6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0098 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hello everyone.

This is my first attempt at replacing anything in my machines. So far it's just been cleaning contacts, cleaning steppers, and adjusting switches. I have the schematics, but I'm still trying to figure out how to read them.

I had to change my first relay in my Gottlieb Sweethearts today. The machine would light up, but wouldn't drop a ball and start the game. I noticed a fuse kept blowing and realized my hold relay was shot.

I was unable to find any R20-4 #29 relays online so I swapped it with an A-9735. The A-9735 mounts backwards so I had to solder the wires to the opposite posts due to length. I assumed soldering the cables to either posts would be fine as long as it makes a circuit. Now I'm getting no power when I plug in the machine.

So, is it the different relay giving me trouble, the cables I soldered, or something totally new and different? I'm attaching pics. Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_0100 (resized).JPGIMG_0100 (resized).JPG

IMG_0098 (resized).JPGIMG_0098 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

The A-9735 is a substitute for the original R20-4 relay coil. Yes, the terminals on the new coil are on a different end than the original. Also, the new coil is a sixteenth of an inch taller than the R20-4 coil so switch contact blades will need to be adjusted for a proper gap and "make" action.

CAUTION: If adjusting the blades, be sure to unplug the machine's power cord from the wall as this relay's contacts are 120 volts AC.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks the info. Is it okay that I switched which terminal the cables are soldered to? The red and white was too short to reach the far end.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from EddieF:

Thanks the info. Is it okay that I switched which terminal the cables are soldered to? The red and white was too short to reach the far end.

The terminals are reversible as long as it's not the type of coil that has a diode on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-relay-solder-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.