at it.
Rare hard to find part.
Few super minor scartches from storeing in shoe box forever.
Thanks Eric

20180522_082153 (resized).jpg20180522_082153 (resized).jpg
20180522_082203 (resized).jpg20180522_082203 (resized).jpg
20180522_082219 (resized).jpg20180522_082219 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,566 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.