9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03075-264.JPG
DSC03074.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NunjoBiznezz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 9 years ago

Just finishing my first attempt, seems to be going well.

My lessons learned:

1. Mask inside of cabinet to prevent overspray
2. Mask top of cab (where head would sit) when painting sides (overspray again)
3. Remember to do your spattering at the right time (after white?)
4. Make sure you spatter paint is the right consistency and test, test, test before spattering cabinet
5. Use good paint (best luck so far with Rustoleum Universal)

For me the base coat was the biggest pain, I used Rustoleum spray and had a lot of problems with runs. In the end I painted each surface as it laid horizontally to prevent runs, nothing else work, no matter how light I thought I was spraying.

The first stencil was a piece of cake as there is nothing to line up to, the second color much harder as you have to get the alignment right and if you make mistakes sometimes it's hard to peel up and re-place the stencil. I'm open to ideason how to place the second stencil, I had my wife help me and we started on one side of the cab and slowly removed the mask from the backing as we went to the other side of the cab, and of course any mistake you make in alignment is magnified at the other end as the error "grows".

Overall it was not too hard, I'm removing the second stencil layer when I get home from work.

Good luck!

#6 9 years ago

I cut up a really coarse plastic bristle brush to use for spatter and blew air through it with my air compressor. Mixed results, I was going for just dots but got some larger "dumbells" from that method. Here it is, fresh out of the paint room!

DSC03074.JPGDSC03074.JPG DSC03075-264.JPGDSC03075-264.JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NunjoBiznezz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-painting-using-a-stencil-kit-s?tu=NunjoBiznezz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.