Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Otaku
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Whats a good first time EM purchase? I was browsing the top 100 but its really hard to find any in my area (Indianapolis). I also understand peoples opinions differ on whats a good choice. I was just reading a lot of the reviews in the top 100. If anyone can point me to any further reading let me know or point me to some good EM Pinballs to keep an eye out for.

Thanks!

Jeremy

#2 7 years ago

Anything that is fully working and cheap.

#3 7 years ago

Anything that has more features (drop targets, roto-targets, or multiple flippers) can mean more maintenance.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Anything that is fully working and cheap.

Seriously, find something that works and it will be the best pinball machine you have. Reassess after a couple months then pick again. EZ game.

#5 7 years ago

If it's from the 70s, it's probably not that bad. 60s can be really good, or really not. Spinners and drops are the way to go, personally

#6 7 years ago

A really good and fun game is Spanish Eyes. Lower pop makes for an exciting game. Also, the game is a one player with no bonus unit and no drop targets.....Pretty simple game but challenging too. Pretty easy to work on.

#7 7 years ago

I'm quite partial to the El Dorado/Solar City/Target Alpha layout. Tons of drop target fun for everyone!

Also, Grand Prix.

#8 7 years ago

Are you sure you want an EM..... They are a PITA to kep playing right. Especially if you let them sit for extended periods of time.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Are you sure you want an EM..... They are a PITA to kep playing right. Especially if you let them sit for extended periods of time.

That's nonsense.

#10 7 years ago

Thank you all I will keep an eye out in my area for the pinball named above and if anything shows up.

Thanks!

Jeremy

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's nonsense.

Levi..... you know damb well the longer EMs sit without playing them the more problems that arise.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Levi..... you know damb well the longer EMs sit without playing them the more problems that arise.

My Grand Prix has been solidly reliable for something with very little play. I've had it since 1977 as a young kid. After the first 5 or so years it just got very sporadic play at best and the last 5 hardly gets played at all but I know I can turn it on at any time and it will play perfect. On the other hand, every Gottlieb EM I've ever had needed constant tweaking to keep playing well. Those Ax Bx relays are just too tempermental. Too bad because Gottlieb's have some of the best themes and game play.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

While I agree, at the same time, mine also sometimes sit for weeks or very rarely months at a time (I have 21 EM machines, with around 18 or so set up) and run fine. Chances are if your EM machine is having feature problems *only because it sat* (and you got lucky and the switch dirt is in a feature area and not in the start-up line so you can actually start it successfully and play it), play a few games to straighten it out again and it will begin to work again. So although I do not fully agree with hoby1 (but mostly!), I do think it is not valid to call it "nonsense", Levi.

Quoted from RyThom:

Also, Grand Prix.

I hear this game specifically is a repair nightmare though. Not sure why. I'm not saying it's not a reliable game, but I'm saying I've heard stories from people who HAVE had to service it for whatever reason, and apparently it's a complicated one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-purchase-for-family and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.