IMG_0032 (resized).jpg
IMG_0030 (resized).jpg
IMG_0022 (resized).jpg
IMG_0025 (resized).jpg
IMG_0027 (resized).jpg
IMG_0026 (resized).jpg
IMG_0024 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Howdy y'all from OKC! This is my very first post in your fine forum, my first pin, and first project: What looks like a completely original Gottlieb "Sweet Hearts" game that actually mostly works This was a pawn shop find from Fort Smith Arkansas (was listed in CL) priced at $550. Its in decent and definitely restorable mechanical shape. As found in pawn shopAs found in pawn shop
The play field is actually quite good, but there's some kind of tape that was added under the pop bumpers most likely to try and slow down wear there. Actually all of the topside plastic could stand to be replaced. IMG_0026 (resized).jpgIMG_0026 (resized).jpg IMG_0027 (resized).jpgIMG_0027 (resized).jpg And the back glass is eroded away where the heat from the light bulbs affected it the most. The back glass is my biggest concern from what I read so far... hoping to find more guidance on restoration of the glass.IMG_0033 (resized).jpgIMG_0033 (resized).jpgIMG_0022 (resized).jpgIMG_0022 (resized).jpg
Inside the cabinet, its all just a little grungy but in good shape. IMG_0031 (resized).jpgIMG_0031 (resized).jpgIMG_0030 (resized).jpgIMG_0030 (resized).jpgThe exterior paint is flaking quite a lot and sports a number of scratches, a gouge or two and the ususal wear along the edges and corners. Metal trim is in great mechanical shape and will be an easy job to get back to new condition.IMG_0032 (resized).jpgIMG_0032 (resized).jpgIMG_0021 (resized).jpgIMG_0021 (resized).jpg

I will have lots of questions along the way, but am really looking forward to bringing this machine back to looking beautiful and working 100% again. A few more pics:

IMG_0023 (resized).jpgIMG_0023 (resized).jpg
IMG_0024 (resized).jpgIMG_0024 (resized).jpg
IMG_0025 (resized).jpgIMG_0025 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

My favorite game... try a post in the parts wanted thread looking for backglass. Ron Webb (http://pinballglass.homestead.com/) has reproduced these but he's currently out. Great game, great price. If you need a score card let me know, can copy mine.

Pinball Resource can fix you up with most pf parts (except the posts)

Pinball Rescue has the plastic but yous just need flatening.

#3 6 years ago

Hi,
Some info that may be helpful for Sweet Hearts.
If only a few posts needed ask Pinball Resource for used. They clean up.
Pinball resource has some NOS hardware like screws etc. used on the playfield
Pinball resource has signature part for the ends of the lock down bar. Old ones are rough after all this time.
Pinball resource has new coin doors and all the metal buttons, plugs for them. Also new flipper buttons.
Side rails are not reproduced that I have been able to find. Pinball resource has the nails.
Pinball resource has plastic lane guides, pop caps, beehive shooter in white or red.
bgresto.com will make a backglass for Sweet Hearts. It is Gorgeous. http://bgresto.com/?p=1002
www.preservationpinball.com does cabinet/ head painting and restoration. Goes by Paintpins on pinside.
Have tried multiple times over months to contact pinball rescue about plastics. They do not respond.

Was my first game out of the neighbors trash in about 1977.

#4 6 years ago

Alimerick - Wow what a great point-out on the Back Glass Repair!! As you can see, my BG has issues but I think a good candidate for restoration. Excellent!!

And "first game out of the neighbors trash ..." LOL thats priceless!!

The pics I posted above were of the game as-found in the pawn shop.

I'm now stripping the playfield getting ready for restoration and spending lots of time reading about PF restoration work.

IMG_0123 (resized).jpgIMG_0123 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

Have tried multiple times over months to contact pinball rescue about plastics. They do not respond.

I have a complete set of plastics that I might be willing to part with. Not new, but still pretty nice.

#6 6 years ago

I saw a old thread about SH backglass moved forward this morning. I think there are about 1/2 dozen people wanting one.
Mine was far gone and bgresto made another for me. Took awhile but when it showed up it is Gorgeous, Spot on. Lets a bit less light through than original but so nice looking.
Amazing that so may parts are available.

Thank You for the plastics offer. If you would like PM me price and shipping total.

Thank You
Andy

#7 6 years ago

Talking about back glass for Sweet Hearts: Decided to go with Steve @BGResto.

But while searching, I located a very very nice original glass over in the UK. Its in an art shop - and priced at £295 - or about $326 USD. Total cost to get it home would run around $450. But it IS nice...

http://jackdawgames.co.uk/sweet-hearts.html

#8 6 years ago

It is very nice but cards are faded not sure how it would look when lit and expensive. How nervous would be waiting for shipping. Nice picture of shop. Looks heavy duty industrial. The table Sweet Hearts is sitting on could likely hold allot more weight. Interesting apparatus on/ under the table next to the welding equipment.

#9 6 years ago

Alimerick - you're pretty observant. Metal working is my hobby.

The tables are my own design - 1/4' plate steel tops and yes very heavy duty. Built them 20 years ago for "what ever" projects I might get into.

The machine in the back-left side of pic is a hydro forming machine of my own design. It can take flat metal blanks and press them using liquid pressure over tooling masters to yield pressed parts with complex geometry. I use it to make aircraft ribs and bulkheads out of aluminum.

I also have a complete metal working shop: two CNC mills, and a very nice restored Monarch 10EE tool room lathe. Plus brake / shear / Syncrowave TiG / and tons of other stuff.

Link to 10EE restoration: https://goo.gl/photos/wsx1gZcfcBd25idw9

The Sweet Hearts game will be restored to like new - or better.

Bill.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverWings:

Alimerick - you're pretty observant. Metal working is my hobby.
The tables are my own design - 1/4' plate steel tops and yes very heavy duty. Built them 20 years ago for "what ever" projects I might get into.
The machine in the back-left side of pic is a hydro forming machine of my own design. It can take flat metal blanks and press them using liquid pressure over tooling masters to yield pressed parts with complex geometry. I use it to make aircraft ribs and bulkheads out of aluminum.
I also have a complete metal working shop: two CNC mills, and a very nice restored Monarch 10EE tool room lathe. Plus brake / shear / Syncrowave TiG / and tons of other stuff.
Link to 10EE restoration: https://goo.gl/photos/wsx1gZcfcBd25idw9
The Sweet Hearts game will be restored to like new - or better.
Bill.

Im going to scan my SweetHearts and get stencils made, if you can wait a month or 2 for the repaint

#11 6 years ago

I have Sweet Hearts Stencils. I've done several and developed a sort of "master' plate I copy and cut from.

#12 6 years ago

I will get to getting some pictures when mine is back together. Hopefully later this weekend. Getting close.
Oh buy the way awesome pictures of equipment that will never be made that way again. Years before 9/11 we went on a tour of Nasa satelite facility I think goddard. They had these huge buildings stories high inside and the floors were ancient wood grain end facing up fit together like bricks. Huge like 16ft x 16ft half inch thick steel tables all level to within nothing measurable. All the old machinery from the Navy yard stuff like in your pictures was being used and stored there. Talk about drooling. I wandered away and started talking with the techs milling a satelite frame out of a single huge piece of aluminum. They gave me a few mission stickers for my tool box. One guy made me a key chain fob out of a water cut oval of alum and laser etched nasa logo into it while we watched.
Andy

#13 6 years ago

P52 and PaintPins - are you guys talking about stencils for the play field?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverWings:

P52 and PaintPins - are you guys talking about stencils for the play field?

cab repaint stencils

#15 6 years ago

Alimerick- very much looking forward to your pics. Great story!

P52 yes I can wait for the cab stencils. Maybe a short road trip down from OKC to pick them up & see your games would be in order....

edit: UPDATE: I've made a playfield rotisserie and am now stripping the board top & bottom. BGResto glass now on order. The first (of many probably) PBR boxes has arrived - pop bump parts; replacement 3" bell unit; new legs; some score reel parts; and more I can't remember. Pulling the bottom board & related stuff soon...

#16 6 years ago

Hi,
Pictures of Sweet Hearts project are on photobucket.
http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/limerickf/library/Sweet%20Hearts?sort=2&page=1
User limerickf library album Sweet Hearts.
I fought with it as long as I had patients. Some might be doubles or not the right way up.
Andy

#17 6 years ago

Great thread - I have a sad Sweet Hearts in queue, following with interest. 'Canadian re-import' - poorly painted navy blue, ugh!

If anyone has some top notch scans of the playfield I would appreciate some sharing as some of the art is nearly gone.
Had a lead on some Aussi folk who had scanned the entire playfield but never got a response.

SilverWings - What shape is your gobble hole in? Mine is roached and the techniques that I have seen for restoring it will put me into new territory.

Cheers

Tom

#18 6 years ago

Alimerick - all I can say is WOW!!! What an incredible job you've done. I watched each and every photo - very very nice and definitely motivational for me. Thanks for putting those shots online!

Currently weighing my options - most of this decision seems now to be hinging on whether to have the playfield professionally done or not.

In that vein, I did speak with HSA Pinball restorations today. HSA does playfield restorations, and they've done literally hundreds to date. They have an impressive collection of high-res pictures on their website... check out the Sweet Hearts they did on the "Before/After" page.

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/Home.html

HSA has a large backlog of work at this time. They advised it would be 6-8 months for turnaround on new work. Cost roughly $1000. Considering the time involved in doing a PF restoration such as I have, this is a pretty low hourly rate. So I will consider it...

Tom - My SweetHearts is probably in "average" condition for its age. The gobble hole on my playfield is pretty well torn up (photo attached). If I was to restore this PF, my thought on re-doing the gobble hole would be to completely replace the wood around it. Noting the entire area around the hole is painted over, it would be possible to rout out a circle around the bad hole, completely taking out the worn down edges. I probably would rout down 1/4 inch or so. Then replace that piece with a brand new insert of fresh maple. And finally I would router cut in a new gobble hole into the replacement piece. Press in flat and go from there with new paint and clear coat over everything. I wouldn't like to see this repair done with wood filler, or bondo - so that's why I'd personally do it in brand new wood.

My PF is now in the table top rotisserie I fabbed up and will be completely stripped by tomorrow afternoon. We'll see how it shapes up with more cleaning tomorrow.

IMG_0175 (resized).jpgIMG_0175 (resized).jpg

IMG_0165 (resized).jpgIMG_0165 (resized).jpg

IMG_0186 (resized).jpgIMG_0186 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

Sorry about the pictures. Photobucket will not let me edit to make them right side up.
For playfield restoration, clear coating I have used.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/50795
Goes by GMKALOS on here. George. He is in Front Royal Va. George did the swap of Sweet Hearts when provided with all the parts. He touched up SH playfield just a bit around the pops and that is all it needed for the playfield. I also requested he satin clear the SH cabinet. His work is wonderful and he keeps in touch as it goes along with pictures. Took him only a few weeks. He is currently clearing NOS EBD playfield and CPR Firepower playfield. With Guns N Roses and Addams Family to follow. Likely more as I can afford. Very nice guy. Does really good work. Every screw lined up. Good Attention to detail. Great attitude. Works through problems. Is a retired Certified auto mechanic.
Can't say enough good about George and his work.
Also paint pins on here did the cabinet restore. He had one on hand. Painted it and SH was swapped into it. He will get the OE cabinet back and fix it up for next person. His work is top notch. I never thought I would be able to get a SH to look like new. I wanted to since I got the one out of the neighbor's trash in about 1977.
Andy

Added over 7 years ago: Pictures are now right side up.

#20 6 years ago

OK - so as planned the PF is fully stripped and ready now for cleanup and the beginning of the resto work. Since I will be making a significant number of posts documenting this playfield work, I've started a new thread over in the "playfield restoration" sub-forum:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sweet-hearts-pf-restoration#post-3962272

Y'all can head over there to see progress as I definitely will keep the thread up to date with lots of pics and information...

Bill.

#21 6 years ago

You won’t regret the bgresto backglass, having all the reds back again make it pop.

This SH already has the cabinet restored, but the playfield is in worse shape than yours.
Will be following both of your threads and hopefully motivate me to make a start.

Cheers, Paul.

shbg (resized).jpgshbg (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago

Paul, thanks. I've done some homework and am strongly considering laminate replacement around the pop bumpers as the best way to go. Will document in detail over in the restoration thread.

I'm getting mixed reviews on the BGR glasses. Certainly the new colors will be a HUGE improvement over the faded & flaking art I have now. We will see...

Your glass looks superb.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

Sorry about the pictures. Photobucket will not let me edit to make them right side up.
For playfield restoration, clear coating I have used.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/50795
Goes by GMKALOS on here. George. He is in Front Royal Va. George did the swap of Sweet Hearts when provided with all the parts. He touched up SH playfield just a bit around the pops and that is all it needed for the playfield. I also requested he satin clear the SH cabinet. His work is wonderful and he keeps in touch as it goes along with pictures. Took him only a few weeks. He is currently clearing NOS EBD playfield and CPR Firepower playfield. With Guns N Roses and Addams Family to follow. Likely more as I can afford. Very nice guy. Does really good work. Every screw lined up. Good Attention to detail. Great attitude. Works through problems. Is a retired Certified auto mechanic.
Can't say enough good about George and his work.
Also paint pins on here did the cabinet restore. He had one on hand. Painted it and SH was swapped into it. He will get the OE cabinet back and fix it up for next person. His work is top notch. I never thought I would be able to get a SH to look like new. I wanted to since I got the one out of the neighbor's trash in about 1977.
Andy

Thanks Andy I'm glad you're happy.

016.JPG016.JPG

021.JPG021.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-timer-w-gottlieb-sweet-hearts-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.