(Topic ID: 156247)

First Time EM owner - Skipping ball help (Jumping Jack)

By Pinballrus

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wariodolby
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0JitB-Work1_(resized).jpg
image-1_(resized).jpg
aJitB-Adj_(resized).jpg
IMG_3002_(resized).JPG
IMG_2999_(resized).JPG
IMG_2998_(resized).JPG
IMG_2997_(resized).JPG
IMG_2987_(resized).JPG
IMG_2986_(resized).JPG
Capture_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hi - first time EM owner with my first issue to solve.

Pin: Jumping Jack

Issues:
A) Skipping ball one B) Counting the bonus for ball 1 and going right to ball 2. C) Won't start a 2 player game. However If the ball is in the shooter lane, it allows you to play ball one, but still won't start a 2 player game.

Started to read through this, though a lot is still fairly foreign.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#wrong

Any input on where to begin would be great.

#2 8 years ago

Should I be checking the score motor switches?

#3 8 years ago

If it makes any difference, it scores 40 points in bonus for the ball it skips. I've gone through and cleaned a ton of different things in somewhat of a shotgun approach with no success, would love to have a bit more of a clear idea of what I'm looking for if anyone could help. I've done a bunch of reading, but am still feeling a bit lost

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Moved to EM Tech where those with ancient knowledge reside. Ohmmmm.

Thanks! And as a bit more info - score reels do all reset to zero.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Dont have that pin, but I would start with the player unit, and the coin unit. they work together.
then bonus unit, any relays that say bonus, or coin, etc.

Thanks for the reply -
Anything specific I should be looking for? I gave the stepper unit a pretty good cleaning and fixed a broken coil stop (I used a coil stop from a pop bumper kit as a replacement, it looked to be the same size). I'll look over the coin unit (showing my EM noobness, but assuming this lives on the door?)

#10 8 years ago

Cool - thanks. I can post a pic of the schematic w/ operating sequence a bit later today when I get home.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks all - doing some more digging and will report back!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

By 'skipping ball 1' do you mean that when you start a game it goes right to ball 2?
I have seen videos by Clay where he showed Gottlieb steppers need to start BEFORE the first ball; maybe your stepper unit is not aligned properly so it advances past ball one on start up? Some photos might help.
This video may be useful: » YouTube video

Skipping ball 1 means the game goes through the reset, does everything up to kicking out the ball into the shooter lane, then instead it ends the ball and counts bonus. Then the ball kicks out as ball 2

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

On the first ball, does the Player Unit advance when the ball is kicked into the shooter lane?
I would check the ZB First Ball Relay in the control bank. Contacts on ZB control the operation of the 2ND PLAYER RELAY "PB" and also advances the ADD "PLAYER" UNIT. Check the switch stack screws are tight, switch operation and for wires shorting on the solder tabs.
Capture_(resized).JPG

It doesn't look like the player unit advances, but the ball doesn't kick out for ball 1 (though I'm not positive I'm checking this correctly).

I'll try to locate the ZB and PB switches and contacts. Though again, I'm not sure exactly where those are

#16 8 years ago

Some photos - some of these solders look a bit suspect?

IMG_2986_(resized).JPGIMG_2986_(resized).JPG

IMG_2987_(resized).JPGIMG_2987_(resized).JPG

#17 8 years ago

Let me know if there are photos of anything specific that would help

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I'd like to determine whether the Player Unit is advanced by the ball in the outhole or as it crosses the trough switch (under the apron) before it enters the shooter lane.
Try this: remove the ball from the outhole and reset the game. Operate the outhole switch manually and see if the Player Unit advances and bonus counts.

Will try this evening and report back!

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I'd like to determine whether the Player Unit is advanced by the ball in the outhole or as it crosses the trough switch (under the apron) before it enters the shooter lane.
Try this: remove the ball from the outhole and reset the game. Operate the outhole switch manually and see if the Player Unit advances and bonus counts.

Reporting back -
No ball in and reset the game. Stays on player 1, ball 1 to start the game.
When I press the outhole (drain) switch it does count 30 bonus, but it does NOT advance ball.
When I press the trough switch it adds 10 bonus and advances the ball.

Does that give us any helpful info?

#22 8 years ago

Great - let me know anything else I could check that would help, or if you want me to post photos of the schematics

#24 8 years ago

Took a look at the ZB contacts and they seemed OK, there was one spot that looked like there was maybe some contact, but it didn't solve anything by giving it more space. Some photos (bottom is closest photo of ZB, one above it is 2nd player, then some further out ones)

IMG_2997_(resized).JPGIMG_2997_(resized).JPG

IMG_2998_(resized).JPGIMG_2998_(resized).JPG

IMG_2999_(resized).JPGIMG_2999_(resized).JPG

IMG_3002_(resized).JPGIMG_3002_(resized).JPG

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

The Player Unit should't be advanced by the trough switch until the first ball has been played. (The 1st Ball relay ZB is operated by either the 10 or 100 point relay....)
Having just typed that last sentence I realized that the bonus that is being scored is operating the ZB relay! Check that all the drop targets are resetting correctly and the switches (two for each target) are all fully open.

The drop targets all seemed to be resetting OK, though there is a bunch of grease in there. I decided to pull the whole bank (maybe a mistake!) and am going to finish cleaning them up tomorrow to make sure everything is tight and crisp.

1 week later
#27 8 years ago

Went through and cleaned the drop target assembly completely - and now I seem to still have the old issues and a few new ones.

1) When you get an extra ball, it continues to give you an extra ball after each drain.
2) When you earn the extra ball, it tries to kick out a new ball, not sure if that is supposed to happen or not.

But damn, I'm getting really frustrated.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

So it starts up OK now?

Still starts up the same as it was - goes through the reset of everything, then instead of kicking out ball one, it counts the 30 bonus in the outhole, kicks the ball out for ball 2 (as it passes over the trough switch it adds another 10 points) then you begin on ball 2.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Pinballrus
do You have a schema ? I do not own this kind of pin - but have a schema for "Jack in the Box".
Your 1): Here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1329&picno=8415 -> the shooter-Alley ->way up -> a "bent wire" -> underneathside of the playfield -> a Normally-closed-Switch - in my Jack in the Box schema at H-7 it is called "Runway-Switch" - when actuated: It cuts "Self-Hold-Circuitry of BX-Extraball-Relay". Does this switch opens ? A drop of solder on the side where the wires are soldered-on ?
Your 2): I have played this machine - I do not remember ... Question: Is Your pin set to "Liberal" or "Medium" or "Conservative" (Special Frequency Adj.) ? I do NOT believe it affects that strange "behavoir" - but "nice to know for looking in the schema".
Question: When You gain an extraball (and so "fault 2)"): AAA: ONLY the kicker (Ball Return Coil) is activated <-> BBB: The O-Outhole-Relay pulls-in and the Score-Motor turns ?
(((Maybe a Normally-Open-Switch on O-Relay is faulty closed ?))) Greetings Rolf

aJitB-Adj_(resized).jpg

Thanks -
1 - Sorry not sure exactly which switch you are referring to? I'm happy to check it if you can help me figure out which one to look at.

2 - I will have to take a look, but I have it set to liberal I believe as that would give the least number of extra balls and most number of specials (wanted it to be harder to get extra balls).

I think what you are asking is - When I get an extra ball does the ball return coil activate and score motor turn? If that is the case, then yes, that is what happens.

If there are any photos that would help, let me know and I can post them

#33 8 years ago

Hi Pinballrus
I would like to concentrate for now on that Switch underneath the playfield, here the picture from ipdb - enriched with a green circle -> there is the switch. Greetings Rolf

image-1_(resized).jpg

Thanks! that photo helps a bunch. Will check it out and report back!

#34 8 years ago

Hi Pinballrus
I would like to concentrate for now on that Switch underneath the playfield, here the picture from ipdb - enriched with a green circle -> there is the switch. Greetings Rolf

image-1_(resized).jpg

Didn't notice anything off about the switch, closed normally and opens when the ball travels over it. No weird connections where the wires meet or anything like that. Is there something specific you would like me to look for?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Check the "drop target series switch" on the target bank (closes when all targets down).
Check that all switches on the bank are open when the drop targets are in reset position.

Will check the "drop target series switch" later today, but can tell you all switches on the bank are open when in the reset position

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Did you have the extra ball issues before you cleaned the drop target bank?

Nope this is a new issue after cleaning.

#40 8 years ago

Hi Pinballrus
a strange situation. I show a snippet of schema Jack in the Box. I want to find out AAA: The problem is in the circuitry of "Self-Hold-circuitry" - BBB: The problem is in the circuitry of "feeding the Coil on the Extraball-Relay - BUT faulty feeding-forever".
Please look for the BX-Extraball-Relay -> a short wire of any-color runs from one side of the coil to a switchblade (usually Bottom-Switch, bottom blade). AT THAT Solder-Lug is also soldered on: One or two wires "color-white". THE OTHER Switchblade has soldered-on: One wire "color-blue-mingled-with-black" -> UNSOLDER*** wire "blue-black". Then start a game and gain "Extraball" - have a good look at the BX-Extraball-Relay: Does it pull-in and let go (means problem-type AAA) <-> it pulls-in and keeps-on pulling (means problem-type BBB) ? (((A slight chance - CCC is: The relay does NOT pull-in - not a tiny bit of pulling)))
What do You have ? (AAA or BBB or CCC) ?
UNSOLDER***: K-Mart and such stores -> Automotive Departement -> Car Electrics -> single plugs (male and female) - You can mount these plugs by squeezing --- using a pair of pliers.
Unsoldering a wire is easy - but when I am afraid of "cannot solder the wire back-on": Then I cut the wire a couple if inches away the solder-lug --- and mount such plugs - I take a cigarettd lighter and burn away a bit of the insulation ...
Theory: problem-type-BBB would be strange - circuitry with many switches (would have to be faulty) these circuitrys end in a wire-color-WHITE.
problem-type-AAA is rather simple - BUT You have written "checked the runway switch and this switch is good".
So I want to find out: Do You have AAA or BBB or CCC ? Greetings Rolf

0JitB-Work1_(resized).jpg

Thanks Rolf - I'll dig deeper into this later today, will likely need to have the game in front of me to fully understand all that you are asking. But greatly appreciate your time and detail! You too WOZ!

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

So the cleaning changed something then
Did you remove the bank from the playfield? Did you desolder any wires? Can you post some closeup pics of the target bank?

Yep - it did change something. Though not sure what. I'll get some good photos this evening. I did remove the bank from the playfield, but did not desolder anything.

#44 8 years ago

Life has been getting in the way a bit, I won't be able to get back to Jack till probably next week. I really appreciate you guys working with me - we'll get it sorted! Thanks and don't give up on me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-em-owner-skipping-ball-help-jumping-jack?tu=Pinballrus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.