(Topic ID: 198075)

First Time to Expo - Advice?

By Time

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PA150019 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider butterflygirl24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

So I decided yesterday I'll fly out to Chicago and checkout this whole pinball expo thing. Just coming myself. What should I expect?
    I can't take time off work so I'll fly over just for the Sat/Sunday unfortunately. I'm a bit late to planning this and with the quick turn around I'm just going to stay near the airport and commute into the city.

Is it pretty easy getting form o'hare to downtown?
    Am I going to end up buying a bunch of stuff? Should I bring an extra suit case?
    If I'm just going for Sat and the 1/2 day on Sunday should I buy a pass or just day pay?
    Are most vendors cash only or do they accept usually credit cards?
    I'm coming from Los Angeles, it's 80 degrees here today, am I going to freeze in Chicago?
    When is the ideal time to checkout the halls?
    Any other advise I should know?

If you are coming just for Sat. and Sun. plan to get there as early as possible on Sat. and check out everything. The vendor hall usually has alot of cool stuff, there really isn't an abundance of actual parts to buy as most vendors have online shops. I kinda miss the days where Mayfair and Steve Young came to shows so you could shop and find that part or BG that you just had to have, rather than ordering it online and pick it up while there. (That's not as much fun!) Expo is about walking around talking to people, hitting some seminars, running into Steve Ritchie in the hallway. You can watch some of the best players out in the main tournament area. The Stern tour is always fun! (I know you won't be able to make that but if you get the chance it's a good time!) Sat. afternoon is also the autograph session so if you have something you want signed bring it along. Or if you don't have anything, most of them usually have some flyers or something to sign for you.
    The free Play room is what it is...not the best machines, but not the worst either. Not the most # of machines you might see at another show, but plenty of games to have fun playing. First year I went to Expo I was in AWE! in general...so many games I had never seen let alone gotten to play. I took 2 games the first year I went and have been bringing games since then because I enjoy sharing my games with others. My group brings anywhere from 15 to 20 games for everyone to play and leave them on the floor as long as possible. I leave my games up till around 1 or 2 on Sun. so they will be there Sun. if you want to come and play. Other than that, Sun. is usually a tear down day and most of the vendors are packing up or gone and alot of the games from the free play are leaving. Pretty much the only thing going on on Sun. is the tournament in the main hallway. So whether you choose to stop in on Sun. is up to you.
    If you don't do anything else at Expo make sure you get "mugged" by LTG!! It's an experience you won't soon forget! Talk to as many people as possible because it is what you make it...have fun and enjoy yourself!

Phoebe

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Have you heard anything on who will be there this year? The website just shows who has signed stuff in past years. Last year they had a list of who WOULD be there to sign stuff.

The list is never a guarantee of who is going to be there...They invite lots of pinball "celebrities" but not all show up it just depends on their schedule that day...

Phoebe

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

You'll meet some great guys and also some morons. These items will help you cope with both encounters.

Yep...If you run into this guy...don't walk RUN!!!
    PA150019 (resized).JPGPA150019 (resized).JPG

Phoebe

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider butterflygirl24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-to-expo-advice?tu=butterflygirl24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.