85259d90d047e29b15b73221f260371bb9975070_(resized).jpg
0_(resized).jpg
IMG_20151211_191746.jpg
IMG_20151211_191624.jpg
482848.jpg
IMG_20151208_212527.jpg
IMG_20151209_203242_01.jpg
IMG_20151208_191345.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatcake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I finally caved and bought my first pinball! It's a Fireball Classic. I've been able to do a lot of searching and have answered most of my questions, but I still have two questions that are stumping me.

1. The tilt doesn't seem to work at all. I've attached a pic of the assembly below. I've started a game and have physically pushed the plumbob into the brass housing and the game will not tilt. The silver colored weight that's next to the plumb bob works fine. If I get that silver weight to make contact it will shut down the game and restart. If I push the ball on the guide that's on the top of the assembly against the switch on the right, the game doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if these issues are connected at all, but I'd figure I'd give that info anyway.
IMG_20151208_191345.jpgIMG_20151208_191345.jpg

2. This issue makes me cry. Some fool applied a piece of adhesive foam directly onto the backglass. IMG_20151209_203242_01.jpgIMG_20151209_203242_01.jpg When the pin is all lit up, this is quite the eyesore. IMG_20151208_212527.jpgIMG_20151208_212527.jpg From what I know, backglass artwork is very fragile and I'm very afraid to remove this adhesive foam (maybe I shouldn't remove it at all). I'm afraid that the adhesive backing will pull up the artwork and make it look worse than it does now. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to safely remove this? Should I even take the risk at all?

Thanks in advance! I'm very excited to be a part of this community!

#8 8 years ago

Collin you were dead on!!! I soldered that wire to the plumbob and now the tilt works fine! Not sure how I managed to take a picture of that loose wire and completely miss that. Hahah oh well.

I decided that I was going to see how stuck the foam was. If I had to apply any sort of medium force to remove it, then I was going to leave the foam for good. Thankfully it came off with no issues at all! The adhesive did leave a small amount of residue behind. Should I try to clean it with something?

IMG_20151211_191624.jpgIMG_20151211_191624.jpg

It looks so much better now!

IMG_20151211_191746.jpgIMG_20151211_191746.jpg

So now I'm down to one last question! A few of the rollover targets refuse to work. I tried cleaning the contacts with a business card and I bought a tool to bend the leaf spring to make sure that the switch is making contact when the ball rolls over. It seems like the switches are totally making contact but the game doesn't register it. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the rollover targets?

You guys are amazing! I'm so excited to be a part of this hobby and community!

#13 8 years ago

Vid1900, turns out the rollover targets are on the same switch number. I had one switch that was making constant contact, which caused the rest of the rollovers to stop working. I adjusted the switch and the problem went away.

Not too many issues left on this table now! Thank you so much for your help everyone!

I guess now that this table is good to go, I need to go out and get another.

3 weeks later
#14 8 years ago

So I'm back with another question...

I hosted a party and fireball got a good 4 hours of constant play. Towards the end of night the left flipper got stuck in the up position. I knew enough that it's not uncommon for coils to stay energized, so I immediately turned off the pin. The flipper did not come back down. When I lifted up the playfield to look at the flipper, there was a strong smell of burning/hot plastic. If I try to move the flipper up and down with my hand there is a lot of resistance. The flipper doesn't want to move at all. It feels seized up. So I'm assuming my flipper problem is mechanical and not electrical.

Do I need to go immediately to buying a flipper rebuild kit and rebuild the flipper? Or is there anything I can try before I rebuild?

#18 8 years ago

Ok. Before I take anything apart, I just want to go over the core concepts and make sure I understand everything clearly.

Quoted from vid1900:

Your EOS Switch was probably not gapped enough, so whenever the flipper was held in the up position, the high power section of the coil was still on.

It looks like my EOS switch is missing the rubber piece that helps the EOS switch break open when the flipper is up. This should explain why the coil burned up the plastic sleeve, correct? So I definitely need a rebuild kit for a new sleeve and EOS switch (I guess while I'm at it I replace everything else too).

Quoted from vid1900:

1. See if you can get that sleeve out (press the coil flat on a table). With tape, mark where the wires were soldered to the coil in relation to THE BAND ON THE COIL DIODE.

So in this case my bands on the coil diodes are on the "bottom" and the wires follow a specific order. If have to get a new coil and the diode bands were on the "top" then I would need to flip the ordering of the wires. If the diodes are different then I'll post on here to verify I got the wire ordering right. Sorry I'm a total noob.

What the removal steps for the coil? Just de-solder the wires and unscrew the assembly from the table?

0_(resized).jpg0_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#24 8 years ago

I started taking apart the flipper mech and couldn't undo the hex nut that holds in the flipper arm. I couldn't get enough leverage with the allen wrench. Any suggestions on how to get this loose?

unnamed_(resized).jpgunnamed_(resized).jpg

#28 8 years ago

Thanks guys! The torch suggestion worked great!

I ended up just doing a regular rebuild and kept it stock. I didn't feel like I quite had the confidence yet to take on the awesome conversion Vid suggested.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatcake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-pin-two-questions?tu=fatcake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.