Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0239 (resized).JPG
Alpha playfield partially stripped (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I picked up this 1976 Gottlieb Target Alpha at a garage sale. Great back glass. Playfield may have never been cleaned. I hit it with some Mean Green. That may have been a mistake. The art is intact but I may have stripped off some varnish. I'm thinking it's a good candidate for clear coating. Needs a few minor touch ups. Has some minor cupping of inserts. I'm thinking of touching up the paint but leaving the inserts as is.

It still has some dark dirty spots and a few ball swirls. What do you guys use for cleaning the dirt and grime off a playfield from this era?

Alpha playfield partially stripped (resized).JPGAlpha playfield partially stripped (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Congrats on the new game! Might want to go through vids guide on play field restoration. Have fun.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#3 6 years ago

pinrepair.com

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

I picked up this 1976 Gottlieb Target Alpha at a garage sale. Great back glass. Playfield may have never been cleaned. I hit it with some Mean Green. That may have been a mistake. The art is intact but I may have stripped off some varnish. I'm thinking it's a good candidate for clear coating. Needs a few minor touch ups. Has some minor cupping of inserts. I'm thinking of touching up the paint but leaving the inserts as is.
It still has some dark dirty spots and a few ball swirls. What do you guys use for cleaning the dirt and grime off a playfield from this era?

If you do want it clearcoated, contact CaptainNeo on pinside. He is in Burlington WI. He does excellent work.

#5 6 years ago

Never, ever use mean green. It will strip paint very easily.

Use simple green instead to clean up grime. Walmart and some hardware stores carry it.

Do not spray the wood directly--spray it on a paper towel and wipe. You don't want the water soaking into the wood.

You can use novus 2 to clean up ball trails. Note that it is abrasive, and will eventually wear through with enough rubbing. Novus 1 can be used to wipe down areas that aren't too dirty.

Naphtha will clean up any old wax.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/

#6 6 years ago

Stay away from any water based products.

This is what I use.

IMG_0239 (resized).JPGIMG_0239 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

Note that magic eraser will strip off the topcoat, so don't do that unless you plan on protecting it or clear coating it.

Also, you can buy no-name brand melamine sponges for a few cents per sponge, rather than the name brand and they work the same.

#8 6 years ago

Simple green is the stuff! I use it all the time. I clean about everything with it. I use it in my ultrasonic too.

I also use 91% alcohol, cp-100, novus 1-3 depending on the parts (3 only on metal guides), a good natural wax, etc...

If you are going to clean a lot of playfield I would buy a tumbler and an ultrasonic cleaner. You can get cheap ones at harbor freight and they make a world of difference.

I will also second staying away from a magic eraser. It's really easy to get carried away. And it's really hard to put paint back after you've pulled it off lol

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to clear coat it. I'm almost done stripping it. I still have to attack some of the more stubborn stains before it gets coated. I don't need it to be perfect. But I'm afraid that if I don't coat it, more paint will come off.

Quoted from TomGWI:

If you do want it clearcoated, contact CaptainNeo on pinside. He is in Burlington WI. He does excellent work.

Thanks for the recommendation. But I have someone nearby that does good work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-working-on-a-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.