Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by finplanner69
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

shadow_brick (resized).jpg
IMG_20200418_112314.jpg
MVIMG_20200418_112252.jpg
IMG_20200418_112304.jpg
20200204_220819 (resized).jpg
20200209_160727 (resized).jpg
20200203_203953 (resized).jpg
20200209_160739 (resized).jpg
20171009_195012 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2020-04-12-11-43-39 (resized).png
Screenshot_2020-04-12-11-41-48 (resized).png
3ABA4AEF-0CD1-4C6B-9C78-D52CCE4723A5 (resized).jpeg
TOM # 24 (resized).jpg
TOM # 21 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 months ago
Quoted from HooperTriplett:

Looking to buy my first machine when the COVID turmoil reduces, so I'm doing my homework now. Get ready to unload your knowledge/opinions!
1. New or old? My favorite game is Theatre of Magic and would love to own one, but its 25 years old now. I know all machines will need some work over time but taking on an older machine as my first seems daunting, especially for someone with little mechanical skill. But the sentimental appeal of something I spent hours playing is hard to resist. Go with the heart and something old or something new(er)?
2. Machine recommendations? I like a game that has tasks to complete or collect, and so I'm more interested in playability than mastery or score maximization. A deep ruleset is great, but I'm a fair to average player so it's got to be entertaining. If not an older machine, what's a good first buy?
3. Accessories? What tools or gadgets does a first time buyer need? PinFooties? Pinball Skates? What don't I know I need?
Thanks in advance.

The most important things are:

1) how much do you have to spend?

2) how much do you have to spend?

3) how much do you have to spend?

4) what are your favorite pins that you have played?

#10 4 months ago

Looking to buy my first machine when the COVID turmoil reduces, so I'm doing my homework now. Get ready to unload your knowledge/opinions!
1. New or old? My favorite game is Theatre of Magic and would love to own one, but its 25 years old now. I know all machines will need some work over time but taking on an older machine as my first seems daunting, especially for someone with little mechanical skill. But the sentimental appeal of something I spent hours playing is hard to resist. Go with the heart and something old or something new(er)?
2. Machine recommendations? I like a game that has tasks to complete or collect, and so I'm more interested in playability than mastery or score maximization. A deep ruleset is great, but I'm a fair to average player so it's got to be entertaining. If not an older machine, what's a good first buy?
3. Accessories? What tools or gadgets does a first time buyer need? PinFooties? Pinball Skates? What don't I know I need?
Thanks in advance.

Quoted from Daditude:

The most important things are:
1) how much do you have to spend?
2) how much do you have to spend?
3) how much do you have to spend?
4) what are your favorite pins that you have played?

What is your budget? If it is 20k, then I would buy a TOM and have HEP do a full resto. That would save all your problems/questions/issues.

Have you played POTC, WOZ, Wonka, Tron, MM, MB, AFM, JP2, MET, IM, DP, TBL, etc? All these are newer top tier games with depth. I love TOM too, but until you have seen everything out there and played them (or at least watched a youtube video of gameplay), it is hard to say what you should go for. Again, budget may be a concern.

You will ALWAYS have a better chance of a newer game (or fully restored older game) playing better for longer. TOM is also expensive, however, so buying older wouldn't really net you big bank account savings.

I typically move pinballs by myself. Pinball skates and/or a harbor freight lift are great. You need wrenches or sockets, Phillips head and flat head screw drivers, extra rubber rings and light bulbs, novus products, and micro fiber towels. Pin footies, mats, and dust covers are nice, but not necessary.

This really all comes down to how much you have to spend. Without that answered, there is no way to really give sound advice. Looking at a 7k machine won't help if you only have 3k to spend. More money equals more/better options.

What is your budget?

#23 4 months ago

I'm thinking 7 to 8k. Seems like a reasonable starting point.
Addams Family is a family favorite along with Shrek. I've enjoyed Star Trek Next Generation and XMen, but I'm not sure enough to own them. The recent Star Wars was fun.

With 7k-8k, you have a lot of options. Here would be my thought process:

1) Would I get more enjoyment out of one pin or multiple?

2) What is the best pin (or pins ) I could get?

3) How much does newness/low plays matter to me?

I cannot answer those questions for you...only you can, but here is what I would suggest:

If it were me, I would have more fun with 2 or 3 (or more), instead of 1...so I would make a list of my favorite pins. For instance, I love medieval madness, but for the same price I could get a flash Gordon, paragon, the shadow, and a pinbot...i would MUCH RATHER have those.

I would recommend "bang for the buck" pins or ones that are under priced. There are lists on pinside threads, on the pinside top 100 custom settings, and on the internet. These will depend largely on your tastes, of course, but older pins tend to have a much better bang for the buck...so finding restored/pristine/huo examples is the best of both worlds. For 7-8k, you could easily get 7-15 EMs, 5-10 early SS pins, 3-4 great Williams system 11 games, 2-3 early dmd games, 2 newer "b" titles or lower priced games, or just 1 new game.

Some underpriced titles I would suggest are paragon, pinbot, high speed, the getaway, judge dread, fish tales, revenge from Mars, world cup soccer, taxi, flash Gordon, 8 ball deluxe LE, stargate, nba fastbreak, black hole, etc.

TOM costs around 7k already...but for that, you could have multiples that would probably hold your interest longer. Home games are way different than games on route because depth and variation starts to become EXTREMELY important.

Next, you can ask how good of condition can you get them in. A lot of people fix up early SS and Williams system 11 games...so finding a really nice example often isn't a lot more than just a "players quality" game...plus they are fairly easy to work on if you need to down the line.

Newness of a game doesn't always equate less trouble-shooting. Poorly made new games will break down as easy as extremely well kept older games. You will eventually have to do some maintenance regardless.

If TOM is far better than owning 2-5 games for you, then I would go for it. It likely won't be, however...it isn't for most collectors. If you decide on multiple games, get the best bang for the buck pins. Get the best examples you can get. Use the top 100 list to get an idea of what others like compared to you, along with what will hold/increase in value.

#29 4 months ago

Great point about a home game - I worry about "depth" of a game that I can play all the time. The difference between what I can do/how long I can play an older game like Taxi or Diner to something like Wizard of Oz seems huge. Gets back to the bang-for-the-buck question.

I keep my collection very up to date here on pinside. If you check it out, you will see that I like games from ALL eras. They all offer different things. Sometimes I want a quick game and sometimes a marathon game. Sometimes I like ramps and sometimes I like drop targets. On and on.Variety is the spice of life. Only you know what you value the most.

The shadow is a game I would really recommend checking out. It is built incredibly well, it is VERY deep, its ranked high, and it is under priced. If you paired that with an iron man or x-men (for example), you would have an awesome, newer, underpriced 2 pin collection with variation.

#34 4 months ago
Quoted from AJNada:

If I had a budget of 7 or 8k, I would seek out a pair of really solid titles in the range of 3-4k each. Maybe even a 3rd pin around the 2k mark.
You could potentially have a nice combination of 1990s DMD pins and something from the Williams System 11 series.
Then, if you get bored of one, sell or trade it so the variety stays fresh. Having a little variety can go a long way.

That is the other good thing (besides variety and having a pin down with more to still enjoy) about buying multiple instead of just one...you can sell them off and get others or even trade up and build a collection.

#57 4 months ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I just looked at your local CL ads and with your budget in mind I would start with these.
Local so you can play them and make a good decision without surprises of long distance shipping. Good luck in the hobby.
-Mike[quoted image][quoted image]

Dropping him a note is literally on my to-do list for today!

Bro...you need to contact that guy about The Shadow.
That seems reasonable for the condition, but be sure to get the best price you can.

#58 4 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Bro...you need to contact that guy about The Shadow.
That seems reasonable for the condition, but be sure to get the best price you can.

Ok...i double-checked everything...that is a very good deal on a top quality pin. He also says he has a stern spiderman for sale.

If I were you, I would try to do a package deal on those 2 ASAP.

#62 4 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Maverick is a terrible pin. There's a reason it's known as Maver-ick.
Shadow is a GREAT pin.
Go with The Shadow. Sanctum area has been repaired poorly (so you don't know how bad the magnet burn damage is underneath), the original WPC power driver board is replaced with a Rottendog, and the lighting is atrocious, but that can be fixed. CPR still has brand new Shadow playfieds if you really get into it and decide it's a keeper.
Given the bad sanctum repair and no original WPC board, I think you can make a package deal for Shadow and Spiderman he has for $7000-$7500. That'd be a good pair of machines because of differing play style and both are quality.

I was thinking an offer of 7k for both would be a good start too.

Quoted from Butch2099:

If you like magic, My brother has a new in box Houdini in Goodyear, full warranty. Easy garage pickup, $5500. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/92861

I love Houdini. Great game and nearby too.

#70 3 months ago

Dropping him a note is literally on my to-do list for today!

Did you reach out to him about The Shadow??? What's the news?

#72 3 months ago

Checking it on Sunday!

Did you ask about spiderman and/or any other pins?

#77 3 months ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Deals like that shadow might not last 4 days! Don’t let it become your first painful pinball missed opportunity lesson. Go tomorrow and make it happen if you can before someone else does.

/\this

Also, putting an ad up for everyone in a pinball forum to view is a risky move. Most people are nice about it, but people have been sniped by doing that in the past.

#87 3 months ago

Deal struck - picking up the Shadow tomorrow!

Nicely done!

Make sure and ask him what else he may have. You might just find a good 2 pin deal.

#89 3 months ago

Some inspiration:

20200203_203953 (resized).jpg20200204_220819 (resized).jpg20200209_160727 (resized).jpg20200209_160739 (resized).jpg
#98 3 months ago

Deal struck - picking up the Shadow tomorrow!

Please show off some pics once you get it.

#100 3 months ago

Proud owner![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Killer!!!!!!!

Have you been playing it all day? What do you think?

#102 3 months ago

Not yet! Snuck in a couple games this morning but chores most of the day. The DMD is now flickering so I'm going to check the wires to see if something jiggled loose in moving. Nervous...

Just save the time and get a color dmd.

Did you end up getting an even better deal or asking about any other pins?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Easton, MA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside