Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by manadams
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

97C939B0-B05D-4DED-8B14-50314A4F67F3 (resized).jpeg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

So after reading the how to not get scammed I am a little worried. Ive attached the last conversation with the seller. I just thought someone with years of experience would use a escrow service. A wire sounds scary to me. He has completed 5 sales it says and has only 1 review. I reached out to that member for a followup and asked for shipping tips since we are both in the same state. We are really in love and want this pinball machine it will be our first so trying to not let that cloud our judgement. Thanks in advance.

Joe

I sent the guy a message saying a simple yes or no on the machine that I had a couple from CA. Interested. I really have more but people don't respond. I will waited until 12 noon tomorrow to see what is what. Yes I have been doing this a while. I am a collector , buyer/seller (when needed). I am not a flipper. It has taken me years if buying and selling to get to where I am. Selling and parting with a machine is like getting rid of a something close. A rough 2021 start has had me reevaluate alot of things. Pinball is an expensive hobby. Not cheap. Things break. Just like a car, you have to maintain the machine(depending how much time playing it).

How I operate and do business might be different then dealing with the next guy you buy a machine from. Sellers love local sales, cash and usually hate to breakdown, and prep and wrap a machine. I do it to complete the deal. Most don't.

Monster Bash LE remake is a beautiful family fun machine. It is a expensive toy.

Sorry for the long ranting. Just lost both of my in-laws within days. Wife is making funeral arrangements and I am typing to you from a hospital room as we speak. No lie.

If you buy the machine you have to wait until I get out and can prep the machine. It ain't going no where.

I require either a certified band check or the money wired to me. It takes trust and communication on both sides to MB ake a deal happen. You will meet alit of good people in thos hobby, jerks and flaky people. If I don't get a good vibe I walk away.

After everything clears and you have my info I have yours you have to make shipping arrangements. Most people use STI or something similar. Being that you are in the longest spot in the USA from me it cost more.

I have to rest. Taking catnap. Trying to rest. I hope you get the machine, just have to check with other person first and trying to shred some good info into new people into the hobby. For the record I have bought my Spuderman machine from a guy in CA years ago and just recently sold and shipped my Scared Stiff to a couple in CA.

Talk to you soon

Scott

#2 3 years ago

I'm sure others will chime in with questions. My 2cents - You're in a giant metro area (LA), so you should be able to find one locally with a little patience and save on shipping.

Who is the seller? No harm in posting their user name and maybe others can vouch or not.

#3 3 years ago

I would pass on this. Just like the above commenter said--you live somewhere you should be able to find and purchase one *in person*. There's no shortage of horror stories from folks getting screwed buying from a distance. Just be patient, do your research, and find a game that's close enough to allow you to pick it up or have delivered.

That said, welcome to the hobby! Make room for more, because there *will* be more

#4 3 years ago

Cash on the glass and picking up yourself is the way to go. As previous poster mentioned, you should be able to find a pin near you if you have some patience and keep being on the lookout.

#5 3 years ago

found the sale being referenced, matches pin and feedback stats ,etc.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/109183

#6 3 years ago

I assume he’s referring to this one.

Verbiage and sentence structure is similar and has a Scared Stiff in his sales history.

Looks legit to me, but then again I don’t know the guy.

joeandsummer if this is the machine look at the sales history as well as the feedback.
    Has sold 5 machines in the past and has been a member for 9 years with several post that also seems legit.

Ultimately you have to go with what your comfortable doing and it’s up to you.
    I’ve had people give me character references as well as use me as a reference when buying machines (not unusual).
    If he’s been on here 9 years some members will know him.

97C939B0-B05D-4DED-8B14-50314A4F67F3 (resized).jpeg97C939B0-B05D-4DED-8B14-50314A4F67F3 (resized).jpeg
    #7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

found the sale being referenced, matches pin and feedback stats ,etc.

Posted as I was typing.

#8 3 years ago

Wait and find another one. Even if it is legit, the whole situation already sounds like a big headache and the deal isn't even done. I'd walk.

#9 3 years ago

Find a game you can see with your eyes, take home yourself and pay cash for.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Find a game you can see with your eyes, take home yourself and pay cash for.

^ ^ ^

#11 3 years ago

How does a NIB game have low plays But it does play mint

#12 3 years ago

When someone goes on an on about woes me stuff when trying to sell me something and then asks for a shady wire or money order I just run for the nearest exit. Not knowing anything more than the conversation you posted I would say bye bye. Granted I know nothing else about who the seller is, etc......but the way it reads just tastes scammy to me.

#13 3 years ago

Seems like you may have reviewed Vids guide buying and selling games . Escrow only way suggested if you must have long distance touchless purchase . The guide would be good read or reread . Suggest seller review as well . If purchase not properly secured you would be better served looking local .

Bad deals not worth the risk .

Enjoy the day Shane

#14 3 years ago

Go with your gut and there are a lot of machines for sale locally in your area! First time buyer get something new. It should reduce the stress. You can see what you are getting. Newer pins, the main concern is playfield problems (such as pooling). you can look up here to find out concerns. This site is not shy in pointing out quality issues. Otherwise check to see if everything works and look for obvious cosmetic issues (cabinet dings/scratches). there are plenty of reputable owners and sellers. Their Pinside "resume" will help you decide.
    Good Luck it is a fun hobby.

#15 3 years ago

It’s easy to get caught up and fall in love with a game, but sometimes you’ve gotta know when to walk. This just seems more complicated than it’s worth. I’d put up a Wanted ad on here and keep searching.
    The fomo or “want it now” mentality in pinball is a recipe for headaches and losing money. I’ve learned that the hard way.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from joeandsummer:

We are really in love and want this pinball machine it will be our first

You can buy Monster Bash (Classic Edition) new from the manufacturer. There is a link to distributors at the bottom of this page: https://www.chicago-gaming.com/coinop/monster-bash

EDIT: I don’t think new users can reply to threads that are on fire so if joeandsummer has further input it may take a day or two before they can post here again.

#17 3 years ago

Just based on reading the sellers first paragraph, I would walk. Doesn’t sound right to me.

Besides, everyone else is right: cash on the glass...

Best advice: be patient. Buy local (or within driving distance) or buy from a distributor

#18 3 years ago

“Cash on glass” only is BS. Is it preferable? Obviously!

But we are in the middle of the pandemic and with zoom/iPhones you can decently get an idea of the machine virtually. Just make sure you talk on the phone and have confidence in the guy on the other end. There is always a risk but people rarely get burned if they use common sense (like walking away from the shady conversation you posted). With services like STI buying across country is easy.

My tip: use PayPal friends and family to pay for the machine and don’t send the full amount until your shipping provider confirms they are on the premises looking at the machine. Transferring with PayPal is instant.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Cash on glass” only is BS

Cash on the glass or no deal...pandemic or not there are safe ways to do a transaction in person

Wire money
    Paypal
    Certified check
    Nigerian gold
    No thank you

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from no-extra-balls:

Cash on the glass or no deal...pandemic or not there are safe ways to do a transaction in person

Then you’re losing out. A huge % of pinside deals use shipping, the vast majority without issue. Let me guess, you didn’t buy anything online until 2015?

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Then you’re losing out. A huge % of pinside deals use shipping, the vast majority without issue. Let me guess, you didn’t buy anything online until 2015?

How am I losing out if I can easily sell a game locally with no problem?
    WTF does that have to do with ordering online?

Let me guess, you didnt get into pinball until 2020?

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

When someone goes on an on about woes me stuff when trying to sell me something and then asks for a shady wire or money order I just run for the nearest exit. Not knowing anything more than the conversation you posted I would say bye bye. Granted I know nothing else about who the seller is, etc......but the way it reads just tastes scammy to me.

It sure does, screams scam to me.

#23 3 years ago

Someone just bout a NIB MBLE the other day. If there are still NIB I would go that route man.

#24 3 years ago

Very hard pass for me. Way too much story here for me to feel comfortable. Like others have said I would walk away from this one and look for something local or with a little more transparency/less headache.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

My tip: use PayPal friends and family to pay for the machine and don’t send the full amount until your shipping provider confirms they are on the premises looking at the machine. Transferring with PayPal is instant.

Worst advice given in a long time on pinside. What you advise for shipping security is laughable at best, as for using family and friends any money sent that route is lost forever if anything goes amiss because you have no recourse to get funds returned.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Worst advice given in a long time on pinside. What you advise for shipping security is laughable at best, as for using family and friends any money sent that route is lost forever if anything goes amiss because you have no re-coarse to get funds returned.

Actually you have the same legal recourse that you do when a cash on glass deal goes wrong.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Actually you have the same legal recourse that you do when a cash on glass deal goes wrong.

Paypal will not be very friendly with you when they see you transferring several thousand dollars as F & F. PayPal wants its cut for the service it provides. You are playing with fire.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Paypal will not be very friendly with you when they see you transferring several thousand dollars as F & F. PayPal wants its cut for the service it provides. You are playing with fire.

Not arguing that the money isnt gone once you press the send button. My point is that it offers the same protection of using cash- none.

#29 3 years ago

So after reading the how to not get scammed I am a little worried. Ive attached the last conversation with the seller. I just thought someone with years of experience would use a escrow service. A wire sounds scary to me. He has completed 5 sales it says and has only 1 review. I reached out to that member for a followup and asked for shipping tips since we are both in the same state. We are really in love and want this pinball machine it will be our first so trying to not let that cloud our judgement. Thanks in advance.
    Joe
    I sent the guy a message saying a simple yes or no on the machine that I had a couple from CA. Interested. I really have more but people don't respond. I will waited until 12 noon tomorrow to see what is what. Yes I have been doing this a while. I am a collector , buyer/seller (when needed). I am not a flipper. It has taken me years if buying and selling to get to where I am. Selling and parting with a machine is like getting rid of a something close. A rough 2021 start has had me reevaluate alot of things. Pinball is an expensive hobby. Not cheap. Things break. Just like a car, you have to maintain the machine(depending how much time playing it).
    How I operate and do business might be different then dealing with the next guy you buy a machine from. Sellers love local sales, cash and usually hate to breakdown, and prep and wrap a machine. I do it to complete the deal. Most don't.
    Monster Bash LE remake is a beautiful family fun machine. It is a expensive toy.
    Sorry for the long ranting. Just lost both of my in-laws within days. Wife is making funeral arrangements and I am typing to you from a hospital room as we speak. No lie.
    If you buy the machine you have to wait until I get out and can prep the machine. It ain't going no where.
    I require either a certified band check or the money wired to me. It takes trust and communication on both sides to MB ake a deal happen. You will meet alit of good people in thos hobby, jerks and flaky people. If I don't get a good vibe I walk away.
    After everything clears and you have my info I have yours you have to make shipping arrangements. Most people use STI or something similar. Being that you are in the longest spot in the USA from me it cost more.
    I have to rest. Taking catnap. Trying to rest. I hope you get the machine, just have to check with other person first and trying to shred some good info into new people into the hobby. For the record I have bought my Spuderman machine from a guy in CA years ago and just recently sold and shipped my Scared Stiff to a couple in CA.
    Talk to you soon
    Scott

I don't know how long you have been looking before you decided on Monster Bash, but in that price range, you can have a choice of several nice playing pins. If you are sure MB is what you want, then go for it. But take your time and make sure. You get the "wrong" pin and you will burn out quickly.

However, there is a MB for sale in Lake Elsinore CA. That is on the other side of the mountains and only 99 miles from you. With this one you can see it, feel it, and play it. Then lay your cash on the glass and hire someone local to move it for you, if you cannot move it yourself.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/109276

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Using Paypal correctly alleviates the need for legal recourse.

#31 3 years ago

Joe
    Talk to you soon
    Scott

Are you buying a game or this guy’s life story?

I’d find another game to buy.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

My point is that it offers the same protection of using cash- none.

That doesnt make any sense. A cash deal is done in person with the buyer inspecting the game, playing it a bit, talk to the seller etc.
    How is that in any way related to sending someone some money and hoping something shows up?

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

“Cash on glass” only is BS. Is it preferable? Obviously!
    But we are in the middle of the pandemic and with zoom/iPhones you can decently get an idea of the machine virtually. Just make sure you talk on the phone and have confidence in the guy on the other end. There is always a risk but people rarely get burned if they use common sense (like walking away from the shady conversation you posted). With services like STI buying across country is easy.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Quoted from cottonm4:

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Not arguing that the money isnt gone once you press the send button. My point is that it offers the same protection of using cash- none.

With all due respect, you should consider a refresher course in writing on how to make a point without leaving anyone confused.

#34 3 years ago

That doesnt make any sense. A cash deal is done in person with the buyer inspecting the game, playing it a bit, talk to the seller etc.
    How is that in any way related to sending someone some money and hoping something shows up?

- have a phone call with the seller
    - have a video conference to watch him playing the game thoroughly and going through error menus
    - ask for detailed photos of under playfield/boards/mechs/playfield
    - do not send any money until your shipping person is at the location and confirms he is looking at the game

If you use common sense and take precautions there is very little risk of something going wrong. Biggest risk is the shipping itself.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

use common sense

Dude you should stop, common sense should should tell "you" that.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

do not send any money until your shipping person is at the location and confirms he is looking at the game

What shipping company will have the driver look over the game, confirm that you did in fact send the cash, confirm with the seller that he got paid, then wait around for the game to be packed up for shipping?

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Dude you should stop, common sense should should tell "you" that.

Lol we are buying $10k toys, there is a baseline lack of common sense to this whole thing.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Lol we are buying $10k toys, there is a baseline lack of common sense to this whole thing.

lol that I can't argue

#39 3 years ago

What shipping company will have the driver look over the game, confirm that you did in fact send the cash, confirm with the seller that he got paid, then wait around for the game to be packed up for shipping?

Pretty much every single one, payment is instant and they aren’t “looking over the game” they are simply confirming that the correct game is there. Have the seller be on a video call showing you the game being wrapped if you want, that works too. This is a lot easier than you think.

#40 3 years ago

I do cash on the glass and I carry/conceal EVERYWHERE I go so it's as secure as I wish it to be.

#41 3 years ago

Thanks so much for all the replies. We have been looking for 4 months. We have been playing at Laguna hills mall for about 3 years now. And decided to make the jump and purchase one after saving for a couple years. All the websites that show a nib Special Edition don’t have then when you call. We have seen new SE on eBay for 8,500. But would of loved to purchase a new limited. This seems like the closest thing to getting a new one.

Call me crazy but if we do this thing I see why escrow is so worth it. I won’t do it unless we go that route. My question at this point is if it is a scam and escrow falls through would my only loss be the escrow fee?

How likely in the next couple months would I be able to find a Limeted Edition model in my area? Seems tough. When we where shopping we wanted new. Seems like the way to go for a first time purchase. Didn’t realize the pinball sites are not up to date on inventory.

I’ll let you guys know what he says when I ask him to use a online escrow. Big chief is the seller.
    I think I touched on all the replies. I really do appreciate them.

#42 3 years ago

Post a wanted ad right here on Pinside there are absolutely a lot of pinsiders where you live and likely more than a few that have one or know of one in and around your area.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know how long you have been looking before you decided on Monster Bash, but in that price range, you can have a choice of several nice playing pins. If you are sure MB is what you want, then go for it. But take your time and make sure. You get the "wrong" pin and you will burn out quickly.
    However, there is a MB for sale in Lake Elsinore CA. That is on the other side of the mountains and only 99 miles from you. With this one you can see it, feel it, and play it. Then lay your cash on the glass and hire someone local to move it for you, if you cannot move it yourself.

Thanks so much for all the replies. We have been looking for 4 months. We have been playing at Laguna hills mall for about 3 years now. And decided to make the jump and purchase one after saving for a couple years. All the websites that show a nib Special Edition don’t have then when you call. We have seen new SE on eBay for 8,500. But would of loved to purchase a new limited. This seems like the closest thing to getting a new one.
    Call me crazy but if we do this thing I see why escrow is so worth it. I won’t do it unless we go that route. My question at this point is if it is a scam and escrow falls through would my only loss be the escrow fee?
    How likely in the next couple months would I be able to find a Limeted Edition model in my area? Seems tough. When we where shopping we wanted new. Seems like the way to go for a first time purchase. Didn’t realize the pinball sites are not up to date on inventory.
    I’ll let you guys know what he says when I ask him to use a online escrow. Big chief is the seller.

On the outside chance that you have missed my post in this fast moving thread, there is a MB located 100 miles from you.

#44 3 years ago

A guy in the MBr thread just bought a NIB LE from somewhere. I think there are still a few available. I just bought a MB CE and could not be happier for $6k. Call Mike at Automated.

#45 3 years ago

What makes you think the seller wants to deal with escrow?

I've been doing this for 20 years and if someone asked me to deal with escrow I'd politely decline.

Like many of the suggestions you'll get on Pinside, the real-world ramifications of escrow for pinball transactions are fairly limited.

#46 3 years ago

As far as monster bash goes, save some money and buy the CE... same game lower price.

#47 3 years ago

Put up a wanted ad and wait a week. I’d forget about the escrow and that game. It just seems like a headache.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Post a wanted ad right here on Pinside there are absolutely a lot of pinsiders where you live and likely more than a few that have one or know of one in and around your area.

This is great advice! Definitely worth a shot.

#49 3 years ago

I require either a certified band check or the money wired to me.

No problem then. Just have a band (Led Zepplin or any other band you happen to know) send him a check for it.

#50 3 years ago

Buying and selling involving shipping definitely takes trust. If post 5 and 6 is the game you are looking for, a lot of the seller's posts involve shipping questions/comments. Someone has to know him here. The long story seems odd, but what he writes makes a lot of sense and sounds like a nice guy. Yes, con men would come off as sounding trustful and nice though.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-purchase-1?hl=ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.