You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170921_164356 (resized).jpg
attack mars.gif
IMG_1481 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hey, I recently came into some money to burn and I'm trying to choose between NIB versions of MMr or AFMr which is about $1k less with Shaker and colour display included. I find both nearly equal for playability/fun, but I can only afford one and I think both will hold their value over the years with minimal maintenance; am I being overly optimistic?

#2 6 years ago

If you can, play them both and get the one you like.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Buy the one you like most, they're both great games,

Retaining value? You could Buy one used, save a few bucks, do some research. Nib is great, but as soon as you open it... it's like driving a new car off the lot, it will drop in value.

#4 6 years ago

My completely subjective opinion: I prefer AFM. I love Sci-Fi, the humor and stereotypes, the Orson Welles vibe, and the openness of the game, and the clarity of the rules. Just feels right.

#5 6 years ago

I have an original mm, I find myself wanting to play afm more and more

#6 6 years ago

Which ever one you choose you will be happy with. They are both great titles, If your looking to get it NIB you better go with MMR since they won't have them in stock for to much longer. I've had my MMR at a location for a little over two years, compared to the others I have this one has the least amount of issues. The issues I do have with it are pretty simple, So I wouldn't worry.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Which ever one you choose you will be happy with. They are both great titles, If your looking to get it NIB you better go with MMR since they won't have them in stock for to much longer. I've had my MMR at a location for a little over two years, compared to the others I have this one has the least amount of issues. The issues I do have with it are pretty simple, So I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, the dealer mentioned that supply is going to dry up soon. Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance question. BTW, I hadn't considered putting the machine into service; how profitable is that in relation to the added wear and tear?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have an original mm, I find myself wanting to play afm more and more

The grass is always greener....

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

My completely subjective opinion: I prefer AFM. I love Sci-Fi, the humor and stereotypes, the Orson Welles vibe, and the openness of the game, and the clarity of the rules. Just feels right.

I'm leaning towards AFM

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Retaining value? You could Buy one used, save a few bucks, do some research. Nib is great, but as soon as you open it... it's like driving a new car off the lot, it will drop in value.

But that 'new car' smells so good

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Zapped:

But that 'new car' smells so good

Indeed!

#12 6 years ago

Have both originals and love them but i play afm alot more and ive had it much longer than mm. To me its faster, more difficult and i perfer the code .

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Have both originals and love them but i play afm alot more and ive had it much longer than mm. To me its faster, more difficult and i perfer the code .

Much appreciated

#14 6 years ago

Medieval is "better" but Attack is also damn fun and cheaper. My opinion of course.

#15 6 years ago

I slightly prefer MM as a game, although I think Chicago Gaming did a much better job with the AFM remake.

#16 6 years ago

I have thousands of plays on MM and very few on AFM so I went with AFMr, both are great games!

Quoted from valgalder:

I slightly prefer MM as a game, although I think Chicago Gaming did a much better job with the AFM remake.

I agree CGC nailed it with AFMr I wish they would have done a similar build on MMr LE

#17 6 years ago

I went with afmr and hoping to get mmr sometime next year. I know that cgc plans to build 500 more mmr in house but haven't heard that will be the last. It could be of course, but I think they will continue to build them if the demand is still there.

#18 6 years ago

I sold my previous collection of 3 nice games so I could order MMr and AFMr. You can't go wrong either way but as others have said CGC did a masterful job with AFMr with the larger display, high resolution color dots included, upgraded speakers, and other enhancements. That's what I would choose if limited to only one.

#19 6 years ago

What a cruel joke!
Only buy one?
That's like choosing which kid you would save.
I say take the money put it all on RED.
Then buy them BOTH!!!!!!!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

I say take the money put it all on RED

WRONG.....

IMG_1481 (resized).JPGIMG_1481 (resized).JPG

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

This, especially the LE. The topper is a difference maker.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Zapped:

Yeah, the dealer mentioned that supply is going to dry up soon. Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance question. BTW, I hadn't considered putting the machine into service; how profitable is that in relation to the added wear and tear?

really depends on location: foot traffic, clientele base, hours, smoking etc.
I'd highly suggest you get any and all protectors you can find for the machine. other then that it's all up to you to make sure it's kept up with. in the time I've had my MMR I've probably had to pay a few hundred in upkeep cost. I had to replace 4 coils one time, but it was due to my own ignorance (Don't stick two machines on one timer). Last time I checked the machine was really close if not already payed off. This is with a 50/50 split.

Two year payoff is great for something that can maintain value like a pin. Unlike a golden tee or vending machine which cost 5k and 4k respectively. Then if you go to sell them you loose 50 to 75% not to mention the damn update fees they get you with every year. usually pins hold their value a lot better then that, even a routed well maintained one.

#23 6 years ago

AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE
AFMRLE

#24 6 years ago

AFMSE, or LE, either is a better value.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Buying used should save you money, but these MMR owners are all trying to get full price or more as if their remakes have gone up in value. It's bogus. I've been waiting 2 years to see $6500-$7k used MMRs and I'm not even seeing $7500 MMRs. I'm sitting on the sidelines until I see rational pricing.

If you decide on MMR and dont want to wait just get a new one for $8k. Do not pay $8k+ for used.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Buying used should save you money, but these MMR owners are all trying to get full price or more as if their remakes have gone up in value. It's bogus. I've been waiting 2 years to see $6500-$7k used MMRs and I'm not even seeing $7500 MMRs. I'm sitting on the sidelines until I see rational pricing.
If you decide on MMR and dont want to wait just get a new one for $8k. Do not pay $8k+ for used.

New MMRs for $8K haven't existed in months, if not a year. The lowest I've seen for a Standard in stock this year is $8300 without any options (shaker, Color chip). Even with the next CGC run they won't be any lower than that. Realistically if I were to sell mine (but I'm not) I'd price it around $7600. Based upon demand (still fairly high) and how much other newer used pins have been holding in value I don't expect you'll ever one below $7000 unless it's a heavily used machine, unshopped and off route.

I do agree, don't pay $8K+ for used, especially a Standard.....

#27 6 years ago

I've played MM a few times, scored well, but in the end just didn't like the theme or overall experience. Also played AFM (orig and remake) a few times and nothing could pry me away from those machines for hours. I would say read and watch videos of how to play both, then actually do play them. What may look good to you on paper could actually convey a completely different experience in real life. Pinball is experiencial, and also a long-term "investment" (i.e. don't get stuck with a pin you end up not liking). A bad pin purchase is akin to that home exercise equipment that was going to change your life forever. You liked it at first, you soon lost interest after a few months after realizing it's not all that great, and now it's just a piece of non-functional furniture taking up space and covered with dirty laundry.

#28 6 years ago

Just pick one...then swap it with someone that bought the other one in a year or 2.

#29 6 years ago

Certainly you should buy whichever one you like better. I have owned both and still own MM but plan on owning AFM again someday. I personally find AFM a little more repetitive and the shots a bit better on MM. i like the alternating ramp shots which both games have but I just can't seem to hit them on AFM reliably as they are very tight but they seem to flow very well on MM. I think shooting the flying saucer is a little more exciting than shooting the castle but on MM it just seems more fun shooting the other shots to light each madness and go for royal madness and AFM doesn't have the same sort of shot equality(my opinion). Martians are cool but I think trolls are a little cooler. I actually prefer the alien theme but both themes are amazing. You should try to play them both a bunch and then decide. Good luck.

#30 6 years ago

I've always been fond of MM, and I've played an MMR on site. I just got my AFMR - the build, execution, experience and goodies (sound, HD screen, topper etc.) just blow MMR out of the water (not that MMR is BAD, mind you).
Go with AFMR LE while they're still available - you won't regret it.

#31 6 years ago

I've played a few AFM originals over the years and always have had a slight game preference to MM (though I prefer the scifi theme). Now that I have an AFMR LE, there is no comparison IMO. The upgrades put it cleanly over the top. The sound quality is the best out of any the games I've owned and the light show and topper is amazing. AFMR LE all the way.

#32 6 years ago

tough choice, I would probably lean towards AFMr

#33 6 years ago

honestly I have never played AFMr, but I love my MMR LE. Its awesome! Probably a reason its # 1 in the top 100

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Certainly you should buy whichever one you like better. I have owned both and still own MM but plan on owning AFM again someday. I personally find AFM a little more repetitive and the shots a bit better on MM. i like the alternating ramp shots which both games have but I just can't seem to hit them on AFM reliably as they are very tight but they seem to flow very well on MM. I think shooting the flying saucer is a little more exciting than shooting the castle but on MM it just seems more fun shooting the other shots to light each madness and go for royal madness and AFM doesn't have the same sort of shot equality(my opinion). Martians are cool but I think trolls are a little cooler. I actually prefer the alien theme but both themes are amazing. You should try to play them both a bunch and then decide. Good luck.

Oh and just to clarify I haven't owned either remake just originals. Looks to me the AFM remake was done better than MM. I especially like the fact that they put a driver board in the backbox on AFMr and on MMr the driver transistors are under the playfield. Plus AFMr is cheaper and you can get the oversized display which is sweet. I can't wait to see CCCr!!!

1 month later
#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

honestly I have never played AFMr, but I love my MMR LE. Its awesome! Probably a reason its # 1 in the top 100

Ok so I decided to order an AFMR LE too. The MMR is just so good.. that i am sure AFM is awesome also. So my advice, just buy both !

#36 6 years ago

If only one.....AFMr

attack mars.gifattack mars.gif

#37 6 years ago

MMR.... you will be able to get a AFMR for a while yet

#38 6 years ago

I own them both, AFMR is immediate fun, loud and in your face. MMR is a great theme and my kids love it but as of right now AFMR. I jumped on a MMR earlier in the year in fear of them drying up and going bye bye thou.

#39 6 years ago

Just get both!! Worry about the bills later.

20170921_164356 (resized).jpg20170921_164356 (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago

For those with both, the machines seem so similar in layout and call-outs for my tiny collection, but I see so many people with BOTH, makes me wonder. Do you you guys give both machines similar amounts of play?

Our local arcade (now closed) had a tired original MM which I played a ton and enjoyed. The goofy call-outs on MMr and AFMr are part if the attraction for me.

Maybe I'll hold out for MBr (please), another fun machine with enough variation from SFMr and MMr. .

#41 6 years ago

I wouldnt want both in a tiny collection, especially on a budget. Equal price I'd take a MM, but I do have some nostalgia coming into the equation. Without that I'd probably go for AFM. It's a more challenging game. If its $1000 less I'd easily choose AFM.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

For those with both, the machines seem so similar in layout and call-outs for my tiny collection, but I see so many people with BOTH, makes me wonder. Do you you guys give both machines similar amounts of play?
Our local arcade (now closed) had a tired original MM which I played a ton and enjoyed. The goofy call-outs on MMr and AFMr are part if the attraction for me.
Maybe I'll hold out for MBr (please), another fun machine with enough variation from SFMr and MMr. .

I don't think that similar layouts equates to similar games. Afm and Metallica have a lot of layout similarities, but are different enough to both stay interesting. I would comfortably have afm, mm, and Metallica as my only 3 pins.

#43 6 years ago

AFM!

#44 6 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to have MMr and AFMr as my only 2 pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 45.00
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-time-buyer-choosing-between-mmr-afmr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.