• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Atreyu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi All,

I just finally got my Fish Tales from Italy and it's playing great overall. There are a few inconsistencies that I'm running into that I don't believe should be a big problem to fix (needs new rubbers, small bracket on left flipper is broken, balls are coming out of the reel inconsistently after lock sometimes popping a second ball into play when multiball is not activated), but this particular thread is about a weird issue at the beginning of each ball.

I notice that almost all of the time, before the ball loads into the shooter lane, the plunger is firing. Sometimes this happens again after the ball is loaded, which starts the ball in play immediately (not during autocast after a ball save). Why would starting a new ball produce this behavior? The mechanical issues I am facing are things that I know where to start looking, but I don't know where to start with this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I would start with a switch edge test to see if anything is firing. Or see if the shooter lane switch is working properly. Also check for battery acid damage on the CPU, that could cause strange behavior also.

#3 8 years ago

Agreed. Switch edge test will probably should you something being triggered too early and it thinks it needs to re-shoot the ball.

#4 8 years ago

Were you able to figure out this problem?

#5 8 years ago

Agree. It could be the either the switch or a loose cable during the shipping
I had the same problem, auto-plunge and another 2 switches (believe 26 & 66) "not working".
After replaced the switch 66 without any positive result, traced that the issue was a cable de-soldered at the catapult switch...once soldered it again all the switches alarms disappeared and the plunge button was working again

#6 8 years ago

So I looked briefly last night after work, but didn't find anything wrong with the switch. From what I can tell, it's firing properly without issue. Maybe I'm doing this test incorrectly, but everything seemed right for me.

What exactly should I be looking for here? There is no battery damage on the board, and even if the switch did activate randomly at the beginning of a new ball, it shouldn't fire until I've hit the caster button, which is also working just fine. I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not seeing what may cause the plunger to fire even if that shooter lane switch was making contact early.

Side note: while I was doing this, I DID happen across a broken tip to the EOS switch on my left flipper, which means that the flipper mech was not making contact. Glad that I caught that before it caused any real issues.

#7 8 years ago

Here is why. Let's say you have a contact too close in a sling shot and it touches. The game thinks you already launched the ball it went to the playfield (how else would a switch trigger) and then somehow made it back to the shooter lane. It does not wait for you to launch it again it does an auto-fire.

That is why we are asking about a switch edge test. Take the glass off. Take the balls out. Put it in switch edge test. Drop a ball in the shooter lane. Should go ding and say last switch was shooter lane. Smack or jiggle the game and see if a different switch triggers.

Drop the balls one at a time into the out hole. Should trigger switches trough 3 -2 -1. Drop another in should go 3 -2. These are all standard tests you do when you get shooter lane, ball trough, two balls in shooter lane . . . type issues.

#8 8 years ago

Gotcha. I will give that a shot tonight. Thanks for the insight!

#9 8 years ago

The only time the game auto launches (besides multiball from the boat ramp or a multiplayer game when the reel isn't full) is the ball save feature. I believe the game also says "Don't move" when it is ball saving.

#10 8 years ago

I recall there is an option in the settings for auto-plunge. it may not be relevant to your situation but there is some setting that can be changed.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

I recall there is an option in the settings for auto-plunge. it may not be relevant to your situation but there is some setting that can be changed.

I'll check into that Farmboss, thanks! The only issue with that theory is that most of the time, it fires the plunger, then ejects the ball into the shooter lane at which time it waits for you to push the plunger button. It only occasionally fires a second time (after the ball is in the shooter lane). If there is an autoplunge option, I'd think that it would recognize that the ball is still in the shooter lane after it ejects and plunge again, but this may be an option to persue.

Quoted from gutz:

The only time the game auto launches (besides multiball from the boat ramp or a multiplayer game when the reel isn't full) is the ball save feature. I believe the game also says "Don't move" when it is ball saving.

Right, that I am aware of. In this case, though, it doesn't give the ball save animation or say "Don't move". It just plunges, ejects the ball, then occasionally plunges again after the ball is in the shooter lane. It also keeps the ball save on until after you've plunged the ball and it is in play, so it doesn't seem to think that there is a drain as though a ball was already in play.

I will update this thread when I get home and can look at it in a bit more depth.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 169.00
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-auto-plunges-at-beginning-of-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.