• 41 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by arcademojo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WIKIPEDIA_-_definition_of_a_troll_-_yellow_background (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I have been on the fence about Stern for a long time. Recently I was at a competition and had a chance to play a couple and decided I would like to buy one. I do have a bunch of games, probably too many, but would be willing to sell one to make space for something new. The games I think i would like the best are Spiderman, Ghostbusters or Iron Man. Although LOTR has great reviews i dont think i want such an epic scale deep game at the moment. I am a bit concerned about the quality issue and guess that i should maybe avoid the vault editions?
What do you guys recommend?

#2 2 years ago

Of the ones you listed Spiderman. Or possibly Metallica , ACDC, Family Guy, etc.

#4 2 years ago

Well,
I just happened to like the themes, plus they have good reputations as great players. I would lean toward ac/dc before Metallica, but Family Guy isnt something I know.

#5 2 years ago

Get one there great. You'll want another before long.

#6 2 years ago

There are some great, underrated Sterns. My suggestion would be Sopranos, CSI, 24 and Austin Powers.

#7 2 years ago

Out of the ones you said you like best I would get iron man. But have you considered AC DC it's a really fun game.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

The games I think i would like the best are Spiderman, Ghostbusters or Iron Man. Although LOTR has great reviews i dont think i want such an epic scale deep game at the moment. I am a bit concerned about the quality issue and guess that i should maybe avoid the vault editions?

There's nothing wrong with Iron Man Vault Edition...the quality on those was fantastic. Spidey Vault is where the playfield ghosting issues began.

#9 2 years ago

I think Stars is one of their better games and would be a good one to start with.

#10 2 years ago

Nine Ball, Flight 2000, Seawitch, or Big Game.
These don't disappoint new Stern buyers.
This is comparative to your own tastes in games.
You will also save around $6K PER GAME.
In fact, you can buy all four for the same cost of any of the games you mentioned.

#11 2 years ago

If I had to choose between Spiderman, Ghostbusters , Iron Man or LOTR, I would choose Metallica.

#12 2 years ago

Spiderman,my favorite pin

#13 2 years ago

GB is pretty good. Iron Man and Spider Man are great.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

There are some great, underrated Sterns. My suggestion would be Sopranos, CSI, 24 and Austin Powers.

R U smokin crack. 24 and Austin Powers? What did the op ever do to you to recommend such crappy games?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

R U smokin crack. 24 and Austin Powers? What did the op ever do to you to recommend such crappy games?

Trolling

#16 2 years ago

Iron Man would wear thin as your only Stern pin. It's a fun game, but it's really about one shot.

I'd get a (classic) Spiderman Red or Black, or Metallica Premium (not Pro). Game of Thrones Premium is also a GREAT home game since it has a ton of strategy and things to do. Ghostbusters *maybe*, but it feels like a chore to play for me.

#17 2 years ago

The op has 37 pins in his collection and is obviously not talking about buying an old person stern game.
Op, I guess watch out for the ghosting on newer titles (Spiderman ve and beyond) by buying used and inspecting them in person but buy what you think you will like.
I like my sterns!

#18 2 years ago

WIKIPEDIA_-_definition_of_a_troll_-_yellow_background (resized).jpg

#19 2 years ago

Trolling? see post #17

#20 2 years ago

Ghostbusters "Premium" and don't look back! Sterns best game ever in my opinion!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Trolling? see post #17

I have no real idea what trolling means anymore.

From what I can tell it is a word that is used quite liberally on this forum in regards to how somebody has a different view of an inanimate object called a pinball machine.

The only insult to a person seems to be from the one calling him a troll.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Austin Powers isn't bad, really...Iron Man was based on it. It's essentially Iron Man with Monster Bash rules. Since no one wants it, you can get them for ~$2k ...not bad when newer games are $5k+

#23 2 years ago

I don't troll. It's good advice about 24 and Austin Powers. But your response to opinions you disagree with sure is trolling.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have no real idea what trolling means anymore.
From what I can tell it is a word that is used quite liberally on this forum in regards to how somebody has a different view of an inanimate object called a pinball machine.
The only insult to a person seems to be from the one calling him a troll.

O-din, trolling is like when a person post a photoshopped pic of 2 kids riding an alligator and trying to get people to believe it.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

The op has 37 pins in his collection and is obviously not talking about buying an old person stern game.

22/37 games listed were built before 1970.
What is obvious?
Can you define "old person collector" for the community?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

I have been on the fence about Stern for a long time. Recently I was at a competition and had a chance to play a couple and decided I would like to buy one. I do have a bunch of games, probably too many, but would be willing to sell one to make space for something new. The games I think i would like the best are Spiderman, Ghostbusters or Iron Man. Although LOTR has great reviews i dont think i want such an epic scale deep game at the moment. I am a bit concerned about the quality issue and guess that i should maybe avoid the vault editions?

I have a SM vault that was produced in November of 2016. No ghosting issues, no clear coat issues. Dimples? Sure, but that's normal.

If you were to buy a NIB later production SM VE you would likely be just fine.

But, I don't know what your current collection consists of, but I have my SM VE sitting next to a Star Trek Premium. The ST gets more plays - at least from me.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

22/37 games listed were built before 1970.

And in the original post how many old games was he talking about?

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

And in the original post how many old games was he talking about?

"Explore the world of pinball, and people may discover more innovation than anything offered in the past 15+ years."

#30 2 years ago

You have no music pins, so get yourself an AC/DC good flow, music with larger sub, build feels more solid then today's Sterns.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

O-din, trolling is like when a person post a photoshopped pic of 2 kids riding an alligator and trying to get people to believe it.

I believe that photo is real.

I'm pretty easy going and like to voice my opinion, but it sure seems there is a lot of hate and discord between some of the members on this board.

If I was to say I like pistachio ice cream and somebody else told me pistachio ice cream sucks, I wouldn't be offended, and I certainly wouldn't call him a troll. In the end that would just mean more pistachio ice cream for me.

#32 2 years ago

Family Guy is a great pin. There shouldn't be any concern about any of the recent quality issues. Mine has been rock solid for years the gameplay hasn't gotten stale yet. Fun and unique with a great theme.

#33 2 years ago

TSPP would be my first Stern, especially considering the price point.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I believe that photo is real.
I'm pretty easy going and like to voice my opinion, but it sure seems there is a lot of hate and discord between some of the members on this board.
If I was to say I like pistachio ice cream and somebody else told me pistachio ice cream sucks, I wouldn't be offended, and I certainly wouldn't call him a troll. In the end that would just mean more pistachio ice cream for me.

Yeah I know! I'm just messin with you.....it probably is real. It's real stupid I can tell you that much! I don't get offended over some Dumbazz on a message board, that's just dumb.

#35 2 years ago

Lord of the Rings or if you're open to a non-Stern, Alien.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Iron Man would wear thin as your only Stern pin. It's a fun game, but it's really about one shot.

I used to call it a one ball game... until I bought one. I now consider it one of the better Stern games.

OP, you really need to consider what you like in games. Fast and brutal? IM. Flowing and amazing? Tron. Complex scoring strategies? AC/DC. Combinations of bash multi balls with amazing rules? MET. Best of the best? LOTR. All of the Stern games offer something different. I'd stick to the top games if I was you. Stern made a lot of fun, but "lesser" games. I love RCT, but I'd avoid it as my first Stern. All the less expensive ones (RCT, Monopoly, NASCAR...) are priced there for a reason. So pick the style game you like, and that will lead you right to one.

#37 2 years ago

I really like GB, ST, and Met. Play a bunch of different machines and get the one you like best.

#38 2 years ago

GB, MET, AC/DC,TRON, LOTR, IRON MAN, STAR TREK, RBION.

#39 2 years ago

Live wild! Buy a pine cone air freshener and a Big Buck Hunter!

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I used to call it a one ball game... until I bought one. I now consider it one of the better Stern games.

It's good, but I probably wouldn't even own one again. It is a GREAT quick machine, though because most balls don't last that long, and even if you get a "good" game, it's 10-15 minutes.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Can you define "old person collector" for the community?

Well golly gee! I guess I'm in the "old person collector" category.
My Meteor and Galaxy are just as much fun as my MET and LOTR are in their own way.
It's the modern age pinball collector. 20 something year old's that started playing on pinball arcade.
Old person collector or what I like to call Classic collector:
1) Started playing pinball in real arcades.
2) Knows the use of nudging was started from pinballs that didn't have flippers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 19.95
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside