4%
  • Game Show 5 votes
    5%
  • Gladiators 5 votes
    5%
  • None, there's a better option for $2500 (w/Shipping!) 83 votes
    84%

(99 votes)

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

If you can truly only have 1 machine I would save a little more cash and buy a TAF, LOTR, TZ, AC/DC, Tron, IM or something truly awesome like those titles...

I would suggest something quite different. Rather than going for one of these overpriced titles, check out the solid bang-for-the-buck titles out there. For $2k you an get a solid, fun, great pin. The ones in the poll are loser to the $1k price range.

Solid games to look for in the $2k range have been mentioned above. (deals do come up!) My suggestions include WCS, WPT, Dredd, SST, Shadow(?), NGG, LAH, maybe a few others.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

4. Gladiators (About $500 more than the first two, but it looks really nice!)

Just the shaker motor alone is worth the price of admittance on this one!

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I would suggest something quite different. Rather than going for one of these overpriced titles, check out the solid bang-for-the-buck titles out there. For $2k you an get a solid, fun, great pin. The ones in the poll are loser to the $1k price range.
Solid games to look for in the $2k range have been mentioned above. (deals do come up!) My suggestions include WCS, WPT, Dredd, SST, Shadow(?), NGG, LAH, maybe a few others.

+1 for WPT and Judge Dredd, add Stargate.

#54 11 years ago

If you could get Genesis at a better price, go with that one.

#55 11 years ago

I'd try and find a taxi or diner

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Ah, alright then. I'll make sure to stay local... at least for now!
I guess the issue is, stay local and avoid scam/shipping/quality issues... but lost the possibility of getting an ideal machine (JD, Stargate, JP...) I guess that's where the patience part applies!
I should add that I'm the type of person to see something, get excited, and want it right away. Made that mistake with my vindicators arcade, it's ok but with limited room I should have been pickier and got something I really wanted.

39 of my 40 games were shipped to me. In hindsight, it hurts to think about what else I could've bought with the money I used for shipping. However, sometimes that is the only way to get what you want. I've only had one incident with shipping, and that only involved a bent leg on one machine (but that was one machine of 5 that were on the truck for me). That seller insisted on shipping "legs on", and those games made a cross-country trip. Considering all that, it wasn't an unexpected thing. Easily fixed. I wouldn't settle on a title you may not even want just because some guy down the street is selling it. Do your research, get some advice about what you find, and then make a decision. You might want to save a little more money while you are learning more about the hobby and wait until you can afford an A-lister or a more recent title. Those kinds of games are more proven and have deeper rulesets. I'm probably opposite in my opinion of what most will tell you, but many times an older title becomes a project and source of frustration faster. I liked learning about maintenance and repair early on in my collecting, but you may not. Make sure you understand what is involved in maintenance before you buy, or at least make sure there is someone close by that can assist you when things go wrong.

Michael

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from EvanBingham:

I'd try and find a taxi or diner

If you do buy an older game, like Evan, I would highly advise a Williams System 11 machine like Taxi, Pinbot, Diner, Cyclone, etc. They are fun, have some great artistic charm, and are easy to maintain. I own a few, and they have had fewer mechanical issues than any of my other machines.

Michael

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-buyer-narrowed-down-to-4-choices-1/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.