Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrFancy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrFancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hey what's up everybody! I'm moving from an apartment to a house and looking to buy my first machine. I'm in the DC-MD-VA area, looking to spend in the $750-$2000 range, or maybe a little more for a great deal. I've been doing my research and have found a lot of good advice here and elsewhere on the internet, still have a few questions though:

1. When an ad says there's some wear on the playfield, is that just a cosmetic thing or does it affect the game play? If it does affect game play, does it usually mean there are a couple of spots where the ball rolls a little funny, or can a worn playfield completely screw up the gameplay?

2. I'd like to learn how to take care of my machine, but I'm not very good at stuff like that and I don't have a good set of tools. Considering that I'm looking at an older machine, are there any that are particularly easy or hard to maintain?

3. I don't live too far from York, PA- would it be worth holding off until the show there in October? Would it be risky for me to buy a machine that way since I don't really know exactly what to look for in terms of damage, warning signs, etc.?

Thanks!

#6 5 years ago

Thanks all! Great idea to stop by VUK on a Sunday, I’ll do that.

1 week later
    #7 5 years ago

Thanks again for the advice- I’ve got one more question You guys and other people I’ve heard from have convinced me that I’m better off spending a bit more for a newer machine that won’t need as much maintenance and repair. The ones I’ve found that I’m considering are a Spider-man and a Ghostbusters Pro, both in great condition and in the $4-$5k range (leaning towards the SM).

My question now is, how hard or easy do you guys think it would be to re-sell a machine like those later on? If the price I’m asking is fair value, could I be confident that I could find a buyer within a few months, or is that not necessarily the case? I live in the DC/Baltimore area if that matters.

#9 5 years ago

Thanks, that’s helpful, I’ll check the want lists.

Also just to clarify, I wasn’t trying to say I’d sell it a few months after I bought it... just wanted to know if I can be sure that I’ll be able to sell it if I decide to do that later on.

I don’t mind losing some money on it, but it would be a whole lot easier to drop $5k (and more to the point to convince the wife!) if I knew I could get most of it back if worse came to worse.

2 weeks later
    #10 5 years ago

Just made my first legit offer, hoping it’s accepted!

#12 5 years ago

Dirty Harry... picking it up next weekend

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Anonymouse:

Good luck. I hope you're not walking into a nest of raiders who want you to be the gimp

Yeah, the guy I bought it from said something about needing a new gimp- I guess that's pinball slang for "buyer" or something, right?

#16 5 years ago

Here's another newb question- how much space would you say is the minimum you should have between games in order to be able to play comfortably? I could fit 4 average width pins in my basement with about 8" between them on each side- is that enough?

#20 5 years ago

4 pins it is! I love you guys

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrFancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-buyer-questions?tu=MrFancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.