IMG_2482 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2481 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2480 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240613_172129 (resized).jpg
Plastic fish for Fish Tales Topper A-15713 (resized).jpg
ft4 (resized).jpg
ft3 (resized).jpg
There are 5,716 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 115.
#5651 59 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I've had a fish Tales for about 10 years, and never realized this! I had to play a few games last night just to see it for myself!

I’ve had mine over 15 years and the same, will be checking this out later!
Always thought it was a bit weird lol

#5652 59 days ago

Yup, I remember a year ago seeing only 4 lamps lit and assumed the bottom bulb was not working, and then noting all 5 worked in attract mode and learning there was a rule for that after owning it for 8yrs.

#5653 56 days ago

Hey there! Trying to locate a missing link in a switch matrix on the first row. Our arcade's FT has Cast and Slam Tilt working, but the Captive Ball, Extra Ball and Left Bumper aren't.

I tried to look around to find the disconnected cable, but the one between the playfield ones and Slam + Cast is quite a way away.

Can somebody confirm from where it is supposed to connect from, and to what is it connected to? E.g. is it connecting from Slam Tilt to the Captive Ball or from Cast to EB, or something like that?

#5654 55 days ago
Quoted from LePopHumper:

Trying to locate a missing link in a switch matrix on the first row.

The break could be anywhere in the harness between the cabinet and the playfield, which is hard to track down other than inspecting the white with brown wire in the harness.

It might be easiest to run a second wire to get those 3 switches working. If you connected a jumper wire from the white with brown from the working slam tilt to one of the nonworking switches white with brown wire, that would complete the circuit.

#5655 55 days ago

Also keep in mind - the Slam tilt and the 'Cast' (ball-launch button?) is on the cabinet, not the playfield - cabinet switches use a whole different plug on the MPU board; so no wiring is shared between them and the playfield switches on the same row.

#5656 52 days ago

Hey fellow casters!

I had a note to post when more color displays were available, and I have a summer special going $250 shipped with license, activation, and power harness included. Here are some pics:

ft1 (resized).jpgft1 (resized).jpgft2 (resized).jpgft2 (resized).jpgft4 (resized).jpgft4 (resized).jpgft3 (resized).jpgft3 (resized).jpg

Please PM me if you have any interest and thanks for looking!

Pete

#5657 51 days ago

Occasionally when I turn my game on the flippers lock on and blow the F112 seven amp secondary fuse. Once the game boots, I can start a game, but I can’t get the ball to release from the trough or use the flippers. It’s a simple matter of changing a seven amp fuse, but what could be causing this? Oddly enough, my roadshow was doing the same thing and I have the boards in to Eugene to address, but I’m curious as to why it’s happening on my Fishtales now almost exactly the same way

#5658 50 days ago
Quoted from Scroat:

blow the F112 seven amp secondary fuse

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC

Info and how to troubleshoot:

TP6
50VDC power. This test point will actually measure 70 - 75VDC, which is normal and expected. This power is used for all coils in the game including the flippers. This power is fused by F112. Individual coil power circuits are fused by F101 thru F105. F112 protects both BR3 and the bridge rectifier circuit on the FlipTronic II board.

Should F112 blow, remove J104 (or J105). Replace the fuse. Power on. If the fuse blows, BR3 has probably failed. If it holds, the bridge rectifier on the FlipTronics II board has probably failed.

#5659 46 days ago

Soft rubber fish toppers are available again from Pinball Haus on our Pinside Shop.
US$149

https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1026-pinball-haus/10964-plastic-fish-for-fish-tales-topper-a-15713

Plastic fish for Fish Tales Topper A-15713 (resized).jpgPlastic fish for Fish Tales Topper A-15713 (resized).jpg
#5660 44 days ago

Anybody got a spare wireform switch cover to complete my game? It's the last piece I need. Hit me up if you do thanks!

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Hey all I'm looking for the cover for the reel wireform switch to complete my fishtales. It's the one with the lure decal on it that is right next to the reel mech. See pic for ref...”
51 days ago
Stillwater, NY
Expired!

#5661 44 days ago

Does anyone have an idea of when CPR might do another run of play fields? I added myself to the wait list, but patience isn't a strength of mine.
I know mirico makes them, but unless I can inspect it in person first, thier reputation has me concerned.

#5662 44 days ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Soft rubber fish toppers are available again from Pinball Haus on our Pinside Shop.
US$149
https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1026-pinball-haus/10964-plastic-fish-for-fish-tales-topper-a-15713[quoted image]

Does it have the metal strike plate for the tail coil plunger?

#5663 39 days ago
Quoted from Scroat:

Does it have the metal strike plate for the tail coil plunger?

It does.
I just got my fish from Daniel. It is very recommended.
Feels and looks very well.
Excellent seller.

IMG_20240613_172129 (resized).jpgIMG_20240613_172129 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5664 31 days ago
Quoted from Phoerber:

Hey fellow casters!
I had a note to post when more color displays were available, and I have a summer special going $250 shipped with license, activation, and power harness included. Here are some pics:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Pete

Bump. 2 left.

#5665 31 days ago

+1 for the Pin2DMD color display. Although I realize that they're not to everyone's taste compared to the Color DMD, at half the cost of the alternative I think they're definitely worth it and add a nice element to the game. I have installed in three different games and been very happy with them, and Pete is a great communicator along the way regarding the process.

#5666 31 days ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

MONSTER FISH !!!!!
[quoted image]

where did u get that?

#5667 31 days ago

You mean the one in the post from 10 years ago? lol

Quoted from PtownPin:where did u get that?

#5668 31 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

You mean the one in the post from 10 years ago? lol

That explains it

#5669 31 days ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

+1 for the Pin2DMD color display. Although I realize that they're not to everyone's taste compared to the Color DMD, at half the cost of the alternative I think they're definitely worth it and add a nice element to the game. I have installed in three different games and been very happy with them, and Pete is a great communicator along the way regarding the process.

Do they work on STNG?

#5671 31 days ago

Are they plug and play? i.e. direct swap for Williamd DCS

#5672 31 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Are they plug and play? i.e. direct swap for Williamd DCS

Do you mean a DCS sound board? No.
Pin2Dmd are DMD screens that you can use instead of the "old" plasma DMD screens.
You can find more information here : https://pin2dmd.com/

#5673 31 days ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Do you mean a DCS sound board? No.
Pin2Dmd are DMD screens that you can use instead of the "old" plasma DMD screens.
You can find more information here : https://pin2dmd.com/

I was referring to the Williams DCS era displays not the sound board. Thanks for the information

#5674 30 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Do they work on STNG?

A question for pinsider Phoerber.

#5675 30 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

where did u get that?

This is the beast of the bottomless lake from scooby doo, called Julie. For a while it was still available on aliexpress but now it's mostly just ebay. There are 2 sizes 2.5 and 5.5 inches I believe. The one pictured is the 2.5 inch. Obviously it doesn't come with LEDs for eyes, those were added manually.

#5676 30 days ago
Quoted from Roamin:

This is the beast of the bottomless lake from scooby doo, called Julie. For a while it was still available on aliexpress but now it's mostly just ebay. There are 2 sizes 2.5 and 5.5 inches I believe. The one pictured is the 2.5 inch. Obviously it doesn't come with LEDs for eyes, those were added manually.

Thanks...the large one is easy to find...its the small one thats a challenge...installing the LED's is pretty easy

#5677 30 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks...the large one is easy to find...its the small one thats a challenge...installing the LED's is pretty easy

Check your PM for an ebay link for the small one.
Edit: Here's the link for anyone else interested : ebay.com link: itm

#5678 25 days ago
Quoted from Phoerber:

Hey fellow casters!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Pete

Bump - Down to last one: $240 shipped.

#5679 23 days ago

Performing a “light” restoration on Fishtales and could use a couple of recommendations. I have a very original machine that is in great condition so I’m not tearing it down to the extent I did FunHouse, which was a multi-month, ground-up, replace everything restoration.

Who do you recommend for cabinet graphics? I don’t see them offered by many vendors. Any recommendations?
LEDs - I did the Comet kit in Funhouse with 2x OCD Boards. Same for FishTales? Do I need the OCDs? If so, both?

Thanks in advance!

#5680 22 days ago
Quoted from Lodi:

Performing a “light” restoration on Fishtales and could use a couple of recommendations. I have a very original machine that is in great condition so I’m not tearing it down to the extent I did FunHouse, which was a multi-month, ground-up, replace everything restoration.
Who do you recommend for cabinet graphics? I don’t see them offered by many vendors. Any recommendations?
LEDs - I did the Comet kit in Funhouse with 2x OCD Boards. Same for FishTales? Do I need the OCDs? If so, both?
Thanks in advance!

I’m currently coming to the end of restoring 3 Fish Tales and I used the cabinet decals from Mr Pinball in Australia.
The quality of them is amazing as was the fitment. Definitely the best ones I’ve used and seen for this game.
I believe HEP also uses decals from them as well.

In regards to LEDs, I used non ghosting Comets in 2 of the games and they looked great.

#5681 22 days ago
Quoted from Lodi:

Thanks in advance!

The GI OCD board sure makes a difference when using LEDs, otherwise the GI will kinda flicker when changing intensity. But , while playing there is nothing that changes the GI intensity. I believe the only time the intensity changes is when the ball drains. It's not an absolute must , but since Fish Tales is my only pinball (and my all time favorite) I didn't mind adding both OCD boards. As for the LED OCD, it might not be needed at all since you can either get anti-ghosting LEDs or apply the LED ghosting fix to the latest L-5 rom. There is the unofficial D-6 rom which has both the ghosting fix + the attract mode "extra ball" font fix. Using the LED OCD board does remove some stress from the PDB since what drives the LEDs now is the OCD..

#5682 22 days ago
Quoted from Roamin:

The GI OCD board sure makes a difference when using LEDs, otherwise the GI will kinda flicker when changing intensity. But , while playing there is nothing that changes the GI intensity. I believe the only time the intensity changes is when the ball drains. It's not an absolute must , but since Fish Tales is my only pinball (and my all time favorite) I didn't mind adding both OCD boards. As for the LED OCD, it might not be needed at all since you can either get anti-ghosting LEDs or apply the LED ghosting fix to the latest L-5 rom. There is the unofficial D-6 rom which has both the ghosting fix + the attract mode "extra ball" font fix. Using the LED OCD board does remove some stress from the PDB since what drives the LEDs now is the OCD..

I second this...get the new ROM as it works. My game has all warm white non ghosting LED's. I dont think paying extra for OCD boards is necessary. I dont notice any flicker on my game.

#5683 22 days ago
Quoted from Lodi:

Thanks in advance!

You can order L6 rom from Pinballrom.com. Works great, no flickering or ghosting when using LED bulbs on GI, Inserts, and Flashers. No need for OCD board.
https://www.pinballrom.com/cart-page?appSectionParams=%7B%22origin%22%3A%22cart-popup%22%7D&currency=USD

#5684 22 days ago

The LED’s turn on and off smoother with OCD type boards, yes you can stop the ghosting with the rom patch but it looks very stroby without the OCD or Afterglow board. I tried both of those boards. For the GI you will need the OCD board if it dims down to see the real dimming effect, can’t remember on this pin but on a CV I had the GI OCD board made a huge difference and dimmed the LED’s right down etc during GI effects.

#5685 22 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

The LED’s turn on and off smoother with OCD type boards, yes you can stop the ghosting with the rom patch but it looks very stroby without the OCD or Afterglow board. I tried both of those boards. For the GI you will need the OCD board if it dims down to see the real dimming effect, can’t remember on this pin but on a CV I had the GI OCD board made a huge difference and dimmed the LED’s right down etc during GI effects.

There is no doubt the OCD boards help on many games (like STNG). I honestly see zero strobing on my game, but that might be a Me issue? I'm not sure its a big issue on FT.

#5686 22 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Quoted from PtownPin:

There is no doubt the OCD boards help on many games (like STNG). I honestly see zero strobing on my game, but that might be a Me issue? I'm not sure its a big issue on FT.

I installed LEDs thought my FT machine pre L6 rom and experience ghosting. I then installed the L6 rom and now have zero strobing, ghosting. Easy fix and only cost $17. Perhaps L6 rom doesn't work the same on all FT machines but it worked on mine.

#5687 22 days ago
Quoted from phs4real:

I installed LEDs thought my FT machine pre L6 rom and experience ghosting. I then installed the L6 rom and now have zero strobing, ghosting. Easy fix and only cost $17. Perhaps L6 rom doesn't work the same on all FT machines but it worked on mine.

I have the same ROM in my game....I don't have any strobing or ghosting .... If I was converting my game I would buy the new ROM prior to investing the $ on OCD boards. The boards cost more than the LED's

#5688 21 days ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

D'oh! Thanks for letting me know. I swear I searched the forum for the string "topper" before I posted my note.
At least I know I'm not alone.

I just gave up and left IC’s in there

#5689 21 days ago

I’ve never seen one that wasn’t bubbled, even one with proper prep from a top restoration guy. I’d stay away

Quoted from gjm7777:

Prep and application is everything, I shopped out a funhouse that had one of these (no idea where it came from) but it was bubbling in many places and the only option was to surgically cut some of it away leaving a sticky residue that was a nightmare to take off. It’s a cosmetic band aid but I get replacing an entire playfield is expensive and not within everyone’s ability.

#5690 21 days ago

I just ordered the L-6. How does that one differ?

Quoted from geriguy:

Thanks a lot! With speaking a lot of different people regarding this G-5 rom version, I made the same conclusion. D-6 and G-5 should be the same.
It seems that somebody repaired the Xtra BallE glitch a long time ago and made a D-5 rom from L-5. (I don't understand the name - why D, but anyway, it was D-5). After that, around 2009 the anti-ghosting patch was created so somebody ported the D-5 and made the D-6. Around the same time someone else also made the work from D-5 but named the ROM to G-5. The anti-ghosting patcher can name the files to anything. So it is basically just a character (or two characters).

#5691 21 days ago

Have you had success with the GI ocd board in fishtales? I miss the dimming features of ic’s in the gi

#5692 21 days ago

Thanks for all of the great replies and feedback. I will check out Mr. pinball in Australia to see if it’s a reasonable solution for graphics. My nephew is actually there right now. Maybe I can have him bring back a set. If anyone knows of a good domestic supplier, please let me know. Will definitely get the ROM upgrade and I’ll probably go ahead and get the G.I. OCD board so the LEDs behave their very best.

#5693 21 days ago

When I say strobing I mean fast on and off, you can see this on attract mode when you compare it with and without the OCD board. This machine has a fast moving light pattern on attract mode so easily seen. Much smoother with the board, but I do understand some people just don't see it.

#5694 21 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

When I say strobing I mean fast on and off, you can see this on attract mode when you compare it with and without the OCD board. This machine has a fast moving light pattern on attract mode so easily seen. Much smoother with the board, but I do understand some people just don't see it.

That actually makes sense. I dont turn all my games on and have them sit there very long prior to pressing start. Once done the game gets turned off

#5695 21 days ago

If you put LED's in your games you should turn off the GI power saving feature even if you have an OCD board installed. The original intention of that mode was to save the connectors/bulbs and that's not needed with LEDs.

#5696 20 days ago

Ordered graphics from Mr Pinball on ebay. About the same price as FunHouse from Phoenix. Look forward to getting them. The existing ones are really faded. Thanks @ant-h!

#5697 20 days ago
Quoted from Lodi:

Ordered graphics from Mr Pinball on ebay. About the same price as FunHouse from Phoenix. Look forward to getting them. The existing ones are really faded. Thanks @ant-h!

Post pics when you are done, or during your cab work. I applied RadCals to mine about 4 years ago, and they turned out fine, but all things considered there is nothing like a well-installed new set of decals. They both take me about the same amount of time, and decals cost a bit less. Good luck with yours!

#5698 19 days ago

Pinkitten I will get some picts posted in a couple weeks. Here are a few of the FunHouse I just restored. This machine was a mess - used, abused, and repaired haphazardly over the years. Plus, everything metal had rust. I replaced more parts than I saved - probably got a little carried away but once I got started it was hard to find a logical stopping point. It was my first restoration so I’m still sorting out a few odds and ends, but I’m pretty happy with it. Comparatively, FT is in good shape so I’m not going as far. Replacing cabinet graphics, legs, bands, plastic posts, plastics, ramps, LEDs and possibly a color display.

IMG_2282 (resized).jpegIMG_2282 (resized).jpegIMG_2283 (resized).jpegIMG_2283 (resized).jpegIMG_2478 (resized).jpegIMG_2478 (resized).jpegIMG_2479 (resized).jpegIMG_2479 (resized).jpegIMG_2480 (resized).jpegIMG_2480 (resized).jpegIMG_2481 (resized).jpegIMG_2481 (resized).jpegIMG_2482 (resized).jpegIMG_2482 (resized).jpeg
#5699 19 days ago
Quoted from Lodi:

Pinkitten I will get some picts posted in a couple weeks. Here are a few of the FunHouse I just restored. This machine was a mess - used, abused, and repaired haphazardly over the years. Plus, everything metal had rust. I replaced more parts than I saved - probably got a little carried away but once I got started it was hard to find a logical stopping point. It was my first restoration so I’m still sorting out a few odds and ends, but I’m pretty happy with it. Comparatively, FT is in good shape so I’m not going as far. Replacing cabinet graphics, legs, bands, plastic posts, plastics, ramps, LEDs and possibly a color display.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks awesome! I love seeing restored pins. Funhouse is a favorite of mine. I bought one a few years ago from a guy who restored/built from scratch a Funhouse with his son. It was fantastic. Sadly, I sold it. There are a few I’d like to have back and that’s one. Good luck with Fish Tales! My current FT came with a beautifully restored glossy playfield and an average cabinet. I redid the sound system and cabinet and had the rails and legs powder coated. FT is a blast to play.

#5700 18 days ago

Pinkitten thanks for the kind words. FH was quite a project considering that it was my first pin resto. We have had both of these machines for 20+ years So it’s worth the investment to get them in top shape.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 149.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,716 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 115.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.