download.jpg
giphy_1.gif
20151007_234707.jpg
20151007_225144.jpg
20151007_224820.jpg
20151006_212819.jpg
20151006_203703.jpg
received_10153775617362994.jpeg
There are 470 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
#351 8 years ago

Sorry to see the glass like that... but pics like that almost demand a story

#352 8 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Sorry to see the glass like that... but pics like that almost demand a story

*sigh* Alright. So while this was being stored, I had in the old glass in it, the glass from the fire. When I went to remove it, it was being very stubborn. I got it half way off and got just a bit too rough and boom. It was a hell of a sound

#353 8 years ago

Here we go

20151001_195308.jpg20151001_195308.jpg

20151001_195239.jpg20151001_195239.jpg

#354 8 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

One step forward, two steps back

Oh, dude...I hope you'll forgive me for the hysterical, guffawing laughter I just let out when I saw your caption and pictures. I hate to say it, man, but that may be the most expensive $25 pin I've ever seen.

Sorry, but oh, my word...that is *FUNNY*!!!!!!

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

I hate to say it, man, but that may be the most expensive $25 pin I've ever seen

Hahaha you ain't lying. This was the original bad glass anyways. I remember putting it on there "incase something happens". Turns out I was right.
Oh well, was being replaced anyways.

#356 8 years ago

Installing some new speakers. I have to be ready for board day. I got ROMs in today from John Wart. If you ever need ROMs, please consider John. He also helped me find the boards for an unbelievable cheap price, $525 actually. Talk about a stand up guy.

20151003_224955.jpg20151003_224955.jpg

20151003_225120.jpg20151003_225120.jpg

20151003_225002.jpg20151003_225002.jpg

20151003_225007.jpg20151003_225007.jpg

20151003_225241.jpg20151003_225241.jpg

20151003_230538.jpg20151003_230538.jpg

20151003_235353.jpg20151003_235353.jpg

20151003_235403.jpg20151003_235403.jpg

#357 8 years ago

Boards are in. I have to go pick them up about 20 minutes away. I will be picking them up after work. I'll need to run the wires and install boards and roms tonight. The tricky part is going to be getting the connections in their appropriate spot. Remember most of the wires are brown or black at this point. Hopefully the keys will help me out with the connections. A very helpful pinhead on a Facebook group took the time to send me dozens of photos this week. She is amazing. Thanks Christy if you are on here as well!

EDIT: I probably won't be ready to hit the switch tonight but it'll be in the next two to three days for sure as long as everything arrived as it is supposed to.

#358 8 years ago

You didn't wash the harness?

At least get some rags and alcohol (maybe some Mean Green too) to wipe off the soot on the wires so you can see the wire color.

#359 8 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

At least get some rags and alcohol (maybe some Mean Green too) to wipe off the soot on the wires so you can see the wire color.

Put the harness in the dish washer. I did that with my Pinbot, worked like a charm. Vid suggested it, so I won't take credit for that idea.

#360 8 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Yeah I did, they were pretty bad. I'll post some pictures in just a second. I washed them first with mean green and then They soaked in a bath of Alcohol for a day. They got a little better but still not good at all.

Quoted from thedefog:

Put the harness in the dish washer. I did that with my Pinbot, worked like a charm. Vid suggested it, so I won't take credit for that idea.

I would have to unsolder from the board. For some reason, this pin the wires go from the board connections all the way to soldered on the playfield parts. There is no connections, I've never seen that in a pin. That's not out of the question to try but it won't be until I know I can make this thing run again. Even then, I doubt that would do any better than Mean Green and alcohol.

#361 8 years ago

Wires get darker closer to the connections so I'll have to follow them back.
Box showed up busted to hell. Boards look fine but I'll have to see about the DMD. DMD does have burn in.

20151001_195308.jpg20151001_195308.jpg
received_10153775594302994.jpegreceived_10153775594302994.jpeg
received_10153775617392994.jpegreceived_10153775617392994.jpeg
received_10153775617362994.jpegreceived_10153775617362994.jpeg

#362 8 years ago

For the metal backbox mount (is there a name for this piece?) it is rusted to hell. I am just trying to make sure I can get the game running before I pull this piece and restore it. So what I am doing for testing is sanding down the mounts to achieve a solid ground. I de-rusted the screws that hold the boards in and they are drying now. Once I verify everything works, I will pull the mount out and will probably have to paint everything but the mounts. It is extremely pitted due to extensive rust.

#363 8 years ago

Holy crap, I'm getting nervous.

Again, I cleaned the board mounts, not the full back. I'm waiting to see if I can get it running before i do any more restoring. I'm way over my price point as it is.

20151006_203703.jpg20151006_203703.jpg

#364 8 years ago

Had to call it quits for the night. Down to about 15 connections and I need to solder up a couple things.

20151006_212819.jpg20151006_212819.jpg

#365 8 years ago

You're making me nervous as well!

#366 8 years ago

Ha!

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Wake up and plug this sucker in - now!

#367 8 years ago

boards look good. But those connectors are probably all gummed up with smoke residue. Things might not work right until you repin every single connector. Going to be a big job. Not expensive but very time consuming.

#368 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

boards look good. But those connectors are probably all gummed up with smoke residue. Things might not work right until you repin every single connector. Going to be a big job. Not expensive but very time consuming.

I guarantee this is going to be the case as well. I'm not looking forward to it but I realize it needs to be done. Boards do look good though, I hope the DMD didn't get damaged in the move and I hope the MONOPOLY burn in is not too severe when it's being played.

Quoted from rufessor:

Ha!
THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!
Wake up and plug this sucker in - now!

Oh shush

#369 8 years ago

Getting closer...

I lost the light harness for the strip tease toy, so I'll have to make my own when it comes time.

#370 8 years ago

Here's my prediction.
40% chance fuse will blow
30% chance it'll work
20% chance it'll do nothing
10% chance it'll catch on fire again

#371 8 years ago

20% it is.
Lights came on some sound indication comes through, (what does this mean)?

Nothing on DMD. When I first started turning it on, the leds on the driver board, half were on. Now they are all on. The sound didn't come on for like 30 seconds when turned on, now its immediately.

This is the sound.

#372 8 years ago

I would have guessed 85% it would do nothing. Maybe GI's at best. With gummed up connectors, it won't do much. it's going to be hard for those connectors to make continuity.

#373 8 years ago

Well, first step in the right direction.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to start redoing the connections. I have the wire harness from the parted out redemption. They have the same connections and even keyed perfectly. I should be able to remove the old wires from those, nip the new wires and plug them in correctly.

I don't know anything about Sterns so bare with me. Is there a switch that is putting it into the menu? Is it going into menu since this is the first time its being booted?

20151007_224820.jpg20151007_224820.jpg

20151007_225144.jpg20151007_225144.jpg

#374 8 years ago

It sounds like it's immediately going into diagnostics. Likely shorted diagnostics switch or wiring.

Your dead display will likely be ribbon cables to/from the DMD driver board. Ensure both ribbon cables are red stripe to pin one on both sides. It seems like the game is booting. You wouldn't get that sound if it wasn't.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#375 8 years ago

Thanks Rob. I was curious on the switches at the coin door so I disconnected them near the door. That didn't change it. So that means it's in the backbox more than likely. This was the same sound it was making with the old boards so I know its not the new boards. I will have to trace them up this weekend. More than likely they got melted together.

I got the DMD going, let's just say someone working on this game is an idiot

#376 8 years ago

May not be 100% yet, but still impressive.

#377 8 years ago

i don't know if the wiring harness from something else will work. Might have some of the same connectors, but they will be all different lengths and go to totally different areas of the playfield. Plus you won't have high power going where you need it, thicker GI wires where want and need them. That would just be a shit mess. I'd stick with this one and just put new molex connectors on everything.

#378 8 years ago

you could just send the harness out. I'm sure someone here would redo all the connectors for you for a charge.

#379 8 years ago

Disconnect CN6 from the driver board. That may get you into attract mode. Follow those wires back into the cabinet to find the short if so.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#380 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i don't know if the wiring harness from something else will work. Might have some of the same connectors, but they will be all different lengths and go to totally different areas of the playfield. Plus you won't have high power going where you need it, thicker GI wires where want and need them. That would just be a shit mess. I'd stick with this one and just put new molex connectors on everything.

I was talking about just replacing the connectors, not the whole harness. I have all the ones I need since the redemption game used the same boards and the connections are already keyed the same. Not sure if you can reuse these connections.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you could just send the harness out. I'm sure someone here would redo all the connectors for you for a charge.

I'm actually pretty good at crimping, I have had a lot of experience on Sys 6 games in the area. I think I might go that route, its the safest way really. I haven't decided.

20151007_234707.jpg20151007_234707.jpg

#381 8 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Disconnect CN6 from the driver board. That may get you into attract mode. Follow those wires back into the cabinet to find the short if so.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

giphy (1).gifgiphy (1).gif

#382 8 years ago

Centerfold closed correctly. Strip tease motor is running continuously. The pyramid spinny thing is not spinning to its correct spot, but I'm pumped!

#383 8 years ago

I would not try and use those pressure type connectors. They are garbage. Use the trifucate pins and make new molex style connectors.

#384 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would not try and use those pressure type connectors. They are garbage. Use the trifucate pins and make new molex style connectors.

I'm building a list of connections right now. There's no point in going all out this far to cheap out now. It looks like I'll be around $35 before shipping on all the connections. It will be a very long process. I'll probably try to do 3 or 4 a day so I don't burn myself out.

#385 8 years ago

Awesome news!!!! Yes!

Congrats- might as well get gold plated- they will never corode and your never going to sell this game after all this.

#386 8 years ago

Small update. I actually got pretty good at wiggling CN6 and being able to move my way through the menu. Wiggle left for select, wiggle to the right to navigate left, etc. So I got to the centerfold motor test and it turns out that's the one getting stuck running. The Closed switch isn't activating so really I'm at a stand still until I can rebuild the connections. That's going to be almost all of my problems.

1 week later
#387 8 years ago

download.jpgdownload.jpg

#389 8 years ago

Outstanding!!!

#390 8 years ago

Thanks guys, GPE was out of town and their site was down last week (I'm assuming for the expo) so I will get around to purchasing these connectors sometime this week.

#391 8 years ago

I restored(ish) this TAF with 40 hours and about $1200 in parts. New topper, multiple new Rottendog boards (I wimped out on troubleshooting them) and it plays great.

If you read my profile story this was the game that gave me the bug.

d92cb73c54b40452df7c5e0d96391b7ec71706fa.jpgd92cb73c54b40452df7c5e0d96391b7ec71706fa.jpg

#392 8 years ago

That's awesome! It looks like someone deflated the topper.

#393 8 years ago

Just bought all the connectors. It was around $32 shipped. Over 250 parts in the order and I forgot the damn keys...

#394 8 years ago

email and they might be able to add them to your order...Looking good, cant wait to see it done..

#395 8 years ago

Email sent, still waiting to hear from them. Hopefully we can get that added with no issues, I can do it without them but I would much rather not. If I was a full on operator I would just break toothpicks in them

#396 8 years ago

Ok, I got the keys added to the order. They were very quick to respond to me, I love dealing with GPE. I have a couple switches coming from Marco that snapped off while I was cleaning them. That should tell you how brittle some of this stuff is to deal with. I am sure I will end up replacing at least a quarter of the switches after a little gameplay.

#397 8 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Ok, I got the keys added to the order. They were very quick to respond to me, I love dealing with GPE. I have a couple switches coming from Marco that snapped off while I was cleaning them. That should tell you how brittle some of this stuff is to deal with. I am sure I will end up replacing at least a quarter of the switches after a little gameplay.

I sincerely hope that I get to play this machine one day. It's kind of a semi-obsession with me, quite frankly. I'm always checking for updates, which you've been very kind about posting, thank you.

I shudder to think what this thing will end up costing you in the end.

#398 8 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

I sincerely hope that I get to play this machine one day. It's kind of a semi-obsession with me, quite frankly. I'm always checking for updates, which you've been very kind about posting, thank you.

Thanks, I like hearing that. It has been a very long tiring process. I doubt I will take anything like this on for a few years after this one. If I came across another, I will do some steps to prevent further rusting and I would store it for a bit.

Quoted from boagman:

I shudder to think what this thing will end up costing you in the end.

I quit adding it up for the exact same reason.

#399 8 years ago

the used stuff you buy should have the same value if you end up parting it out. It's a great journey to follow and think about all you are learning.

-c

#400 8 years ago

Enjoy learning all the cool stuff and when your done, you will have an awesome mechanical beast that will keep you and your friends entertained for a very long time- although a beer or two never hurts

I have two games ripped apart currently with pieces spread all over the place- and yet slowly, slowly, a pinball machine appears from the dust. This is fun stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 470 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-stern-a-smoking-hot-2002-playboy-extensive-smoke-damage/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.