• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by paulace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys,
I'm going to attempt my first frisket/airbrush repainting of a Fast Draw pf soon, and just had a beginner question about the use of frisket. After you spray paint on the frisketed areas, how long do you wait before peeling off the frisket. Do you peel it off while the paint's still kind of wet? Do you let the paint dry completely? I worry about the edges doing something funny if I let the paint dry completely, but maybe it doesn't matter. Any folks with experience want to chime in?

Thanks for any advice.

#2 4 years ago

This is required reading:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/2#post-629534

FWIW I always pull it dry, you want the paint to set before removal. If it pulls your PF paint with it, then you are doing something wrong. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Make sure you study the entire work, it's full of helpful tidbits.

#3 4 years ago

I pull it after the paint dries. When I first started using it years ago pulling it while wet would pull up strings of paint along the edges making a mess depending on the thickness of the paint. Thinner coats yield better results and if you have a raised edge you can always feather sand that out and clear over it.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks guys - yes, I agree Vid's guides are always great places to start. I'll re-read that one. It sounds like waiting for the paint to dry/set before pulling the firsket off is the way to go. It makes sense that the paint would have to dry and bond with the pf surface before you start tugging on it by pulling off the frisket - I just worried about the edge where the frisket meets the paint doing something funny if the paint is dry/stiffer....but I'm probably just over-thinking it.

#6 4 years ago

I agree with everything others already said , especially reading Vids guide on frisketing .
I restored a Fast draw using frisket ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fast-draw-playfield-restoration-first-ever-attempt-#post-4461751 ) some time ago.
Sometimes when the painted area is very thin or with intricate shapes you must be on the lookout when removing frisket and be ready to cut with a xacto blade the edge of the paint so as to minimize paint lifting along with the frisket.
Good luck

#7 4 years ago

Thanks phototamer - I'll keep that in mind and have a sharp exacto knife close at hand.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-frisket-user and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.