Topic Stats

• 2,401 posts
  • 342 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Wmsfan
  • Topic is favorited by 133 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 788 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1999E162-5516-427F-AF95-14BF0BC290FF (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190616_110633856 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190615_190952736 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190613_221322475 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190613_221355637 (resized).jpg
D0ED46FF-5901-42BB-B6A2-866F04927C3A (resized).png
13447F65-2639-42DE-92A9-D1AFA50AEB19 (resized).jpeg
3360DEBA-D1BA-4DAA-A538-BC3BE716AAB8 (resized).jpeg

There are 2401 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 49.
#701 3 years ago

I have had my fish tales for years, and was reading on pinside that the drop target not going down is a common problem. Sure enough I tested mine last night, and had the same issue. I ordered a new Actuator arm, looks like mine was broke. Will let you know how it turns out.

#702 3 years ago

Haven't been through the whole thread, so pardonnez moi if it's already been posted:

#703 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Haven't been through the whole thread, so pardonnez moi if it's already been posted:

I'd not seen this before, confirms what i had suspected though, the button on my shooter handle wasn't original

#704 3 years ago

Anyone have the fish tales rom file with LED ghost and extra ball patch applied? Please PM me.

#705 3 years ago

ok, i have had my fish tales for awhile now, and i always felt something just wasnt right. When you hit the fish on the right or left side to light the big center fish and the truth meter, whenever I shoot the spinner it almost always does nothing. The lights are flashing, he says his little line about having one on there or its in the net, but when i shoot thaty shot nothing happens. Once in a while it will do it, but thats about 5% of the time. I took the glass off to try it out, click the targets to light the fish, and then roll it up there but nothing. I knwo the spinner is working because monster always works.

#706 3 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

ok, i have had my fish tales for awhile now, and i always felt something just wasnt right. When you hit the fish on the right or left side to light the big center fish and the truth meter, whenever I shoot the spinner it almost always does nothing. The lights are flashing, he says his little line about having one on there or its in the net, but when i shoot thaty shot nothing happens. Once in a while it will do it, but thats about 5% of the time. I took the glass off to try it out, click the targets to light the fish, and then roll it up there but nothing. I knwo the spinner is working because monster always works.

Go into test mode and manually test the switches in question. If they are intermittent, contacts need cleaned, adjusted. If you are referring to standups surface corrosion and oxidation can cause these same issues, along with failing diodes. Start simple.

#707 3 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

When you hit the fish on the right or left side to light the big center fish and the truth meter, whenever I shoot the spinner it almost always does nothing.

It is working correctly. For the MONSTER FISH bonus you hit the spinner. For the FISH FINDER bonus, the ball has to go past the spinner and hit the saucer in the upper right.

1 week later
#708 3 years ago

Is anyone still waiting to hear from CPR about their Fish Tales reservation? I reserved mine a while ago and, I think, early on, but I have yet to hear from them. I know I have the emails that stated that I am on the list ... anyone else still waiting?

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from CPR about their Fish Tales reservation? I reserved mine a while ago and, I think, early on, but I have yet to hear from them. I know I have the emails that stated that I am on the list ... anyone else still waiting?

There a lot of customers waiting so just hang in there.

#710 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

It is working correctly. For the MONSTER FISH bonus you hit the spinner. For the FISH FINDER bonus, the ball has to go past the spinner and hit the saucer in the upper right.

Newp. It does not, at least not on my game..unsure what code rev. is on there. When you hit the spinner the spins determines where the lie stops at...if you don't make the saucer you still get the award, you just don't get the benefit of an additional fish finder if it's lit, or a breather if it's not.

#711 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

There a lot of customers waiting so just hang in there.

I'm hanging in there . I've bought many playfields from CPR ... I was just wondering if I missed an email or something . Thanks for the info!

#712 3 years ago

Yo! A guy i know have a problem with his Fish Tales:

"No fuses blows and the "flippers" works sporadically during games. It can flip a couple of times, then on the "third" time, they both just die. The game doesnt reset or something like that, but without flippers the balls just runs down and I have to just run all three games with dead flippers .. It does not want to collect the balls for multiball sometimes either. Also when i shoot one ball into the ball-save the game just pushes it back out right away instead of saving it. I have a whole bunch of thumbs in the middle of my hand when it comes to poking around inside a pinball and especially have no patient when stuff dont work so im getting a little frustrated here ... I have bought and changed the ribbon cable on the advice of the seller, but that made no difference, unfortunately .."

I would say switch problems or even board problems? But i have no idea if i can help him fix it since i have yet to touch a Fish Tale IRL.

#713 3 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Yo! A guy i know have a problem with his Fish Tales:
"No fuses blows and the "flippers" works sporadically during games. It can flip a couple of times, then on the "third" time, they both just die. The game doesnt reset or something like that, but without flippers the balls just runs down and I have to just run all three games with dead flippers .. It does not want to collect the balls for multiball sometimes either. Also when i shoot one ball into the ball-save the game just pushes it back out right away instead of saving it. I have a whole bunch of thumbs in the middle of my hand when it comes to poking around inside a pinball and especially have no patient when stuff dont work so im getting a little frustrated here ... I have bought and changed the ribbon cable on the advice of the seller, but that made no difference, unfortunately .."
I would say switch problems or even board problems? But i have no idea if i can help him fix it since i have yet to touch a Fish Tale IRL.

First take a hard look at the EoS on both flipper assemblies, especially for corrosion.
Next, begin testing the Williams WPC89 Fliptronics II Flipper board (Board #A-15472), which in this case is the more likely of problems over the flipper opto boards next to the buttons, but should also be tested and checked for colder solder joints and opto issues.
It is a bit difficult to do the full "lay of the land" on text of the full diagnostic procedures, but these are your most likely sources in this case, in order.

#714 3 years ago

Thanks, i'll let him know this.

#715 3 years ago

So i added 4 spotlights to my machine (2 either side on top of the slings), hooked into the GI, and initially looked awesome, sure lit up that dark area in the center of the machine. However upon starting a game, BAM, all the playfield GI went out. I checked what i suspected and sure enough blown fuse at 106. I de-soldered the spots, whacked in a new fuse and now alright so it wasn't a short that caused it but most likely an overload.
My tech question is this >> On my Judge Dredd machine i have a total of 7 spots all tied into the GI circuit and haven't had any issues in well over a year (nearly 2), any particular reason why FT would be more fragile when it comes to adding spots to the GI circuit? As far as i'm aware both machines are virtually the same when it comes down to the GI, etc. I also have all the star posts lit on both machines (also attached to the GI) Any Ideas??? The only thing that is different on the FT compared to Dredd normally is that during attract mode all the GI turns off for a little while whilst it cycles the playfield lights. Surely that wouldn't make the difference??

#716 3 years ago

Shouldn't be an issue really. Do you use bulbs or leds?
Are you sure your installation isn't shorting anything?

#717 3 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Shouldn't be an issue really. Do you use bulbs or leds?
Are you sure your installation isn't shorting anything?

Using LED's and after de-soldering the spots the machine has been left on for 4 hours now and played a few games as well

#718 3 years ago

Perhaps you can put two spots on one GI string and the other two on another GI string and that could take care of your overload.

#719 3 years ago

My Fish Tales resets in the middle of multiball or feeding frenzy. Anyone had this problem and how to correct it?

#720 3 years ago

Try reseating the plugs, you can confirm its 5v if you have a meter. If it is rebuild that section.. if you're not tech savvy odds are this will fix it
http://www.kahr.us/

#721 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

if you're not tech savvy odds are this will fix it...http://www.kahr.us/

Just a general statement.
It is better to learn how to repair machines than using "quick fixes".
A machine is not going to get any younger as years roll by.
I don't hate the product, I just don't like the premise concept.
Owners are simply advised to ignore and avoid existing problems, and potentially adding more down the line.
This is only a few steps above hacking.

This is a little different than DMD extenders are that are used simply to avoid an outgassing display which eventually is unusable, which in a pinch make more sense.

#722 3 years ago

Some people just aren't going to learn to repair. If you've never used a soldering iron and don't want to pay someone to fix it, I think the kahr is a great option. He also does a good job of explaining how it works on his website.

Not all hacks are bad. there are some great hacks out there, and if you want to call this a hack it's a pretty elegant one.

If you have an interest in learning i think the pin wiki has a good write up on chasing down the rebooting WPC problem.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#723 3 years ago

Just an update on the mystery, i've got it sorted now although i'm not sure of the technical issue that caused it. The right side double spots are wired into the under sling LED GI socket (which is yellow/white wire), the left side double spots were wired into the GI socket that is one of the back ball guide one's (has yellow wires and violet/white). I swapped the left spots over to one of the sling sockets (same string as the right side) and it's been fine ever since. NO IDEA why to be honest, if it was an overload you would think the extra set of spots on the same yellow/white string would create the same issue. I've not had the extra time to follow up on just what is allocated on the violet/white string but for some reason the 2 spots were pushing it over the edge. I guess this is a good lesson for anyone wanting to add extra lighting into the system but i'm hoping someone can provide a more detailed technical explanation as to the reasons why it occurred. I also added a 12 volt LED strip behind the flippers to finish off that portion behind the scope of the lower facing spots. The pic looks super bright but that's just my camera adjusting to the lack of ambient light (it's very good at low light shooting). All the room lights were turned off and the only thing on was the FT machine.

DSC02264_(resized).JPG

#724 3 years ago

Picture request. Would someone take a picture of the wiring to their left boat ramp exit switch? The one in the plastic ramp? My wires broke off when I had it all apart. I soldered it back on but I think I've got it wrong. The switch registers, but it also registers as a hit to the left fish targets. I guess the diode could be bad, but I think it's just wired wrong.

#725 3 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Picture request. Would someone take a picture of the wiring to their left boat ramp exit switch? The one in the plastic ramp? My wires broke off when I had it all apart. I soldered it back on but I think I've got it wrong. The switch registers, but it also registers as a hit to the left fish targets. I guess the diode could be bad, but I think it's just wired wrong.

Just compare it to other switches and wire it the same way. If something else is registering when you hit that switch, then your diode isn't soldered on the right way or miswiring somehow...

#726 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Just compare it to other switches and wire it the same way. If something else is registering when you hit that switch, then your diode isn't soldered on the right way or miswiring somehow...

Yeah, I tried matching the other side at first, that didn't register at all. I'll take another look, it could be a bad diode.

#727 3 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Yeah, I tried matching the other side at first, that didn't register at all. I'll take another look, it could be a bad diode.

Edit: If that diode is bad and blocking electrical flow in both directions, that would explain why it wasn't working when wired up the same as the other side.

#728 3 years ago

Not sure what the problem was originally. I soldered the wires up to match the other switch and the switch works fine.

#729 3 years ago

#730 3 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

My Fish Tales resets in the middle of multiball or feeding frenzy. Anyone had this problem and how to correct it?

Solved: Just reseated all the connectors and seems to work fine now

#731 3 years ago

If anybody is interested I have a CPR gold playfield that I don't think I will be using. If wanted I will let it go for what I paid CPR plus shipping to you. Just shoot me a PM.

#732 3 years ago

CPR did a good job on the FT PF

I bought a gold one too

#733 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

CPR did a good job on the FT PF
I bought a gold one too

Yes they did it is beautiful.

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

If anybody is interested I have a CPR gold playfield that I don't think I will be using. If wanted I will let it go for what I paid CPR plus shipping to you. Just shoot me a PM.

Interested ... PM sent

1 week later
#735 3 years ago

anybody knows where i can find a list with all of the call outs?

#736 3 years ago

Picture request! I need to double check the wiring of the drop target down coil, would someone be so kind as to snap a quick pic for me?

I hear it trying to do something in test mode, but it's not actuating the arm to knock the target down and when I watch it with the pf lifted, nothing is happening visually. No movement at all.

I checked the arm, and it felt like it was a tad hung up against the metal bracket assembly, but after bending it ever so slightly to clear the friction zone, it's still not actuating.

I'm wondering if the coil isn't wired backwards? Or maybe it's toast? Paper wrapper looks ok, but right above the coil terminals on the underside of the pf, there's what looks to be solder flux? or some other residue, which makes me think there may have been a repair mistake.

Thank you!

#737 3 years ago
Quoted from gdogfunk:

I checked the arm, and it felt like it was a tad hung up against the metal bracket assembly, but after bending it ever so slightly to clear the friction zone, it's still not actuating.

It is common for the spring to be a little tight, and the coil fails to pull that metal bracket in.

Pics here..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-drop-target

#738 3 years ago
Quoted from gdogfunk:

Picture request! I need to double check the wiring of the drop target down coil, would someone be so kind as to snap a quick pic for me?
I hear it trying to do something in test mode, but it's not actuating the arm to knock the target down and when I watch it with the pf lifted, nothing is happening visually. No movement at all.
I'm wondering if the coil isn't wired backwards? Or maybe it's toast? Paper wrapper looks ok, but right above the coil terminals on the underside of the pf, there's what looks to be solder flux? or some other residue, which makes me think there may have been a repair mistake.
Thank you!

On both of the FTs I've owned, the arm was angled upwards and would get jammed on the metal bracket. I'd suspect this first.

IMG_3074_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#739 3 years ago

Anyone start installing their new CPR playfield yet? Should be a fun project, go slow and label everything.

Chris

#740 3 years ago

I have read here on pinside that a couple of playfields have been swapped already and have worked out great.

Quoted from CFoote:

Anyone start installing their new CPR playfield yet? Should be a fun project, go slow and label everything.
Chris

#741 3 years ago

Anyone grab an extra CPR playfield or have one that they don't need?

#742 3 years ago

Any idea if they have finished sending them out. I was on the reserve list and wondered if I should have heard anything by now

#743 3 years ago

Just put a few games on the FT I have at my parents place. Man it is such a better game than T2 which I keep in my house. So brutal too! Hitting the casters club is such a satisfying clunk.

#744 3 years ago

anyone privately thinking about selling their FT? shoot me a pm, please.

#745 3 years ago

Question for the club?
How much should someone charge for the complete topper? Light bar, dome with decals, and complete working fish. Also has on off switch installed if you want to turn fish off late at night, as to not wake family.
Thanks for help.

#746 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

How much should someone charge for the complete topper?

A guy had one for sale on here 2yrs ago for $500, which seems high, but not if you want it bad enough I guess. If you were patient and asked around, you might find a cheap one. Owners with low ceilings have to remove them. Maybe $400 if I was selling.

You could piece it together.
new fish - $51 from BAM
new dome - $90 from Marco
shell decal - $8
tail coil unit - $39 (basically knocker hardware)

You could make the rest. Someone posted various water decal options for behind the fish. Back board, lamps and eye flasher and sockets, cables, connectors, shelf bracket, foil padding for inside the top of the dome, and misc hardware. Sounds like about $250+ in parts and your time.

#747 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

You could make the rest. Someone posted various water decal options for behind the fish

Thanks for your list. About what I was thinking.
Someone on eBay had one but changed his mind and ended listing.
Has anyone RE-made the underwater background for fish yet?

#748 3 years ago
#749 3 years ago

I'm in the club, but I have to say I'm not really impressed with FT. This maybe a quick turnaround and sell.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#750 3 years ago

no topper. that's why.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Concord, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
MONSTERFISH MODS
$ 21.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
3,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Greenwich, RI
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Akron, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fredonia, NY
There are 2401 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 49.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside