• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by emsrph
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

TL;DR: At bottom.

Well, I had some “fun” today. I picked up a Mata Hari a month back and have been slowly fixing pieces to get it back 100%.

The original back box knocker was missing (actually unwound completely) with just the lug wires hanging there loose.

I am new to the hobby and had not done much with repairs of this nature so I ordered a new coil from PBL. It came in last week and after putting it in and firing up the game, the fuse blew.

I did some reading and found out how to test the transistors on the solenoid board and found q3 (knocker) to be bad. Had to make another parts order.

Finally today I received the new tip102s. I replaced the bad one and fired the machine back up. Blew the fuse again. Ugh. Perhaps I wired the coil backward? I reversed the wires and turned machine back on and enjoyed a beautiful smoke show coming from the solenoid board.

I pulled the board and replaced the new blown tip102 and unhooked the coil. I started testing all the connections and couldn’t get continuity from j3 pin 4 to anywhere the schematic showed it should.

I finally started following the trace on the back of the board to see the smoke show was the trace burning off the board.

I spliced a new trace and got continuity.

Checked the brand new coil and it had a shorted diode. Replaced diode and everything fired up properly.

Sheesh...who would think to check a brand new coil and diode? I guess I will from now on. Happy first coil install!

TL;DR: Always check your diodes on coils. Oh, and make sure to turn off machine when soldering the wiring on coils...ouch.

#2 3 years ago

Wow, that was an adventure. Glad you got it fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-solenoid-replacement-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.