Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 139 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DanMarino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9A424E9F-76BB-49C6-84B2-2F492B50F7BD (resized).jpeg
    2925BB5F-1B2B-4924-A0A5-5FCBD2A327B0 (resized).jpeg
    C8007ECF-E443-474F-9140-7109882B1184 (resized).jpeg
    0E912CD2-E665-4436-832F-8EF97B966A82 (resized).jpeg
    362E67ED-6F0C-4BCF-961F-710D0A81274E (resized).jpeg
    a15b9ddb254d42b3d63218f4b1f8d5d7 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    DDDF101E-2B6F-4BFE-8E34-55E57022A869 (resized).jpeg
    jk882 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    259B653A-3ECC-4D6E-9246-30E55FD67304.gif
    highpraise-thankyou.gif
    5E15C292-1351-4E71-B5ED-59BAD139AC1D (resized).jpeg
    1E874168-A41E-4E00-9420-E35A088D9C43 (resized).jpeg
    bam.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I was gunna bring up Luci but your better off with out her! After you sold her to me she really let herself go and then her kids showed up and tried moving in... I had to send her packing!

You only thought it was Luci. It was really Rosie the whole time!

#52 1 year ago

Pretty sure I picked up an TAF in a Publix parking lot in Lancaster, PA. 20 hour pick up and go home same day.

#53 1 year ago

Met a guy at 4am in the parking lot of the Denny's in Washington, PA. I got $ 1,000 and he got a Xenon.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

Met a guy at 4am in the parking lot of the Denny's in Washington, PA. I got $ 1,000 and he got a Xenon.

Did you stay for an Omelet ?

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People have listed a handful of reputable distributors selling Elviras so I’m not sure what the problem is.
    Call one of them and buy one.
    Another Pinside success story!

Op sounds like your typical tire kicker or just a real pain to deal with.
    I wouldn’t want to be the distributor who does sell him a game if he ever decides to buy one instead of just complaining about everything.

#56 1 year ago

You will be frusrated again if You try and buy off Pinside,as a fresh face even a decent offer may not be accepted.

#57 1 year ago

My parking lot story: I bought a Farfalla from some dude in Massachusetts. An east coast guy I knew on IRC bought a CV from some dude in Pittsburgh. I drove east and picked up his CV, he got the Farfalla and drove west, we met at a gas station somewhere in the middle of PA and swapped games.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Did you stay for an Omelet ?

No, took the cash and met a guy in Pittsburgh at 5am and purchased his Flintstones. Think it was 2800 back in 2015.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

you did get a machine and shipping damage does happen, sorry it happened to you !
    are you saying whoever sold your new NIB isn't fixing or replacing the game ?

The dealer I purchased from arranged for it to be shipped right back to Stern to be fixed. I never even unboxed it beyond opening the lid and seeing all the damage. Hopefully I get it back in some sort of reasonable timeframe.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

And I still have that Xenon today!!!

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from deeznuts:

I think your frustrations will continue with:
    Delivery to setup
    Seeing Sterns lack of quality control first hand
    Spending your free time fixing and adjusting your BRAND NEW game
    Spending your free time troubleshooting problems in the future (which will happen, either weekly or monthly)
    Realizing 11,000.00 is missing from your bank account or you're stuck with a high interest credit card bill
    Realizing it will probably collected dust after a month or two, and you want another one
    Buckle up, it might be a steep and expensive learning curve.

***update***

Well I got one from a reputed shop, that may have been mentioned here. They took credit, reasonable shipping.

Whelp I didn’t finance. I paid with credit to get the airline miles, paid the card back within the 30 day grace period so no interest was paid. I may sound like a jerk here, but that’s grownup stuff or good fiscal management. Honestly if you cannot afford a purchase like this without financing with interest I would reconsider.
    I wanted a pin for a long time, but haven’t jumped until I had the capital to actually buy outright, not buy and hand the bank a bunch of money in interest every month. The merchant waived a discount they offered if you pay with check or wire transfer, and $500 shipping. So there’s that.
    I read and hear Stern’s “warranty” is a joke. I think it should be better. 1 year. This is a expensive product. Stand by your work and quality. Maybe have a 1 year or 1000 play limit warranty for everything.
    I am technically and mechanically inclined. I am very skilled with computers, and would rate myself a journeyman with things like mechanics, do most of my own car work myself. Mainly because I am cheap and know a DIY oil change for example costs half or more what a shop charges. So I am comfortable with tinkering and tweaking of the game is not working perfectly out of the box.

I think you’re assuming or implying my expectations aren’t realistic. Have to disagree. I don’t think it unreasonable if you have the money and are willing to buy, that the buying process in 2023 not be so unnecessarily complex and back alley ish.

There’s a reason say Amazon grew to dominance. They provide goods at a reasonable price, fast, and with a nearly seamless transaction process. Hey focused on the customer experience ( CX) A lesson I have found some of the pinball sellers, especially the ones paying leases for storefront shops and warehouses probably need to take a class on. And some get your websites together. Some of these websites are terrible. Go daddy has tools to help you build your online storefront.
    I digress.
    Again thanks for all the great advice and mediocre internet comedy.

#63 1 year ago

good grief that dude sucks

LOL

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

***update***
    Well I got one from a reputed shop, that may have been mentioned here. They took credit, reasonable shipping.
    Whelp I didn’t finance. I paid with credit to get the airline miles, paid the card back within the 30 day grace period so no interest was paid. I may sound like a jerk here, but that’s grownup stuff or good fiscal management. Honestly if you cannot afford a purchase like this without financing with interest I would reconsider.
    I wanted a pin for a long time, but haven’t jumped until I had the capital to actually buy outright, not buy and hand the bank a bunch of money in interest every month. The merchant waived a discount they offered if you pay with check or wire transfer, and $500 shipping. So there’s that.
    I read and hear Stern’s “warranty” is a joke. I think it should be better. 1 year. This is a expensive product. Stand by your work and quality. Maybe have a 1 year or 1000 play limit warranty for everything.
    I am technically and mechanically inclined. I am very skilled with computers, and would rate myself a journeyman with things like mechanics, do most of my own car work myself. Mainly because I am cheap and know a DIY oil change for example costs half or more what a shop charges. So I am comfortable with tinkering and tweaking of the game is not working perfectly out of the box.
    I think you’re assuming or implying my expectations aren’t realistic. Have to disagree. I don’t think it unreasonable if you have the money and are willing to buy, that the buying process in 2023 not be so unnecessarily complex and back alley ish.
    There’s a reason say Amazon grew to dominance. They provide goods at a reasonable price, fast, and with a nearly seamless transaction process. Hey focused on the customer experience ( CX) A lesson I have found some of the pinball sellers, especially the ones paying leases for storefront shops and warehouses probably need to take a class on. And some get your websites together. Some of these websites are terrible. Go daddy has tools to help you build your online storefront.
    I digress.

Computer skills, DIY mechanic ability, personal finance coach, website critique....... pinball should be no problem as the next thing to add to the many skill sets for you........

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from aaron6920:

Computer skills, DIY mechanic ability, personal finance coach, website critique....... pinball should be no problem as the next thing to add to the many skill sets for you........

Yet buying a machine has proven difficult.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

I read and hear Stern’s “warranty” is a joke. I think it should be better. 1 year.

Where did you read or hear it’s one year? Read your manual. Here is a screenshot from Godzilla.

Buy a Multimorphic pin if you want a good warranty.
    5E15C292-1351-4E71-B5ED-59BAD139AC1D (resized).jpeg5E15C292-1351-4E71-B5ED-59BAD139AC1D (resized).jpeg

#67 1 year ago

I think it's safe to say whichever distributor sold this guy his first pin is going to have their hands full for the next few months.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from aaron6920:

Well my people skills suck and I struggled thru years of tech support because see first statement. Job paid well and my tech acumen carried me, but my tolerance for assholery, rude, and unreasonable expectations is nonexistent. So I sympathize with the legit small biz owners dealing with this crowd.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

t my tolerance for assholery, rude, and unreasonable expectations is nonexistent. So I sympathize with the legit small biz owners dealing with this crowd.

Upvoted because I love irony.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it's safe to say whichever distributor sold this guy his first pin is going to have their hands full for the next few months.

Is it? Is this wit? Because based on a handful of posts you know me sooooooo well. Doubtful champ. Speaks volumes about this “community”. I guess I am supposed to keep quiet and know my place, which is apparently a 1995 paper ad to met a guy behind the laundry mat, cannot miss him, rusty white van…

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Upvoted because I love irony.

Guessing I’m missing it. Because I hurt feelings (clearly) with my brutal honesty? So about that first time buyer frustrations….

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Is it? Is this wit? Because based on a handful of posts you know me sooooooo well. Doubtful champ. Speaks volumes about this “community”. I guess I am supposed to keep quiet and know my place, which is apparently a 1995 paper ad to met a guy behind the laundry mat, cannot miss him, rusty white van…

This is pinside. It’s got a core crowd of 50+ year old male equivalent of mean gurl Heathers (I’m one too but not part of the core clique, which requires 10 years+ of snarky posts) that are flustered when a “newbie” dares questioning weird common sales practices.

Hence you’ll get condescending replies for daring to expect what’s normal when purchasing $10k goods that aren’t pinball. You better be willing to pay “cash on glass” to total strangers 5 states away for the hottest game or you’ll be labeled “difficult” LOL

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Where did you read or hear it’s one year? Read your manual. Here is a screenshot from Godzilla.
    Buy a Multimorphic pin if you want a good warranty.
    [quoted image]

Where did you read that I said it’s 1 year? “Should be 1 year.” I have the manual I had before I even proceeded with purchase.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

This is pinside. It’s got a core crowd of 50+ year old male equivalent of mean gurl Heathers (I’m one too but not part of the core clique, which requires 10 years+ of snarky posts) that are flustered when a “newbie” dares questioning weird common sales practices.
    Hence you’ll get condescending replies for daring to expect what’s normal when purchasing $10k goods that aren’t pinball. You better be willing to pay “cash on glass” to total strangers 5 states away for the hottest game or you’ll be labeled “difficult” LOL

Maybe so. I don’t think everyone has been like that. Many here have been great. I don’t mind snark. Some clearly have no issues flinging around snide comments, but oh lawdy if you dare offer reciprocity to how they responded to you, especially if you are new. If you you’re gonna dish it out, better be able to take it.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

which requires 10 years+ of snarky posts

I’ll be in the ten year club June 17th, I can’t wait to be an even bigger asshole!!

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:***update***
    I digress.

Did you know that you can still buy a NIB Stern Pinball machine from Amazon? Only $350 for shipping too. Check out the selection and pricing!
    https://www.amazon.com/stores/SternPinball/page/83EBFB25-0C8F-49B3-A7ED-2EBDBD919CB8

If you don't want to go through the back alley deals for a NIB pin you certainly can get one the "old fashioned way" through Amazon.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hopefully the distributor or manufacturer gives him good tech support if and when he needs it.

LTG : )

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you don't want to go through the back alley deals for a NIB pin you certainly can get one the "old fashioned way" through Amazon.

Love “old fashioned way” thru Amazon. Pretty cool, but looks like only 2 pins. So this may be their dumping grounds for units they couldn’t dump on retailers.

Eventually I may hunt around for a classic. I know that will be very different than NIB. I would love an Adams gold or Creature with working hologram. The end of the day money talks.

#79 1 year ago

I went through it first time with NIB, and also some friends just recently, where it actually is kind of odd since so many pinball dealers seem so .... lax? Like they aren't in a rush to sell you anything or go over the top with service. It's like they all have a "oh you want a machine? Ok sure.... so.... yea..." And like we want to give them money and info and it's pulling teeth. It's not a very fast moving industry with expensive toys that only sell a few here and there often, but it kind of makes them lacking in rushing to sell or going that extra mile you get with most sales people it feels like.

You figure when your willing to dish out thousands of dollars for a machine they would be like a car dealer but of course there is no commission going on for most of these owners so it's just an odd feeling to have such laid back selling.

My friends were like "how is this so difficult?"

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Hopefully the distributor or manufacturer gives him good tech support if and when he needs it.
    LTG : )

Great response

As long as I get what I paid for or reasonable assistance getting it there, I am fine.

Bad business to not provide post sale customer service and customer support. You will likely never hear from that customer again except the negative online review.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I went through it first time with NIB, and also some friends just recently, where it actually is kind of odd since so many pinball dealers seem so .... lax? Like they aren't in a rush to sell you anything or go over the top with service. It's like they all have a "oh you want a machine? Ok sure.... so.... yea..." And like we want to give them money and info and it's pulling teeth. It's not a very fast moving industry with expensive toys that only sell a few here and there often, but it kind of makes them lacking in rushing to sell or going that extra mile you get with most sales people it feels like.
    You figure when your willing to dish out thousands of dollars for a machine they would be like a car dealer but of course there is no commission going on for most of these owners so it's just an odd feeling to have such laid back selling.
    My friends were like "how is this so difficult?"

Preach. They make a small profit. Few are selling below MSRP. Pins like a lot of home entertainment have been hot the past 3 years for obvious reasons. But clearly showing signs of cooling off. They are probably seeing the cool down and being wary of getting stuck with excess inventory.

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Love “old fashioned way” thru Amazon. Pretty cool, but looks like only 2 pins. So this may be their dumping grounds for units they couldn’t dump on retailers.
    Eventually I may hunt around for a classic. I know that will be very different than NIB. I would love an Adams gold or Creature with working hologram. The end of the day money talks.

So... if you didn't catch on the Amazon advertised prices are $2,000 to $10,000 over MSRP, with Mando at least available at or under MSRP with free shipping if you call around and don't mind a bank transfer/check/cash purchase.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Why are you looking to the “community” for help then? You’ve got it all figured out, what do you need our terrible advice for? Go buy a game your way and show us how it’s done.

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

You finally bought your first game, and immediately followed it up with a lengthy treatise we didn't ask for containing a ton of complaints, demands, predictions, fears, and other various non-sequiters about your pinball purchase. Why are you telling us about your finance plan and the intricate details of how and why you paid for this thing?! Nobody gives a shit. You also tried to compare pinball to Amazon for some reason.

It's not really out of line to think you are gonna be a high-maintenance customer. Not wit, just an observation.

Like...maybe own your game for a week or so before you get so worked up. Why are you so worried? Nobody is trying to screw you. You just bought a pinball machine, it's really nothing out of the ordinary around here.

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You finally bought your first game, and immediately followed it up with a lengthy treatise we didn't ask for containing a ton of complaints, demands, predictions, fears, and other various non-sequiters about your pinball purchase. Why are you telling us about your finance plan and the intricate details of how and why you paid for this thing?! Nobody gives a shit. You also tried to compare pinball to Amazon for some reason.
    It's not really out of line to think you are gonna be a high-maintenance customer. Not wit, just an observation.
    Like...maybe own your game for a week or so before you get so worked up. Why are you so worried? Nobody is trying to screw you. You just bought a pinball machine, it's really nothing out of the ordinary around here.

What he's trying to say is, you're going to fit in really well here, welcome aboard.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

What he's trying to say is, you're going to fit in really well here, welcome aboard.

Yeah I did kind of mean that.

He's surly and opinionated?

Perfect!!! Welcome to the club baby!

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I did kind of mean that.
    He's surly and opinionated?
    Perfect!!! Welcome to the club baby!

highpraise-thankyou.gifhighpraise-thankyou.gif
    #88 1 year ago

Best too buy used then u can see it with your own eyes and play it first plus get it cheaper it's a plus plus all around can't lose I got one NIB pin and never again they are not making them as good anymore ,unknow until u get it home and go wtf

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

I’ll be in the ten year club June 17th, I can’t wait to be an even bigger asshole!!

Yea I remember when I was a nine year Pinside member, I honestly didn’t think I could be any bigger of an asshole back then. Finally that magical day came and i had my 10 year anniversary and wow It was like I was blind and then I could see! I realized at the stroke of midnight on my 10 year anniversary that there was another level of asshole-ness that could be achieved here!

To the OP don’t be so serious man, it’s only pinball! Oh and by the way congrats on your new game!

259B653A-3ECC-4D6E-9246-30E55FD67304.gif259B653A-3ECC-4D6E-9246-30E55FD67304.gif

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Why are you looking to the “community” for help then? You’ve got it all figured out, what do you need our terrible advice for? Go buy a game your way and show us how it’s done.

Who said the advice was terrible? Some of the advice and attitude has been great. It’s ok to have someone not agree with you,
    no really it is. I know we live in this bizzaro world of divisiveness, but it’s ok if someone doesn’t agree or has a differing opinion.

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Yea I remember when I was a nine year Pinside member, I honestly didn’t think I could be any bigger of an asshole back then. Finally that magical day came and i had my 10 year anniversary and wow It was like I was blind and then I could see! I realized at the stroke of midnight on my 10 year anniversary that there was another level of asshole-ness that could be achieved here!
    To the OP don’t be so serious man, it’s only pinball! Oh and by the way congrats on your new game!

[quoted image]

No one is mad. At least not on this side of the keyboard. Some can dish and take, clearly some can’t. And thanks!

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Interesting assessments. Disagree. Compared the websites and e-commerce aspects. I talked of purchasing options, not my actual finances becauseeeee someone talked of theirs and how to buy. I shared my advice.
    High maintenance. Ha! That’s interesting. Because I don’t want to send Joe Rando on the internet thousands of dollars of my hard earn money for a item sight unseen or carry thousands of dollars in cash? Because I would expect to get the item I paid for in the condition as described. Ehhh I disagree on this assessment as well.
    So my turn to assess.
    Maybe little more on you and less on others is typically my advice when someone offers an unsolicited assessment of someone.
    Take care.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Who said the advice was terrible? Some of the advice and attitude has been great. It’s ok to have someone not agree with you,
    no really it is. I know we live in this bizzaro world of divisiveness, but it’s ok if someone doesn’t agree or has a differing opinion.

Well, you refute every reply, refer to it as “mediocre internet comedy”, call the assessments “interesting” and you “disagree”. You’re ok with me having this opinion though right, and mines just as valid as yours?

If not it’s all good, some can dish and take and some can’t.

#94 1 year ago

Dang, the original poster has only been here 10 days. I hope he can help fix my Flight 2000's intermittent speech distortion. He seems to know a lot about a little.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Dang, the original poster has only been here 10 days. I hope he can help fix my Flight 2000's intermittent speech distortion. He seems to know a lot about a little.

Just wanted to say “Laces out, Dan!!”

#97 1 year ago

That plot line would never fly today... Great movie.

#98 1 year ago

I'd like to try and maybe calm things down here a bit by looking at both sides of this conversation. I can understand where you are coming from as a new buyer and, I assume, new to the hobby. Searching the internet for a dealer and then speaking to people you have never before interacted with to purchase a high dollar toy can make some people feel uncomfortable as they start out the buying process. Also the idea of carrying large sums of cash to stranger's homes or place of business also made me feel a little uneasy the first time I did it, although games were a lot cheaper back then. The thing people that are new to the hobby should think about when asking for advice on Pinside is your response will come from many individuals that have been making these deals for years, even decades. I'd like to try and clarify a few things brought up as to why many members here like things done a certain way when making a deal.

Cash Only Deals: This is done because there is no way to reverse the transaction once it has been completed. Obviously there are always risk with any type of transaction, but this seems to be the safest for both the purchaser and seller. There are many threads on Pinside discussing the potential risks with paying with check, credit card, wire transfer, PayPal or any other form of e-payment, etc. I won't go into the details of why these can be risky as that varies depending on the Pinsider you're talking with. Cash might not be your preferred way to complete a deal, but for many it is because it is quick and final when the deal is done.

NIB Purchase from Dealer/Distributor: Although it may seem like back ally dealings, it really isn't. The manufacturers have a list of authorized dealers on their website, so you should know who is legitimate and who isn't. Some dealers have better pricing, some have better customer support. Call a few of them and see which one sounds best to you. There are a lot of scam websites that have been popping up the past few years trying to sell pinball machines at a discount, so it is a good idea to double check the manufacturer's website and also reach out to Pinside to confirm they are legitimate.

Used Purchase from "Dealer": This can be a mixed bag and typically where you will see a hot topic flare up on Pinside for a resolution on a dispute. There are many good dealers/restorers out there, but probably an equal number that will put a dress on a pig and charge top dollar for a headache. I personally prefer to buy my used games within driving distance to see them in person before I pay. There are many here that don't mind taking the risk of shipping sight unseen. This doesn't make either side wrong as it's up to you to decide your comfort level.

Far too long of a post but I hope it gives you some idea of why people, that have been in the hobby a long time, insist on certain methods to complete a deal.

#99 1 year ago

I quit reading after "whelp."

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Oh I’m not an e-commerce noob. Last time I almost got screwed was the old days of eBay and PayPal offered almost no protections. That’s when I learned what a chargeback was via a conversation with my credit card bank. PayPal hates chargebacks and will suspend your account if you do it. but back then that was pretty much your only recourse, and was thankful I used a credit card.
    I already spotted a few scammers. I’ve actually set foot in one of the places you listed. And know how to look up the stern distributors and do research. A legit seller knows how important reputation and word of mouth is.

Even if you get a NIB Elvira, there's a 50/50 chance it'll be a 'fixer upper' - mine was unplayable out of the box. I'd almost wished I'd gone used where someone had already sorted out all the issues. Good luck! I've purchased a dozen NIB pins at this point and I think only one of them was in what I'd consider playable condition out of the box (AIQ Pro).

*Looks like you've tracked one down, make sure to join the club thread for help getting it up and running if you have any issues!

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-buyer-frustrations/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.