• 49 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello, all
I am a pinball newbie and own one machine, an Atari Superman. I decided I want to get a new machine that I don’t have to be so worried about being able to find parts and get all the modern bells and whistles. I have narrowed it down to the munsters, starwars and deadpool. These are all the pro versions. Trying these machines isn’t going to be possible so I have watched a bunch of reviews on them. Just thought I would ask people’s opinions what game they think would be good in a collection of only 1 other game and hold my interest. Thanks all

#2 3 years ago

I’ve owned all three. I sold all three. The one I regret selling and would love to find again is Deadpool

#3 3 years ago

Do you want super complex math chess rules? Star Wars.

Do you want super basic simple rules? Munsters.

Want something more in the middle? Deadpool.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Rarehero said it well the only thing I would add is what if any theme you like better. I personally would be torn between Deadpool or StarWars.Dead pool is more fun to shoot but if you like a challenging game with super-deep rules and especially if you are a StarWars fan then that's the game for you. The only thing I would say about Munsters is the resale value will be low and it's ok to shoot, but the rules are just too basic to enjoy over a long time.

#5 3 years ago

I have star wars(premium) and Deadpool(premium) but have played both Pros as well. Have also decent amount of time on Munsters Pro. Hands down go Deadpool and this is coming from a guy that likes Star Wars a lot. Deadpool is just an incredible Pin and the pro doesnt miss a ton whereas the Pro star wars is missing the hyperloop which is super cool. Munsters I just dont like a ton.

Im guessing you are going to get a lot of responses saying Deadpool Pro hands down. Ive had my premium since launch and I still love it.

#7 3 years ago

SW with comic art. No better choice out of the 3.

#8 3 years ago

Also while like me about 2 years ago you are saying to yourself you only need that 1 pinball it just wont work out that way. You will fall in love and will want 2,3,4 more. Im getting number 4 over the summer and I just got my first with Deadpool a little over a year ago.

#9 3 years ago

You can click edit on your fist post and add a poll. I think you only have a couple of hours to do so once the thread starts.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Probably the most fair assessment of sterns lineup I’ve ever read.

#11 3 years ago

I kinda like Star Wars the best of the three honestly. If you turn off mode-stacking, and don't pay attention to multipliers, then the rules aren't too crazy at all. I like Deadpool but personally find it pretty difficult. Although I probably only have like 10 or 12 location plays on it Munsters is fun but way too short.

#12 3 years ago

Get a walking dead, ghostbusters, or MET. Their newones just aren't very good IMO.

#13 3 years ago

Deadpool!!!

#14 3 years ago

Deadpool. Why isn’t Batman 66 on your list? Or one of the classics offered by Chicago Gaming?

#15 3 years ago

Yep Deadpool by a mile but why not a JP2 even better.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Deadpool. Why isn’t Batman 66 on your list? Or one of the classics offered by Chicago Gaming?

I’m guessing his budget is in the pro range. If it were in the BM66 or CGC price range then I’d have to say....Deadpool PREMIUM

Star Wars offers a lot of variety and strategy in the rules. It is more set for above average players who like depth and breadth. Deadpool is just overall fun. Don’t know how I feel about the DP PRO version though without the drops, light show, and Fun ass looping shot.

I had a SW pro and a DP Prem. Still have DP prem, it’s just overall fun. But, SW is no joke - it’s got a lot of diversity packed in a fast package. I think I’d still take DP over it though.

EDIT: DP and SW are so different from each other, they would really compliment each other in a 2-pin lineup. So my overall vote is both

#17 3 years ago

Deadpool is perfect for a beginner, first pin. SW is for more advanced. Munster's don't bother.

#18 3 years ago

As an owner of and a fan of the munsters I say deadpool

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I’m guessing his budget is in the pro range. If it were in the BM66 or CGC price range then I’d have to say....Deadpool PREMIUM
Star Wars offers a lot of variety and strategy in the rules. It is more set for above average players who like depth and breadth. Deadpool is just overall fun. Don’t know how I feel about the DP PRO version though without the drops, light show, and Fun ass looping shot.
I had a SW pro and a DP Prem. Still have DP prem, it’s just overall fun. But, SW is no joke - it’s got a lot of diversity packed in a fast package. I think I’d still take DP over it though.
EDIT: DP and SW are so different from each other, they would really compliment each other in a 2-pin lineup. So my overall vote is both

Yeah. Makes sense. I LOVE Deadpool btw. More than BM66 actually. The vibe and shots are just so fun. I would imagine guests would enjoy it as well if that is a factor.

#20 3 years ago

I would get Deadpool.

#21 3 years ago

Take a look at JP.

Otherwise Deadpool

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I am in Canada and the vendor I was using does not have Batman 66 available and as for CG pins I was looking at the monster bash SE but wasn’t sure if it was quite what I was looking for. I am not opposed to checking out other machines not on my list as I am a very new to all the games offered. All recommendations are for sure appreciated.

#23 3 years ago

Another vote for Deadpool. It's a super fun machine all around. I would however put my JP along way a head of it though if I was choosing between the two. Also, if given the opp, very hard not to want a AFMR or MM from CGC. All of those machines are in my collection and going nowhere. I owned an original mint MB but it honestly didn't stay in my collection that long many years back now, so I'm a bit ambivalent to the idea of getting a remake personally.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I am in Canada and the exchange rate is not good so the prices even for a pro are quite high and the jump from pro to premium is substantial. Though if the premium versions of certain game adds features that make it far superior or worth the extra money then I would seriously consider it. As stated this is all new to me and I kind of just chose the pros as an entry point. Thanks for all the feed back it’s much appreciated.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I have star wars(premium) and Deadpool(premium) but have played both Pros as well. Have also decent amount of time on Munsters Pro. Hands down go Deadpool and this is coming from a guy that likes Star Wars a lot. Deadpool is just an incredible Pin and the pro doesnt miss a ton whereas the Pro star wars is missing the hyperloop which is super cool. Munsters I just dont like a ton.
Im guessing you are going to get a lot of responses saying Deadpool Pro hands down. Ive had my premium since launch and I still love it.

I am huge Star Wars fan so the theme really appeals to me but the gameplay of deadpool looked very fun and more of the style of play I was looking for with lots of interesting things to shoot at. So hearing you say deadpool over starwars when you own both and like Star Wars a lot gives me good confidence about deadpool.
Also the premium versions are not out of the running if it really adds a worthwhile amount of value.

#26 3 years ago

Munsters is awful. I prefer SW to DP, but that is personal opinion. I am a Star Wars fan and I also love the hyperspace ramp on the premium. To me that ramp is the biggest rush ever in pinball.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

I am in Canada and the exchange rate is not good so the prices even for a pro are quite high and the jump from pro to premium is substantial. Though if the premium versions of certain game adds features that make it far superior or worth the extra money then I would seriously consider it. As stated this is all new to me and I kind of just chose the pros as an entry point. Thanks for all the feed back it’s much appreciated.

You're a tiny bit better than we are down here and mind you don't cop what we do in shipping costs and taxes. Our jump from Premium to pro is $2800. If you're not super fixed on having to have a NIB machine, you could look to get a used Premium top condition for high 6's US (using Deadpool as the example).

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

I am not opposed to checking out other machines not on my list as I am a very new to all the games offered. All recommendations are for sure appreciated.

Why didn't you say so? If Pinside is great at something, it is making unwarranted suggestions on pins that people may not want and possibly can't afford

I would recommend considering other vendors or possibly even buying in America and having it shipped via Michelle bianchi or Bob Cunningham. This would greatly open your options of buying from various distributors and collectors as well.

There are a lot of really good games that have come out over the past few years. Consider your budget firstly, then what attributes you value in a pin (light show, toys, callouts, speed, etc.).

All of the Chicago gaming company pins are fantastic (medieval madness, monster bash, attack from Mars). The new stern Jurassic park is an instant classic, but the premium is so much better than the pro...i have to recommend spending the extra money.

The band pins have been popular, specifically iron maiden, metallica, and ac/dc. I would imagine it would very greatly as to which you liked the music of the best. I prefer MET and ACDC. I feel the pro is a good option for all 3, but with MET, I would really encourage you to go for the premium.

Deadpool, spiderman, and Batman 66 are the best superhero options. I like deadpool the best, and the pro version is great. In fact...if you are strictly aiming for a pro model...that would be my suggestion. Batman 66 is an awesome pin with tons of toys. I rate it similarly to deadpool, but it costs quite a bit more.

Elvira house of horrors and Tron are both worthy. EHOH is ranked high, but will likely fall over time. It's fun, but a bit empty. Tron brings up nostalgia for many, but they seem to be tougher to find as well. I would also say the walking dead is another good option that is still very nice in the pro model.

Jersey Jack pinball puts out awesome machines as well...they just tend to cost more also. Pirates of the Caribbean is one if the best pins ever made...but it costs an arm and a leg. Wizard of Oz is my next favorite with tons if toys, endless playing options, and it's built like a tank. Hobbit and wonka are incredible as well, just not as packed. Dialed in is very good, but the theme just brings it down for me (and a lot of others as well).

Alice Cooper and Houdini are the standouts for me from smaller companies (disclaimer: I haven't played Rick and Morty yet). They are both hard with tight shots, so they get blasted sometimes...but both are beautiful and fun games that would do well in a home collection.

There are no lack of options out there right now. If you figure a budget and what you value the most from a pin, it will go a long way towards helping you make the right decision for your collection.

#29 3 years ago

Star Wars comic art Pro

#30 3 years ago

Deadpool gets my vote. Great first pin and the best out of the 3 if you don’t add a second game for awhile. I can’t get in to star wars. Doesn’t feel like a star wars pin, it feels to me like they just slapped Star Wars over some design SR had lying around. Same with GOT.

#31 3 years ago

If it’s out of the Pro models, Deadpool by a country mile!
If Premium models are a consideration and you are a huge Star Wars fan, then the SW Prem (Comic art is gorgeous) is great!

#32 3 years ago

Played all 3. Munsters is unpopular among pinball nerds for being a bit shallow. A Deadpool LE and Star Trek LE both rotated through the company office in the past few years and I got a hundred plays or so on each. Both are amazing and lots of fun. However, there is more to do in Star Wars. The choose your own mission style of play and multitude of options gives a greater variety in the game. If you are bad, you will be fighting the same 3 enemies over and over in deadpool. I'd go Star Wars. However, it's a bit like deciding on a date between Ms. October and Ms. November... you can't go wrong. Welcome to the hobby!

#33 3 years ago

many of us are renting games now. See if someone local will rent you these titles for a few days, week or month.
You can play them all you need and judge for yourself which one is a keeper to purchase.

good luck!

argamingrentals.com

#34 3 years ago

Deadpool all day long

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thats my two pin lineup(both premiums). When SW kicks my ass I move over. Now trying to figure out what compliments those 2

#36 3 years ago

I have owned the SW pro. I also have owned a DP LE. I presently own the SW comic prem and a Munsters prem. I would expect DP to win this poll easily.

While I like DP , it did not stay , as it felt like the same game over and over. A great shooter with some really interesting shots and great integration with the theme. I believe my game is on its fourth owner now and I believe he is trying to sell it. FWIW.

I am a Munsters fan. Yes simple rules, but, it is a fun game that gets a lot of play in my collection. I would buy it on the present rule set, but, there is potential of a rules update that may make the game even better. This game can be bought discounted in the secondary market due to the rules situation. Not a bad purchase if gotten at the right price. Most likely not a good game in a one game collection, I would feel.

SW pro is a wide open game, that to me is a combination of two of my favorite games ( Iron Man and Game of Thrones). It is a speed game like IM and it has rule depth/ strategy of GOT. I added a shaker and PinWoofer sound upgrades to my prem and they are well worth it. The comic editions are the best art in my opinion , but, I would have no problem with the original edition art depending on purchase price. If you can swing it get a prem/LE , worth the extra dough.

So for a one game collection, I go SW.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Thats my two pin lineup(both premiums). When SW kicks my ass I move over. Now trying to figure out what compliments those 2

Jurassic Park, GOT Pro, or AFMRLE
And if you want a music pin, then IMDN.

Or, wait for Keith Elwin’s next game. In any case, a Keith Elwin game in a 3-pin lineup is always nice.

#38 3 years ago

I like Munsters as an introductory pin, one that pleases newbies a great deal, but wouldn't consider it as an only pin. Go with Deadpool or IMDN.

#39 3 years ago

I’d probably go with Star Wars. Great game.

Original art. Comic book reminds me of my friends’ bedsheets in 2nd grade.

#40 3 years ago

Hello all

Thanks for all the advice given. I have pulled the trigger on a deadpool pro. I just saw the TMNT machine today and if I enjoy the deadpool one will probably have to get that too haha. Someone on this thread said I will end up with multiple machines and I think they will be right. Once again thanks.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Comic book reminds me of my friends’ bedsheets in 2nd grade.

I had the matching curtain set as well

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I had the matching curtain set as well

I'm very fond of those bedroom accoutrements.

#43 3 years ago

I'd go with DP for sure. SW and munsters are on opposite ends. SW is fairly deep, munsters is pretty simplistic. Deadpool can be either. It's a middle ground. Seriously, DP is awesome.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Get a walking dead, ghostbusters, or MET. Their newones just aren't very good IMO.

Listen to this man.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Hello all
Thanks for all the advice given. I have pulled the trigger on a deadpool pro. I just saw the TMNT machine today and if I enjoy the deadpool one will probably have to get that too haha. Someone on this thread said I will end up with multiple machines and I think they will be right. Once again thanks.

And.that right there.......is the right choice.
Congrats.
Enjoy

Levels play a part in the Katana ramp shots ability to be nailed. Spend some time to get that right if need be, it's a SWEEEET shot.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Deadpool is perfect for a beginner, first pin. SW is for more advanced. Munster's don't bother.

+1 play Munsters at an arcade. you will see everything it has to offer in $5 or less.

#47 3 years ago

I have several hundred plays on all three of these machines, and this is my personal opinion:

Star Wars pros: Deepest ruleset, popular theme, lots of replay potential
Star Wars cons: Complexity can be intimidating and hurt the experience if you aren't willing to put time into learning rules and different shots.

Deadpool pros: My favorite of these three machines by far. Rules are intuitive and easy to learn but also a lot of depth. This is the oldest of the 3 options and I will say from experience that this is the machine Stern makes the best right now (they've ironed out all the issues and are in that sweet spot of near-flawless production before they put the title into the vault).
Deadpool cons: Not much? Personally I don't care for the theme much but that hasn't stopped me.

Munsters pros: Doesn't annoy you very much. Guests at your house might not notice it due to lackluster artwork.
Munsters cons: Rules are very shallow, machine itself feels very clunky to play, shots feel repetitive, pro version is even less playable than the higher end models due to not having a mini playfield.

#48 3 years ago

go deadpool. great code, depth probably average. fun factor=very high.

star wars 2nd. deep game, not how i would done star wars. playfield somewhat barren.

have not played munsters enough, seems easy.

#49 3 years ago

realistically this should only be a two horse race with The Munsters not being discussed.

I would vote SW slightly ahead of DP but they are both great.

I really love the hyper loop on SW premium and bought the comic edition a last year. SW pro is nice too and I especially love the comic pro artwork.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-buyer-munsters-pro-vs-deadpool-pro-vs-starwars-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.