(Topic ID: 153263)

First time buying a pin because of the theme...

By edwinpblue

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by system11
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider system11.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 8 years ago

I can't enjoy even the best game if the theme isn't working for me. I'm not fussed about whether a game is licensed or not but it has to be interesting and pleasing to my eye or I'm not going to put a coin in, and certainly not own one.

Theme also strongly influences the type of music in a game and pin music is somewhat of a lost art these days despite being incredibly important. Think back to the Bally/WMS/Gottlieb era and it was normal for games to have situational audio, catchy tunes and so on. Now we have a rash of dismal orchestral tedium on many games, and jukebox style 'this tune plays until you pick another' on the band games.

Let's look at three recent examples of where theme can make or break a game on audio:
1) Tron - the theme turns what could have been a 'decent' machine with a couple of suspect shot angles into a stellar one. Great music which changes according to the currently active mode, giving a sense of reaching goals. How awesome is it when you hit Quorra multiball? I miss my LE even now.
2) Wizard Of Oz - "we want games as complex as the 90s!". Well here one is, and while I like the theme itself when I watched a lot of videos recently I couldn't own one because that Yellow Brick Road song is so repetitive. The theme has elevated and then harmed a machine in terms of how much I would enjoy it.
3) Game Of Thrones - you could put the best game in the world out here and the music (dictated by the theme) generates a feeling of intense disinterest. I felt the same way about LOTR, boring orchestral film music. I can't even tell when the tune has changed really, I just don't give a fuck.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from system11:

2) Wizard Of Oz - "we want games as complex as the 90s!". Well here one is, and while I like the theme itself when I watched a lot of videos recently I couldn't own one because that Yellow Brick Road song is so repetitive. The theme has elevated and then harmed a machine in terms of how much I would enjoy it.

I take this back. I got to play one in person today and the main tune hardly played. It could be because I'm bad, but something else was always going on. It's now on my wanted list!

I got to play GOT too and playing that confirmed my opinion. Really didn't like it at all due to the audio.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider system11.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-buying-a-pin-because-of-the-theme?tu=system11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.