IMG_8277 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1424 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1419 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1422 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1425 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1421 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240410-104039 (resized).png
There are 5,590 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 112.
#5201 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have wanted a Fish Tales for YEARS. Either games came up when I had other obligations, or the condition didn’t justify the price (to me).
Well the stars or pinball gods or karma or whatever the hell makes deals happen did it’s magic and not this is coming to my house.
An absolutely huge shout out to EagleTG - he drove 2 hours each way to pick this up for me. The seller needed it out of his garage and I couldn't make the trip on his timeline. EagleTG to the rescue. We've been friends for years and have had many pinball adventures. You couldn't ask for a better dude.
Thanks also to JodyG for selling me this awesome piece of machinery!
It still at my friends house but I hope to have it home in Friday if all works out.
Chris
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! looks like it's in fantastic condition.

#5202 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have wanted a Fish Tales for YEARS. Either games came up when I had other obligations, or the condition didn’t justify the price (to me).
Well the stars or pinball gods or karma or whatever the hell makes deals happen did it’s magic and not this is coming to my house.
An absolutely huge shout out to EagleTG - he drove 2 hours each way to pick this up for me. The seller needed it out of his garage and I couldn't make the trip on his timeline. EagleTG to the rescue. We've been friends for years and have had many pinball adventures. You couldn't ask for a better dude.
Thanks also to JodyG for selling me this awesome piece of machinery!
It still at my friends house but I hope to have it home in Friday if all works out.
Chris
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great find and addition. Fish Tales is a classic WPC and such an original theme and clever design. I play mine almost every day, and it’s bolted down! Catch that monster fish!

1 week later
#5203 1 year ago

I have a question as I recently acquired a fish tales. I am trying to figure out why the lock ball drop target in front of the lock isn't popping up immediately for games. Is it a harder setting that utilizes it? I reset it to factory settings and still it doesn't pop up. But when I go into solenoid tests, it goes and goes down with zero issues. I had cleaned the mechanism originally as it seemed to be sticky on the slide. I thought something was wrong till I could test it working.

Thanks
Conrad

#5204 1 year ago
Quoted from Conrad:

I have a question as I recently acquired a fish tales. I am trying to figure out why the lock ball drop target in front of the lock isn't popping up immediately for games. Is it a harder setting that utilizes it? I reset it to factory settings and still it doesn't pop up. But when I go into solenoid tests, it goes and goes down with zero issues. I had cleaned the mechanism originally as it seemed to be sticky on the slide. I thought something was wrong till I could test it working.
Thanks
Conrad

Yes, look in the settings and set it to hard.

#5205 1 year ago
Quoted from Conrad:

Thanks
Conrad

Drop target is down at beginning of the game. It stays down until you collect a jackpot in mb. Then it pops up and requires a hit to activate locks.

#5206 1 year ago

Thank you for letting me know. I have to play it more instead of tinkering and cleaning I guess lol. But I like to go through everything with a fine comb before I start battling it out

Thanks
Conrad

#5207 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Drop target is down at beginning of the game. It stays down until you collect a jackpot in mb. Then it pops up and requires a hit to activate locks.

Not on hard setting. It starts out in the up position. It feels like the hard setting is the right setting to us. You have to hit the sucker shot to enable a lock.

#5208 1 year ago

Quick question, while I was replacing my fish tales topper dome I notice more than half the screws where missing that hold down the dome to the head. The ones in there where self tapping screws from like home depot so there are 10 needed. Anybody know what originally was used to hold down the topper? Thanks

#5209 1 year ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Quick question, while I was replacing my fish tales topper dome I notice more than half the screws where missing that hold down the dome to the head. The ones in there where self tapping screws from like home depot so there are 10 needed. Anybody know what originally was used to hold down the topper? Thanks

The same screws you have on the cable holders under the playfield, but the longer One, used for coils f.ex.
I suggest to add a washer, bigger than the screws, to avoid crash of the plastic.

#5210 1 year ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

They came with security torx type screws factory. Many have since been replaced so you don't need that security bit to access.

#5211 1 year ago

Honestly you don't need all the screws to hold the dome down especially in a home environment.

#5212 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

They came with security torxh type screws factory. Many have since been replaced so you don't need that security bit to access.

I need to dust

IMG20230331030006 (resized).jpgIMG20230331030006 (resized).jpg
#5213 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Not on hard setting. It starts out in the up position. It feels like the hard setting is the right setting to us. You have to hit the sucker shot to enable a lock.

Most average players likely never get to the Super Jackpot round with normal settings let alone hard. You haven't even played Fishtales until you've smacked 100mill Supers+ over and over

#5214 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Most average players likely never get to the Super Jackpot round with normal settings let alone hard. You haven't even played Fishtales until you've smacked 100mill Supers+ over and over

That's why we keep it set on hard. So it's a rare award to see that and it doesn't get boring.

#5215 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I need to dust
[quoted image]

Thanks for the picture, I like to use what originally came with the game

#5216 1 year ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

originally came with the game

It uses a T25 security torx head so you will need the matching security type bit with the hole in the center. The sets are sold on amazon, etc.

#5217 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

It uses a T25 security torx head so you will need the matching security type bit with the hole in the center. The sets are sold on amazon, etc.

This little $5 security torx bit set is really handy. I’ve had one in my pinball tool box for years and it’s very useful. Lots of older pins featured torx screws. And I agree, you only need a few to secure the dome topper in a home environment.

BDC38AA2-C517-4738-8777-F2AECDAAA52A (resized).pngBDC38AA2-C517-4738-8777-F2AECDAAA52A (resized).png
#5218 1 year ago

Hello fishtales owners,
I will hopefully be rejoining the club soon. Looks like I’m in for a cabinet decal job. Figured I might as well do up the rails and legs in some sort of finish. Don’t know if I should go for a black, chrome, or original finish. If you have any opinions lmk what you have seen/done. Not a big fan of the oranges, greens, blue but maybe the right shade will do it for me( still haven’t seen it yet).

#5219 1 year ago
Quoted from PinHead25:

Hello fishtales owners,
I will hopefully be rejoining the club soon. Looks like I’m in for a cabinet decal job. Figured I might as well do up the rails and legs in some sort of finish. Don’t know if I should go for a black, chrome, or original finish. If you have any opinions lmk what you have seen/done. Not a big fan of the oranges, greens, blue but maybe the right shade will do it for me( still haven’t seen it yet).

Mine gets plenty of hate for the blue, but I love it! If you're gonna powder coat, I recommend doing the wireforms too, they look great.

#5220 1 year ago

Some example images I have saved:

bling FT 1 (resized).jpgbling FT 1 (resized).jpg
bling FT 2 (resized).jpgbling FT 2 (resized).jpg
color change1 (resized).jpgcolor change1 (resized).jpg
color change2 (resized).jpgcolor change2 (resized).jpg
ft black armor 1 (resized).jpgft black armor 1 (resized).jpg
ft black armor 2 (resized).jpgft black armor 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPGIMG_2328 (resized).JPG

#5221 1 year ago
Quoted from PinHead25:

Hello fishtales owners,

I'd keep it original.

1 week later
#5222 1 year ago

Hey guys and gals.

just joined the Casters Club!

Of course, during transport something had to glitch. I am having the 2 balls in the shooter lane problem. Once I hit Start, the game autoshoots 2 balls and continues to do this through all 3 credits, without me ever touching the shooting rod. I snapped some pictures, hoping that'd help identify the issue. The game works fine with just 2 balls.
Friends coming to my place tmrw and I didn't tell them I got a new game, so help super appreciated!

20230411_125142 (resized).jpg20230411_125142 (resized).jpg20230411_125152 (resized).jpg20230411_125152 (resized).jpg20230411_125200 (resized).jpg20230411_125200 (resized).jpg20230411_125205 (resized).jpg20230411_125205 (resized).jpg20230411_125226 (resized).jpg20230411_125226 (resized).jpg
#5223 1 year ago

Shooter lane switch might not register the first ball? Maybe see if the switch is engaged when 1 ball is in the shooter lane.

#5224 1 year ago

Correct number of balls in the game ?

Arm that kicks the balls to the shooter lane, if it's anywhere near close to the arm of the last switch in the ball trough, if it hits it you will get another ball with the first ball kicked out.

LTG : )

#5225 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Correct number of balls in the game ?
Arm that kicks the balls to the shooter lane, if it's anywhere near close to the arm of the last switch in the ball trough, if it hits it you will get another ball with the first ball kicked out.

I bought a no fear years ago that must have had a ball locked when the seller removed them. I put the correct number in, not realizing it was actually now one too many and spent way too long trying to figure out what was wrong

#5226 1 year ago

I've considered the extra ball, but honestly no idea where it could be hidden. There are supposed to be 4 total, right? 1 in the boat and 3 loose? Or is the third one normally locked somewhere?
The game seems to want to pop 2 of the 3 balls when they are in the trough so thinking maybe a sensor on the right side.

I don't think it's the last switch near the loading arm cause I had moved the switch out of the way to test that, and it was doing it anyway.

#5227 1 year ago

Yes 3 balls. We don't count the captured ball (in the boat) when talking about total balls.

#5228 1 year ago

Checked the error test upon boot and it mentioned switch 18 in trough 3 so I am going to pop open the apron tomorrw and see.

Any guesses what it might be? Bent sensor strip, switch bumped out of place, etc?

Appreciate all the help

#5229 1 year ago

Two and a half weeks ago, one of my plastic flippers broke, so I decided to upgrade to Precision Pinball's CNC flippers. I purchased his kit that includes the bushings, which makes the flipper mechanism have zero slop by incorporating the close tolerance metal bushings with their Oilite® impregnated sleeves. Here is the link to the kit if you are interested after reading my review and experience. If you do order them, make sure you contact him first because the lightning flipper size isn't an option on the site.

https://precisionpinballproducts.com/shop/ols/products/precision-flip-two-flipper-kits-for-stern-games-prc-flp-two-flp1

I installed the new flippers and have been using them for one and a half weeks now. John's flippers were super easy to install and adjust. Currently, he only has silver ones available in the Lightning Flipper size, and I was worried that they might not look great on my Fish Tales machine. Surprisingly, the silver flippers turned out better than I expected.

The only issue I experienced initially was the ball bouncing from the guide to the flipper. I wasn't sure if the round/fat part of John's flippers was thicker than the original Lightnings. After adjusting the flipper angle several times, I posted about my bounce problem in the following Pinside post of reviews of the flippers:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/46#post-7514688

John confirmed that his flippers were indeed a bit thicker, which could cause the bounce issue. At this point, both John and other Pinside community members suggested adjusting the ball guides to fix the issue. Initially, I didn't think you could adjust them, which is why I didn't try this (long time pinball fan but new to ownership and maintenance), but after giving it a try, I was able to make the necessary adjustments, which solved my problem.

I've included the actual URLs to the videos of the new flippers and the old flippers below. The new flipper video is before the adjustment and shows the bounce issue I experienced.

Original flippers video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/impgVXZgQq35E4JL7

New flipper video right after installation: https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3ZAvnayayS26T9K8

New flippers video (before adjustment): https://photos.app.goo.gl/roAKZDkx4bPyTdVF9

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with this upgrade after making the necessary adjustments. If anyone has also done this upgrade, I'd love to hear your review and experience.

PXL_20230403_235536935 (resized).jpgPXL_20230403_235536935 (resized).jpgPXL_20230403_235528846 (resized).jpgPXL_20230403_235528846 (resized).jpgPXL_20230403_235548983 (resized).jpgPXL_20230403_235548983 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-04-12 11.50.27 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-04-12 11.50.27 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-04-12 11.49.58 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-04-12 11.49.58 AM (resized).pngPXL_20230325_042745344 (resized).jpgPXL_20230325_042745344 (resized).jpg
#5230 1 year ago

This isn't related to the flippers, but would anyone be interested in ordering anything from the Pinball Center in the UK? I have a friend who will be in Germany from 4/25 to 5/14. I'm going to be purchasing some of the decal overlays and ship them to him, and then he's going to ship them to me or bring them back home here to Ohio.

They have a decal set that has the super jackpot insert, a big playfield one, and the nudity top cabinet art that you can't find anywhere else. I'm willing to purchase and get them shipped to you since Pinball Center doesn't ship to the US. If you are interested, just send me a PM.

Here is a link to a search for Fish Tales decals; they do have other Fish Tales items, so just let me know:

https://www.pinball.center/en/search?sSearch=Fish%2BTales%2BDecals&p=1

#5231 1 year ago
Quoted from Nintegageo:

Checked the error test upon boot and it mentioned switch 18 in trough 3 so I am going to pop open the apron tomorrw and see.
Any guesses what it might be? Bent sensor strip, switch bumped out of place, etc?
Appreciate all the help

Check your trough switches and make sure they are responding. Micro switches can get sticky over the years and can stop activating. Make sure the tiny little button under the switch arm is clicking when you press the arm. If one of the trough switches won’t respond, I would simply order a few of them and replace it. Replacing switches on 30 year old pins isn’t uncommon! Good luck and share whatever the issue was.

#5232 1 year ago
Quoted from MagnumChris:

Two and a half weeks ago, one of my plastic flippers broke

Totally not a comment about the pro's and con's of the precision flippers. I've owned machines for over 12 years and NEVER had a flipper bust like that nor have i heard about one busting there either. I would suggest that was quite a random event to happen but i could be wrong.

#5233 1 year ago
Quoted from MagnumChris:

Two and a half weeks ago, one of my plastic flippers broke

I had the same thing happen on my Tron pin, but the flippers were an aftermarket, translucent flipper that felt pretty flimsy to me. That’s the only plastic flipper I’ve had break on any pin I’ve owned (around 100). It’s super uncommon but does happen. I’ve heard good things about the precision ones. I have no prob with standard flippers, but maybe someday…

#5234 1 year ago

I don't know if this flipper was a genunie Fish Tales orginal or one of the replicas they sell today. I seen some reviews of the replacements ones you can buy today don't hold up. But who knows. The ball came down from a cast, I wacked it, the flipper just stayed in the up position and I'm just like umm.. welp. lol

I think the Precision ones look great, and it allows my daughter to change flippers. The positives out weighed the only negative, cost. Which honestly isn't that bad to me.

#5235 1 year ago

Success! Was a wiring issue.

This is a great game!

20230414_204743 (resized).jpg20230414_204743 (resized).jpg
#5236 1 year ago

What's the credit dot ?

#5237 1 year ago

I just need to replace the fork switch at the caster's club.

#5238 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

What's the credit dot ?

Credit dot means a minor problem. A credit exclamation point means you have some serious shit wrong with it.

#5239 1 year ago

I'm in! One of my favorite games, I didn't think I would ever get one but a deal came along that I couldn't pass up.

The cabinet shows some wear, typical fading. The playfield, mechs, and boards are all in excellent condition. Already has LEDs. Even the topper is great, except the dome is cracked on the back. I don't think this was played much.

This has my favorite multiball of all the WPC games, so simple but so satisfying.

PXL_20230405_154030155 (resized).jpgPXL_20230405_154030155 (resized).jpg
#5240 1 year ago

Decided to have a quick game in the 2nd intermission of the Oilers game last night. I had 1.2 billion on my last ball (don't break a billion often) and just got to the Super Jack round for the 2nd time that game, when the ball got jammed at the reel entrance, which has been happening somewhat frequently lately. Time for a new belt, clean optos, check switch, shim up D shaped pulley. All back together, so far so good. Ruining my epic game forced me to finally tear it apart and fix it lol. Didn't take an after shot, but here's a peek at the assembly if you've never had yours out.

PXL_20230418_175914227.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230418_175914227.MP (resized).jpg
#5241 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Decided to have a quick game in the 2nd intermission of the Oilers game last night. I had 1.2 billion on my last ball (don't break a billion often) and just got to the Super Jack round for the 2nd time that game, when the ball got jammed at the reel entrance, which has been happening somewhat frequently lately. Time for a new belt, clean optos, check switch, shim up D shaped pulley. All back together, so far so good. Ruining my epic game forced me to finally tear it apart and fix it lol. Didn't take an after shot, but here's a peek at the assembly if you've never had yours out.
[quoted image]

Good move. My belt was brittle and gave out a couple years ago. It took me an hour or two to change the belt, it’s a tricky, but clever mech. One of my favorite physical ball locks. Mark Richie had a thing for locks. The idol on Indy Jones is pretty cool too.

#5242 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Good move. My belt was brittle and gave out a couple years ago. It took me an hour or two to change the belt, it’s a tricky, but clever mech. One of my favorite physical ball locks. Mark Richie had a thing for locks. The idol on Indy Jones is pretty cool too.

I must have gotten lucky. I just changed mine in literally 10 minutes. Removed the mech and just stretched the belt over and on!

#5243 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I must have gotten lucky. I just changed mine in literally 10 minutes. Removed the mech and just stretched the belt over and on!

Nice job! Maybe I was overthinking it. I recall it was tricky to access the bolts or screws that attached the mech. It took me awhile to remove it and swap the belts. Hopefully the new one lasts years with light play.

#5244 1 year ago

This is the 2nd Fishtales I've changed out a belt on, it's not too bad I ordered another couple belts and a new pulley too just in case. #keeper

3 weeks later
#5245 11 months ago

Hey Hey, I was wondering what the flipper alignment you guys are using (lightning flippers)? I read about the toothpick method .... I find it more easy to shoot the "Casters Club" .... any thoughts?

20230511_100833 (resized).jpg20230511_100833 (resized).jpg
#5246 11 months ago
Quoted from joostproost:

Hey Hey, I was wondering what the flipper alignment you guys are using (lightning flippers)? I read about the toothpick method .... I find it more easy to shoot the "Casters Club" .... any thoughts?

I find that puts the flippers to far up but that's a personal choice and everyone has a different one when it comes to flipper alignment. I generally have the center of the flipper tip aligned with the hole itself. If you look at the angles when you do it that way you find that the flippers are virtually parallel with the angle of the lane guides. From what i've read over the years, this seems to be a favoured position by most.

#5247 11 months ago
Quoted from joostproost:

[quoted image]

I don't use those holes as a guide, but even most who do don't have rubbers on when doing so. I just like the flippers to be a straight parh for the ball from the lane guides.

#5248 11 months ago
Quoted from joostproost:

[quoted image]

Line up with the ball guide.

#5249 11 months ago

On Bally/Williams, the tooth pick should be between the bottom of the flipper and the rubber. Same for older pins. Setting the flipper straight with the lane guide is OK, but may be slightly high.

For modern sterns the flipper tip should point straight at the pin. Similarly the mounting screws for the lane guide should make a straight line down the center of the flipper to the tip.

Lowering the flipper angle slightly is called "flopped" and makes it harder to trap and is sometimes done in tournaments to make the pin play harder which may be necessary to keep game times shorter so the tourney does not run too long.

#5250 11 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

On Bally/Williams, the tooth pick should be between the bottom of the flipper and the rubber.

This!! Don't rest the rubber on the post - stick the post through the rubber and flipper.
However, having said that? Align it to how you like it the best.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 169.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
There are 5,590 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-casters-club/page/105 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.