Topic Stats

• 1,789 posts
  • 288 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by Kneissl
  • Topic is favorited by 107 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 601 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC03667 (resized).JPG
DSC03668 (resized).JPG
IMG_5594 (resized).JPG
IMG_5593 (resized).JPG
20180610_141748 (resized).jpg
32381124_10215980076878803_6862003248056762368_o (resized).jpg
BADEA7E9-B318-4F07-AC0E-ECCA6B3CA7E6 (resized).jpeg
B0A77055-D114-4098-8BA7-A7F22E32CCF5 (resized).jpeg
20180606_224104 (resized).jpg
20180613_001117 (resized).jpg
20180612_003419 (resized).jpg
20180606_184444 (resized).jpg
20180603_015305 (resized).jpg
20180603_013039 (resized).jpg
20180607_180214 (resized).jpg
IANFT (resized).jpg

There are 1789 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 36.
#1301 7 months ago

Hey all, I have a problem, I didn't take it to another repair thread yet, thought i'd check here first.

I have had my FT for about 18 mos, my lights are not progressing up as I hit the long cast to advance the captive ball. I have one bulb kinda of too bright, maybe one flickering a bit and it seems to run through bulbs way quicker than anything else. Could I have something wrong with my bulb matrix or something else? It's only in that place I have a bulb issue.

Edit- it’s the captive ball 5 lights and the LIE lights, they all just kind of flicker a bit and stay on

Any help or thoughts would be great, thx

#1302 7 months ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I have one bulb kinda of too bright, maybe one flickering a bit and it seems to run through bulbs way quicker than anything else.

I assume you went through the individual bulb test in the diagnostics, if not, do that to identify anything odd.

Cold solder joints on the header connector on the lamp board might make it dim. It's easy enough to reflow the solder on those. If you measure the AC and DC voltage at the bright lamp, is it normal?

#1303 7 months ago

I will be joining the club again tomorrow...yay!

#1304 7 months ago

Has anyone tried out the LED ColorDMD in a Fish Tales yet?

#1305 7 months ago

allibaster its a must! Such a wonderful game for it. Im restoring one and that item is the top of the list for me. I have played a fish tales with a LED and its awesome!, personally I like the LCD.

I have one in my indy, but i'm sure either woul dlook amazing on this game.

#1306 7 months ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

allibaster its a must! Such a wonderful game for it. Im restoring one and that item is the top of the list for me. I have played a fish tales with a LED and its awesome!, personally I like the LCD.
I have one in my indy, but i'm sure either woul dlook amazing on this game.

I know the lcd allows you to control the dot size and stuff like that but are the colors better on lcd than led? I have a friend with an Addams family led colordmd and the skin tones are pretty pinkish. I’m on the fence. Sell me on the lcd

#1307 7 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I assume you went through the individual bulb test in the diagnostics, if not, do that to identify anything odd.
Cold solder joints on the header connector on the lamp board might make it dim. It's easy enough to reflow the solder on those. If you measure the AC and DC voltage at the bright lamp, is it normal?

Done the individual lamp test. ALL bulbs work for that. But, I have reservations about that. When doing each bulb that IS NOT one of the "Hold Bonus/Video Mode/Lite Xtra Ball,/Etc. OR one of the L. I. E.

Each bulb that lights up, ONE of the L, I, E, etc, lights up along with the one I have chosen from the Playfield.
SO, for example, if I light up "Doubles Jackpot", "Lite Xtra Ball" will be also on.

While playing game, all of the captive ball bulbs will be on during gameplay, then then burn out quite quickly.

#1308 7 months ago

northerndude it's sounds like you may have a lamp matrix issue. The lamp matrix consists of rows and columns of light strands. So if a resistor is bad in the lamp matrix it can result in multiple lights turning on when only one should.

#1309 7 months ago

Yup, and the fact the lights are burning out, maybe a flasher is touching a small bulb near the captive ball lamps. There are a bunch of flashers in the captive ball area.

#1310 7 months ago

Recently had an issue where balls would load into the reel but once MB started the reel would just spin. Eventually the balls would spit out. The game wouldn’t register the spinner or the jackpot award. Went into switch test and found several switches in the same matrix were not registering. Re-seated that matrix connector and all was back to normal.

#1311 7 months ago

Joined the club today. Any must have mods or things to do on FT I need to know about?

#1312 7 months ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Joined the club today. Any must have mods or things to do on FT I need to know about?

Welcome! I recommend installing large washers on the two posts at the front of the boat plastic to protect it. (like used on slings) An LED kit looks nice in FT with cool white GI. Plenty of ways to dress it up, like powder coated or chrome armor, Color DMD, mirror/art blades. Mods are personal preference.

#1313 7 months ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Congratulations! As Neal_W said, mods are personal preference, so this is just my opinion, but of the mods that I have done (and there are several), ColorDMD is probably my favorite, in a virtual tie with the Monster Fish mod made by theGiven (Pinside member) (well made and easy to install). There are other nice ones out there, and you can get plastic protectors for the slings and boat plastic as an alternative to using washers (again, just a personal preference as to the method but again, as Neal_W suggested, some type of protection for the boat plastic is a must).

#1314 7 months ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I'm in the same "boat". Picked up a Fish Tales yesterday. It's a bit of a project but included a lot of extras including a new boat playfield, all new plastic set, plastic protectors, and a few other things. Very excited!

IMG_0086 (resized).jpg

#1315 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I'm in the same "boat". Picked up a Fish Tales yesterday. It's a bit of a project but included a lot of extras including a new boat playfield, all new plastic set, plastic protectors, and a few other things. Very excited!

Looks to be in usual shape for a FT machine, decal fade is normal for these and yours isn't as faded as mine is. If your machine isn't working then get it operational and enjoy, absolutely fun machine to play

#1316 7 months ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Cheap Mods...
Boat Ramp Protector
Monster Fish - Creature from the Bottomless Lake Figure
Illuminated Launch Button
Piece of foam to reduce the noise of the topper

Expensive Mods...
ColorDMD

#1317 7 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Cheap Mods...
ColorDMD

What is this? what noise does the topper make? lpeters82

#1318 7 months ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

What is this? what noise does the topper make? lpeters82

Bap bap bap bap bap....

It's like a knocker. I kind of like it, at least for now.

#1319 7 months ago

I bought a simple toggle switch for it, I have kids, IT IS LOUD! Keep it on for normal play, turn it off when needed.

It's loud enough that if I lived in a shared building and someone had a FT with the fish knocker going,I would drag them out of their apartment and beat them

#1320 7 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Cheap Mods...
Boat Ramp Protector
Expensive Mods...
ColorDMD

Is there a mod for the gun for a launch button or what?

#1321 7 months ago

I bought a simple toggle switch for it, I have kids, IT IS LOUD! Keep it on for normal play, turn it off when needed.
It's loud enough that if I lived in a shared building and someone had a FT with the fish knocker going,I would drag them out of their apartment and beat them

That’s an awesome idea! I mostly keep mine off because it is loud as hell. One of the coolest toppers in pinball though.

#1322 7 months ago

I had a couple extras on my recent purchase I'm not going to use. PM me if you're interested.

Full LED kit from pinball.co.uk with 180 LEDs. Normally $170. Price is $100 shipped in using PayPal friends and family. Add $4 otherwise.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/57587

(SOLD) Full rubber kit from Marcos Specialties in white. Price is $10 shipped in using PayPal friends and family. Add $1 otherwise.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/57588

#1323 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I had a couple extras on my recent purchase I'm not going to use. PM me if you're interested.
Full LED kit from pinball.co.uk with 180 LEDs. Normally $170. Price is $100 shipped in using PayPal friends and family. Add $4 otherwise.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/57587
Full rubber kit from Marcos Specialties in white. Price is $10 shipped in using PayPal friends and family. Add $1 otherwise.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/57588

I sent you a PM on the Rubber. I was just getting ready to order a set lol

#1324 7 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Welcome! I recommend installing large washers on the two posts at the front of the boat plastic to protect it. (like used on slings) An LED kit looks nice in FT with cool white GI. Plenty of ways to dress it up, like powder coated or chrome armor, Color DMD, mirror/art blades. Mods are personal preference.

Thanks for the info. Where do the washers go, on the bottom of the boat plastic where the captive ball is?

Quoted from lpeters82:

Cheap Mods...
Boat Ramp Protector
Expensive Mods...
ColorDMD

This? http://www.dziedzic.us/cast_button.html

...and the foam goes where on the fish topper, where the plunger hits it?

#1325 7 months ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Thanks for the info. Where do the washers go, on the bottom of the boat plastic where the captive ball is?

Yes, you can imagine balls hit there all the time. I frequently see it broken.

#1326 7 months ago

theplaynone I totally agree I have wanted one forever and finally picked one up... it's in restore mode and when I am done it will never leave my collection either. yours looks great! My current state brand new paint, sanded, new ground braid in.

c50ed5fcaee0e688e7139e064bf3a1cb52dbfa74.jpeg (resized).jpg

#1327 7 months ago

Is there a mod for the gun for a launch button or what?

I used a Stern tournament button on my last machine, but you could use any illuminated button you like. The wires are already there but it was removed as a cost saving measure during production. I thought the tournament button worked since the game is basically a fishing tournament.

Quoted from mavantix:

...and the foam goes where on the fish topper, where the plunger hits it?

I honestly don't remember exactly how I did it. I think it was perhaps just a few pieces of stick on foam tape.

#1328 7 months ago

I'm going to add some colored Titan rubbers to my FT.

Does anyone have any color combination recommendations or photos?

#1329 7 months ago

Another question....

What are you guys doing for the five topper GI LEDs? Flexes pointed at the fish maybe?

#1330 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I'm going to add some colored Titan rubbers to my FT.
Does anyone have any color combination recommendations or photos?

TITAN glow on mine - happy with them. Plus green convolux protectors.

IMG_1853 (resized).JPG

#1331 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Another question....
What are you guys doing for the five topper GI LEDs? Flexes pointed at the fish maybe?

I put in 5 slow color change led’s. I like it

1 week later
#1332 7 months ago

Doing a deep clean on my new Fish Tales today.

Will reassemble with all new plastics, new rubber, new boat playfield, some new decals, and new LEDs!

IMG_0123 (resized).jpg

#1333 7 months ago

Anyone has a spare translite for sale?

Archived after 42 days
Unknown reason:
Parts - Wanted
Wanted! “Looking for a new or like new fish tales translite, either original or 3D perhaps. PM me pic and price of what you got. Thanks!”
2018-01-28
Gainesville, VA
Wanted

#1334 7 months ago

What's everyone's opinion on the clear ramp decals? I kind of the like inside decals, but the outside decals seem too prominent and distracting to me. Thinking about taking them off....

IMG_0135 (resized).jpeg

IMG_0136 (resized).jpeg

#1335 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

What's everyone's opinion on the clear ramp decals? I kind of the like inside decals, but the outside decals seem too prominent and distracting to me. Thinking about taking them off....

Not a fan of either. They draw attention to the ramp, which I think is wrong.

#1336 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

opinion on the clear ramp decals?

not for me either

#1337 7 months ago

I dont like them.

#1338 7 months ago

I took them off. Looks much better now!

#1339 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Agreed. Never really liked them.

#1340 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Thank you. And don't ever, ever, ever do that again.

#1341 7 months ago

I finished getting my FT back together. Plays super fast and smooth, but I keep getting rejects from the ball lock. It pops back out about 50%-60% of the time.

Any one else experience this? Any ideas on how to resolve the problem?

#1342 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I finished getting my FT back together. Plays super fast and smooth, but I keep getting rejects from the ball lock. It pops back out about 50%-60% of the time.
Any one else experience this? Any ideas on how to resolve the problem?

Either opto alignment or switch.

#1343 7 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Either opto alignment or switch.

The ball physically won't stay in there long enough for the VUK to catch it. It just rattles out. Not a switch/opto issue, just won't stay seated.

#1344 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

but I keep getting rejects from the ball lock.

There should be a one way wire gate at the entrance to the casters club. (behind the drop target)

Sounds like yours is missing or bent and stuck in the up position.

#1345 7 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

The ball physically won't stay in there long enough for the VUK to catch it. It just rattles out. Not a switch/opto issue, just won't stay seated.

Sorry, i was thinking reel and catapult.
Ok, one more idea. Have you removed vuk recently? If so, did you reinstall without washers?, lowers post to allow more depth on vuk.

#1346 6 months ago

Thanks. The plunger was binding up and staying up. I replaced the coil sleeve and trimmed up the plunger. Was a project, though. The dowel was a nail that was bent on each side. Some creativity and lots of tools fixed it. Got it working!

Another question: What's a good source for instruction cards? I downloaded some, but they were Stern sized and don't fit the Williams apron. See Photo.

IMG_0139 (resized).jpg

#1347 6 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Another question: What's a good source for instruction cards? I downloaded some, but they were Stern sized and don't fit the Williams apron. See Photo

I believe the ones you have got there can be scaled when you print them out, so you can do them different sizes. It's been a while since i did mine so i can't remember exactly the process sorry.
Edit* Ok, just looked on his site, you have to select "Do not scale" in your printer settings.

#1348 6 months ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I believe the ones you have got there can be scaled when you print them out, so you can do them different sizes. It's been a while since i did mine so i can't remember exactly the process sorry.
Edit* Ok, just looked on his site, you have to select "Do not scale" in your printer settings.

I got them reprinted without the scaling. Thank you!

#1349 6 months ago

I've added a couple Fish Tales items to the market. PM if interested.

Playfield protector set in individual pieces ($30) - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/58339
Right slingshot plastic ($15) - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/58338

#1350 6 months ago

Anyone powder coat there wire form set?
Did you like it, what color?
Thinking of doing them in blue and green.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pasadena, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 21.00
$ 15.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 239.99
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, NY
$ 28.00
$ 170.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
There are 1789 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 36.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside