(Topic ID: 153263)

First time buying a pin because of the theme...

By edwinpblue

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by system11
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

My Kiss pinball gets delivered today; they were my first three concerts. While I'm a huge nascar fan I never really got into their pin which will make kiss the first pin that I've owned that was purchased because of the theme. On an aside I seem to love the pins that everyone else hates inc Bbh, Trs and avatar so maybe I should find a wwe because I loved wrestling. It was completely awesome when wwf and the flair/sting wtbs group (I forget the name) merged bring fans the NWO.

#2 3 years ago

My most recent pickup: Bally Space Invaders, really just because of the theme. I'm a big fan of that weird Alien movie art. If it was based entirely on the video game I would have not been interested.

#3 3 years ago

I too like the alien art work. I'm assuming there is a back story there? I.e. A movie tie-in that didn't happen.
Do you know of any places to play in Columbus? We have soccer games down there in March and April.

#4 3 years ago

I picked up a South Park several years ago because of the theme. I didn't like it very much but to this day I can't really say why.

#5 3 years ago

Every pin I've owned or is on my want list is due to theme. People get caught up in what game is "great", but the reality is that even the newer pins that aren't ranked high on the "top 100" are still fun...

NASCAR could be the best pin in the world, but I'd never own one due to the theme...

It's the same reason I'll be first in line for a new Stern Star Wars pin...

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I picked up a South Park several years ago because of the theme.

I also bought South Park just because of the theme. Not many hard shots on the game or deep rules but I love the show. Any other theme on that playfield; I'd be turned away.

#7 3 years ago

Yes, theme matters. However, the gameplay still has to be good. I want to love Avengers because the theme appeals but the reason I haven't gotten one yet is that the game play seems to get panned. I don't have enough time on one to actually know for sure and that is a real expensive bet to take. There is a really nice looking Avengers in the pinside marketplace now, hmmm maybe.......

#8 3 years ago

Kiss is a fun themed pinball. Great game play, and you can pump the volume up for that concert front row feel.

#9 3 years ago

Theme and pinball have nothing to do with each other. Themes are a necessary evil in order to sell machines. I accepted a long time ago that a pinball theme means nothing if the design is not there.

If you don't mind paying 5 grand for something that is poorly designed and you are ok with the theme only, good on you. . You play pinball, not the theme. Theme is more artistic and it can be very poorly implemented. I actually feel that the most recent Stern Star Trek theme was a poor effort. However, the game is fantastic and one of Stern's best. Reinterates the fact that theme means nothing.

I love Disney's classic Tron but the theme had a completely different feel when Stern did it. They had to comply with the liscence. I would not own Tron pinball if it sucked and happened to just be a "Tron theme". That makes no sense to someone that just wants to play a good game of pinball with friends.

Now, to me, theme can enhance a good pin and make it great. Case in point would be TAF, TZ, or Metallica. But theme should never be the starting point, if you are a true fan of pinball.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

But theme should never be the starting point, if you are a true fan of pinball.

I think true collectors can appreciate great themes above and beyond a not-so-great playing table. Lots of woodrails, for example, get high ratings for art but score really low for game play. Even some modern pinheads who only play the latest fast games appreciate old EMs with art, maybe even own them, but don't care for the sluggish gameplay - this dosn't make them any less of a fan of pinball. To me, that's like saying a person who doesn't play football can't be a fan of it.

#11 3 years ago

POTC is my first pin purchase where theme is a big factor (picking it up next weekend). I've always loved the movies, and I have a tiki-themed gameroom. I wouldn't say theme was the ONLY factor, but it played a big role. Who doesn't love pirates?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Theme and pinball have nothing to do with each other.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. You can't say they have nothing to do with each other. WH2O has a ton of ramps and the whirlpool and the "waterslide" ramp down the left side, which makes the game fun and is definitely indicative of the theme. Having a whirlpool shot/ramp on a Nascar really wouldn't mesh...would it? Themes matter more now especially with Stern games, because the games are designed somewhat generically off a template. You don't see games like WH2O getting produced anymore...games now have the same smaller ramps, tiny pops, etc. The theme has taken over for Stern for the most part. But JJP's WOZ has a ton of fun shots, ramps all over the place...good design. The PF actually comes up to the glass because of all the ramps, toys and trinkets...the game actually fills the cabinet. I'm not a Wizard of Oz fan...but would I own a WOZ at some point? Hell yeah. Jack and his team did a good job on that game...art package, sound, design and the game plays extremely well.

Quoted from wayout440:

I think true collectors can appreciate great themes above and beyond a not-so-great playing table.

Most pinheads tell you never to buy a game based solely on theme...but I've done it multiple times without even playing the game first. And I've rarely regretted it. As wayout said, even if the gameplay is somewhat sluggish, most hobbyists can find something they like about a game. Unless you only want to own one pin, it's nice to have other attractive pins, or themes you like in your collection. Game play will not always be optimal on every pin you like the artwork on.

For instance, I have a GTB Sys 80 Spidey. Game play is what it is, but I love that game. Not horrible to play at all...enough shots to keep you busy, and I really like the blips and beeps that soundboard spits out. Some people just don't like wide bodies. If you have the space, I would have that Spidey just to stare at the original Marvel artwork all day. Attractive BG, and the PF art is absolutely awesome on that pin.

Would I spend $7,500 on a pin just because of the theme or art? Probably not. But IMO there are only very few pins I've ever come across, EM, SS, DMD, etc. that I thought the gameplay was absolutely horrible and there was nothing to like. I've played several pins that I could not stand the theme on but they were great...and I'd definitely grab one of those if I came across one at a great price.

Look at AC/DC. That is a very well designed game, and even more fun and attractive modded out. But I know people that have that pin, yet they cannot stand AC/DC.

#13 3 years ago

Never done it myself, but I've never had "the perfect theme" for me like you have with Kiss. If it were an Evil Dead 2 pin I'm sure I'd buy it without playing...is would be a very narrow window of themes though.

#14 3 years ago

That's why I ordered my Metallica. I have been listening to their music for so many years it's like the holy grail of fan items to own.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from attitude05:

That's why I ordered my Metallica. I have been listening to their music for so many years it's like the holy grail of fan items to own.

Funny, I bought my MET in spite of the theme. It was the combination of art, metal ramps and toys that sold me on it. But then a funny thing happened...I started to like Metallica.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Funny, I bought my MET in spite of the theme. It was the combination of art, metal ramps and toys that sold me on it. But then a funny thing happened...I started to like Metallica.

I'm the same with all of this except the metal ramps and eventually liking Metallica

#17 3 years ago

Mustang Premium, Due to being so far from a distro to see one in person. Just bought it, based on photos and game play description. Bought just because of the theme.

#18 3 years ago

I was a Metallica fan first, then a pinball fan, and now I'm both....if my machine ever makes it here LOL

#19 3 years ago

I own a GT500 so maybe I should pick up a mustang!!! I could stick a race red (with white stripes) car in the game!

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

POTC is my first pin purchase where theme is a big factor (picking it up next weekend). I've always loved the movies, and I have a tiki-themed gameroom. I wouldn't say theme was the ONLY factor, but it played a big role. Who doesn't love pirates?

Gilligan's Island would be another great addition to your tiki game room. Love the talking volcano. "I am Kona. God of the island."

I'd put it and POTC right by the bar.

And then I'll copy you when I have a proper game room space. A tiki game room is my dream.

#21 3 years ago

I bought TRON without ever even seeing it - just based on the descriptions. Picked up the last LE in stock at my local distributor. Got lucky there.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. You can't say they have nothing to do with each other.

OK, I will rephrase... Theme and PLAYING pinball have nothing to do with each other. That's what I meant.

#23 3 years ago

Lord of the rings is my grail pin an was bought on game play not theme, because I never watched the movies or got into the books, but definitely watch them now due to knowing the story line through the game.
The Simpsons pinball party I bought for theme without playing the pin , I know it's good game with so much going for it but it's not my favourite not buy a mile, an I'm a huge Simpsons fan.
A couple of other games that I think are fantastic an not into theme at all are, Grand Prix, Metallica, walking dead an mustang. Congrats on your kiss it's a sweet game, an I think the data east royal rumble is more bang for your buck than wwe wrestle mania.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

But theme should never be the starting point, if you are a true fan of pinball.

Theming means a lot. I need to look at a machine, and feel excited to start a game. I bought a machine having never played it, only seeing videos, and with a theme that I was not big on. I never got into it. Lesson learned on my end.

On the contrary, I had never watched GoT, but played the pin and liked it. I am now watching GoT on Blu-ray.

#25 3 years ago

Question RE shaker motors. I noticed in kiss that the mount is on the right and not the left. I've had a shaker motor sitting around for about 4 years; are there any issues hooking it up? Thnx.

Btw I have about 5 games in with the code that it was shipped with (1.3?) and I want to put quite a few more in before I upgrade the code.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Having a whirlpool shot/ramp on a Nascar really wouldn't mesh...would it?

It would be called Spin out in the infield or something to that effect...So just because on Wh2O it is called the whirpool doesn't mean it can't be used on another theme and renamed.

I base my like more on game play than theme...if I like the way it plays then theme is a secondary thing...

Phoebe

#27 3 years ago

My first NIB pin was TSPP because I'm a Simpsons geek. I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to the hype and I was happily mistaken.

Congrats on your KISS!

#28 3 years ago

Congrats, I haven't played a ton of Kiss, but enjoyed the play especially the last few weeks. I love the artwork and layout.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

But JJP's WOZ has a ton of fun shots, ramps all over the place...good design.

You realize WOZ has one ramp right? Haha.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

Question RE shaker motors. I noticed in kiss that the mount is on the right and not the left. I've had a shaker motor sitting around for about 4 years; are there any issues hooking it up? Thnx.
Btw I have about 5 games in with the code that it was shipped with (1.3?) and I want to put quite a few more in before I upgrade the code.

You need a spike shaker motor. If you are able to use that old shaker, I'm sure you will have to modify it in some way to run on your Spike system.

1 month later
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You realize WOZ has one ramp right? Haha.

Hahaha...one plastic ramp.

#32 3 years ago

I own & love my Baywatch. Think I give a rat's ass about theme? I think not. It's more about game play for me. The theme immerses you more. Love the theme of Hobbit, can't stand the game. Just my 2 rubles.

#33 3 years ago

I bought Twilight Zone for the theme mainly but I love the pin now too.

#34 3 years ago

I bought Dr. Who, South Park, Simpsons DE and Simpsons Pinball Party purely for their themes. I was familiar with the gameplay on DW, SP, and Simp DE before purchasing them. They are all still in the lineup, and not going anywhere.

Super Fart Bumpers. Need I say more?

Don C.

#35 3 years ago

I can't enjoy even the best game if the theme isn't working for me. I'm not fussed about whether a game is licensed or not but it has to be interesting and pleasing to my eye or I'm not going to put a coin in, and certainly not own one.

Theme also strongly influences the type of music in a game and pin music is somewhat of a lost art these days despite being incredibly important. Think back to the Bally/WMS/Gottlieb era and it was normal for games to have situational audio, catchy tunes and so on. Now we have a rash of dismal orchestral tedium on many games, and jukebox style 'this tune plays until you pick another' on the band games.

Let's look at three recent examples of where theme can make or break a game on audio:
1) Tron - the theme turns what could have been a 'decent' machine with a couple of suspect shot angles into a stellar one. Great music which changes according to the currently active mode, giving a sense of reaching goals. How awesome is it when you hit Quorra multiball? I miss my LE even now.
2) Wizard Of Oz - "we want games as complex as the 90s!". Well here one is, and while I like the theme itself when I watched a lot of videos recently I couldn't own one because that Yellow Brick Road song is so repetitive. The theme has elevated and then harmed a machine in terms of how much I would enjoy it.
3) Game Of Thrones - you could put the best game in the world out here and the music (dictated by the theme) generates a feeling of intense disinterest. I felt the same way about LOTR, boring orchestral film music. I can't even tell when the tune has changed really, I just don't give a fuck.

#36 3 years ago

Theme offers the attraction, but game play rules over all. There are some great games out there that are ignored due to individual issues with theme.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Hahaha...one plastic ramp.

Why do people like metal ramps more than plastic; just durability? Always preferred a plastic ramp myself.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Why do people like metal ramps more than plastic; just durability? Always preferred a plastic ramp myself.

They sound and look pretty cool. I've had to replace/repair more broken welded metal ramps and scoops than plastic ramps, so the durability point is moot in my eyes.

But some guy named Canadda or something told me that all Hobbit ramps are going to break, maybe plastic is the way to go.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

They sound and look pretty cool.

I'm finding this an interesting topic actually. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that DE always had metal ramps that I'fe always liked plastic more; weird.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from DefaultGen:

They sound and look pretty cool. I've had to replace/repair more broken welded metal ramps and scoops than plastic ramps, so the durability point is moot in my eyes.

For me, metal ramps can be fixed easily and re-powdercoated, and just in general hold up better. Plastic gets discolored, patina, cracked, broken, smashed, etc. At least for me, it hasn't been often that I bought a game with plastic ramps where something wasn't chipped, cracked, repaired very poorly with clear tape or glue, or just had some issue with mounting or otherwise.

Another downfall, not every plastic ramp for every pin is still available to buy new for replacement. You can always find some wireform ramps and make a new one fairly easy if necessary (ok, well not that easy).

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

2) Wizard Of Oz - "we want games as complex as the 90s!". Well here one is, and while I like the theme itself when I watched a lot of videos recently I couldn't own one because that Yellow Brick Road song is so repetitive. The theme has elevated and then harmed a machine in terms of how much I would enjoy it.

I take this back. I got to play one in person today and the main tune hardly played. It could be because I'm bad, but something else was always going on. It's now on my wanted list!

I got to play GOT too and playing that confirmed my opinion. Really didn't like it at all due to the audio.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 6,999.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside