(Topic ID: 11229)

First real deal shop job, with pics!

By Leeb18509

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin_(7).jpg
    pin_(4).jpg
    pin_(2).jpg
    pin_(1).jpg
    013.jpg
    011.jpg
    009.jpg
    006.jpg
    003.jpg
    002.jpg
    001.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

So I gave my WH20 the best I could given my limited skill level. It wasn't a complete waste case so there's no dramatic before and after pics.

The good:
    New boulder set
    New star posts
    Replaced all the plastics I could find
    Shined every piece of metal I could
    Playfield got the TC buffer kit and wax treatment
    New rubber, even the black ones!
    Attempted to flame polish ramps
    New ramp decals
    Removed mylar from mini-playfield and pop bumper area
    Installed Mantis ramp protectors
    Glued bigfoots arm hair back on

The bad:
    Insanity falls decal is terrible, what can you do?
    Probably went too easy on the flame polishing but maybe not.
    Game plays a whole lot different with Mantis and red rubbers. Hulk MAD!
    I used the bag and tag method which was okay, but I made the mistake of making "piles" at times, which was bad. Also I really, really, really wished I would've written down the ORDER I took things apart so that I could reassemble it in reverse much easier. I must've taken off the bigfoot bluff ramp at least 5 times during reassembly.

A big thanks to any and all online resources I used.

001.jpg001.jpg 002.jpg002.jpg 003.jpg003.jpg 006.jpg006.jpg 009.jpg009.jpg 011.jpg011.jpg

#2 12 years ago

More...

013.jpg013.jpg pin_(1).jpgpin_(1).jpg pin_(2).jpgpin_(2).jpg pin_(4).jpgpin_(4).jpg

#3 12 years ago

Looks good! I finished my wh20 up today also. Did you have any issues with the mantis install? I had a Hell of a time with them and decided to take em off.

#4 12 years ago

Lookin good, nice job

#5 12 years ago

Looks great! Nice job

#6 12 years ago

Hey,

How'd you like the Treasure Cove kit? I have a WhiteWater that doesn't desperately need a teardown, but it never hurts. Figured it might be worthwhile to have for that and The Shadow...

Luke

#7 12 years ago

Heck yes !! That looks very nice ! Nice job on getting it back together..

Jim

#8 12 years ago

LooK's Awesome.. I've Owned WH20 3-times.. I Would have another.. Are you Gonna up-Grade the Game rom ?

#9 12 years ago

SWEET! That is one Pin I would love to own. It is looking great, keep us updated.

#10 12 years ago

Thanks everybody!

Mantis kit went okay, but it would be nice if they told you that you basically have to drill 4 new holes in the playfield.

I bought the TC 3" pads and the power cut #2 & 1. The 3" pads were pretty big, bigger than I thought. Probably would get the 2" next time to get into the smaller areas. Not like it takes that much to go over the whole PF anyway. I used the PC 2 then 1 then some carnuba wax.

B_R, I've got the LH-6 ROM. Latest and greatest. Ball save, beeyotch!

#11 12 years ago

Great job, Leeb! If you can shop out WH2O, you can handle anything.

Quoted from Leeb18509:

I have to do this on mine. What type of glue did you use?

Quoted from Leeb18509:

Game plays a whole lot different with Mantis and red rubbers ...

I recently installed the Mantis protectors, and I'm not very happy with them. I didn't have any problem with the install, but I find the targets to be much less responsive now. I'm thinking about removing them, but I like the fact that they cover up the busted ends of my ramps. Here's a thread I started on the subject:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-those-of-you-who-have-installed-mantis-wh2o-ramp-protectors

#12 12 years ago

and now that you fixed it up are you ready to sell it to your neighbor in Az?

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Great job, Leeb! If you can shop out WH2O, you can handle anything.
    Leeb18509 said:

I have to do this on mine. What type of glue did you use?
    Leeb18509 said:

Game plays a whole lot different with Mantis and red rubbers ...
    I recently installed the Mantis protectors, and I'm not very happy with them. I didn't have any problem with the install, but I find the targets to be much less responsive now. I'm thinking about removing them, but I like the fact that they cover up the busted ends of my ramps. Here's a thread I started on the subject:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-those-of-you-who-have-installed-mantis-wh2o-ramp-protectors

I used a pretty standard clear silicone adhesive on Bigfoot. Had to do it twice though, 2nd time I put some tie straps on and let it all set for 24H. So far so good.

My targets are registering okay. But the shot up the middle is smaller and I swear I'm getting more SDTM balls than before despite the claim that the protectors give you a little jog off the middle.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

and now that you fixed it up are you ready to sell it to your neighbor in Az?

Trade you straight up for your MM?

#15 12 years ago

damn so this was your 1st shop job and started with one of the harder ones

looks good

#16 12 years ago

That's hot. nice looking game!

#17 12 years ago

Nice going Leeb,Looks sharp,I just did the same to my White Water about 6 wks. ago-loving the freshness.

#18 12 years ago

I'd have to agree very nice shop job
    -very clean

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-real-deal-shop-job-with-pics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.