Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 139 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DanMarino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9A424E9F-76BB-49C6-84B2-2F492B50F7BD (resized).jpeg
    2925BB5F-1B2B-4924-A0A5-5FCBD2A327B0 (resized).jpeg
    C8007ECF-E443-474F-9140-7109882B1184 (resized).jpeg
    0E912CD2-E665-4436-832F-8EF97B966A82 (resized).jpeg
    362E67ED-6F0C-4BCF-961F-710D0A81274E (resized).jpeg
    a15b9ddb254d42b3d63218f4b1f8d5d7 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    DDDF101E-2B6F-4BFE-8E34-55E57022A869 (resized).jpeg
    jk882 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    259B653A-3ECC-4D6E-9246-30E55FD67304.gif
    highpraise-thankyou.gif
    5E15C292-1351-4E71-B5ED-59BAD139AC1D (resized).jpeg
    1E874168-A41E-4E00-9420-E35A088D9C43 (resized).jpeg
    bam.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

Whelp learning buying a new pin is a sport. I am going for Elvira. Yes I get it they are in demand. I’ve talked to my local Stern distributor a couple times. He is nice enough, but cannot seem to get inventory. Just all the back and fourth. You have sellers wanting bank draft, Bitcoin, mail me a check. Anything that doesn’t entail a secure payment like I don’t know credit card, pay pal. Misleading terms, website says one thing, seller says another. I understand the distributors are at the mercy of Stern. Also just seems to be a few questionable sellers. Then you have the flippers/scalpers racing around snapping up inventory to try to resell. Just a little frustrated and see how folks can be swayed from the hobby.

#2 1 year ago

Be sure and check out this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-scam-game-seller-websites

Best wishes on your first pin !
    LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Many dealers have Elvira in stock from what I have seen. Just keep checking around, wire transfer and checks are still commonly used, not that unusual. You can probably find one to take a card if you pay the fee.

Good first post, coming out swinging.

#5 1 year ago

Don’t buy nib then, go cash on glass and look for a used machine. They come up. Be a long wait though, longer than finding nib. First post would have been better used asking for reputable distributor though…

#6 1 year ago

http://pinballs.com/

They have it and will ship (if you pay for shipping). Biggest U.S. distributor, and may take a cc if you give them a call.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Anything that doesn’t entail a secure payment like I don’t know credit card, pay pal.

Secure you you, not for them, and both charge ~3%. Some dealers will still take those forms of payment if you cover the fee, but I'm not surprised they decline paypal sales when other people are willing to pay other ways.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

They have it and will ship (if you pay for shipping). Biggest U.S. distributor, and may take a cc if you give them a call.

That is Mike Daddona. Call him. Tell him LTG ( Lloyd ) sent you.

You'll be glad you did.

#9 1 year ago

And there's your inside track, good luck!

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You'll be glad you did.

bam.gifbam.gif

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Whelp learning buying a new pin is a sport. I am going for Elvira. Yes I get it they are in demand. I’ve talked to my local Stern distributor a couple times. He is nice enough, but cannot seem to get inventory. Just all the back and fourth. You have sellers wanting bank draft, Bitcoin, mail me a check. Anything that doesn’t entail a secure payment like I don’t know credit card, pay pal. Misleading terms, website says one thing, seller says another. I understand the distributors are at the mercy of Stern. Also just seems to be a few questionable sellers. Then you have the flippers/scalpers racing around snapping up inventory to try to resell. Just a little frustrated and see how folks can be swayed from the hobby.

They are out there... most of the distributors will take credit care, but will charge you the processing fee. PayPal was a preferred method, but they started charging a fee too.

I would be careful about doing random internet searches since there are a bunch of scam sights out there - however most of the distributors that advertise on Pinside are reputable - People mentioned pinball.com, Nitro, but there is also GAP, Classicgamerooms, gameroomgoodies, cointaker, and so on... all are great options.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Call Troy at tilt. He has an Elvira listed as available he is bringing to LAX. Maybe he will ship it to you after the show.

#14 1 year ago

Im looking for my first game again, its exciting! I prefer shady sellers

#15 1 year ago

let me introduce you to this guy named choggard..

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Im looking for my first game again, its exciting! I prefer shady sellers

Centerflank is back again??? Wtf is going on here?!

Pro-tip: LITERALLY NEVER EVER SELL TRON OR TWD (PREM/LE) NEVER.

#17 1 year ago

Man your diving in at the Deep end... especially at these prices... yikes....you might want to learn to swim first.

I bought 10 classics over 7 years before I seriously thought about NIB... and I had a friend who is a distributer I trusted...

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Secure you you, not for them, and both charge ~3%. Some dealers will still take those forms of payment if you cover the fee, but I'm not surprised they decline paypal sales when other people are willing to pay other ways.

Whelp there not gonna get my business. I’d be willing to travel a little ways, within a day drive, and then maybe pay cash. I know to be a stern dealer you have to have a storefront and meet some criteria. I am completely aware of the fees. Not necessarily true protections for only me. If the seller can show they shipped and item delivered and communicated they have fraud protections too. Odd on how some operate with these. Honestly I am not interested in propping up a scalper who also leave authorized distributors in the lurch. They will run around putting orders and deposits in, drop the ones who don’t ship first leaving them holding inventory. Plus I want to deal with someone who is customer oriented and understands that bank draft and checks are also the preferred payments of frauds. Appreciate the advice.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Man your diving in at the Deep end... especially at these prices... yikes....you might want to learn to swim first.
    I bought 10 classics over 7 years before I seriously thought about NIB... and I had a friend who is a distributer I trusted...

I understand what you’re saying.

I don’t want to dick around with a fixer upper or someone who maybe didn’t know what they were doing or made questionable mod choices. I definitely do want my first to be an actual first. I am technically inclined. I know computers both hardware and how to code. So setup wouldn’t be an issues . I’ve actually been looking for a long time. Almost jumped on a Addams gold that was reasonable, and low plays many years ago. I’ve been shopping around for 9 months causally. I have the money. I don’t mind paying a modest premium. I just don’t want to make getting a pin, maybe the first of many maybe the last of never a sport.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

They are out there... most of the distributors will take credit care, but will charge you the processing fee. PayPal was a preferred method, but they started charging a fee too.
    I would be careful about doing random internet searches since there are a bunch of scam sights out there - however most of the distributors that advertise on Pinside are reputable - People mentioned pinball.com, Nitro, but there is also GAP, Classicgamerooms, gameroomgoodies, cointaker, and so on... all are great options.

Oh I’m not an e-commerce noob. Last time I almost got screwed was the old days of eBay and PayPal offered almost no protections. That’s when I learned what a chargeback was via a conversation with my credit card bank. PayPal hates chargebacks and will suspend your account if you do it. but back then that was pretty much your only recourse, and was thankful I used a credit card.
    I already spotted a few scammers. I’ve actually set foot in one of the places you listed. And know how to look up the stern distributors and do research. A legit seller knows how important reputation and word of mouth is.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You'll be glad you did.

Appreciate the advice.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

I am not interested in propping up a scalper who also leave authorized distributors in the lurch. They will run around putting orders and deposits in, drop the ones who don’t ship first leaving them holding inventory.

Well it sounds like you need to find one of these "left in the lurch" dealers and buy from them.

#23 1 year ago

I am a big fan of cointaker and bought a few games from them NIB as well as some LED kits and other mods. They were recommended by another Pinsider and I had the opportunity to meet them in person at a pinball show, making me feel more comfortable before buying. They were also very patient with the dozens of questions I had with my first NIB purchase. Will buy from them the next time as well. Buying used is a mixed bag (but also a lot of fun in my opinion), but I usually buy as local as possible off Pinside and always research the seller before buying. Good luck!

#24 1 year ago

I think you are overthinking it. You reference a few times you are not a noob with technology and are aware of fees, etc..... Also you know the difference between scalpers and genuine dealers from your postings. I would say just purchase from the reputable dealer and move on with life. $10,500 plus shipping is a lot of money but actual dealers out there like pinballs.com, etc... that have it in stock are not scamming. You might have the first pin gitters, 2 years from now you will have 7 pins and be buying from ads with no picture for that rare game you want.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from aaron6920:

be buying from ads with no picture for that rare game you want.

No truer words said on Pinside today…. And you though crack whores had it bad?

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Quoted from LTG:

You'll be glad you did.

There is a person selling one for $10,500 and the comments indicate that it will sell fast. If I was in the market for this game I would call the above mentioned distributor. Seems like that is the least frustrating option.

Machine - For Trade
    HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) - “Looking for a Toy Story 4 located around FL. Willing to trade my Elvira HOH. I bought it NIB and never had any issues. Plays fast and fun. Shooter lane is perfect. Comes with titan...”
    2023-03-07
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Trade
    Archived after: 117 days
    Viewed: 877 times

#27 1 year ago

People have listed a handful of reputable distributors selling Elviras so I’m not sure what the problem is.

Call one of them and buy one.

Another Pinside success story!

#28 1 year ago

Appreciate all the advice. Rather impressed with the responses. I know this pin is expensive and relatively in demand compared to others. I haven’t shared all my details, twists and turns. Just trying to jump on this run shipping right now. I have talked to a handful of dealers. All very friendly. Some seem a tad shady. When I get one or give up I will share my experience. T
    So far this community gives me hope that this isn’t all back ally out of a Van outfits moving pins.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Centerflank is back again??? Wtf is going on here?!
    Pro-tip: LITERALLY NEVER EVER SELL TRON OR TWD (PREM/LE) NEVER.

The hobby to me, was always more getting to know some good people and having some beers together.

The actual games are sorta irrelevant to me, they are replaceable. lol i sold 2 TWD premiums for the record.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

The hobby to me, was always more getting to know some good people and having some beers together.
    The actual games are sorta irrelevant to me, they are replaceable. lol i sold 2 TWD premiums for the record.

Which is why I’m suggesting you don’t make that mistake again, because TWD Premium is sick. What a good game! Definitely hear you there, it’s great meeting good people and hanging out. We started a local league 2 months ago and had some really awesome people come out of the woodwork!
    Pinball is one of the last decent hobbies, despite the drama. Gaming and conventions some other passions of mine are just miserable now.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

So far this community gives me hope that this isn’t all back ally out of a Van outfits moving pins.

Some of my best pinball deals have come out of white vans in parking lots!!!

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

1E874168-A41E-4E00-9420-E35A088D9C43 (resized).jpeg1E874168-A41E-4E00-9420-E35A088D9C43 (resized).jpeg
    #33 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

The actual games are sorta irrelevant to me

Tron?

#34 1 year ago

all of them, no matter how great a game is, it gets boring after 2500 plays

#35 1 year ago

There is one NIB, from a well known distro a 6 hour drive away from you...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/152890

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Get with Tilt Amusements. I have been hearing they have Elvira.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you haven’t dragged a game through the Allentown parking lot without a dolly in the rain and loaded it into a van, are you really “in the hobby”??

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I made a trade in the parking lot of Wright Patt Air Force Base.

#39 1 year ago

Sounds like a happy ending included.

#40 1 year ago

Hey @scottam2000, it so happens I will be down in Tucson next week. If you want to get together over a beer somewhere and chat pinball buying I'm happy to share my experience and (limited) advice. I've played most of my life, but only recently started buying, so lessons are fresh.

Just shoot me a message if I can be of help. I have nothing to sell you.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I feel like this needs its own thread. I traded my BSD for a Shadow in the parking lot of the Lodi Outlet Mall in front of the Wrangler jeans outlet store, to the confusion of many patrons.

#42 1 year ago

This is a small pond “still”. New folks “tend” to be more transaction based due to the click and buy on games now and with less need to form any type of relationships. This has happened more as the years go on.

Yet forming “actual, real life” relationships with people is still the way to go for help with anything you need and not just pinball, all the other stuff real life brings. This includes relationships with distros.

#43 1 year ago

Going through the pains of this myself at the moment. Thought going NIB would be the best approach but there are so many steps in the chain that when something goes wrong it’s a huge pain. I ordered a Godzilla from a dealer and it was smashed up when I opened the box. So I’m currently out $10k with nothing to show for it while this attempts to get resolved. Not sure if I’ll buy another NIB going forward with how painful the experience has been. I think cash on glass is probably the safest bet to ensure I actually get the machine I’m paying for going forward.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

all of them, no matter how great a game is, it gets boring after 2500 plays

I was gunna bring up Luci but your better off with out her! After you sold her to me she really let herself go and then her kids showed up and tried moving in... I had to send her packing!

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I was gunna bring up Luci but your better off with out her! After you sold her to me she really let herself go and then her kids showed up and tried moving in... I had to send her packing!

I figured she was gonna pack on the LB's......

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from tgarrett09:

Going through the pains of this myself at the moment. Thought going NIB would be the best approach but there are so many steps in the chain that when something goes wrong it’s a huge pain. I ordered a Godzilla from a dealer and it was smashed up when I opened the box. So I’m currently out $10k with nothing to show for it while this attempts to get resolved. Not sure if I’ll buy another NIB going forward with how painful the experience has been. I think cash on glass is probably the safest bet to ensure I actually get the machine I’m paying for going forward.

Another option is to buy from a dealer near enough to give you white glove delivery. If there is one, not sure your location. Often same price or less than shipping and they will
    Bring it in, unbox and set up. If there’s damage you don’t accept they take it back. You are still out in that case but less hassle. Very sorry you experienced that, it’s the exception not rule but sucks nonetheless

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The gate guards at Minot AFB knew the pinball delivery guy by name. ‘Oh, you’re going to that arcade guy’s house again. Move along!’

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from tgarrett09:

I think cash on glass is probably the safest bet to ensure I actually get the machine I’m paying for going forward.

still have to get it home in one piece?

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

still have to get it home in one piece?

you did get a machine and shipping damage does happen, sorry it happened to you !

are you saying whoever sold your new NIB isn't fixing or replacing the game ?

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from ScottAM2000:Whelp learning buying a new pin is a sport. I am going for Elvira. Yes I get it they are in demand. I’ve talked to my local Stern distributor a couple times. He is nice enough, but cannot seem to get inventory. Just all the back and fourth. You have sellers wanting bank draft, Bitcoin, mail me a check. Anything that doesn’t entail a secure payment like I don’t know credit card, pay pal. Misleading terms, website says one thing, seller says another. I understand the distributors are at the mercy of Stern. Also just seems to be a few questionable sellers. Then you have the flippers/scalpers racing around snapping up inventory to try to resell. Just a little frustrated and see how folks can be swayed from the hobby.

I think your frustrations will continue with:
    Delivery to setup
    Seeing Sterns lack of quality control first hand
    Spending your free time fixing and adjusting your BRAND NEW game
    Spending your free time troubleshooting problems in the future (which will happen, either weekly or monthly)
    Realizing 11,000.00 is missing from your bank account or you're stuck with a high interest credit card bill
    Realizing it will probably collected dust after a month or two, and you want another one

Buckle up, it might be a steep and expensive learning curve.

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.