(Topic ID: 151075)

First post:Unimpressed with stern PIN edition?

By lodemia

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Anetpaul10
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Stern-WhoaNelliePInball_(resized).jpg
1783472495baa071fd6117850869220ffd0e2683_(resized).jpg
hellcat_(resized).jpg

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I wish they were 2k NIB...id get one for certain.

Just barely out of your price range at Costco:

1783472495baa071fd6117850869220ffd0e2683_(resized).jpg

#52 3 years ago

I would look for any machines on location near you before heading to the showroom floor. Also, this post is fishy as hell.

#53 3 years ago

No hidden meaning to my name,we just happen to live in the middle of nowhere near a ghost town that used to be called Lodemia. I've kind of adopted it as my internet pseudonym.

As far as the sarcasm icon I've used Forums before. Wasn't hard to figure out.

I appreciate the help, I really do. I understand that it came off as trolling, but as I said the first post, some people here have gotten pretty passionate in the stern sux vs stern is great camp, so I wanted to touch these machines and see for myself. My first impression wasn't that great based on those machines. I just needed a reality check and needed to know if my expectations were too high.

FWIW- I learned a lot, including how to use the pin side maps to not only find machines, but also to find other forum members. That has been worth the hit to the rep right off the bat. I hope to actually find a couple machines and become an active participant for the next noob.

Thanks for setting me straight
-Geoff

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I keep hoping for the rebirth of games with original themes, but those days are gone forever, over a long time ago...

Stern-WhoaNelliePInball_(resized).jpg

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just barely out of your price range at Costco:

Are they still for sale there? I thought they were discontinued?

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are they still for sale there? I thought they were discontinued?

Gary Stern said there are more to come, but lately I only see them at pool table places, not Costco.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I keep hoping for the rebirth of games with original themes, but those days are gone forever, over a long time ago...

Well there are also other manufactures doing them.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

The only reason I'm underwhelmed by the new Stern's is because they haven't really produced a game with a licensed theme I could really get onboard with. I think the games are great, but the themes for me are "meh" at best. I keep hoping for the rebirth of games with original themes, but those days are gone forever, over a long time ago...

Whoa Nellie

Americas Most Haunted

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

said there are more to come, but lately I only see them at pool table places, not Costco.

Did they ever fix the fact that you could not lift the playfield?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-the-pin-recall

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is nothing wrong with the home edition Sterns.
They were not designed for hardcore pinheads.
They were designed to be UPS shippable.
They come with an in-home warranty, so a non-pinhead housewife can own it.
The regular "Pro" versions of Stern games only come with a 90 day warranty on the circuit boards and displays (and you still have to service those parts yourself).

I'd take the Pin version of Transformers over the LE anyday. It looks like a fun game to play. Reminds me of Star Explorer, the first (and only) game my family owned. I was enamored with it and really didn't put two and two together that it wasn't a full arcade machine. The Pin would make a great home machine for non-collectors based on its looks.

#61 3 years ago

That Costco looks like the one I played. For what it's worth, it was at "American sale" in Joliet off of 55. I stopped by on the way home from a business trip. The piece of advice the salesguy gave me was that the flippers wear out so be sure to buy an extended warranty...

If you're reading this so far, we got hit hard with the flood and ice storms that hit the Midwest in late December and lost our basement in a flood. During the rebuild, the wife and I kicked around the idea of turning the 'Lego room' into an arcade, and that's what's fueling my current obsession.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Did they ever fix the fact that you could not lift the playfield?

The bottom of the cab opens, just like Hercules.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from lodemia:

The piece of advice the salesguy gave me was that the flippers wear out so be sure to buy an extended warranty...

It has the same flippers as any other Stern.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from lodemia:

The piece of advice the salesguy gave me was that the flippers wear out so be sure to buy an extended warranty...

Salesmen aren't doing their jobs if they aren't offering extended warranties. Haha

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Salesmen aren't doing their jobs if they aren't offering extended warranties. Haha

I know <sigh>. The person had no idea, it was just another THING on the floor, like a spa or a pool table.

Just watched that video, the guy should sell them, he would have done a far better job!

Finally, after much hunting and pecking, I figured out how to change a title. Not the most obvious, but I figured it out.

#67 3 years ago

Also check out the Pinside Top 100, while its not perfect it does show you the games that collectors enjoy. Welcome to Pinside

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

LOL, Fairbury, the arm pit of Illinois. I swear the people there live in another world.

Fairbury is a nice little Midwest town. Good people and businesses. Some would say you live just west of the asshole of the state.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, you could tell just from the title of the thread.

It was my first thoughts when I read the title also.

#70 3 years ago

So I started looking at prior posts from my doppleganger Kaneda, assuming we were the same person. as luck would have it, it looks like he came back yesterday, too. Total coincidence, I promise!

Back on topic, the PIN editions aren't listed in the archive,a nd it looks like Stern has distanced themselves from them. Smart move, but for the sake of others looking to get back into it, they should buy them back and get real machines out there.

I like the look of Iron Man and Batman, the Dark Knight. I'm a bit of a batman freak myself.

#71 3 years ago

Transformers: The Pin is in the database (I linked it to this thread), for some reason Avengers is not. I'll add it later.

I disagree with you lodemia, The Pin is a great idea by Stern and would really help develop the market. The target market is not those crazy people (myself to be sure) who post on Pinside every day. They are going after people that don't have a history with pinball and don't buy used games.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Transformers: The Pin is in the database (I linked it to this thread), for some reason Avengers is not. I'll add it later.
I disagree with you lodemia, The Pin is a great idea by Stern and would really help develop the market. The target market is not those crazy people (myself to be sure) who post on Pinside every day. They are going after people that don't have a history with pinball and don't buy used games.

...people like me...

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from lodemia:

...people like me...

Exactly.

The Pin would be great in any bedroom arcade.

#74 3 years ago

The problem with The Pin Is it was marketed as pretty much a no maintenance game, and such an animal does not exist. Pinball machines by their nature need occasional maintenance.

You might as well get a real arcade pinball machine and pay a little extra. That way you have physical access to the parts that need to be worked on and the game should last decades in a home use environment.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from lodemia:

a nd it looks like Stern has distanced themselves from them. Smart move, but for the sake of others looking to get back into it, they should buy them back and get real machines out there.

Gary Stern has stated that more "The Pins" are coming.

The 2 people I know that have them, love them.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Trying to figure out the hidden meaning of the account name.... I would have guessed podcazter or something like that

i'm still hoping for "baneda"

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That way you have physical access to the parts that need to be worked on and the game should last decades in a home use environment.

The glass flips up like an old Bally with a prop-rod, so that the rubbers can be replaced and the playfield waxed.

The bottom panel comes off to service the coils or LEDs.

All the mechs are standard, commercial duty Stern parts, so in a home environment they should last a long time.

It comes with a 1 year in-home warranty, same as a Chexx Hockey game.

#78 3 years ago

Is anyone impressed with that model?

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gary Stern has stated that more "The Pins" are coming.
The 2 people I know that have them, love them.

Good. Seems like they have a market. As a capitalist, I like the idea of options.

In case anyone from Stern happens to be reading this thread, I have two suggestions:
1. Just a little bit of training for the sales folks would do a long way. I'm in sales, and I know all the stereotypes, but nobody likes a customer that doesn't return. Even having a static sticker on the playfield comparing editions would be helpful.
2. Update the website to list the PIN edition along side the PRO/LE, etc, so that people like me can see that what I saw wasn't representative of full featured models and an informed consumer can compare. I swear I looked all over trying to match the iphone playfield pics and couldn't.

This should help make sure it's known that this is a half price machine for all the reasons listed in the thread.

The good news of all of this is that it lead me here, and I'm getting very comfortable with purchasing a NIB full size machine.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from lodemia:

Good. Seems like they have a market. As a capitalist, I like the idea of options.
In case anyone from Stern happens to be reading this thread, I have two suggestions:
1. Just a little bit of training for the sales folks would do a long way. I'm in sales, and I know all the stereotypes, but nobody likes a customer that doesn't return. Even having a static sticker on the playfield comparing editions would be helpful.
2. Update the website to list the PIN edition along side the PRO/LE, etc, so that people like me can see that what I saw wasn't representative of full featured models and an informed consumer can compare. I swear I looked all over trying to match the iphone playfield pics and couldn't.
This should help make sure it's known that this is a half price machine for all the reasons listed in the thread.
The good news of all of this is that it lead me here, and I'm getting very comfortable with purchasing a NIB full size machine.

How about a TRON LE, you could start a few threads analyzing the current price and where it will be down the road.

#81 3 years ago

I'm waiting for Tron The Pin. That's the only way I'm getting back in on that one.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from lodemia:

Even having a static sticker on the playfield comparing editions would be helpful.

How would you compare models to a non-pinhead, standard edition housewife?

-

This one is lit by LEDs and this one by incandescent lamps?

This one has a one year in-home warranty and this one has a 90 day warranty only on the circuit boards and you have to perform the labor yourself?

This one has a playfield that is 1.79" deeper?

This one takes quarters and this one does not?

-

A single mom is just going to want something she can assemble herself that her and the kids can play.

None of the things that pinheads worry about are going to matter to her.

#83 3 years ago

Erik.....can ask why you think this is suspicious? I take you have some?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 219.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 279.95
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside