20200203_203953 (resized).jpg
20200209_160739 (resized).jpg
20171009_195012 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2020-04-12-11-43-39 (resized).png
Screenshot_2020-04-12-11-41-48 (resized).png
3ABA4AEF-0CD1-4C6B-9C78-D52CCE4723A5 (resized).jpeg
TOM # 24 (resized).jpg
TOM # 21 (resized).jpg

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do you go to any pinball tournaments? Know any local pinball people? Local Pinball tournaments is a good place to find out about games for sale.

Got a local place that I've been going to (D&D) but not recently and I was really looking forward to my first ZapCon, now cancelled. I do feel like i need to play Spider-Man, Shadow, Wizard of Oz, and some others to get a better sense of them.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

ToM is a beautiful pin, but it's pretty shallow for home. I have a friend who lost one in the Carr fire a couple years ago, but when he rebuilt his life, he got a Ghostbusters Prem, then a bit later an AfMr LE, and I asked him if he would ever get another ToM and he made a face that said "no." Once he had played the newer stuff, he couldn't go back.

Im actually the opposite; the more I play new games like munsters, deadpool, Maiden, Alice cooper and so on, the more I appreciate the classic B/W 90s games.

The classic 90s have a special feeling to them that I (almost) never get when playing games made after ~2010. Somehow I enjoy the pins between 2000 - 2010 more than the newest ones too.

Edit: realised I missed the thread topic. If you have fond memories of ToM then you should definitely get one. The game is fun, looks gorgeous and have great toys like the trunk. I have one at home and it is played as frequently as my other pins, also its my wifes favourite so it will stay for that reason too.

#53 3 years ago

To me, variety is the spice of pinball. I’ve got all EMs, but mine all combined cost around 8K original purchase price, and with so many they don't get old. I really enjoy challenging my wife to a game, asking her to choose a pin, and watching her walk down the row of machines to choose one. I’m not saying you have to get EMs, I’m just agreeing with the advice of many others here that you can get more bang for the buck by getting more than one machine. I would never trade all my pins to someone for a single 8K pin.

#54 3 years ago

I just looked at your local CL ads and with your budget in mind I would start with these.
Local so you can play them and make a good decision without surprises of long distance shipping. Good luck in the hobby.
-Mike

Screenshot_2020-04-12-11-41-48 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-04-12-11-41-48 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-04-12-11-43-39 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-04-12-11-43-39 (resized).png
#55 3 years ago

Saw that Shadow in Tucson, last night.

That would be on my list of Pins Owned if I still lived in Pima County.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Saw that Shadow in Tucson, last night.
That would be on my list of Pins Owned if I still lived in Pima County.

Dropping him a note is literally on my to-do list for today!

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I just looked at your local CL ads and with your budget in mind I would start with these.
Local so you can play them and make a good decision without surprises of long distance shipping. Good luck in the hobby.
-Mike[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from HooperTriplett:

Bro...you need to contact that guy about The Shadow.
That seems reasonable for the condition, but be sure to get the best price you can.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Bro...you need to contact that guy about The Shadow.
That seems reasonable for the condition, but be sure to get the best price you can.

Ok...i double-checked everything...that is a very good deal on a top quality pin. He also says he has a stern spiderman for sale.

If I were you, I would try to do a package deal on those 2 ASAP.

#59 3 years ago

Dropping him a note is literally on my to-do list for today

Best of luck. Challenging and fun game that deserves more respect, imo.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike[quoted image][quoted image]

Maverick is a terrible pin. There's a reason it's known as Maver-ick.

Shadow is a GREAT pin.

Go with The Shadow. Sanctum area has been repaired poorly (so you don't know how bad the magnet burn damage is underneath), the original WPC power driver board is replaced with a Rottendog, and the lighting is atrocious, but that can be fixed. CPR still has brand new Shadow playfieds if you really get into it and decide it's a keeper.

Given the bad sanctum repair and no original WPC board, I think you can make a package deal for Shadow and Spiderman he has for $7000-$7500. That'd be a good pair of machines because of differing play style and both are quality.

#61 3 years ago

If you like magic, My brother has a new in box Houdini in Goodyear, full warranty. Easy garage pickup, $5500. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/92861

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Maverick is a terrible pin. There's a reason it's known as Maver-ick.
Shadow is a GREAT pin.
Go with The Shadow. Sanctum area has been repaired poorly (so you don't know how bad the magnet burn damage is underneath), the original WPC power driver board is replaced with a Rottendog, and the lighting is atrocious, but that can be fixed. CPR still has brand new Shadow playfieds if you really get into it and decide it's a keeper.
Given the bad sanctum repair and no original WPC board, I think you can make a package deal for Shadow and Spiderman he has for $7000-$7500. That'd be a good pair of machines because of differing play style and both are quality.

I was thinking an offer of 7k for both would be a good start too.

Quoted from Butch2099:

If you like magic, My brother has a new in box Houdini in Goodyear, full warranty. Easy garage pickup, $5500. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/92861

I love Houdini. Great game and nearby too.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Have eyeballed that many times over the past month - wish I had some experience with the gameplay. Good reviews, and that and Wizard of Oz would be the two newer games that we'd consider right now.

#64 3 years ago

Have eyeballed that many times over the past month - wish I had some experience with the gameplay. Good reviews, and that and Wizard of Oz would be the two newer games that we'd consider right now.

The people I've sold that title to love it, but I understand buying without playing.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

the best pin (IMO) is Attack From Mars remake it's a 25 year old classic that's also brand new best of both world imo.

Excellent pin. Maybe the best. Easily approachable and still things to do longer then mm.
It would be my choice as a first pin, if there were still LE's available.
Just cant bring myself to buy a special edition, since i would consider it a poor buy compared to LE.

I'm also looking out for the familys first pin, but on hold until gameroom is complete.
I'm currently leasing a jp-pro just to feel out if the family enjoys pinball.
Sofar so good. Fairly simple and straight forward, though we find some of the shots really hard and to(?) Narrow.
Maybe consider a lease ts?

#66 3 years ago

Shadow is to me a great game. I like the way it polarizes the players. It seems to me shadow is a love hate in the overall pinball crowd.

If you start consistently blowing up great games on shadow, you tend to get better overall in pinball.

I like that.

Digression over...

#67 3 years ago

This might not be the most popular or exciting advice, but if you've never owned a game before, I would take about half of your budget (+/-) and buy one game to start with to see if you enjoy actually owning pinball machines. As many have said, eventually something is going to break, be it on a board or something mechanical, and you're going to need to figure out how to fix it, or have someone else do it. Do you want to spend time chasing down and fixing issues? Do you like pinball enough where you want one of these giant boat anchors in your house? Are you prepared to want a second one in 3 months (because you will). It were me, I would ease in with something like a System 11 (Taxi, Diner, Pinbot, High Speed, etc.). A very low (in pinball prices) dollar commitment for a high fun factor. Lots of parts available, pretty reliable, and easy to work on. After you have a game for a bit you'll figure out if its a hobby you enjoy. If you want a 7-8K game or a combination there of, you can easily sell it and get your money back out of it. Or you can add a second more expensive game in. I feel like there is very little positive side to leaping in the deep end first.

I would play as many games as you can and just get what you have the most fun with. You may be surprised to find out that the more expensive a game is doesn't always equate to being the most fun. I believe you mentioned WoZ which is a great example. I (personally) think that game is a woodchopping slog of a mess and I don't have fun playing it. Would I take one over my Taxi for the same price? Sure, because I would make more money on it. Would I rather actually stay home and play my Taxi instead of going to a location to play WoZ, you bet. Get out there and play as many as you can and see what sticks - that's how I've picked every game in my collection.

#68 3 years ago

Buy that Shadow.... now! Play it and then keep looking for other pins. You won’t lose money if you decide to sell it later. Great way to cut your teeth and with being stuck at home might as well go for it!

I asked about Houdini as my first pin and got very strong feedback not to buy. Check out my user name for started threads and you’ll see I had a similar question. I haven’t played it but I was told it’s got some very tight shots which can be frustrating for a more novice player. There is a reason these pins that sold new for $7k are selling new for $5500...

I had a Sterns POTC which is a great approachable pin for a decent cost. High playability for family and kids. I sold as I didn’t like the stop and go, no flow shots. Got bored of it after ~12 months.

Picked up a TZ as a good deal and liking it so far. I have just one pin and recognize that one pin no matter what can get old. Sometimes my TZ just makes me mad as I can’t hit the shots. This is when another machine would be nice to play. Not sure it’s my forever pin but a TOM and TZ might be a sweet setup. Need the wife to agree to 2 pins vs just 1

TOM is a machine I want to own one day but with the heavy speculation of a remake I won’t buy one until they come out. Purist will want an original but most would rather pay $7k for a new one thus limiting value of old ones. I’d rather buy a 2-3 year old remake.

WOZ is a beautiful game and I like it but haven’t played it enough to really draw conclusions. I wouldn’t mind owning one and it’s packed with features.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

TOM is a machine I want to own one day but with the heavy speculation of a remake I won’t buy one until they come out. Purist will want an original but most would rather pay $7k for a new one thus limiting value of old ones. I’d rather buy a 2-3 year old remake.

Especially if it comes from the factory with the Tiger Saw illusion actually working instead of just being window dressing. This would be pretty low-hanging fruit for CGC and give a lot of "WOW factor" to the re-release.

#70 3 years ago

Did you reach out to him about The Shadow??? What's the news?

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Did you reach out to him about The Shadow??? What's the news?

Checking it on Sunday!

#72 3 years ago

Checking it on Sunday!

Did you ask about spiderman and/or any other pins?

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Did you ask

Buy that Shadow.... now! Play it and then keep looking for other pins. You won’t lose money if you decide to sell it later. Great way to cut your teeth and with being stuck at home might as well go for it!
I asked about Houdini as my first pin and got very strong feedback not to buy. Check out my user name for started threads and you’ll see I had a similar question. I haven’t played it but I was told it’s got some very tight shots which can be frustrating for a more novice player. There is a reason these pins that sold new for $7k are selling new for $5500...
I had a Sterns POTC which is a great approachable pin for a decent cost. High playability for family and kids. I sold as I didn’t like the stop and go, no flow shots. Got bored of it after ~12 months.
Picked up a TZ as a good deal and liking it so far. I have just one pin and recognize that one pin no matter what can get old. Sometimes my TZ just makes me mad as I can’t hit the shots. This is when another machine would be nice to play. Not sure it’s my forever pin but a TOM and TZ might be a sweet setup. Need the wife to agree to 2 pins vs just 1
WOZ is a beautiful game and I like it but haven’t played it enough to really draw conclusions. I wouldn’t mind owning one and it’s packed with features.

Wow. Great thread and I appreciate learning from someone who is just a year ahead of me in the process!

Most importantly, did the wife get her game?!

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Did you ask about spiderman and/or any other pins?

He's mentioned it, but I'm hung-up on the Toby Maguire Spidey theme.

#75 3 years ago

Either way, make sure you play a few games on it if you can.

#76 3 years ago

Deals like that shadow might not last 4 days! Don’t let it become your first painful pinball missed opportunity lesson. Go tomorrow and make it happen if you can before someone else does.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Deals like that shadow might not last 4 days! Don’t let it become your first painful pinball missed opportunity lesson. Go tomorrow and make it happen if you can before someone else does.

/\this

Also, putting an ad up for everyone in a pinball forum to view is a risky move. Most people are nice about it, but people have been sniped by doing that in the past.

#78 3 years ago

Checking it on Sunday!

Take a mask or face covering and wipes to protect your family and the seller. There's plenty of Coronavirus floating around Tucson...

It's the best version of Stern Spiderman. JJ Jameson kills it on the voice clips. The crap they did for voice work on the comic reskin is just bad.

#79 3 years ago

My advice:

Get a second handed Guardians of the galaxy PRO.

Several reasons:
1. Complete machine with lots of features and toys (groot in the center, 2 ramps, 3 pops, magnet, rocket kicker), nice sounds, humor from the movie
2. Nice ruleset, not to deep but challenging for a moderate player
3. Great animations, lots of shots.
4. PRO versions to be modded to your own likings but packed with enough items out of the box. (I recommend you add a subwoofer JBL Stage 810, Cleland sound mod, shaker motor and convolux)
5. Price is fair for a second handed machine
6. Fairly new machine so low maintenance can be expected.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Totally agree with this. If there’s a pin I want to buy I make sure I can get there as soon as possible and am ready to leave with the pin that day.

Having sold LOTS of items on Craigslist I don’t hold spots. First come first serve with the $$$. Too many flakes and tire kickers to turn away someone with actual $$$ holding out hope for someone else.

Wife isn’t really into Pins so to your question she doesn’t care about a 2nd pin... I do

#81 3 years ago

You also have to know what your comfort level is on fixing these machines. Granted there's no guarantees with a new machine but something that's 20 + years old at this point is going to need the Playfield lifted at some point.
I personally don't see why $3,850 Shadow is a great deal but that's me. For not much more money he can get a new in box game.

#82 3 years ago

Don't forget to get on some of the pinball charity raffles. You never know! In 2017, I won a Stern SW pro, and I was able to upgrade to the premium by paying the price difference. 20171009_195012 (resized).jpg20171009_195012 (resized).jpg

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I personally don't see why $3,850 Shadow is a great deal but that's me. For not much more money he can get a new in box game.

A NIB Game is no guarantee against having to do maintenance / repair work.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

A NIB Game is no guarantee against having to do maintenance / repair work.

I did preface it by saying there's no guarantees and it depends on your level of mechanical ability. Some people just want to plug in and press the start button. A new game will have a warranty. One that is 26 years old does not.

#85 3 years ago

Deal struck - picking up the Shadow tomorrow!

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

My advice:
Get a second handed Guardians of the galaxy PRO.
Several reasons:
1. Complete machine with lots of features and toys (groot in the center, 2 ramps, 3 pops, magnet, rocket kicker), nice sounds, humor from the movie
2. Nice ruleset, not to deep but challenging for a moderate player
3. Great animations, lots of shots.
4. PRO versions to be modded to your own likings but packed with enough items out of the box. (I recommend you add a subwoofer JBL Stage 810, Cleland sound mod, shaker motor and convolux)
5. Price is fair for a second handed machine
6. Fairly new machine so low maintenance can be expected.

Have given this a second look, and things seem much improved with new code compared to when it was released, yes?

#87 3 years ago

Nicely done!

Make sure and ask him what else he may have. You might just find a good 2 pin deal.

#88 3 years ago

Maximum satisfaction incoming, congrats. One of my favorite machines. I haven't owned one for 10-15 years, but I miss it. I have a CPR gold playfield sitting here for when I find the one I want to restore to new.

The ColorDMD option for The Shadow is pretty sweet, too.

#89 3 years ago

Some inspiration:

20200203_203953 (resized).jpg20200203_203953 (resized).jpg20200204_220819 (resized).jpg20200204_220819 (resized).jpg20200209_160727 (resized).jpg20200209_160727 (resized).jpg20200209_160739 (resized).jpg20200209_160739 (resized).jpg
#90 3 years ago

Very exciting for you. Congrats on your first pin.

...now, start making accomodations for your second one!

#91 3 years ago

Congrats, enjoy it!

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Don't forget to get on some of the pinball charity raffles. You never know! In 2017, I won a Stern SW pro, and I was able to upgrade to the premium by paying the price difference. [quoted image]

I always wondered if they would let you do that. Glad to know you can, If im ever lucky enough! Either way great charity

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

WOZ is one of the best games ever made IMO. Feature packed, immersive light and sound package and an incredible rule set. The only game I ever purchased without playing it first and haven't had a single regret!

#94 3 years ago

Congrats! I wish my first pin was a Shadow. What a great way to start.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from snappahead:

Congrats! I wish my first pin was a Shadow. What a great way to start.

It's actually a terrible place to start because there not many pins above it and a TON of pins that are worse.

#96 3 years ago

What the scoop?! Are you an official pin owner now?

Hope so, enjoy!

#98 3 years ago

Please show off some pics once you get it.

#99 3 years ago

Proud owner!

IMG_20200418_112304.jpgIMG_20200418_112304.jpgIMG_20200418_112314.jpgIMG_20200418_112314.jpgMVIMG_20200418_112252.jpgMVIMG_20200418_112252.jpg
#100 3 years ago

Proud owner![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Killer!!!!!!!

Have you been playing it all day? What do you think?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 91.00
8,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Petaluma, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-purchase/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.